News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar codex revamp (mk 367)  (Read 8462 times)

Offline Splog

Eldar codex revamp (mk 367)
« on: September 9, 2011, 06:55:26 PM »
Another attempt to revamp and update the Eldar codex with updated and new units.

I've been fleshing out a couple of ideas for a while now, and wanted to share them. I'll post a couple of the ideas here, and hopefully improve them from feedback received and spark some ideas for others.

At the high level, the changes that I'd like to see in the codex is an emphasis on the three strands of the Eldar forces as an echo to the Kabal, Wych, and Homunculi strands for the Dark Eldar. For the craftworlders these strands would be: Professional Military (Aspects), Citizen Militia (guardians, and guardian crewed warmachines), and auxiliaries (peripheral forces; outcasts, corsairs, harlequins). Also, all non apocalypse sized units from FW moved into the codex.

The Grey Knight codex has introduced bonuses based on the form of close combat weapon being used. +1 to invulnerable saves from swords, +2 initiative from polearms. I'm against this change, particularly gaining a whole 2 points of initiative from a polearm, but pandora's box is already open. Will this go away? Will it only apply to Grey Knights? Will these bonuses start to apply across all forces? I've not specifically included these changes here, but I have kept in mind that they could apply.

Anyway... onwards.

Wraith constructs
Wraith units are immune to the effect of grenades used by enemy models; do not apply their effects. This means that assault grenades to not negate the effect of the wraith unit being in cover, all attacks are retained despite the use of defensive grenades, and so on. For the sake of simplicity this benefit is conferred on warlocks leading a unit of wraithguard, and any ICs that join a wraithguard squad.

Note 1:  I'm considering that wraith units should get the 'War Construct' rule that the FW tomb spider has where sniper and poisoned weapons require a 6 to wound a model with the rule, and that War Constructs get the grenade immunity rule given above. This ideally would be a new USR that some units, e.g. Terminators, also get.

Close Combat Wraithguard 'Wraithwardens'
Any unit of Wraithguard may swap their wraithcannon for an Aether Spear. An Aether Spear is a close combat weapon that always wounds on a 2+ and ignores armour saves. On a to-wound roll of a 6 the Aether Spear inflicts instant death. Against vehicles an Aether Spear always inflicts a glancing hit on a 3-4, and a penetrating hit on a 5-6.

Same points as regular Wraithguard.

Notes: This is a very tough close combat unit that has a powerful bite. The Aether Spear is a wraithcannon in the form of a close combat weapon, and has the same killing potential per attack. Pros: Can hurt anything in close combat. Difficult to kill in close combat apart from with powerfists and by MCs/Dreadnoughts, but the Wardens are very effective against small units and single models. Can be WS5 and I5 with Enhance. Cons: Expensive. Slow; no fleet or available assault transports. Transported units are small. Low number of attacks (2 on the charge), so can get bogged down by large and cheap units. No ranged weapons.

Having a wraithguard variant might increase the chance of getting a plastic kit; if more than one unit type can be built with the same kit then they would potentially sell more.

Farseers

Intent: To improve the Farseer's psychic performance a little, whilst maintaining an eldar feel.

All Farseer psychic powers have an active mode and a passive mode. Their active mode works as per the current rules. The passive mode is an always on psychic effect which does not require a psychic test, so works in the same way as Warlock powers.

Passive modes

Guide - the Farseer can reroll shooting attacks.

Fortune - the Farseer can reroll all saves.

Doom - the Farseer can reroll all to-wound rolls

Eldritch Storm - all enemy deepstrikes that land within 12" of the Farseer result in an automatic roll on the deepstrike mishap table (e.g. like warp quake)

Eldritch Storm Active Mode addition: The player may opt to make a template attack instead. This attack uses the same profile and effects.

Mind War - When an enemy psyker uses a psychic power within 12" of the Farseer, both players roll 1D6 and add the leadership of their respective models. If the Farseer scores higher, then the psychic power is nullified. Additionally, all knowledge about the psychic ability is lost, the model (or unit) may no longer use that psychic power for the rest of the game. Potential Alternative - counts as having psykout grenades.

Mind War - The farseer counts as having psychotroke grenades.

Strands of Fate: Once per player turn, while the Farseer is alive the owning player may elect to add or subtract 1 to a single dice roll after it has been made.

Notes: The passive modes for the Farseer are supposed to represent relatively minor/local/self-focussed psychic abilities. The Strands of Fate seems like an ability that is in keeping with the flavour of Eldar Farseers and is partly inspired from reading Path of the Seer. But applying this ability along with the passive modes given above to a model kept at the same, or roughly the same, points cost is probably too much.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2012, 06:24:41 AM by Splog »

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
Re: Eldar codex revamp (mk 367)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 02:44:21 AM »
Additionally, all knowledge about the psychic ability is lost, the model (or unit) may no longer use that psychic power for the rest of the game.
Don't you think that's a bit tight??

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 04:31:42 PM »
Mind War - When an enemy psyker uses a psychic power within 12" of the Farseer, both players roll 1D6 and add the leadership of their respective models. If the Farseer scores higher, then the psychic power is nullified. Additionally, all knowledge about the psychic ability is lost, the model (or unit) may no longer use that psychic power for the rest of the game.

So despite the fact Eldar have the best anti-psychic ability in the whole of 40K you want it to be even better?

I'm not convinced that these rules are fair and balanced additions to gameplay.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Splog

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 05:37:39 PM »
So despite the fact Eldar have the best anti-psychic ability in the whole of 40K you want it to be even better?

I'm not convinced that these rules are fair and balanced additions to gameplay.

You don't think any of them are fair, or just the Mind War suggestion? Or all of the psychic power suggestions in general?

I'll have a think. I like the idea, so perhaps it could be salvaged by reducing the chance of it being successful and/or reducing the bubble of effect. Or see if I can come up with something completely different (passive mode: equivalent to psykout grenades?). Mind War seems to be generally one of the less taken powers, it could definitely do with some form of sprucing up.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 05:51:30 PM by Splog »

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 05:46:26 PM »
I like your ideas for the Aether Spears! I would like to try them, i think they could be really a nice addition to the whole wraith thing, especially in mixed squads. The ideas for negating grenades is nice thought as well. Damn those GK 'nades!  ;)
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Splog

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 02:24:23 PM »
Jumping around a bit here...

Aspect Warriors

Intent: To make all Aspect squads a viable and competitive choice. To make Exarch's more unique in terms of their equipment (avoiding the commonish-item-upgrade like a bog standard power sword), and to remove squad-effecting powers from Exarchs. In this revamp Exarch powers relate only to the Exarch. This has meant that some Exarch powers, particularly for the Striking Scorpions, have been transferred to being a squad level ability. Exarch powers are based on the accumulated skill of the Exarch (also reflected in the stat line), and psychic manifestations of their soul pool aspected to their role in relation to Khaine. Ideally this will also mean that Exarch powers and the Avatar are tied together, which hopefully I can orchestrate when I tackle the Avatar. Exarch ability changes will also have a knock on effect on their respective Phoenix Lords.

I have also aimed to create a more Craftworld Eldar / Eldar orientated armoury, which means dropping or modifying some 'pan-species' weapons.

Aspect Warriors
All Aspect Warriors have the Acute Senses USR.

Exarch's may select up to two Exarch powers.

The abilities mentioned for each Aspect entry (e.g. tank hunters for Fire Dragons) are included in the price.

Fire Dragons

18 points each
3+ Armour Save
Tank Hunters USR

Fusion Guns are replaced with the Dark Eldar Heat Lance.
Melta bombs are replaced with haywire grenades.

Exarch

(points for options undecided)

Weapon Options

Fire Pike (Str 8 Heat Lance)

Twin Inferno Pistols - The Exarch is an adept with dual wielding inferno pistols. The Exarch counts as being equipped with an Assault 2 Inferno Pistol, and as being equipped with two close combat weapons.

Flame Staff - Can be fired as a heat lance or as a heavy flamer.

Dragon Armature - the Exarch is enshrined into an armature of spines and flame projection units. The Exarch gains a 2+ armour save. Additionally the Exarch and counts as being equipped with a flamer, and with a power weapon that gives +1 S and a bonus D6 for armour penetration. Being revised

Exarch Powers

Feel No Pain - the Exarch is hardened to physical injury to an exceptional level and has the Feel No Pain USR.

Fire Proof - the Exarch's armour smoulders and is wreathed in a sullen glow, a manifestation of the fires of Khaine. The Exarch is immune to weapons with the flame, melta, and plasma weapons.

Annihilate - the strength of all of the Exarch's shooting attacks are doubled (maximum S10) count as S10 for the purposes of Instant Death.

Notes: The change of weaponry is to make the unit more Eldary. Using the heat lance provides a ready made and appropriate weapon, and demonstrates some of the shared technology and heritage with the DE. Against vehicles the Heat Lance is a step back, but not a large one. A squad of fire dragons should still be extremely threatening to any vehicle. Also the heat lance removes the ability to ID T4 targets, but does extend the range of Fire Dragons by 50% which is handy and expands their utility. Tank Hunters might be a bit much as a standard option, so I'm not 100% on it. Annihilate alleviates the loss of ID against T4, but might be a bit much when coupled with the possibility of the Exarch using a Flamer. The other Exarch powers echo Feugan and the Avatar.

Striking Scorpions

18 points.
Gain: Move through cover, and Infiltrate

Exarch

Same weapon options.

Warrior Powers

Scorpions Sting - the Exarch's attacks in close combat gain +1 S. This bonus is applied after all over bonuses (e.g. after the Scorpions Claw / Biting Blade).

Onslaught - for every to-wound roll of a 6 the Exarch generates a bonus attack.

The Clattering Rush - the Exarch has brutal assault (+2 A on the charge).

Howling Banshees

18 points
Gain: War Shout, and Shrieking Assault (needs a better name)

Shrieking Assault - Howling Banshees may assault from a transport as though it were an assault vehicle

Exarch

Weapon options remain the same.

Warrior Powers:

Dodge - the Exarch has a 4+ invulnerable save in close combat

Darting Strike Acrobatic - after pile-in moves are made the Exarch may be moved to any place in the combat where there is room to place the model (the Exarch must be in base to base contact with another model involved in the combat).

Finesse Strike - in close combat the invulnerable saving throws of the enemy are reduced by 1 for wounds caused by the Exarch.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2012, 06:30:53 AM by Splog »

Offline Natinator

• Eldrad - my hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 09:09:10 AM »
Im going to mainly look at the Aspect Warriors here.

I don't agree with all the changes to powers, but its up to you. Acrobatic is good as it already is, I certainly enjoy using it, so Im not sure about that change definitely. 18pts for the aspects... unless they get the aspect powers for free with that, its a bit too expensive.

Exarchs - seem cool, I like the ideas, but would cost a hell of alot. And since we don't have a way of regrouping like the Marines with their "they shall know no fear" rule, it is quite easy to lose them IMHO, since they are LD9. Maybe make Exarchs LD10?
Who is EPIC? Eldrad, that's who!

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 09:31:50 AM »
I'm going to pick appart the Fire Dragons specificly...

Heat Lances? Really? As it is, the Dragons consistantly kill every tank, dreadnaught or MC they turn their attention to. What could possibly be the arguement of giving them even heavier firepower? Especially since the weapon in question isn't in my oppinion, better than a Fusion Gun. Sure, longer range, whoop-de-do. I'll take S8 over an extra 6" range anyday.

The new Exarch Wargear does two things. One, the Armature, seems like its only there to make the Exarch into a Phoenix Lord. 2+ save, +1S PW, and the Flamer all in one package just glows special character...

Second, the pistols offer, IMO, a sub-par alternative to the Dragons Breath Flamer, while at the same time encouraging the Dragons to be in CC, which i don't think is appropriate for them at all. Most people around here dissagree with me, but i firmly beleive that if your Dragons have gotten into CC with anything other than a tank, something has gone seriously wrong.

The powers... Again, this all just seems like an attempt to create a Phoenix Lord. FNP is over the top, we've tried it in the Redux. Annihilate, since it only applies to Instant Death, does nothing against the Dragons chosen target (Tanks and armoured vehicles) and Fire Proof is even better than what the Avatar has.

I like the idea of having 3 powers and only being able to take 2, but these powers are, IMO way too powerful for a squad-upgrade type character. Generally i think the design behind Exarch powers should be 2 powers that benefit the Exarch, and a power that benefits the squad. That way you can build a hard mini-character, or a supporting squad leader out of your Exarch.

Anyway, only other thing is Shrieking Assault... Lots of people want this. Personally, i have never had a problem with the current transport rules. We really don't need assaulting from vehicles, least of all from the Girls. They do their job admirably as it is.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Splog

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 04:15:59 PM »
I don't agree with all the changes to powers, but its up to you. Acrobatic is good as it already is, I certainly enjoy using it, so Im not sure about that change definitely. 18pts for the aspects... unless they get the aspect powers for free with that, its a bit too expensive.

Yes, the 'Aspect Powers' are supposed to be squad level abilities that come built in to the price.

Acrobatic - Currently counts as counter attack. As an Exarch power (according to the scheme I'm using) it would only effect the Exarch, not the squad. Under that constraint are you in favour of keeping it as it is, changing it, or adding/substituting it as a squad ability (or some other option)? I like counter attack, but War Shout and Shrieking Assault fit better with what I see as the Howling Banshee's role as a shock assault troops, emphasising the attack rather than the defence. Though arguably counter assault is quite attacky as the name implies.

Exarchs - seem cool, I like the ideas, but would cost a hell of alot. And since we don't have a way of regrouping like the Marines with their "they shall know no fear" rule, it is quite easy to lose them IMHO, since they are LD9. Maybe make Exarchs LD10?

LD9 is pretty high already, but I'm open to persuasion!

Quote from: Lachdonin
Heat Lances? Really? As it is, the Dragons consistantly kill every tank, dreadnaught or MC they turn their attention to. What could possibly be the arguement of giving them even heavier firepower? Especially since the weapon in question isn't in my oppinion, better than a Fusion Gun. Sure, longer range, whoop-de-do. I'll take S8 over an extra 6" range anyday.

Not quite sure what you mean here; you say the Heat Lance gives them heavier firepower but the Fusion Gun is better?

My reasons for the change: 1) More Eldary armoury, moving away sharing weapons with other races, 2) The increased range makes them less of a suicide unit, and better able to engage without being dropped off by a tank

Reasons against: 1) Less potent against vehicles and high toughness targets, but I think they're still good enough to get the job done in most cases, 2) Lose ID against T4.

I'm not trying to make everything in the Codex better, rather trying to make everything competitive and worthwhile.

The new Exarch Wargear does two things. One, the Armature, seems like its only there to make the Exarch into a Phoenix Lord. 2+ save, +1S PW, and the Flamer all in one package just glows special character...

Good points. A 2+ save and Feel No Pain on a squad leader is a bit over the top as well. I do like the idea/imagery of it though, so back to the drawing board to come up with something better.

Second, the pistols offer, IMO, a sub-par alternative to the Dragons Breath Flamer, while at the same time encouraging the Dragons to be in CC, which i don't think is appropriate for them at all. Most people around here dissagree with me, but i firmly beleive that if your Dragons have gotten into CC with anything other than a tank, something has gone seriously wrong.

Ah, but a gunslinger Fire Dragon Exarch... just imagine the artwork :-)

To me the Dragons Breath Flamer has to go, or needs to be radically changed. One of the constraints / design principles I'm working to here is that Exarch special equipment are ancient and exotic artefacts. A pretty Heavy Flamer feels a bit too Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS). I also object to the flamer weapon, because it does not at all seem in keeping with the Fire Dragon's role. Yes, I'm aware of the contradiction there with the proposed Armature, but that was in the "too cool to care" category. Now, it is no longer on the table.

I agree re FDs and Close Combat. The Burning Fist exarch power always seemed out of place. Having the Inferno Pistols provides S8 attacks for extra penetration up close / the ability to ID T4 targets. I'm not sure they would encourage people to get the unit into CC.

The powers... Again, this all just seems like an attempt to create a Phoenix Lord. FNP is over the top, we've tried it in the Redux. Annihilate, since it only applies to Instant Death, does nothing against the Dragons chosen target (Tanks and armoured vehicles) and Fire Proof is even better than what the Avatar has.

Redux - heard it mentioned, never seen it. Can you provide a link please?

FNP - I'm not sure why having FNP is over the top, particularly on a T3 squad sergeant, in an army that the only other way it can get FNP is on a special character. Inspiration comes from Fuegan; here Exarchs can pick up to two powers for their Aspect, and Phoenix Lords get all 3.

Fire Proof - this is intended to match what the Avatar has. So in the Splogdex the Avatar is also immune to Plasma. If that doesn't make the cut, then however the ability turns out it'll be shared by the Avatar and FD Exarch.

Annihilate - Good point well made, though earlier you mentioned MCs as a target for FDs so this would benefit against T5 MCs. Anyway, that quibble aside I think you have swayed me. Do you have any suggestions as to what could replace it?

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 07:52:23 PM »
Alot of people seem to think that the Heat Lance is a 'heavier' weapon than the Fusion Gun, but i personally beleive the latter to be superior one. Sorry about that, i should have been a little more consise in the usage. That said, while the stats of a Fusion Gun and a Melta Gun may be the same, they are themselves unique weapons. Asside from Rapid Fire/Assault 2, Shuriken Catapults and Bolters are the same, should we be equiping our Guardians with something different too?

As for the Pistols... The flamer is actualy kind of characterful, being Dragons and all. The CC point regarding the pistols was having them count as an aditional Close Combat Weapon. Combined with a power like Anihilate, that really boosts the effecivness of the unit in combat.

For Fire Proof, i'd make it more of a toned down version of what the Avatar gets, since he is a living, walking inferno and all. Maybe just immune to flame weapons.

As for replacing Annihilate... If you keep Fire Proof, thats one power that supports the Exarch. If you put Crackshot back in to replace Feel No Pain, then you have 2 powers supporting the Exarch. Which means, if you go by the basis i said earlier, the third power should somehow benefit the squad.

Since you already gave them Tank Hunters as standard (Something i actually agree with. I think each Aspect Warrior squad diserves a special rule which fits into their role) maybe something that protects them from the contents of a freshly distroyed tank? No clue what to call it, but what about a power that allows the Dragons to take a leadership check if they destroy a vehicle. If they pass, they emediately fall back as per normal, but regroup at the beginning of the next Eldar turn. This gets them out of easy assault range of anyone who happens to be lurking in a freshly scrapped transport.

As for the Redux, once you have 100 posts you can access the Projects board. We've been working on a redux of the Eldar codex for about 3 years now, and have learned alot along the way about what goes into designing a Codex, and how playtesting affects things. I must say, from my own experiences, i will not be so quick to make a blanket "This wasn't playtested" comment about a new Codex again... Its hard frigging work.

Offline Splog

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 05:03:52 AM »
Alot of people seem to think that the Heat Lance is a 'heavier' weapon than the Fusion Gun, but i personally beleive the latter to be superior one. Sorry about that, i should have been a little more consise in the usage. That said, while the stats of a Fusion Gun and a Melta Gun may be the same, they are themselves unique weapons. Asside from Rapid Fire/Assault 2, Shuriken Catapults and Bolters are the same, should we be equiping our Guardians with something different too?

Fusion Gun / Melta Gun: A rose by any other name is still a rose.. etc.

Bolters / Shuriken Catapults: That bolters can fire at 24" is quite a large aside, but more on that later..

Since you already gave them Tank Hunters as standard (Something i actually agree with. I think each Aspect Warrior squad diserves a special rule which fits into their role) maybe something that protects them from the contents of a freshly distroyed tank? No clue what to call it, but what about a power that allows the Dragons to take a leadership check if they destroy a vehicle. If they pass, they emediately fall back as per normal, but regroup at the beginning of the next Eldar turn. This gets them out of easy assault range of anyone who happens to be lurking in a freshly scrapped transport.

An interesting idea. I was thinking of something along similar lines to make Fire Dragons more resistant to exploding vehicles (with vehicles they caused to explode in mind). Though in this case giving them a 3+ save alleviates that somewhat.

As for the Redux, once you have 100 posts you can access the Projects board.

Interesting. I'm not going to try and churn out a bunch of posts just to hit that target though.

Thank you for your feedback. I'm going to give the Dragon Armature weapon and Annihilate power a complete rethink and replace them with something else. I'm also pondering toning down Fire Proof.

Offline Splog

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 05:32:42 AM »
Armoury Changes

WeaponRange S AP Notes
Shuriken Catapult 18"45Assault 2
Starcannon36"61Heavy 2, Ignores Cover
Eldar Missile Launcher
Haywire
48"--Roll 1d6 against targets with AV. 2-5 glancing, 6 penetrating
Plasma
48"44Heavy 1, Blast, Pinning

Shuriken Catapult - Range increased to 18". This is my proposed solution to the 'shuriken catapult problem'. This effects multiple units, and helps Guardians a fair bit. Some re-costing might be needed. By relation this diminishes the Dire Avengers a bit, but I'm proposing that their Shuriken Catapults count as twin linked. Currently 10 DAs will get 0-20 shooting hits, with an 'expected' 13 hits. With twin linked this rises to 18 expected hits.

EML - As with the Fire Dragon's weapon change this change is partly driven by trying to make Eldar ranged weaponry more unique, and not shared with other races. Frag rounds have already been replaced with Plasma as the Eldar equivalent. This change replaced Krak rounds with the Eldar equivalent tank-busting grenade - Haywire. This makes the EML good at suppressing vehicles, and a good choice to suppress AV14. This change makes it better against heavy vehicles. Worse against light vehicles. And of course worse against heavy infantry and MCs. Not sure as to points cost, some play testing needed.

Starcannon - at the current points cost the Starcannon isn't used much so something needs to change. The prime alternative candidate is to make it the same as the DE disintegrator, but I'm in favour of having the set of S6 Eldar heavy weapons. So, this proposed alternative. It could also become a blast weapon. Proposed change: AP1, Ignores Cover. AP1 makes it more damaging to light/medium vehicles if it glances/penetrates. Ignoring cover improves it as an option for use against heavy infantry / MCs. This also keeps it distinct from the Imperium Plasma Cannon, whilst improving the current weapon.

Brightlance - I can't see this one changing too much, particularly with the recent(ish) release of the DE codex that retained the same stat-line for the Dark Lance. Maybe a smallish points jig.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:54:55 AM by Splog »

Offline Farceseer Syranaul

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The Redux Dentist
  • Armies: The Buanneth Fhirin
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 10:18:25 AM »
I've tested the starcannon out with just a strength 7, and find it to be an amazing weapon again.  The versatility against transports, monstrous creatures, and deathstar units makes this weapon golden again.  I never thought of AP1 for it, though.

Bright lance with AP1 was considered, and tested a little, but the initial impression to some players thought it was too much.  To me that was a kneejerk reaction to fear.  So know we are testing it at the Codex stats, but at 20 points.  So far its good.  Needs more testing, but good.

That is the Eldar Missile Launcher that I came up with a few years ago.  I would very much like to see it in the next Codex.  It would certainly make the bright lance shine on its own once again.

Shuriken cannons with S:5  AP4 at 5 points for everything barring twin-linked mounts would help distinguish it from the scatter laser.  Currently, I am also testing it as a defensive weapon for vehicles.

Shuriken catapults are kind of tricky.  I'd prefer 18" range but and rapid fire but also counts as Relentless when fired.  Other ideas that I had are: Assault 1/Heavy 2.  Assault 1/ Sustained Fire 2.  Sustained Fire would allow them to fire as assault 2, but only if they didn't move during the movement phase.
"Simple Changes, and Small Additions"
"It is easier to add something than to remove something."

Quote from: Starrakatt, LolDeer of Doom
So, maybe I'm being dense here

Offline Splog

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 05:31:05 PM »
Changes to Codex layout and organisation

- The reference page to be on the inside back page, or better yet on the outside back cover of the codex
- No more 'see page X' for equipment rules. Have an armoury section. List all the rules so that they're in one place. And yes, duplicate the rules for the unit description pages (where applicable) so that they can be seen context as one reads through. Use some Word Processor Fu to automagically reference the same content in more than one location. No more configuration control problems for GW, no more flipping back and forth and annoyances for players.
- More background material and pretty artwork.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 06:03:30 PM »
Love the shrieking assult idea the most. I love to field my Banshees!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Splog

« Reply #15 on: April 8, 2012, 07:26:06 AM »
(Long departure, a few tweaks and updates have been made)

Aspect Warriors part 2

Note that this tries to keep harmonised point cost tiers for Aspect warriors, so they're 12/18/24/30 points.

Dire Avengers

12 points.

Under proposed armoury changes the Shuriken Catapult is now has an 18" range. The Dire Avengers enjoy a twin-linked version. This makes them better than their current baseline, but diminishes their peak performance (Guide won't work on them, and here they're losing Bladestorm).

Exarch

Same weapons.

Defend - Same as now

Battlefate (4+ invulnerable save) to align potential with the Phoenix Lord.

? Singular Purpose - In close combat the Exarch can designate a single enemy model. All of the Exarch's attacks are against this model.

Warp Spiders

24 points (undercosted?)

Aggressive Defence - A Warp Spider unit may deepstrike on the first turn.

The Warp Jump Generator allows 12" jump movement in the movement phase, and may make a 6" jump move in the assault phase as per jet packs.

Deathspinner

WeaponRange S AP Notes
Deathspinner Template6-Monofilament

Monofilament - When a unit is hit, the next time they try to move they count as being in difficult and dangerous terrain.

Note - This weapon change ties them in to the Doomweaver, and makes them more distinct role and niche (as well as reverting them somewhat back towards their original form). As a monofilament weapon it should have rending, but that seemed a bit too much in a 24 point package.

Exarch

Weapons

Spinneret Rifle - As now, plus has rending.

Dual Spinners - Count as twin linked, plus has rending.

Spider Arms? - Gains +2 A and rending (basically a powerblade swap for Harlequin's kisses)

Powers

Surprise Assault - Counts as having plasma grenades.

Skitterleap - 5++ invulnerable save in close combat

Reposition - When assaulted the Exarch counts being in cover

Swooping Hakws

24 points.

Less comfortable with the changes for these, but here's a go.... probably still way undercosted.

Intercept - Comes as standard.

Hawk Wings - Count as a jump pack infantry, may also make a 24" turbo boost move.

Grenade Pack - Same as now, plus when making a turbo boost move pick one unengaged enemy unit moved over, and for each Hawk in the unit the enemy unit suffers one S4 AP4 hit.

Weapons: Ranger Long Rifle, Shuriken Pistol, Plasma and Haywire Grenades.

Exarch

Weapons

Exarch Long Rifle - Range 48", counts as an assault weapon

Sunrifle - As now.

Grenade Pack - A 12" assault 2 EML.

Powers

Snipe - Shooting attack rolls of a 6 count as AP1. In the case of long rifles this means shooting attack rolls of 5+ count as AP1.

The Hawk Descends - When charging the Exarch's close combat attacks are at +1 S and count as power weapon attacks.

Skyleap - As now.

Shining Spears

30 points

Hit and Run - Comes as standard

Exarch

Weapons

Starlance - Same as now

Moonspear - A laser lance that does not count as a power weapon, but it it does ignore invulnerable saves and its attacks cause instance death

Insert name here - A laser lance that gives +1 A

Powers

Skilled Rider - Same as now.

Devastating Charge - if on the first round of combat the Exarch wipes out or breaks the enemy unit then the Exarch and the unit he is with may make a full 6" consolidation move. This can be used to move the unit into close combat. No additional combat is fought this round, but the unit does count as charging for the next round.

Jink - The Exarch gains a 5++ invulnerable save.

Shadow Spectres

30 points.

Considering changing their armour save to a 4+/6++ a la DE Ghostplate

Change to the Ghostlight: Counts as twinlinked.

Exarch

Weapons

Prism Blaster - As now

Haywire Launcher - As now

Prism ? - 18" S6 AP2 Blast

Powers

Spectral - Unit gains stealth

Soul Eye - The Exarch's shooting ignores cover. If he participates in the ghostlight shot then it also ignores cover.

? - The Exarch gains tank hunter. If he participates in the ghostlight shot then it gains tank hunter.

Dark Reapers

30 points

Shooting counts as being an AA mount. Ignores saves from moving fast, e.g. turbo boost saves.

Exarch

Weapons

? Launcher - An EML with the standard 2 shooting options (Plasma and Haywire) with a third option to fire as a reaper launcher.

? Launcher - A Reaper Launcher that is AP2.

Tempest Launcher -As now.

Sorry Shuriken Cannon, you were just too out of place.

Powers

Crack Shot - As now

Fast Shot - As now

Khaine's Guidance - The Exarch does not require LOS for his shooting attacks (!)
« Last Edit: April 8, 2012, 07:58:11 AM by Splog »

Offline Splog

« Reply #16 on: April 8, 2012, 07:50:30 AM »
Warlocks

A warlock unit can be taken as a retinue for a Farseer or as an Elite choice.

Warlocks drop to 24 points (matches with the 24 point tier for Aspects)

All current warlock powers are 10 points.

Controversial - considering removing the ability for warlocks to have jetbikes (except when leading a Guardian jetbike unit). I know this will upset a lot of players and armies though!

Conceal changes to: +1 to cover saves, if the unit isn't in cover then they gain a 5+ cover save.

Warseer

A warlock that has become trapped upon his path, as per Exarchs. A warlock unit may upgrade one model to be a Warseer. Warseers cannot be used as unit leaders for other squads (e.g. wraithguard and guardians)

+ 12 points, which gives +1 A, +1 LD, Rune Armour becomes 3++, and Witch weapons gain rending.

A Warseer may take one standard Warlock power, or one of the 'second tier' Warlock powers listed below. These work the same as Warlock powers in that they are always on and no psychic tests need to be taken.

Bane - Daemons and Psykers in base to base contact with the Warseer halve their WS and I (rounding up). Note that the Eldar Avatar, Warlocks, Farseers, and Shadowseers (friend or foe!) are not effected by this power.

Rush - The Warseer and his unit always count as having rolled a 6 when running, and they may ignore the effects of difficult terrain.

Veil of Tears - Same as the shadow seer. Note1: This and a fortuned jetbike unit would be too horrible. Note2: Borrowing the Harlequin power is deliberate, as a way of harmonising abilities etc (much in the same way as I want Heat Lances instead of Fusion Guns). In the 'grand plan' Shadow Seers will have a boosted stat line and come with one standard warlock power (e.g. conceal/embolden/enhance/destructor) and one of these second tier powers.

? - Enemy units within 6" of the Warseer have -1LD. They must pass a morale check to assault the Warseer / the unit the Warseer is with.

I wanted to include a 'Vaul's Unmaking' but couldn't figure out a good way to incorporate it.

Phoenix Lords note

Phoenix Lords are still a work in progress (jigging their equipment a bit), but largely they will be the as they are now, but:

- Possibly a drop to 155 points to match the Avatar and Yriel, or a minor readjustment down with the Avatar and Yreil getting a boost.
- Come with the 3 powers that their respective Exarch's get (as outlined in this thread)
- Retinue: A Phoenix Lord may be accompanied by a unit of his relevant Aspect. These do not count against the FOC minimum or maximum. The Phoenix Lord does not have to join the unit.

Hopefully Phoenix Lords will be pretty decent characters and absolute monsters at their Aspect's chosen role.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2012, 07:56:12 AM by Splog »

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 09:03:30 PM »
Ok, i expect to change this post later as a continue to work through this, but i did note something i had missed on my first pass.

Aetherlances. No. Just... just now. Waaaay too much power contained in the unit there. A CC variant of the Wraithguard should rely more on their inherent durability and above average strength and not some over the top CC weapon. Creating CC Wraithguard opens the opportunity to include something in the Eldar list which we lack, a good tar pit. The oportunity to expant the tactical opportunities of the army as a whole should be more important than an indiscriminate wrecking ball. Give CC Wraithguard an Eldar Stormshield and a +1S weapon (but not power weapon) and you have an incredably sturdy unit, which though expencive could tie up most assault units for several turns, halting the enemy advance cold.

For Farseers, they are already among the best buff machines out there, and Runes of Warding offer better protection, on average, than a Psychic Hood. What Farseers lack in terms of the current trend is variety. Some new powers, which confer some USR's (such as Acute Senses or Move Through Cover) would be nice. Or the ability to remotely activate Warlock powers on units. Casting conceal on a Banshee squad, caught in the open, could save plenty of lives.

I've already logged my complaints about Fire Dragons...

For Banshees, Finese Strike, i think, would be cleaner if it just caused a reroll rather than modifying the save. Crap like Entropic Strike is just bringing back the spreadsheets of 2nd edition...

Dire Avengers... Give them back Bladestorm, and take away Battle Fate. You can already get a similar effect with a shimmer shield, and you can jsut make said shield an additional option rather than an either/or weapon choice.

Hawks. Give the poor boys their Lasblasters. They really are a good weapon. They have double the ROF over 24" as a Lasgun, with a higher BS than your average Guardsman. No, their not going to put some serious hurt on Marines, but they can rip chunks out of Guard, Tau Orks and Tyranids. We have enough things to kill MC's, giving them Long Rifles (which would be useless to them anyway, since they don't have Relentless) isn't nessessary and cripples their capabilities against the aforementioned armies.

While i agree with the Monofiliment Mesh rule for Spiders, the Templates is too much. 10 S6 templates will absolutely ruin anything without an AV value. Unless you plan on costing them at least 50pts a pop, theres no way to ballance that.

I think some relfection time is in order from there... maybe i'll come back.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »
Hey there.  You've got some really cool ideas here, and you seem to be very receptive to criticism.  That said, I really don't like most of what you've done with the Fast Attack section.

Warp Spiders:
* Template weapons as standard is something people try out when suggesting warp spider changes pretty frequently.  Often this is a call back to when their weapons were template weapons. That said, I personally find this method very cumbersome, annoying, and frankly unkind to your opponent.  Do you really want to take the time to figure out how many models are being hit by 10 different flamers, all while your opponent is waiting for you to figure out just how many S6 wounds he's about to take?
* I don't really care for the WJG changes. This is more reliable.  Reliable is nice but sort of contradictory to their fluff about being a very risky aspect due to the possibility of being lost to the warp. It also takes a little of the fun of randomness out of it and diminishes the total range they can potentially travel with their assault jump.
* I don't care for spider arms not because they don't fit the weaponry theme but because the (rather cool-looking) power blades on the arms of the warp spiders model look like they should be... well... power weapon blades. Not something monofilament based.  That said, a harlie kiss rending cc weapon option would be pretty cool.
* You've taken away their ability to get out of cc if I'm not mistaken.  I'd much rather have Withdraw than Reposition.

Swooping Hawks:
Lots of interesting ideas here that were discussed but mostly turned down for the redux.  My only real complaint about these guys is that you gave them a heavy weapon.  So now the super quick fast attack choice can maybe potentially possibly hurt light transports and deal with MCs (not something I usually consider a primary target for them), but they can't really deal with swarms (something I consider a primary target for them) or shoot in the same turn they move (which I consider to be their primary asset.) Lasblasters aren't very impressive, but I simply don't see sniper rifles working well with these guys.

Hmm. Alright, those were my only real complaints about the Fast Attack section.  I really like what you did with the Shining Spears, by the way.  I will, before I end this post, add that I don't like your EML, however.  I love haywire effects; I really do.  That said, your EML takes away my go-to anti-vehicle weapon's ability to actually hurt vehicles and turns it into yet another anti-infantry weapon with some chance to also annoy vehicles.  Personally, I'd rather replace the anti-infantry profile with the haywire profile so that it can either deal real damage to light vehicles or reliably annoy land raiders and such.  Granted, this does make it shine even less next to the bright lance, but I'm sort of biased against the bright lance due to its cost at the moment. 

Overall, there are lots of cool ideas here.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 09:41:48 AM »
You do have some good ideas and I see that you're harking back to the glory days of 2nd ed with a couple of your choices.

I like that you're to the warp spiders for a boon but as has been noted there were obvious reasons this version of the unit didn't work and was therefore scrapped. Have you considered possibly a return to the WJJ rules of 3rd/4th? i.e. making them a teleport device rather than then generic jump packs we have now. Of course there's probably a reason this version didn't last long either ;)

I also like the idea of the EML firing the haywire ammunition but you have to be aareful not to step on the toes of the bright lance. remember disabling a tank stunning it is almost as effective as blowing it up. What about a version of the Dark reaper missile launcher? 36" S5 AP3 Heavy 3 but again here are we strepping on the toes of the starcannon? Although the ignores cover option on this weapon would sort that (I like this idea too)

This is an interesting approach as to how the list could be developed but like the other guys are hinting at it needs refinement, play testing and balancing.

Keep up the good work!

Arq.