News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: I need your opinion  (Read 1620 times)

Offline tyraniddude

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
I need your opinion
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:56:06 AM »
ok, first, this is what my list consists of so far;
Swarmlord (1 telepathy power & 3 biomancy powers)
Tyrant guard x2
Flyrant (2 Biomancy powers, TL devourors x2,old adversary, wings)
Hive guard x3
Zoanthropes x2 w/ spore (w/ warp blast and warp lance)
Warriors x3 (w/ scything talons and deathspitter)
Termagants x12
Termagants x12
Tervigon (1 biomancy power, adrenal glands, toxin sacs)
Gargoyles x15
Trygon
Biovore x2
ok, so, should I add another unit of Hive Guard and have 20pts to play with or add a Harpy with twin-linked Heavy Venom Cannon?

Offline BritishBill

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: I need your opinion
« Reply #1 on: January 2, 2013, 11:47:13 PM »
In answer to your final question, I would vote for the Hive Guards every time. I have thought about Harpies myself, but all the feedback I hear is at their lower toughness values, it is fairly easy to get them out of the sky and then they are very easy prey. I believe our Elites slot with Zoanthropes and Hive Guards is the strongest slot we have and I always fill that up first.

With respect to other parts of the army, I think the rules for Poison make it a very effective addition. You don't mention it for your Gargoyles, take it, you don't mention it for all your monstrous creatures, again I think it quickly pays for itself. Even just being able to reroll 1's to wound is a good feature, but when you are facing T5 and T6 in close combat and you get to reroll 2's and 3's as well, it is fantastic.

Hope that is helpful.

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
  • Hey Farley, call headquarters.
« Reply #2 on: January 7, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »
Personally, I find your troops section to be terribly thin.  Three warriors isn't generally quite enough to get the job done, I'd suggest about 5, and more than one brood is also a decent play.  12 termagants is a decent minimum, but 16-20 works better.  Toxic hormagants are a wonderfully effective and disposable way to tear the heart out of enemy armies which rely on certain models to get them through.  Genestealers have thier own niche, but shouldn't be discounted.

Okay, on second review, I see that you have a Tervigon in your troops section.  Always a fun bit there, so just add more termagants and an extra warrior or two and you'll be fine.
"he's either the most brilliant troll ever, or he's crazy." -Bloodhawk

Offline Rene

• Used to be Ghostwriter - back after a long break:)
  • Armies: Tyranid, Eldar, Space Marines, Necron
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 07:55:31 AM »
I'll go with more hive guards too :)
I run three of them in my 1850 pts list and they do very well. (Check out my vlog, if you want to see them in a battle report with the rest of the army 8))

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 07:18:07 AM »
I'm going to be the voice of opposition and suggest a Harpy. Hive Guard are cool and all, but as you already have 3 you could spread them out for more flexibility. As for why the Harpy? Well you've got a reasonably mobile force to play with, having the flyrant, gargoyles and a deep striking trygon helped into play by the Swarmlord. Stick the Harpy in there and you have a pretty powerful outflanking force that can do some damage while the main army moves into play.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*