News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Corsair POC: Scions of the Void  (Read 50447 times)

Offline Radium

• Just another guy.
Re: Corsair POC: Scions of the Void
« Reply #240 on: October 16, 2012, 11:57:45 AM »
I've been focussing on my Craftworld and Harlequin armies lately, but I still feel I can chip in here.

The decrease in cover save really hurts the corsairs, as does the addition of hull points. Corsair Mech was a very viable list in 5th, and I feel it has lost quite a bit of its power now that the falcons will get glanced to death. Not being able to score from within transports is yet another blow to the mech list.
Corsairs also suffer from the same issues Craftworld Eldar suffer from in 6th, such as the boost to rapid fire and the aforementioned reduced cover saves.

Overall though, I still feel Corsairs are pretty much where 5th left them on the power scale. Now that the flyers are proper flyers (and Vector Dancers, which is incredibly awesome!) and the addition of allies really helps here. With corsairs you can basically combine 3 codices to maximum potential. That alone is very, very cool. What we need most now though, is some resilient units to soak up some of the incoming damage. Wraith constructs or allied Space Marines (preferably Deathwing or similar) really helps here.
The basic Corsair is pretty decent now with BS4 and a good selection of weapons. Just plonking down a couple of 5-man squads with Missile Launchers and Corsair Venoms to annoy the opponent costs next to no points at all, allowing you to take some more resilient troops to take forward objectives and get some of the awesome units available to us (flyers, Warp Hunters, Wasps, Hornets etc).
Knowledge is power; guard it well.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #241 on: October 16, 2012, 12:16:33 PM »
Radiuim I think you're right.  I think there are many ways of putting out a decent Corsair army. By decent I think I  mean fluffy and fun to play woith. As for competative I don't know.

We can put down a lot of cheap troops with a high rate of fire. But these are extreamly vulnerable to return fire.

We can put out a lot of fast, light vehicles with high strenght weaponary but again these are very vulnerable to even a simple boltgun.

We can spam Falcon hulls with a varied assortment of weaponary. I think this is a hang over from 5th but I'm hearing Eldar players now say it is viable with a change in tactics. Where we used to have our Falcons sitting back as DAVU gunboats, we now need to keep them cheap and keep them moving.  In the early days of the Corsair list I ran 2 with Bright lances for taking out heavy armour, problem was is that in 6th people stopped taking heavy armour!  ???

We have access to arguably the best flyers in the game. but they cost $$$£££€€€ !!!

Allies, I've not tried yet outside the list itself. But to mirror what Radium says about a hard hitting unit or two A Dark Eldar Haemonculous and some Grotesques maybe an idea.... Wyches will also fill the combat void in the army and would be cheaper than an Squad of Aspect Warriors.

Offline Khorne25

• Corsair "Exarch"
  • Armies: DE, CWE, Eldar Corsairs
« Reply #242 on: October 16, 2012, 12:47:21 PM »
Khorne's mech and aerial army is still underway!

I havent played my Corsairs in 6th yet actually, my models have been borrowed (esp my Nightwings and Warp Hunters).

Ive been looking at Chaos, but the whispers of Chaos are but a distraction from the true way.

My Voidborn Eldar Corsairs

OLD Eldar Corsair Blog

Former armies:
Tau, SM, CSM, 3rd Ed DE (updating to 5th Ed)

Offline Calindor

• Maybe yes, maybe no
  • Armies: Corsairs, Space marines, Chaos daemons of Nurgle
« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2012, 02:19:25 AM »
Hello everyone. I´m thinking to start a corsairs army for two reasons; first that they look awsome (I´m so old that I remember eldar from the Rogue trader days) and second because I think they will be very intersting to play. I have put up a 1000p army list in the other forum (where they belong) but i also have some questions:

1: what is our best unit to take out veichles, specially AV 14?

2: and what is our best unit for close combat? Because some armies will get into your face and I think we need sometihng that can deal with that but can´t really see exacly which unit it is.

My thought about corsairs is to be like small bees. Flying around, annoying people and then take the objectivs in the last round :) Is this a correct basic strategy?

Another question but more out of interest, why did you start with your corsairs and how did you start to collect them?

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #244 on: October 19, 2012, 05:35:21 AM »
Close up, Warp hunters at a distance the Nightwing. I@d favour the Nightwing myself. Both ubnits benefit by being run in pairs.

2: and what is our best unit for close combat? Because some armies will get into your face and I think we need sometihng that can deal with that but can´t really see exacly which unit it is.
Close combat, what's that? Corsairs DO NOT DO close combat. Best you're going to get is a Banshees or Scorpions as craftworld allies or Harlequins

My thought about corsairs is to be like small bees. Flying around, annoying people and then take the objectivs in the last round :) Is this a correct basic strategy?
it could work but you're going to have to be super good at the yo-yo tactic. Corsairs are fragile and will die quickly to anything more than a stiff wind. also with many small units youll be giving up a lot of victory points in Purge the Alien and the like.

Another question but more out of interest, why did you start with your corsairs and how did you start to collect them?
Hi, my name is Arquarian and I'm a Corsair  ;D
I started Corsairs as it gave me a break from the Craftworld list and allowed me access to the Gorgeous Dark Eldar models to collect paint and model. Plus those Forgeworld models are lovely.  The corsair List is NOT an easy list to play with and none of us corsairs here have really made the list work in a competative way yet.

Zilverscale has had some measure of sucess but that's because he takes 2 Nightwings and a Phoenix bomber in his lists  :P .
Heavy Mech may world for us but this is still under debate.  I'll go take a look at your list and see what its like
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 05:36:25 AM by Arquarian »

Offline Khorne25

• Corsair "Exarch"
« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »
Hello everyone. I´m thinking to start a corsairs army for two reasons; first that they look awsome (I´m so old that I remember eldar from the Rogue trader days) and second because I think they will be very intersting to play. I have put up a 1000p army list in the other forum (where they belong) but i also have some questions:

1) Warp Hunters with D Cannon, Nightwings with 2 Brightlances
2) We have a good selection of Eldar units as a unique Elite choice. On top of that there is the 6th Ed Allies rule - Wyches/Aspect Warriors. As Arq points out, Corsairs arent a melee swashbuckling army - they do however have Harlies.

What you are describing there is the yo-yo tactic of having Corsair squads move with jetpacks (JSJ jetpacks) in bounding overwatch. I know a couple of guys here use that but most popular is a mech-aerial army with maximised dakka through vehicle platforms (infantry in Falcons/Venoms).

As you can tell from my name I started W40K as a Khornate Chaos player that slowly mellowed into Night Lords/Red Corsairs/Fallen Angels. I too knew the Eldar from RT days (but this was instruction from my uncle) and so the craftworld Eldar didnt really appeal to me. Dark Eldar and Eldar Corsairs were right up my street. I thoroughly enjoy the archaic feel of the Corsairs, they try to herald from pre-Fall times, their mercenary nature and also the flexibility. Of all lists, the Corsairs are the least well known and also one of the most varied.

I started with Forgeworld. It was those Corsair models that really got me remembering old RT eldar. I swore I would only ever play pirate eldar (hence my Dark Eldar collection) but really the slightly more sane Corsairs are a better match for me.

OLD Eldar Corsair Blog

Former armies:

Offline Calindor

• Maybe yes, maybe no
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2012, 10:36:22 AM »
Thank you very much for your answers, both of you. I think you are right that we should stay out from CC but I guess one counter unit is sometihng we need. I do like the harlquins as those models looks great and the backstory of them is also awsome. So propably going there. For the AV my thought so far is the Voidhunter. Such a cool model and a D-cannon has always been a favorit (and who can say no to the biggest of them all?!)

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2012, 11:00:32 AM »
What's better than one Warp Hunter...?    two Warp Hunters!

I've was never a fan of Harlequins in Craftworld armies but in Corsair lists they seem to work well in my mind. Whereas Aspect Warriors just don't.

Offline Khorne25

• Corsair "Exarch"
« Reply #248 on: October 19, 2012, 11:07:04 AM »
What's better than one Warp Hunter...?    two Warp Hunters!

Whereas Aspect Warriors just don't.

Fire Dragons.

Fire Dragons is all I have to say... (well not so important in 6th Ed, but back in 5th...)

And having multiple Warp Hunters is what Kirby at 3++ would call multiple vectors. Present enough threats that each in their own right can do terrible terrible damage.

OLD Eldar Corsair Blog

Former armies:

Offline Calindor

• Maybe yes, maybe no
« Reply #249 on: October 19, 2012, 11:25:08 AM »
Yes, two warp hunters are way better then one. I have a similiar problem in my space marine army where I only use one vindicator. it never those anything except dieing. So two are better :)

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2013, 09:20:40 PM »
Hmm which of the 2 (DE or Eldar) codi would be better to represent Corsairs on the field of battle?
(when not allowed to use FW lists)
With allies, and being battlebrothers, we can mix a lot :)

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Khorne25

• Corsair "Exarch"
« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2013, 09:25:06 PM »
Dark Eldar for sure, with Eldar allies of course.

OLD Eldar Corsair Blog

Former armies:

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2013, 09:27:10 PM »
Have 2 different lists posted in the DE and the Eldar list+tactics boards.

C&C appreciated ;)

1750 list (Eldar allies) C&C appreciated
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:11:26 PM by Zilverscale »

Offline Khorne25

• Corsair "Exarch"
« Reply #253 on: March 10, 2013, 10:19:26 AM »
Its been a while since I posted but yesterday I had my first game in nearly a year.

My general thoughts on the meta for Corsairs can be summed up: use Allies.

Ill do a batrep in a little while.

OLD Eldar Corsair Blog

Former armies:

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #254 on: March 10, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »
Allies are fun.

I'm currently using either Eldar or DEldar as parent list and add in allies to represent my corsair forces.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #255 on: May 21, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »
New Dex coming and is sturing my Eldar, interests again. I notice there's an Outcast Character, should be fun.

Looks like I'll be dusting off the corsair once more...

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #256 on: June 19, 2013, 09:13:42 AM »
Its been a while, but I suppose you you to go away to come back...

A new codex and a new supplement. We're unlikely to get such treatment but sill rely on our Bible, IA11.  Still, with the upgrades to the main codex I personally think this benefits our list especially the bladestorm rules.

On another note,
The POC's are all getting amalgamated.  As we were never granted full status as one I'm not sure what this means for us. hopefully the powers that be will recognise that, although small we are still here... Cavalier has soldiered on like a trooper. And there are a few more of us around. 

I personally will be looking to get my Iyanden army up to scratch and will then look again at my void Dragons...

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #257 on: July 25, 2013, 04:05:24 PM »
Also still alive...and slowely working on my corsairs (got some wicked 80's models for them :) )

Cannot access 40konline from home...takes about 3 minutes to load each page (only site I have this prob with) so not on much anymore.

Hope FW will get of their arse and post a FAQ that brings the IA11 list in line with the new Eldar rules.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #258 on: July 26, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »
Me too, I have a lot of trouble getting on to the site sometimes.

After I have my new wraith wall fully painted updating my corsairs will be my next project but i' think I'm going to start again. Lots of Forgeworld models, Hornets in particular...