News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My Blood Angels list 1500pts  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
My Blood Angels list 1500pts
« on: March 25, 2015, 02:13:22 PM »
So, this is the list I'll be playing on Saturday in any case. I've only played a few games of 7th edition blood angels

Codex: Blood Angels Roster

Captain (185 pts)
Storm Shield; Relic Blade; Artificer Armour; The Veritas Vitae, Melta Bombs; Jump Pack.

Chaplain (115 pts)
w/powerfist

Furioso Dreadnought (185 pts)
Blood Talons, magna grapple
Drop pod w/deathwind launcher   

Death Company Squad (239 pts)
x8 death company, jump packs, x1 powerfist,x1 thunderhammer

Scout Squad (60 pts)
x5 scouts, x5 sniper rifles

Tactical Squad (250 pts)
 x10, meltagun, plasmacannon
Razorback with lascannon and twin-linked plasmagun

Assault Squad (225 pts)
x10, x2 hand flamers, vetsgt with powerfist
Rhino

Heavy Support: Land Raider Redeemer (240 pts)

The assault squad and Chaplin will ride in the land raider, while the tactical squad can combat squad so the plasmacannon shoots out of the rhino.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: My Blood Angels list 1500pts
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 05:07:51 PM »
How attached are you to the idea of a CAD? If you find you'd rather spend your points on non-troops, you could take a Flesh Tearer's Strike Force detachment. Use Cassor the Damned as your Troop choice [5 point tax on the DC Dread you have] and then drop your Troop choices, to free up more points for fun stuff.

For about 30-something more points, you could trade your captain for Dante, and he's pretty impressive in the beat-stick category.

That would free up a slot to take a Sanguinary Priest, and they're pretty handy. If you drop the Troop choices, you'll have plenty of points for that.

Something to keep in mind, is that you appear to be taking the Rhino as a dedicated transport. Doing so would prevent the Plasma Cannon from starting inside the Rhino, if you wanted to. You could take the Rhino as a FA choice, instead, which as a non-dedicated transport would let the PC start inside.

If you drop the troops, you'd be well on your way to having points to buy a Sanguinary Guard squad, with that S Priest I'd mentioned. :)

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 05:26:51 PM »
Changed I would make:
Take a Baal Strike Force instead of a CAD so you get the initiative boost.

Either get a plasma gun in the tactical squad or a a multimelta. I think tactical squads work better with one goal in mind. If you plan to just combat squad them that's fine though I would give a combi weapon to the sergeant.

I would change the assault squad to flamers instead of hand flamers. The extra strength will do more than the extra attack.

I'm not sure what your chaplin is doing. He needs a jump pack to go with the death company. A level 2 librarian with a jump pack is about the same price.

The captain has a relic blade when I love Valours edge. Less strength but the AP to cut through terminators. It is also a few points less.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »
Changed I would make:
Take a Baal Strike Force instead of a CAD so you get the initiative boost.

Either get a plasma gun in the tactical squad or a a multimelta. I think tactical squads work better with one goal in mind. If you plan to just combat squad them that's fine though I would give a combi weapon to the sergeant.

I would change the assault squad to flamers instead of hand flamers. The extra strength will do more than the extra attack.

I'm not sure what your chaplin is doing. He needs a jump pack to go with the death company. A level 2 librarian with a jump pack is about the same price.

The captain has a relic blade when I love Valours edge. Less strength but the AP to cut through terminators. It is also a few points less.

I've thought about using the Baal strike force, but I do enjoy the benefits of Objective secured and that has been an important factor in games I've played. But, The initiative boost is nice too to get some more swings in. I'll have to try using both and see which is more useful (my list easily fits into either detachment)

I don't really have the points to switch to a plasmagun, or to take a combi-weapon, but those are good ideas. I'll need to see if I can switch one of those changes in.

I like the extra attack from the hand flamers and only blood angels get them, so that's kind of neat. The squad will be getting really only one shot off with the flamers before charging, so I think the persistent bonus attacks has more merit in that regard.

How attached are you to the idea of a CAD? If you find you'd rather spend your points on non-troops, you could take a Flesh Tearer's Strike Force detachment. Use Cassor the Damned as your Troop choice [5 point tax on the DC Dread you have] and then drop your Troop choices, to free up more points for fun stuff.

For about 30-something more points, you could trade your captain for Dante, and he's pretty impressive in the beat-stick category.

That would free up a slot to take a Sanguinary Priest, and they're pretty handy. If you drop the Troop choices, you'll have plenty of points for that.

Something to keep in mind, is that you appear to be taking the Rhino as a dedicated transport. Doing so would prevent the Plasma Cannon from starting inside the Rhino, if you wanted to. You could take the Rhino as a FA choice, instead, which as a non-dedicated transport would let the PC start inside.

If you drop the troops, you'd be well on your way to having points to buy a Sanguinary Guard squad, with

The Chaplin goes with the Assault squad in the land raider. He gives them zealot and a second powerfist.

My main concern is fight monstrous creatures and things with high toughness, like Spawn and the ilk. I have two powerfists in the death company already, I like the idea of having a S6/7 weapon beating down tougher foes which the valours edge will have trouble wounding. I also don't think I'm allowed two relics on one character and I'd much rather take a second warlord trait then an AP2 sword.

that S Priest I'd mentioned. :)

I don't see the benefit to the flesh tearers detachment, as I'd much rather have objective secured then getting rage once and a while.

A troops dread sounds fun to me. I don't know where his rules are though.

The reason the assault squad is taking the Rhino, is because I need to take a rhino or drop pod for them for free to fit them into the land raider.

I also have used Sanguinary guard every once and a while, but they never really do a whole lot for me. They just end up being shot dead, or killed by something at higher initiative (like a hive tyrant, or chaos lords). They are still really expensive too.

A priest would be nice. I'll need to consider some things and see what changes I can make.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 01:28:54 PM »
For myself, the benefit of a Flesh Tearer force is that I don't need to spend points on "Troops". The command benefit is marginal, but the altered FOC is fantastic. Cassor's rules are in the Shied of Baal: Deathstorm campaign book. The one that comes in the box set.

Avast, matey. I'm shuure yee can finds eet. If yee fallows the map to the "X". Ahem... that said, if you take what you have and add 5 points, that's what you get, without access to dedicated transports.

I've had solid results from the SG, but I face Knights pretty regularly now. Having a save against rapid-fire Battle Cannons is nice. Adding a Priest is solid, for the WS benefit as well as FNP. You can keep the SP cheap, at 76 points with JP and Bolt Pistol. He doesn't need CC upgrades, hypothetically, since the SG can smash face. That can be a good call if you're facing a lot of challenges. The SG have no characters, so denying a challenge with a BP / CCW Priest keeps him alive, while still allowing all his benefits. :)

I hadn't thought about the free Rhino exchange. Instead of an Assault Squad, could you take more Death Company without JP instead? A million attacks on the charge leverages greater use from the Chappy. You'd have a smaller squad, of course, but if you switch to a Flesh Tearers detachment you could free up some points from your troops...

I really don't like our Troop options in this codex. Hypothetically, since we're geared towards CC, anything that would contest / deny our objectives should be chopped up / pounded to death by our assault units, so you should have less use for ObSec. Such is my experience, anyhow.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:29:58 PM by Spectral Arbor »

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 03:06:41 PM »
I understand the desire to take less troops, but I don't mind tactical squads. My worry with taking the Flesh Teasers, or even the Baal strike force is that I cannot re-roll warlord traits rolled on the rulebook tables, only the flesh tearers or blood angels codex's respectfully. Both the flesh tearer and blood angels warlord traits, are either terrible or meh.

This can be huge when I have the Veritas Vitae and can get two separate re-rollable rolls on the awesome strategic table (or one on strategic and one on any other-like command).

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:07:47 PM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 11:22:51 AM »
So let us assume that a CAD is non negotiable because we want objective secured then the only issues I really see are the Captain and the razorback.  The razorback looks like an easy first blood kill point and the captain seems like a lot of wasted points. 

Have you thought about Taking Astorath and a Chaplain?  You can keep the powerfist and the Veritas Vitae and Astorath will make the death company a lot more effective than a captain, you'll save some points, and keep your extra warlord trait.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 10:24:29 PM »
Well, I had a game against Neurons. I changed the list a bit. Instead of the Land Raider, I used a storm raven and the tactical squad Sargent had a combi-plasma.

I was against the neurons, and he had the decurian so all his dudes had 4+ reanimation protocols, which was super annoying ha ha.

The deathwind launcher drop pod was the MVP, it killed a bunch of immortals and a lynch guard during the game. The storm raven was also great, killing a ghost arc and night scythe in two turns.

My main issue was a unit of six wraiths charged my Death Company and I couldn't kill any of them, as he had a formation which gave them a reanimation protocol too. He was also on fire with his saves. It was not until the Chaplin and assault squad charged in, that I was able to kill some.

I ended up getting completely wiped out and loosing 5 maelstrom points to 11

The Rhino for the assault squad was good in reserves, as I tanked shocked him off an objective taking a point away from him. The Tactical squad and scouts also did well for me. The scouts would have done better, but his Tomb Blades had ignores cover on their shots.

I'm thinking of the following for my next list.

Baal Strike Force

Mephiston

Tactical Squad
meltagun, heavy flamer,vet sgt with power weapon.
x10 marines
Drop pod with deathwind launcher

Scouts
x5, x5 sniper rifles, cameo cloaks.

Assault Squad
x10
x2 hand flamers
Vet sgt with powerfist
Rhino (as I removed the jump packs)

Death Company
x8, jump packs, x1 powerfist, x1 thunder hammer

Furious dread w/blood talons and magna grapple

Storm Raven
Twin-linked lascannon
Twin-linked multi-melts

Dante (warlord)

Plan is mephiston and assault squad and dread rides in storm raven, while Dante joins the Death Company. Rhino goes in reserves and maybe tries tank shocking stuff, or going for objectives. S10 on mephiston and biomancy would have been really nice to have, and hit and run would have been nice too. I also bought a bunch of 32mm bases, so I am re-basing everything but the scouts onto larger bases, which looks really nice.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria