News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The UK's EU Referendum  (Read 36066 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: The UK's EU Referendum
« Reply #180 on: July 1, 2016, 06:59:49 PM »
Thank you for the applause vonny.  :)

I'm also worried that the result has opened up a can of worms.   I do not want anyone anywhere being attacked just because of who they are.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #181 on: July 1, 2016, 07:00:28 PM »
Farage is certainly getting away with it at the moment, I'm sorry to say, but, just like Boris Johnson, his ambitions will come to nought in the end.  His xenophobic behaviour will also be exposed for exactly what it is too.  It may just take longer than many people, myself included, would like.

Just on the articles, I'm a subscriber to a blog about European politics of all types, as I am very interested in politics across all European states.  Reading how they have been reacting to Brexit has been very interesting.

Speaking of which, I haven't watched all of this yet, and I'm not sure whether any of you outside the UK can, but from the clips I've seen the French position is pretty well explained here: BBC News Channel - HARDtalk, Segolene Royal - French Environment Minister
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2020, 12:41:33 AM »
Many years later, so here we go then. Nothing sorted, nothing solved, a couple of governments later, and many Boy Snide's Outrageously Shiny Leather and PVC clad Soul Trains making themselves rich. Yay team.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2020, 09:58:15 AM »
Many years later, so here we go then. Nothing sorted, nothing solved, a couple of governments later, and many Boy Snide's Outrageously Shiny Leather and PVC clad Soul Trains making themselves rich. Yay team.

Different government, slightly different problem, but yeah man - I'm with you there.

I'm watching my government go full-on fascist and some 40% of my countrymen seem to be cool with it.

Horrible times we're living in, to be sure.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #184 on: January 31, 2020, 12:30:38 PM »

Different government, slightly different problem, but yeah man - I'm with you there.

I'm watching my government go full-on fascist and some 40% of my countrymen seem to be cool with it.

Horrible times we're living in, to be sure.
It has been interesting to see how the US government has become party over people.

I catch bits and pieces from the trial in the senate, and the argument now seems to have swung towards "A President can do what he needs to go get elected because it's in the best interest of the people."

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets re-elected that he tries to go for additional terms beyond what is constitutionally allowed.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #185 on: January 31, 2020, 03:30:48 PM »
It's a beslubbering horror show. The Democrats gave a knock-out-of-the-park indictment. Zero doubt in anyone's mind that Trump is both guilty and that what he did warrants removal.

The Republicans have just decided they don't give a amphetamine parrot. They're doubling down. They're torching this democracy.

Everything, at this point, hinges on November. It's terrifying.

And this is not to make light of what's going on in the UK, either. I understand you guys are going to wind up with medicine shortages? Isn't your economy going to tank now? And, Christ, if the only country you have to lean on is the US...Trump is going to beslubber you over, straight up. He does it with literally everyone.

Australia's on fire. New Zealand is tiny. I guess it's up to Canada to save the English-speaking world.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #186 on: January 31, 2020, 04:35:18 PM »
The situation here in the United Kingdom is so depressing that I do not even know where to start.  All this talk of unity from religious figures and Boris Johnson is pie in the sky.  To give you an idea of how divided the UK remains, this evidence is very persuasive.

Nigel Farage exacerbated the divisions with his abhorrent display of nativism and nationalism in the European Parliament on Wednesday, the country is being run by populist xenophobes, and no convincing case has ever been made for Brexit.  Economically, the prospects are poor.  The UK will be at the behest of Trump if a trade deal with the US is ever going to be considered, let alone signed, while the deal ith the EU will be time-consuming and complicated.  The only doubt is not whether the country will be worse off, but by how much it will be worse off.

Also on Wednesday's news, an elderly farmer was telling a BBC reporter how concerned he was about losing his Eastern European workers going forward, yet this very same farmer voted for Brexit.  This is the kind of story that is also starting to be repeated by fishermen and the Cornish (who will lose their European funding from the regional structual and cohesion fund), yet the majority of these groups also voted for Brexit.  It would be the politics of the absurd, yet it is the reality.

The ultimate irony of all of this is that the so called 'man of the people', Farage, with his offshore bank accounts, will waltz off to the US to help Trump, gloating all the way, while the people who he deceived will be the ones who will lose out the most and become even poorer as a result of Brexit.  One day they might realise the mendacity of Farage, Johnson, Gove, Rees-Mogg, and others, but I doubt it.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2020, 05:23:50 PM »
I feel pretty depressed thinking about American politics, I hope that things don't get too bad over in the UK. Maybe you guys can join the EFTA and eventually re-integrate with the EU economy so there isn't a recession and the country doesn't get poorer?
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: January 31, 2020, 07:23:18 PM »
EFTA's own website examines this option in detail here.  The problem is that the UK is leaving the EEA, which makes an agreement with EFTA countries which are in the EEA more difficult.  In addition, the UK government, thus far, has ruled out joining EFTA.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #189 on: January 31, 2020, 11:35:55 PM »
Oooph... this is just... crap.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: February 1, 2020, 03:13:15 PM »
With an early start Gibraltar is feeling the pinch as Spain makes trade conditions contingent on the issue being resolved.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #191 on: February 1, 2020, 03:41:37 PM »
But Gibraltar has repeatedly voted to remain with the UK, so I don’t know what they hope to accomplish.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: February 1, 2020, 04:23:14 PM »
A trade deal with the EU-UK can exclude Gibraltar so they gain no benefit from it. Unless Spain agrees otherwise which they won't without concessions.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #193 on: February 1, 2020, 04:41:24 PM »
I understand that but to poison the entire process even further, or even destroy it altogether, over what is a naked land grab for an area that doesn’t want to know seems like a very foolish thing to do.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: February 1, 2020, 04:43:51 PM »
Welcome to being the small fish in a big pond. The US is already going on about chlorinated chicken and it's only week one.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #195 on: February 1, 2020, 04:44:57 PM »
Is chlorinated chicken even a threat?  You Americans here, does it bother you?

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #196 on: February 1, 2020, 04:52:53 PM »
Have you any idea the number of US food recalls? Even beslubbering salad can be a threat. So you'd have no problem accepting US food standards? As they're probably going to get worse sooner than they ever get better.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #197 on: February 1, 2020, 05:11:07 PM »
I don’t, no.  I’ve never been.

Have Canada, Australia, Japan, New Zealand etc, been forced to accept US food standards?
« Last Edit: February 1, 2020, 05:16:39 PM by Calamity »

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: February 1, 2020, 05:14:37 PM »
They're terrible. Hence why the EU went Oh Hell No a while back. Food labelling is getting worse as well so lies of omission are become more common.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #199 on: February 1, 2020, 05:18:02 PM »
Check my post for an edit.

Bare in mind too, all these concerns are why I (eventually) voted remain.  Not for love of the EU, but to not rock the boat.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2020, 05:20:43 PM by Calamity »