News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rogue Trader-esque Warbands and Character Conversions, and anything else I fancy  (Read 48518 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Like'm?
Looooove'm!!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Absolutely amazing, stunning, fantastic work once again Ynneadwraith.  I always look forward to seeing what you do next.  :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys! Really glad you like them :)

You win't have to wait long Calamity ;)

The young crow-girl gazed through her optics in awe. The valkyr was terrible and beautiful to behold, her bronzed skin and taut musculature visible 'neath radiant plumage. The polar opposite of her own wiry limbs. For a moment, she stood entranced...until the danger of her situation dawned upon her.

"Yes, I have seen their ilk before," the Inquisitor intoned. "The inhabitants of the Daedalus sector call them 'harpies', and righteously drive them from their spires. It surprises me little that the heathen natives here not only tolerate but positively revere these godless 'valkyr' tech-witches.

And high res :)

High res
High res
High res
High res
High res

Also also, has anyone spotted the new Delaques yet? Sweet imperial saints they're cool :) already have some ideas I want to try out with them :) I was thinking the other day about how I wanted to revamp my Dokkalfar voidborn pirates and here these guys come, perfectly suited to the job!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Now that is one gorgeous looking conversion, Ynnead. Love what you managed to do with the wings and well, the entire miniature! Really cool idea, hope the Valkyrs also get a band! ;D
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Saim-Dann

Wow!
An amazing piece, Bloke! actually went back and trolled through your previous works and man, you are improving leaps and bounds in your modeling and painting. Your writing, however, has'nt changed. It was perfect from the start... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys! I hadn't thought of doing a valkr band. I'll see what I can do!

Last guy of this warband coming up though :)

Udinn, One-eye. Late is the hour in which this charlatan chooses to appear. Mutant-kin I name you. Ill news is an ill guest.

Silence, Harkr. He has earnt his worth. Speak, Longfang. What news of the wilds have you? What news do your stormcrows bring?

I've heard some kaerls mutter that he's senile. Wasn't aware that could happen to astartes, but he certainly doesn't help himself playing god to his little crow-mutants. If he wasn't such a useful spymaster I expect he'd have been sent on his Last Hunt by now. You know, 'die with a sword in your hand'. That sort of thing.

So yeah! That's my take on Udinn, the Long Fang spymaster from way back at the start of this project :) it's taken quite a while to amass the bits I wanted for him, but I'm glad I waited for the right ones (the Deathbringer head was the only one that seemed to fit for me).

I'm glad that he came out a little lumbering and bulky. I've always thought the idea of Marines leaping around being all dynamic didn't quite fit my headcanon for them. As far as I'm concerned they should have all the subtlety and grace of a armoured rhino ;)

High res
High res
High res
High res
High res
High res

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
I come by to see...I love what I see...makes me wish I had more time to model...thanks for showing your dudes, gives me strength to dream. Working 12 hour days off every other weekend ain't leaving me time to do, well, anything. So keep it up for my sanity. Well done!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Oof that doesn't sound like any fun at all, but glad to see from your thread that you're down to just the one now!

Glad you like him too :)

Ages ago, before I started on my crows I made this guy:

I was pretty pleased with him, but the pose didn't work out quite as I'd hoped. However, the idea of crows thinking astartes are gods gave me an opportunity to make some demons too ;)

Each young crow must learn the ways of the gods. All are fickle and dangerous, even our own, but some are even moreso.

The Corpse-walkers are malevolent gods of the dead. Once mortal like the other gods, they sold their souls for the ability to transcend death. They now dwell in the nowhere-place between worlds, and are the only gods who can hunt a crow through death and into the afterlife.

The Butcher-hounds are gods of slaughter. Their minds are consumed with the anger and hate of all living things. If you lock eyes with a Butcher-hound, there is nothing, no champion, no machine, no god, that can save you from a gruesome death. All that you touch will be slaughtered.

The Flayed Men are gods of the void itself, and hunt in darkness. They stalk their prey across the stars, and create great tapestries from the hides of their victims. Once they have your scent, they will forever know where you are, no matter how far you run or how well you hide.

These three we fear most of all.

it's inspired somewhat by Bruticus' bare-torso'd Slaaneshi Marine, but I thought the idea would fit quite nicely for a Khorne Berserker given that the original berserkers were men that went into battle wearing nothing but animal skins (although that depiction of them has fallen out of favour).

The fluff is also a little teaser for some other dude's I'm putting together at the moment ;)

Also took a pic with his new buddy (or not...)

I'm quite glad that the heretic Astartes has turned out about a head bigger. I've always quite liked the idea that Chaos Marines should be even tougher, nastier and deadlier than regular Marines. They are the same dudes, but infused with chaotic power after all ;) they should be bigger and nastier.

High res
High res
High res
High res
High res

Offline Dread

• Warlock
Holy cow, he's so freaking cool! The sore looking effect around the stitches and the base is phenominal. On top of the fact he is ripped.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks man :) I figured life as a shirtless berserker in the 41st millennium would be tough so the soreness and cuts would be pretty realistic ;)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Just amazing! I love how you've taken an AOS berzerker look and completely immersed it into the world of 40k. I'm picturing Kharn after a fruitful day on the battlefield, power armour just smashed to pieces from combat, yet he just keeps on going. The energizer bunny of space marines.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Now that's what I call a Bezerker! Kharn should be green with envy ;D. Great work, Ynnead, he came out amazingly well. Love it. That band looks so great together!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
you've really got your theme down, they look great.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys! Really glad you like him :) yeah I can imagine him not stopping for anything, even after the battle's over!

Onwards and upwards though :)

And lo, the mountain rose above the horizon as a bleak and forbidding tower. Smoke bellowed from its summit, and the fearsome sound of industry echoed through the hills. The home of Fafnir, wyrm of the north, was terrible to behold. There he lurks, jealous and protective of his horde.

Those who fail to escape his clutches are brought beneath his thrall. Wyrmwights we call them. Their minds replaced with metal, they are nothing but slaves to the great dragon now.

"Stop Haaric...STOP! You know what happens to those taken by the Wyrm. They walk, they talk but they're dead Haaric. He's a wyrmwight now."

High res
High res

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Ooh, creepy servitors enthralled by a great dragon creature? Sounds really cool to me! I love these conversions, and each of them has so much personality on their own. Great work, Ynnead!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks dude :) glad you like them!

There's more coming soon, but first...

A while back I mentioned I'd do a little how-to on my painting style on the next crow...and now many crows later I've finally done one!

Step 1 is priming (ignore the browns for now). I tend to prime in white as a bit of a relic of learning to paint with eldar. Plus, it's easier to get lighter colours to work, especially those with poor coverage.

Step 2 is to block out the base colours that are straight out of the pot. For these guys that's Abaddon Black for the metal and quills, Pallid Wych Flesh for the skin, and Ushabti Bone for any bones (none on this guy). No need to be particularly neat with this step as you can touch stuff up later.

Step 3 is to mix up some colours for the cloth and wood/leather. Each colour gets maybe one or two uses on a model before mixing a new one, which helps get some variety into a limited-palette model. I tend to start with a mix of Abaddon Black and Fenrisian Grey to make a cold grey, and then gradually add different blues and greens into the mix to get varied colours.

It's the same process for browns, starting with Rhinox Hide mixed with Fenrisian Grey to cool it down, with various blues and browns mixed in to vary the colours. It helps if you've got a couple of models primed for this bit so you can use the same colour on multiple models before you mix it into a new one :)

Step 4 is to roughly drybrush some highlights onto the metal, cloth, wood and leather. The aim here is to be a bit rough and streaky, picking out high points and adding texture. Steel gets Leadbelcher. Blues, greens and greys get Fenrisian Grey. Browns get Ushabti Bone. Quills get Pallid Wych Flesh.

Picking a light colour here works really well, and you can get some really nice colours by drybrushing over a non-standard highlight colour (blue over green/bone over red/light green over blue etc.). I've added a pic of the shield as it really helps pick up details like this :)

Step 5 is to add in any little embellisment colours, like Warplock Bronze on trinkets and fittings, Wazdakka Red on lenses, and Administratum Grey on hoses. Now's the time to touch up any messy bits. Hopefully by doing the unmixed colours first you should only have to touch up straight from the pot. If you do have to touch up mixed colours, don't fret too much about the colour match. It's rarely noticeable unless it's way out.

Step 6 is washes. Fairly liberal Nuln Oil Gloss wash over everything but the skin, which helps blend in the rough drybrushing a bit and pick out the highlights. The skin gets a lighter wash of Druchii Violet.

Step 7 involves re-drybrushing the skin with Pallid Wych Flesh, adding some freehand tattoos and then doing another very light drybrush of your skintone over the tattoos to help them look worn in.

Step 8 is to sit back and admire your finished crow! (and touch up any mistakes, which I haven't done on this guy yet). Pretty much all of my models use this same process, but vary the colours used to get different schemes. Sometimes there's variations in order (the elk-men have their skintone highlight under the wash to help them look grubbier etc.), but that's pretty much it :)

All-in, there's probably only 15 or so colours in all of my models, just in different combinations and mixes, so it's cheap too!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
Very well done "how too", most excellent. It helps even old dogs like me get fresh ideas. I always enjoy seeing your blog.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Love the tutorial, Ynneadwraith, I'm sure many would-be crows will be mustering mighty war bands with this tutorial ;D!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Yeah these are some of the most amazing conversions I’ve ever seen!  Outstanding work Ynneadwraith.  :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Great How To guide Ynnead. Some useful tips and tricks for everyone.

I love this new batch of minis. The tattoo work on Udinn's war band is particularly good.

Such a good style and so well executed. Great work bud.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...