News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Which to use? (Bonesword & Lashwhip vs Scything Talons)  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Ends_Mouth

• By using the steaming piles of their own dead...
Which to use? (Bonesword & Lashwhip vs Scything Talons)
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:35:55 AM »
 I got the plastic Hive Tyrant today. Really like how much easier it was to deal with than my old metal one. And the wings make him look HUGE in person, which I expected by wasn't ready for.

I decided to build it with wings before I picked it up. But now I don't know what to give him weapon wise. I don't like using magnets, I like my models staying the way they are. So should I go with the Bonesword and Lashwhip with Scything Talon combo for the initiative drop in enemies, or Scything Talons all round with toxin sacs for the bunch of rerolls I get?

Thanks guys!

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
Re: Which to use? (Bonesword & Lashwhip vs Scything Talons)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
I was initially arguing to go with the lash whip & bonesword but the more I think about it the more I lean towards double talons. The flying tyrant is mainly going to end up as a sort guided missile and in that capacity I reckon pure killing power is more important, especially if you want to try and smash vehicles.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »
Keeping in mind the new rules for hitting vehicles, most of the time we are hitting them on 3's or auto hitting, so the question becomes whether re-rolling 2's is worth the loss of flexibility other weapons could bring to the table.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Ends_Mouth

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 08:16:06 PM »
I was thinking along the lines of absolutely maximizing the amount of damage it could pump out in one assault phase, like what Chuckles said.
I think the tyrant has a high enough initiative to go without the whip, and ignores armour anyway. I could throw on implant attacks if I feel the need to get instant deathy too.
Plus the talons look fair sick, so rule of cool takes me here as well.

Next time I get one I'll definitely opt for some guns. Made up my mind, thanks guys!

Offline Dracospark3

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 12:09:48 PM »
My Tyrant build personally would be

Wings
Bonesword & Lashwhip
T/L Devourers
2 Biomancy powers

Wings make you an FMC which is good, T/L Devourers fill up the second shooting slot (first being vector Strike), The nice thing about Bonesword & Lashwhip is that it drops the pesky Wych initiatives and that stuff but secondly all wounds from a Bonesword and Lashwhip ignore FnP because it is an ID weapon. The only type of save that someone could take would be invulnerable which is spread far and few between.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »
all wounds from a Bonesword and Lashwhip ignore FnP because it is an ID weapon. The only type of save that someone could take would be invulnerable which is spread far and few between.

I'm afraid this is not correct, at the stage of FNP saves boneswords do not affect ID and so FNP saves can still be made
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Free

• Mind over matter
  • Armies: Tyranids
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 05:24:13 PM »
My Tyrant build personally would be

Wings
Bonesword & Lashwhip
T/L Devourers
2 Biomancy powers

As I understand it Tyranids have 6 limbs. I have seen it in several posts but seriously, how does that setup work if you want legs on your Tyrant?

Offline Dracospark3

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 05:36:46 PM »
Feet? We need no feet :P

Offline Free

• Mind over matter
  • Armies: Tyranids
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 05:45:38 PM »
Ok cool, so instead of a wooden leg this pirate Tyrant has a whip and bonesword?

Offline Ezeykle

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 01:12:40 AM »
The Hive Mind was simply certain that the only reason this Tyrant would land is if it were dead. :P

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 02:47:04 AM »
Had a lot of fun with my OA Dakka-Flyrant today. Turn one, he flies forward and blows up a Vindi, turn two he Vector Strikes (dissapointing...) a second Vindi for a glance and whiffs his pen rolls on a third Vindi, turn three he glides, shoots a Ball Pred for a glance and then charges it, blowing it up, turn 4 he glides and shoots up 2/5 Assault Marines on foot, causing them to fall back, but finally ends up dieing in opponents turn 5.

I loved the Dakka-Flyrant in the old edition, but now he is just amazing. Screw the Scytals and Vector Strikes and LW/BS, just give him some Dev's and blow everything away!
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline devil58

• cool guys don't look at explosions
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 02:08:35 PM »
Screw the Scytals and Vector Strikes and LW/BS, just give him some Dev's and blow everything away!

Agreed...I've used a dakkaflyrant for a few games, and not only is it an awesome model, but being able to swoop 24 inches and shoot 18 more is pretty sick. I am seriously considering getting another one to bring my devourers shot total to 48 per turn with 2 dakkafexes. The tyrants can "strafe" around the board early and blast things with devourers while trying to stay away from my opponents' most scary weapons, and move in for the kill when my footsloggers catch up.

Offline Ends_Mouth

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 09:21:42 PM »
I've had really good luck since posting this using scything talons and Biomancy. He literally kills everything he touches. The only issue I have is dealing with every farmer and his
mother shooting everything they have at him to bring him down. It's worked twice in the three games I've played with him, but not before he's done a good amount of damage to
the other army. The best bit is if I get a little over zealous with my infantry, shooting and cutting up my opponent's dudes, I can redeploy him in a turn and have him wreck
up the other side of the board where there's more!