News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: CheesyRobMan returns...  (Read 3007 times)

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
CheesyRobMan returns...
« on: May 12, 2013, 04:42:13 AM »
I've been away from 40K for a while, although have been painting up some of the lovely FW Heresy Marines as a 'display' project - but am starting to turn green again. Got building some Orks yesterday and it reminded me just how fun the models are to put together, let alone paint  :)   so I'm not really sure this justifies a new thread, but here are some shoota boyz and friends fresh from the spore pods:

The left-handed big shoota boy has looted his gun from a Killa Kan/Deff Dread and is hoping no one notices.

Also, since I picked up one of the old Stormboy torsos and rockets from a friend's bitz box a while ago, and since my Stormboyz didn't have a Nob to bash them over the head, I made one:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:46:56 AM by CheesyRobMan »
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: CheesyRobMan returns...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 02:50:55 PM »
Good to see you back in the saddle again. However, I do see an evil toothpick on your model. Have you considered using leftover bits of sprue? If not you can always loot a spear from somebodies fantasy bit box to use to make boss poles.

Looks like your back just in time for the summer campaign, so get em painted and get stuck in.

My two teef
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:13:07 PM »
Welcome back...  Now that you've scratched your space marine itch, you can get back to a real man's army... or real ork's army...  er...  You know what I mean! lol

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 02:10:55 AM »
Welcome back to the green side, I'll be sure to send along the fungus brew grot to give you a pint... supposing I can find him.

The left-handed big shoota boy has looted his gun from a Killa Kan/Deff Dread and is hoping no one notices.
I don't know about the no one noticing thing.  But you know Konverzions and individuality are the mainstays of Orkz, unlike those SMurfs that singlemindedly follow standardizations.

I do see an evil toothpick on your model. Have you considered using leftover bits of sprue? If not you can always loot a spear from somebodies fantasy bit box to use to make boss poles.
I don't think the toothpick is a big deal.  Even the strictest anti konversion people I've met would roll with it, especially when it gets painted.  In all that model is 95-99% GW material, and when the standard (at least local) is 70-75% and above on GW material for tabletop legality, I don't think cheesy has anything to worry about.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »
Welcome back to the green side, I'll be sure to send along the fungus brew grot to give you a pint... supposing I can find him.

I do see an evil toothpick on your model. Have you considered using leftover bits of sprue? If not you can always loot a spear from somebodies fantasy bit box to use to make boss poles.
I don't think the toothpick is a big deal.  Even the strictest anti konversion people I've met would roll with it, especially when it gets painted.  In all that model is 95-99% GW material, and when the standard (at least local) is 70-75% and above on GW material for tabletop legality, I don't think cheesy has anything to worry about.

Peace
~OD

I am not anti toothpick Per Se, just that the toothpick will have to have super glue to hold onto plastic rather than plastic cement that bonds almost permanently. Super glue has a tendency to fail just when it is important that it stays in place (like during a tourney, or at a golden demon contest). Conversely, using a toothpick to make a turret movable or to have an interchangeable/removable part it works just as well as a piece of heavy gauge wire (cut from a paperclip).

If a WHFB spear shaft was used, then you could use plastic cement that would keep it there for eternity, or until you drop it from a very short height onto a soft surface. (You can usually drop them from the table top to a hard floor with no damage, but drop it from your chair onto your living room carpet and things break).

I guess I wasn't clear enough on my last post to suggesting the hardiness of construction, which was where I was going with that comment. Sorry, didn't want to get you worried that you had committed an error of some sort. But, (there is always a "but") I find that toothpicks fail in modeling far more frequently than I roll 1's to wound with my PKs.   That is why I have gone more towards heavy gauge wire and JB Weld rather than toothpicks and super glue.

Just my two teef.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 02:16:48 PM »
I understand the hardiness and may have said something similar on a different mini, but it would appear that the bit in question is attached to the classic Rokkit (which is metal necessitating superglue) as well as the plastic shoulder piece.  I'm not worried Skeetergod, but I should have been more of my typical long winded self.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 05:46:43 PM »
I feel inclined to weigh in on the great tooth pick debate!  :P  I am personally pro tooth pick.  I feel this way because my moral convictions of the "rule of cool" prevail over more level headed glue reasoning! lol  ;D

Nice looking model btw.... good times!

Adam

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 04:13:39 AM »
The toothpick (or 'cocktail stick' in the UK) isn't part of any necessary structure, it's holding up a bosspole and if it snaps it snaps, no big deal. Although a spear shaft or something would have been a good substitute.

Been working on more kustom boyz - a Loota this time.

The lighter grey parts are resin, from the FW Ork weapons pack - they're meant to go on vehicles but with a little tweaking they make a nice Deffgun. Plus bits of sprue, half a slugga, a random bit that I cut off another gun, and the shaft of a choppa. I'm working on filling in the gaps in my Ork collection - need 2 more Lootas for a full unit, have brought a shoota boy mob up to full strength, built the stormboyz a Nob since they didn't have one, and so on.
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 03:02:53 PM »
I was just thinking, too bad you didn't get back in the game last month as you could have entered OD's contest he ran. You would have been a sure winner as you are getting lots of little stuff done.

On a different note, I like the loota, I too just finished off a couple to make a full squad of fifteen with one spare just in case I want to make two squads of eight. I have found that when running my green tide that the lootas do double duty of shooting down flyers as well as taking out light armor, or pulling a wheeze (mowing down a squad before the orks can charge into it).

Keep up the pace, you are re-establishing your ork addiction. Don't fight fight it, it is "natural".   ;)

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 06:48:31 PM »
I think the loota looks great...  I really like you built him kustom, but in the same stlye as the actual models so he could fit right in...  I'll bet non ork players couldn't tell the difference! lol

Adam

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 01:17:49 PM »
I really like you built him kustom, but in the same stlye as the actual models so he could fit right in...

I have 4 other Lootas that are basically just upgraded big shoota boyz (lots of extra shooty bits) - decided to try and replicate the 'official' style with this guy  :)

Also I built another Mek, using a Mek head and backpack, the body from a BW gunner, a biker arm, a spare KMB from one of my Dreads, and a pointy arm that I just found in my bitz  :)  I wanted him to be holding the KMB minigun-style (slung under one arm and supported/triggered with the other) but couldn't find a way of doing it.

I seem to be getting a bit of a konversion bug...  maybe it's my inner Mek coming through  8)

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 05:44:37 PM »
I'm not Od when it comes to conversion...  But I've found a dremmel tool to be real handy with plastic...  You can carve away very precisely...  You might be able to use a shoota arm and a choppa other arm to make it happen... 

Another trick I'm fond of is using green stuff to make the arm join then covering the messy work with a should pad!

Adam

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »
I seem to be getting a bit of a konversion bug...  maybe it's my inner Mek coming through  8)
I'd say that's a real good thing!  Kinda like finding zen, or achieving enlightenment.  Find and express that inner Mek, the only downside is you'll have a bunch of amazing unique individual models that will take up some space, and maybe a slightly lighter bank account.  Small price to pay if you ask me.

I admit Cheesy that I'm not sure what you mean by "minigun style" but you still have a pretty awesome KMB Mek, hopefully when the new dex comes out there will be a Mekboy Mob option similar to Nobz, I know I'd dig that, it'd be a great excuse to konvert up a bunch.  (Of course if I ever get off my laurels and finish my IA8 army I'd have to build at least 2-3 Mekboyz anyway)

I've found a dremmel tool to be real handy with plastic...  You can carve away very precisely...  You might be able to use a shoota arm and a choppa other arm to make it happen... 
The Dremmel is a new addition to my toolbelt, and I gotta second adam's enthusiasm for it.  Personally I'm not using it much on GW grey, but it really eats it up very quickly and easily.  Shockingly quick and easy.  I'm certainly never going to take the hacksaw to the PVC pipe I've been using in my scratchbuilds ever again.  With the saw, it was a 1-3 hour process, with the Dremmel it's 15 minutes or less, that's a BIG difference.  Sure you loose the percision that a saw paired with a miterbox, but it's a wothwhile tradeoff if you make sure to mark off specifically where you want to cut.  I also haven't injured myself with the Dremmel yet *knocks furiously on wood* it's the only tool I haven't, and frankly I'd like to keep it that way, I really don't want to know what it can do to my fingers.

Peace
~OD

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 05:12:50 PM »
I also haven't injured myself with the Dremmel yet *knocks furiously on wood* it's the only tool I haven't, and frankly I'd like to keep it that way, I really don't want to know what it can do to my fingers.

I have a rotary tool, I use it for drilling out barrels mostly. I do have cutting wheels for it although a while ago I managed to explode one - I wear glasses, which is fortunate because one of the parts of the wheel bounced off one of the lenses...  :\   

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 06:36:02 PM »
You guys kill me...toothpicks...r otary tool mishaps...time saved...bits....wha tever....My two teef:  Cheesy, welcome back!  Great looking models.  Keep it up! :)
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 01:07:11 PM »
You too must learn the ways of the dremmel Ork enuff...  You must come with me to Alderan...  And er...  Sorry... Wrong sci fi genre! lol  ;D

Adam

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 03:31:38 AM »
I admit Cheesy that I'm not sure what you mean by "minigun style" but you still have a pretty awesome KMB Mek

Something like this - the problem was that I couldn't find a trigger-grip arm that went onto the top of a weapon instead of the bottom - all the shoota arms have the grip underneath. I was thinking of the style that the FW heavy bolters for the Heresy marines have:

Although a closer look at that one does make it obvious that it's just the standard bolter arms, attached to a different weapon. Hmm. Might have to see if I can do something along those lines...