News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Valid WWP tactic?  (Read 360 times)

Offline comradeDa

• Dracon
  • That's right. I have no nose.
    • EAC PRD
Valid WWP tactic?
« on: January 18, 2005, 04:04:18 AM »
On games where you have the second turn by some quirk of fate, could you take alot of your army in a webway portal, and deploy it on the last turn, making the last move while not taking any casualties? If you can see your "messenger" will die, deploy the portal, and allow the spread out enemy army (obviously taking table quarters or objectives) to be caught in a huge hail of fire.

This would, by the way, make a boring game. I think WWPs should be deployed if the model dies (you know, like a kamikaze Dark Eldar dude, turbo boost a jetbike into an army, and gets shot down. Then, a hail of splinters comes from his corpse, and warriors emerge from the portal, wyches, etc.). Sort of like the webway thing for ulthwe.
-=[Sybarite]=-
Sure, I'm a dracon. Shh... I like Sybarite, 'cos it sounds cooler.
My stories and stuff:
The Other Side
Operation Black Hand

My webcomic:
Evil Atheist Conspiracy Public Relations Department

Offline Champ in making

• In darkness we gather.
Re: Valid WWP tactic?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 05:37:41 AM »
You propably could if you knew that you would get second turn. This is impossible though unless its an Attacker/ Defender mission and the Attacker gets second turn. I dont think there is such a mission though since the Attacker usually gets first turn.
This is because you have to set up your army before rolling for first and second turn.

Offline CrimsonShadow

• Cheerleader!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lord Captain Cheerleader of DOOM!!!
Re: Valid WWP tactic?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 09:11:27 AM »
Also keep in mind, that if the model deploying the portal dies, the portal doesn't GET deployed.  So your reserves never come onto the table.  You also may not deploy a portal from a RJB or skyboard.  As far as deploying a portal on the last turn, that wouldn't work either.  Your reserves don't start coming onto the table until the turn after the portal is deployed.  You would have to deploy it on the turn BEFORE the last turn.  This would give your opponent's troops ample opportunity to try and surround your portal, and if they do, your reserves also cannot come onto the table, as you have to follow the rules for not coming within an inch of an enemy model unless assaulting.  To be honsest, I think this would be an expensive way to try to pull a fast one in the end, if you're trying to pull table quarters or something, and like you said, it would be a pretty boring game as well.  (unless you think it's fun trying to keep your WWP deploying unit alive)  Actually, I suppose if you just ran a normal list, and had a WWP on a haemy or something, and then dropped a portal at the end of the game on turn 5 to just bring out some bikes or something that might work for table quarters, but isn't really worth the points you're spending on it to make it possible, IMO.

That is all.

CrimsonShadow 
"Some people will tell you that slow is good...and it may be, on some days...but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...."
~ Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

We are not human beings.  We are human doings.