News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rogue Trader-esque Warbands and Character Conversions, and anything else I fancy  (Read 48616 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Absolutley sick.  While I love the Michael Moorcock/He-Man vibe of AoS, Honestly, I wish Age of Sigmar felt like this. More of a post-apocalyptic fantasy. Just sick modeling... everything feels so moody and ominous and the painting is seriously, seriously good. Just love this stuff to death Ynnead. Keep rocking bud you are killing it 
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

Pure magic, Ynnead!
Young bucks with antlers still growing. I like it.There is as much character in you modeling/painting as there is in your writing, mate. You are a hoot... Be well!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys! Really glad you like them :)

I'm with you on the whole AoS front Cav. While the whole He-Man/Conan stuff gives opportunity for some really out-there modelling (good for my bitsbox so I'm not complaining!), it does feel like there's opportunity to do something novel with a fantasy setting.

Thinking about it, you could do some really interesting stuff with the idea of a sort of shattered realm type thing. The gods of the Old world had a plan to send mortals through to create a new world when Chaos ripped this one to pieces. A plan which failed. So you've got regular mortals like Sigmar who suddenly found themselves ascended to godhood tasked with creating a new world with zero experience or guidance.

You should end up with a sort of broken world, all frayed and torn at the edges, and bits and pieces intermittently not working right. The sort of place you can take the wrong fork in a deep-forest path and walk out a decade later, or a hundred miles away. A place where half-formed and ill-conceived monsters flit into existence. A place where mortal man and elf and dwarf are cast adrift in scattered bands in this broken and schizophrenic realm.

There is actually a bit of a movement in the Fantasy world called 'Dark Age of Sigmar' that goes down that direction a little. Some utterly, utterly stunning stuff from there too. Check these out if you've got a moment :)

Age of Sigmar Horror - Black Sloth Hell
Slaves to Darkness - Chaos Warriors of Malal - Ex Profundis
The Eclipse - Competition Gallery - Ex Profundis
Gardens of Hecate: CXLIX. Shadespire: Steelheart's Champions

It's not just waffle from me though! Update too :)

See that one over there? That's a Bray. Close as they get to cultural leaders these days. Elders who preserve their histories, administer what passes for justice amongst their kind, and lead the bacchanal rites to appease their vengeful gods.

It's curious, really. At first I believed the herdstones to be malefic structures, with little purpose but to provide a focal point to tear the veil of the materium. However, from my time with them I believe their actual function is to bleed off power from the immaterium in manageable doses. The constant weeping of blood, the bacchanal orgies of violence, the blood-sacrifices. All serve to prevent the anger within from bubbling over.

More than most, my time among the elk-folk has given me an insight into their psyche. I believe they view themselves as exiles, cast apart from their forebears who lived side-by-side with their Gods. Forced to wander through this icy plane and scratch a meagre existence. They remember the times where their kind swept through these systems as a great conquering tide. They remember the great armies of the Emperor arrayed to stop them, the mighty Wolves of Fenris at the fore. They remember the days their Gods forsook them, and left them upon these frozen worlds. For them, their rapture has come and passed.

So there we go! That's the last of the planned Elk-Folk (although I do have a few more ideas to revisit if the bits-box contents align) :)

Hopefully the fluff snippets have given a decent insight into their history, but if not here's a little explainer. These elk-folk were a bunch of feral-worlders picked up as chaff for a Chaos Warlord's army which swept through the sector before being stopped by the Space Wolves. Their armies crushed, the PBI (Poor Bloody Infantry) were abandoned planetside and over the centuries since have carved out a society alongside the other abandoned inhabitants of this world (we'll get onto those next!).

The idea about the herdstone was a thought I had about human cultures living under the gaze of the Ruinous Powers. In order to have survived for this long, even primitive cultures that find themselves close enough to warp-rifts must have some sort of mechanism to deal with the machinations of the Gods. The herdstones are in actuality arcane monoliths designed to relieve the pressure of the warp in places where there's danger of a breach, quite literally bleeding off the power as a constant trickle of magically generated blood, augmented and maintained by bacchanal rituals and sacrifices to appease the War God.

The fact they can also be used to rip holes in the materium is just a secondary function, put to ruinous use during the times of the great warherd.
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Saim-Dann

You've done it again, Ynnead!
That read was a belta, and the models to match made for a great yarn. Keen to see what you come up with in regards to the other abandoned units. Keep'm come'n, mate... Be well!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Thanks Ynnead. Those Elk-Folk are going to give me nightmares for weeks.

Seriously, it's like you climb into my head and then build whatever you find in the darkest corners of fear that you find in there. So unsettling, such a strong theme...so wrong.

Which makes them, of course, perfect. Well done bud. Truly impressive.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha thanks guys! Really glad you like them/they'll haunt your dreams, whichever it might be ;)

I'd thought these were some of the less disturbing dudes, but looking at them again in a different light (especially the guy with the broken antlers) they'd creep me the hell out too if I saw one in a darkened alleyway :S I suppose it just goes to show just how freaky the 40k universe can be that weird faceless dudes with digitigrade bionic limbs wielding axe/cleavers the size of their own torso is one of the less blatantly obvious terrifying elements ;)

Speaking of which...

When Morkai's sons are on the prowl,
When moon is bright and wolves do howl,
Within thine walls stay safe and fast,
For teeth and tools of murder pass.

-Verse from the Edda Óvættr (An Ode to Monsters)

It seems, wherever the Vlka Fenryka tread, a trail of myths of mutant wolfmen follows them. Many fallacies and fabrications abound in populations overawed by His Holyness' mighty astartes, but this one is curious in its ubiquity. Those who are privy to current inquisitorial investigations into the thirteenth company might believe they pertain to the mutant astartes known as 'wulfen'. However, upon closer reflection it would appear there is a secondary phenomenon at play.

Common in extant myths is the infectious nature of the bite of a frekr, as they are dubbed. If this bears truth, this poses a significant risk to Imperial security. Recommend immediate travel to infected worlds for research purposes, followed by immediate reprisal against the chapter once proof is obtained.

Recovered cave-writings from exterminated populations here suggest the native freki believe they were stationed on this world for some higher purpose. A grand task bestowed upon them by their Gods. More likely is that they were dumped here on this backwater world, hidden away from prying inquisitorial eyes. No longer.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
freaky frekr's !

great job :)

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day Ynnead!
This is by far my favorite project of yours to date, mate. Did I read it right that these blokes could be remnants of the 13th? If so, bravo! If not? Bravo anyway, cause those heads are Nice and creepy. Thanks for the smile, Ynnead... Be well!!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Oh wow, I really like them. Super badarse. Bet they look host on the field too.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys! Really glad you like them :)

And yeah, these are definitely connected to the Thirteenth, although in a way that plays a little more on werewolf myths :) all shall be revealed over the next few posts hopefully! Here's the next :)

Men, elves, crows, elk. Even the ettins of the northern forests. All are fair game once the hunt has begun.

+++Archive Entry: Classified+++
+++Category: Research, Unsanctioned+++
+++Authorisation: Adept, Inquisitorial+++

Despite local folklore, preliminary tests indicate bite of wolf-mutants non-toxic. Hypothesis 2: transfer of mutant genetic material. See below data from experiments thus far with Fenrisian diaspora, control hive-world subjects and the mutant Astartes kindly provided. Results following intravenous injection of mutant Astartes blood.

Subjects 3, 7, 8, 14, 16, 24, 27, 33
Death via fever.

Subjects 1, 4, 9, 10, 11, 17, 21, 28
Death via mutation (unstable).

Subjects 6, 12, 23, 25, 29
Mutation (stable): euthanised.

Subjects 2, 5, 13, 15, 18, 19, 20, 22, 26, 30, 31, 32
Recovery: retained for further study, followed by euthanisation.

Of note: Surprised at low death and mutation rate in Fenrisian subjects. Further research required.

+++Thought for the Day: Fear the Mutant, For He is the Enemy that Lurks Within+++
+++End Entry+++

I've also been playing around with some filters. Most are junk, but the occasional one does have a very 40k feel to it. With some added scenery, this one would make for some really atmospheric scenes:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:56:09 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Saim-Dann

Aaaaaah!
Finally, have my Ynnead fix. Is that a little tin power fist I spy on one of them. Great model, fantastic photography and intriguing fluff. Well done as always, mate. Palease take models/tools/paints/laptop on holidays with you from now on... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Hey Ynnead great to have you back man. These newest models are awesome as ever. Where did you get there faces? Love the use of that Wulfen hair (if I'm correct). Also the bases are awesome. It reminds me of melting snow around a bog... great stuff as always bud. This collection is insane!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Very cool models! Is that a set of newly butchered ribs on one of the model's hips? Is he saving that for later?

Great fluff as always. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha thanks guys :) I'll be sure to try and build up a backlog before going on holiday the next time ;)

It's more of a bionic elbow than  mini-power-fist, although the idea of a lowtech scavenged power fist is an awesome one :) must give that a try sometime :)

Glad you like the Wulfen hair and the bases Cav :) snow melting in a bog is a great description :) the faces are clipped off Wood Elf dryads I've inexplicably got dozens of. They fit better than I'd thought!

That is a little tasty treat one of them is carrying around for later ;) reminds me actually, I must put a tattoo on the other one so it's clear just where those tasty treats came from...

In otyer news I'd like to post an update, but I've been fighting with the camera on my new phone for a couple of days now and just haven't been able to get it to work consistently. Stock camera app on the Z5 is garbage for close-up and you can't choose whether to shoot in macro or not (and the macro focal depth is teeny-tiny so you can't get even one dude all in rough focus). One other camera app works ok close up but will only focus on the centre of the screen rather than where you select. Another I've just tried will let you choose where to focus, but the auto-exposure setting is schizophrenic. Gah. I'd rather be spending my time painting and modelling and writing than faffing about with camera setups!

Still, managed to get one good shot out of the two days. Good enough for a teaser at least ;)

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day, Ynnead!
you are such a tease. Just enough to show your usual talent, but not enough to really see your creativity. Nice looking pieces from what your willing to show, mate... Be well!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Awesome stuff Ynnead :) Good lord how I'd wish to get a whole book written in the style of your narrative texts. Or three books )) It just feels so head'n'shoulders above the mediocre stuff of most modern fantasy or sci-fi. Of course, the models help to bring it to life too - so stark and almost palpably believable. Thumbs up ;)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Welcome back my creepy little friend.

Amazing work as always Ynnead, those guys fit perfectly into the Pantheon of the Strange that you're creating. Top stuff!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha thanks guys :) good to be back. Hopefully back with a vengeance as we've had buckets of snow here in UK and my office's heating's died so lots of working from home with painting breaks ;)

Once I've built up enough of a catalogue and finally bought myself a decent camera and lighting setup I do want to make a sort of 'Codex: Utgard', which is a place in norse mythology roughly translating to 'Outyards'. Sort of a catalogue of all the various people left in the wake of the Space Wolves :)

Speaking of which ;)

+++Access Personal Log: Adept XIV+++
+++Vox Entry+++
+++M41.976.127+++

Bitten again by a subject during euthanisation. Must ensure greater caution going forwards.

+++End Entry+++

+++Vox Entry+++
+++M41.976.131+++

New development. Despite no visible symptoms some recovered subjects are carriers. Extreme stress provoked by attempted euthanisation results in delayed onset of mutation. Prolonged close quarters struggle before subject was overcome. Lab will require significant decontamination before research can recommence.

+++End Entry+++

+++Vox Entry+++
+++M41.976.137+++

Two subjects breached containment. Appear to have freed others. Antipyretics must be impairing my judgement. Currently barricaded in laboratory pending escape. Likely outcome is abandonment of facility. Client will be most displeased.

+++End Entry+++

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day, Ynnead!
The client may be displeased, however, your fellow forumites aren't. A unique read, mate. I like it. And the fact there's a Doggy scent to the fluff... Niiiiice!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
A number of phones have dual camera setups now, I thought this would be a gimic but it actually does a good job with depth, if you get a chance have a play with the oppo R11.