News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: ...I need help on a choice of Dreadnought layout for my GK/WH army  (Read 940 times)

Offline Khulric

• Everyone's favorite lurker.
  • Armies: Necrons, Alpha Legion (everything)
Alright, I am using a Grey Knights List, and I'm starting to put together some witch hunters for allies...Though for Heavy I want to bring in some dreadnought's(2-3). 

A basic run down of the list I'm thinking of will be:

Grand Master(master crafted NFW)

Seraphim (melta bombs, and inferno pistols)

a couple units of FAGK(usually put one squad in the LRC if it's used)

2 maxed out battle sister squad (footsloggers)

2 chimera  transported IST's (one squad fitteed with melta's, the other with plasma)

Then either a LRC or some dread's

...And if I can fit a tankhunting Canoness(jump pack melta bombs set-up)

I haven't used any of the witch hunters units yet as I haven't gotten them, but I figure that versatility is the only true thing this list will have...I'm thinking of using the Assault cannon(yay rending)/Missile Launcher design for anti-everything.

Sorry if this is unclear and whatnot, but I figure why make the mistakes when I can learn the lesson from more experienced commanders.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Offline Atticus

• Chillbase
Well for Dreadnoughts i would def go with one set up with a Lascannon as DH are lacking in Tank hunting weapons with out IG inducted.  A ML is nice too if you have the points but CCW isnt that bad either.  I you thing you have enough ANti Armour then go with assault cannon now that GK Dreads get the rending assault four.  Ml if you want a little anti tank or CCW if you obvioulsy think it will get down n dirty  ;D.  Just be sure to put them in cover at the start of the game since they tend to be blown up quite easily,( especially against tau :( ).  For vehical upgrades id only go with the EA so you might be able to move into cover and hunkerdown from A.A. weapons.
Correct me if ive made any mistakes guys

=][= Innocence proves nothing!

Iron Warriors 13th Legion

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
If you are getting a unit of Serraphim w/ Meltabombs then I say go for it.  I inducted them in several games and they never failed me.  Use them for tank hunting.  If you field 2 Dreads then give them both Assualt cannons and ML and go infantry killing using the frag grenade on any units that are bunched together!  Keep them away from AT infantry/vehicles LoS, they die easily.  Also, if you need them to go tank hunting the assualt cannon (especially w/ 2 of them) can do the job, out of 8 shots you should get ~2 rolls of 6s.

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline Khulric

• Everyone's favorite lurker.
  • Armies: Necrons, Alpha Legion (everything)
Thanks for the help both of you, and I suppose another plus to the assault cannon is the cheapness in comparison to other weapons.

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
Thanks for the help both of you, and I suppose another plus to the assault cannon is the cheapness in comparison to other weapons.

If you take 2 dreads then go with assualt cannons, if only one the go with the Lascannon/ML combo and stay back and away!  Don't rely on them as they die easily.

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline Black Sword

• Finish painting your last mini and you die...
Yeah, my sense is that people expect too much from a dread.  They cost less than 5 Grey Knights, and they are easier to kill as 5 Knights -- their special weapons balancing the point cost.  So if you think of them as a small, specialized Purgation Squad, then you have the right frame of mind.  I know too many people who want to give them the status of a larger tank.

I'm an Assault Cannon lover, so I'm definitely with the 2 ACs if you take 2 Dreads, and the TL-LC/ML for the single Dread..... Terrain Is Your Friend!
Chapter Master,
Ordo Pacificus chapter,

40K Fight Club