News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 500 Point Eldar vs. Sisters of Battle (my first 40k game)  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Blackarrow

500 Point Eldar vs. Sisters of Battle (my first 40k game)
« on: March 15, 2009, 02:52:32 AM »
Battle Report:  Eldar vs. Sisters of Battle (500 Points)
Scenario:  Annihilation
Deployment:  Dawn of War

Let me start by saying that as it was my first game, I think my opponent decided to play nice.  He could have fielded Imperial Guard, which I think would have given me a LOT more trouble, judging from what he had available.  I’m also making this Report from memory, so some of the particulars may be slightly incorrect.

Eldar Force:
1 Farseer with Guide and Mind War, Spirit Stones (deployed with Guardian Defenders)
10 Dire Avengers, Exarch with two shuriken catapults
10 Guardian Defenders, Scatter Laser Platform, Warlock with Singing Spear and Embolden
2 War Walkers with two Scatter Lasers on each

Sisters Force (opposing force, so I don’t have all the specifics):
1 Canoness (deployed independently)
10 Battle Sisters with Veteran, equipped with holy book.  Some storm bolters in there too.
10 Battle Sisters with Veteran, equipped with holy book.  Some storm bolters in there too.
5 Retributors with Heavy Bolters

Deployment:  Sisters deployed right up on the edge of their area, as far into the table as they could get, using cover very well.  I deployed in the right side corner of my area, bunching fairly close together, hiding behind a building and some hedges.

Turn 1:  Sisters moved first.  Retributors entered the table and moved forward 2 inches, setting themselves up with clear lanes of fire to my troops.  Battle Sisters moved forward and towards my firebase.  One unit got within range and shot one of my Guardian Defenders.  On my turn, my Walkers entered to the left of my main body of troops.  Dire Avengers moved forward towards a Battle Sisters unit.  My Farseer attempted Mind War on that unit’s Veteran, but the Sisters divine resistance nullified it.  I then Guided the Avengers, and they killed four out of ten Battle Sisters in that unit.  Then my Walkers and Scatter Laser Platform killed three more, including the Veteran.  The Sisters failed their morale check, and ran.

Turn 2:  The Retributors drew a bead on my Dire Avengers and killed six!  They passed their morale check and held, however.  The three survivors of the decimated Battle Sister squad rallied with a Faith Point, and hid behind a large rock.  The Canoness moved closer, as did the other Battle Sister squad.  On my turn, the three remaining Dire Avengers and their Exarch moved closer to the Canoness and unleashed Guided shuriken catapult shots into her, killing her outright.  The War Walkers were unable to shoot at anything, not having line of sight through the various buildings and other cover.

Turn 3:  The Retributors fired on my Guardian Defenders, killing three, as the Dire Avengers were now out of their line of sight.  The three survivors of the decimated Battle Sister squad popped out of hiding and charged into my Avengers, using Faith to improve their initiative.  They killed one, and I killed one of theirs in return.  The untouched Battle Sister squad moved closer, and tried to fire at my Guardians but were out of range.  On my turn, the Avengers and Sisters continued their melee to no effect.  My Guardians moved a bit closer to the untouched Battle Sister Squad, keeping the War Walkers between them and the full-strength Battle Sister squad.  The Farseer tried Mind War on the remaining Veteran, which was once again nullified by her faith in the debased corpse god.  Guide on the War Walkers was more effective, as they killed four of the five Retributors in one salvo.  The remaining Retributor held her ground.

Turn 4: The last Retributor hit my War Walkers once, but did not penetrate the armor.  The full-strength Battle Sister unit had more luck, destroying a Scatter Laser on each Walker with massed bolter fire.  The melee between the two Sisters and my Avengers continued, with one more Avenger falling but no one running.  On my turn, the Walkers finished off the final Retributor, and the Weapons Platform killed a Sister in the formerly untouched squad.  My Farseer Mind Warred with the Veteran again, and killed her, scoring five wounds (ouch!).  One more Sister fell to my Warlock’s Singing Spear.

Turn 5: The melee between the Sisters and Avengers continued with no effect.  The other Sister unit fired their bolters again at my War Walkers, and scored no effective hits.  I then responded by moving my Guardians forward, Guiding them, shredding three of the remaining Sisters in that unit with the shuriken catapults. They then charged the remaining four Sisters, killing one.  The War Walkers charged into the stalemated melee, killing the remaining Sister there.

Turn 6: The melee continued with no effect between the Guardians and the Sisters.  On my turn, I charged the War Walkers and Avengers in.  My opponent conceded at that point, saying that there was no need to roll the dice, as the Sisters were stomped.

Score:  Eldar 4, Sisters 0.

Offline NickelCity

Re: 500 Point Eldar vs. Sisters of Battle (my first 40k game)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:30:25 PM »
Gratz on the win! 

I'm not terribly familiar with SoB, so I'm at a loss as to what the retributers are capable of.
    I wish you were able to take some pics; I'm having a little trouble imagining what the battle looked like. 
    I tend not to take mind war, especially for a smaller battle.  Guide/Doom would be more effective I believe, especially against units with a 3+. 
    Take care as you play to note that mind war occurs in the shooting phase.  With the exception of E-Storm and mind war, all of the Farseer's powers must be used at the beginning of the turn (before moving). 
    I wish I could have seen that battle; I thought the battle would have ended differently when I saw your list.  If the mission were seize ground, the game may have been much closer.
    I am trying to total the cost of your army.  Are you certain it is 500 points? I believe you are a little over.
    I have started fielding War Walkers in my 1000 pt list.  With guide, they are able to do a lot of damage.  Whats effective about your setup is that (I don't believe) much of the SoB has much that can hurt them in cc.  What better than to shoot and assault to tie up a squad that would otherwise pose a threat to your troops?
    For myself, I forgo the fire power for mobility in 500 pt list.  I field a Wave Serpent carrying Dires and my Farseer.  That way i can capture objectives quickly without exposing my troops.  I can Guide/Doom all day long from within my transport.

Offline Sandytrain

Re: 500 Point Eldar vs. Sisters of Battle (my first 40k game)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 04:54:06 PM »
Checked the points. Exactly 500 :) .  Looks like it is a lot more.  Nice way of phrasing the story.  It was very entertaining to read.  Good job on the win and goodluck.