News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500pts speed freaks army  (Read 1333 times)

Offline 04petersmc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
1500pts speed freaks army
« on: June 19, 2010, 07:31:13 PM »
Heres a list I have made can I please have some critism.

HQ
Warboss-Big choppa,'eavy armour, Bosspole-75

Big Mek- Shokk attack gun-95

Troops
3 Nob bikers- PK, 2 Big choppa-170

11 Boyz-Nob, PK, Bosspole-106

Trukk- Red paint job, Grot riggers, wrecking ball-55

Fast attack
6 Warbikers- Nob, PK, Bosspole-190

6 Warbikers- Nob, PK, Bosspole-190

Heavy support
Battlewagon- Killcannon, Deff rolla, Red paint job, Grot riggers, armour plates-190

The Boyz are all in the trukks and but the last squad go in the battlewagon with the warboss. This whole army is very aimed to be as fast as possible. Please can you give me some critisism.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: 1500pts speed freaks army
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:18:32 PM »
It's a pretty good list overall. The Mek with the SAG is a bit of a weak link though; either he stays by himself to fire the SAG, in which case he's very vulnerable, or he joins a Trukk mob, in which case he can't shoot while the Trukk races around. I'd consider giving him a Kustom Force Field instead. A KFF pays for itself many times over in a list with a lot of vehicles.

The killkannon on the Battlewagon is also a bit of a puzzler. Most of the time the 'wagon is going to be moving at full speed, I'm assuming, which means you won't be able to fire the killkannon. 

Otherwise though it's a nice list, should do well.

Offline ogyon

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 12:34:32 AM »

warboss with big choppa, is like an F16 with knives. The big one  need a powerklaw to show no mercy to the enemies.
Mek with shockgun is a funny-fluffy choice but wont play at all. Try  him and  watch this happen.
3x Nob bikerz is like zero. Either built a big unit , or watch a small one  die from the first big blast.
On the trukk  grot riggers and b.ball is not a good choice. Best choices to support the trukk are RPG, R.Ram, A.Plates and a plank.
warbikerz that are a fast choice and  not some nobz upgraded are not a good option at  all. You see they cost tooooooooo much doing nothing special rather  than a good cover to your  trukks. (for  that cause take a mek KFF). Battlewagon IMO is  always better full of boyz with deffrola and the upgrades I stated for  the trukks,  rather than with the cannon. You see str7 cannon means nothing. I test to see if a cannon is worth  it, is testing it on a mob of nobz.  If it kills them, then any enemy  will suffer, if not,  then  don't take  it!

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 04:59:04 AM »
I disagree with all of the above.  :)

I routinely use a Warboss with big choppa, kombi-skorcha, eavy armour, cybork and squig. He's cheap and very efficient. I don't fancy striking last against those pesky power weapons/fists, this way I get to make use of his good initiative on the charge to do some chopping. I leave power klaws to the Nobz that can't be picked out and beaten up on. That said, I mostly play against GEQ armies where I don't need to ignore armour saves that badly. I'm not saying a power klaw is ineffective, just that a big choppa can be effective as well.

3 Nob Bikers ought to be fine at this points level. They're a durable unit even when not in large numbers thanks to multiple wounds and their built-in cover save. I wouldn't mind seeing a Painboy riding with them for Feel No Pain irritation, but I don't think this is a bad unit by any stretch.

I think that, much like the Warboss, equipment on a Trukk is simply a matter of choice. Grot Riggers are handy buggers to have around, since they keep our Boyz on the move, and the wreckin' ball is cheaper than a plank. They're also more reliable against tanks that have moved more than 6", as they always hit on a 4+. Armour plates are certainly handy though.

Warbikers are definitely a good option. You pay for two good saves, mobility and (relatively) reliable, hard-hitting shooting. They're a fast, durable unit that can hit quite hard and stay in the fight for a while. I don't think there are any bad options in our Codex, simply ones that need to be used properly.

While I don't disagree that the killkannon should be gone, I do disagree that it's meaningless. Against a unit of Marines, it works just fine. It doesn't cause instant death, true, but it doesn't need to against most targets and S7 will still wound most things on a 2+. There are things in the game besides Nobz that need killing. A burna won't kill a Nob, does that make it a bad weapon? Of course not, because not everything has a Nob statline. The killkannon has a place, it just isn't on a transport 'wagon.

I don't mean this to sound like an attack on you, please don't take it that way, but from what I've seen of your posting on other people's lists, you have a habit of finding fault with everything. I think it's better to try and make the army he wants work rather than chuck everything out and have him playing your list.

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 05:39:45 AM »
I do like your list quite a bit 04petersmc, although as personal preference I would tweak it with just the following.

Warboss - Using pts you save from further on invest in a cybork body.

Trukks - Leave the RPJ, but drop all other upgrades. Trukks get destroyed far to quickly, and so loading up the upgrades isn't as worthwhile.

Trukk-less Boyz - Increase the unit to 18 Boyz, with the Nob. Either the Nob or the Warboss can loose their Bosspole when the Warboss joins this unit.

Battlewagon - Drop the Killkannon, add 2 Big Shootas (for weapon destroyed purposes), and use as the Boyz + Warboss ride.

Finally add a unit of 14 Grots & a Runtherd for 52 pts, and stick the Big Mek with the unit so he doesn't get shot up so easily.

Added all up it comes to 1499pts.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 05:41:22 AM by DropFall »

Offline 04petersmc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 10:58:29 AM »
I have just played the original list against necrons and i well and truely beat him. I destroyed his monolith on the first turn with the deffrolla on battlewagon. Then i rolled a double 6 on the SAG and wiped out a 10 man necron squad. I then used the rest of the boyz to attack the rest of the necron warriors and the bikes to attack the scarabs. I wiped out most of the necron warriors and phasing him out which instantly took all his units off the board including the deciever which I had been avoiding most of the game.
Although I found exactly what has been said above to be true-

I must drop the killcannon as I could not use it most of the time because I had moved cruising speed.

About the Mek with SAG i can see the that he doesn't fit in with the theme of the army but i use him because he is so fun to use. Especially when he rolls double 6's. The next game I play i will try him with KFF and see how it plays out in the army.

Also with the points saved from the killcannon i will add more boyz into the squad in the battlewagon to make it a better threat and keep the mob numbers way above a 11 to make them fearless.

I do have grots but they don't seem to play well in this army so i don't play them.

Thankyou for all the advice