News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Drop spore Devil-Gants  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
Drop spore Devil-Gants
« on: August 18, 2013, 10:20:03 PM »
Let me know if I am wasting my time assembling 20 Devil-gants to drop in a non-existent balled up brown paper bag to represent a spore.  (Enter my continuing rant/rage about GW still not producing a spore model!)

I was basically wondering with the latest rules set shifting to shooting advantages, that if anyone is using Devil-gants more than ever now?  60 shots sounds wonderful dropped in an enemy deployment zone, I care little of IB because they will still be doing what they should, shooting!

Any thoughts?  Too expensive?

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
Re: Drop spore Devil-Gants
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »
I plan to do the same once mine are finished. And word is we'll finally get a spore model alongside a new codex in Nov.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 01:37:34 AM »
I've found it hard to justify spending that many points for Gant shooting. I've seen some people who use that combo and it doesn't seem to be worth it most of the time. Typically, IMO, Tyranids are best off when they stick together and come in as a coordinated whole. That's not to say reserve lists don't work, I'd just rather drop three Trygons in my opponents face with Hive Guard, Zoanthropes, and two troops Tervigons as backup.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 10:12:56 PM »
I plan to do the same once mine are finished. And word is we'll finally get a spore model alongside a new codex in Nov.

I haven't heard about any of that, do you have a reliable reference/link for me to catch up on?

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:53:03 PM »
I PMed you the link since I get the rumors from another forum.

Edit: back to the original question of how effective the unit would be, I did a quick mathhammer on their shooting. 20 Devilgaunts shooting an MEQ unit should inflict 5 unsaved wounds on average in a single turn.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 02:34:00 AM by Gunner_Sabot_Tank »
Vincere Vel Mori

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »
I PMed you the link since I get the rumors from another forum.

Edit: back to the original question of how effective the unit would be, I did a quick mathhammer on their shooting. 20 Devilgaunts shooting an MEQ unit should inflict 5 unsaved wounds on average in a single turn.

Yes, I have done the math as well.  Should be a good tactic to drop in on small squads such as small jump pack units that are lonely and vulnerable.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 11:41:08 PM »
For me that'll be dropping them next to my buddy's Long Fangs, but yeah. My only problem is I only have one pod, one of the CHS ones. And I don't wanna go buy any more 3rd party ones til I can see what the GW ones look like and cost that we're supposed to be getting in Nov.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Hive Fleet Bahamut

• I like to play with my food before I eat it!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 08:40:46 PM »
I have a love-hate relationship with these guys.  I've tried every combination from 10-30 walking to 10-20 in a spore and I've found that as LONG as your target priority is aggressive enough they will stay alive enough to do some damage.   In a spore dropping them close to your other units is the only sound move as doing what I see most common and "dooming it" just leaves them dead.  Mathhammer goes to hell with these guys too, that is an absurd amount of shooting that I've found never averages out.  It either wipes the squad or forces enough saves to dent even 10 man Termies.  I hate what happens the next turn after they drop in..  I really need to start dropping them in cover more..

The "glass cannon" unit of our codex I think..   It is also one of my favourite even though I don't use them every game.  I'm pretty sure also they hold the #1 spot for shot output on a single unit too.  Even Orks maxed out graze 60-66 (big shootas are 3 shots right?)  90 shots at Marines Strength will torrent almost anything.. 
Tyranid assimilation brought to you by the letters "Om nom"

« Reply #8 on: September 1, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »
I was thinking of a nice tactical set of units would include the following working together:

1 Tervigon (Troops of course)
1 Devilgants x20+
1 Venomthropes x2-3

Venoms hide behind the Tervigon to assist in difficulty of the enemy obtaining LoS to the Venomes.  The Devils advance in front of the Tervigon and she gives FNP to the Devils.  That way we have a, "glass cannon" unit as it was so put, surviving enemy fire from both a cover save and FNP!  If the Devils are in threat of being assaulted soon, have spawned Gants move ahead to receive the assault.  Either way, the Gants or Devils will receive the bonuses of T.Sacs and A. Glands.

What do you think?

Offline agonzoman00

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 06:01:23 PM »
I used it for a while and then stopped.  Its hit and miss.  Drop them on a flank supported by flying hive tyrants with OA and they work great. I have had good success recently using Hive Commander and outflanking them.  Saves you the cost of the spore.