News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Campaign Advice...  (Read 320 times)

Offline Asur

• through the burning corpse pall we come for you
Campaign Advice...
« on: September 16, 2002, 02:33:38 PM »
Hello all. First time poster here.

I just wanted to get some advice from some other Eldar players on this subject.

My WH40k group has been doing a campaign much like Vogen. I have been playing my Eldar from the beginning and so far we've done well.

My army's motivation is that Asurmen(we allow a single special character in the armies) has come to this world under the impression that his original shrine is buried under the Governor's palace.(According to fluff the original shrine was destroyed, but our organizer has cool ideas) Thus Asurmen is constantly seeking to get to the palace grounds and stay there.

My actual question is this. If you were running in a cityfight Campaign what would you take for your army choices?
I wanted to be the first kid on my block with a confirmed kill.-Joker, Full Metal Jacket

Offline Silverthorn

• Ancient
  • Destroying the enemy with a smile!
Re:Campaign Advice...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2002, 05:00:19 PM »
I never played Cityfight but here is what I remember from previous posts about this.

First: units that normally suck in regular battles can rock in cityfight.

Example: warp spiders. Remember that they ignore terrain when they move! Great to go thru walls. And they can move out, shoot and move back in. Useful since there is a lot of cover in cityfight.

I also remember that numbers have a bigger influence in cityfight in close combat. So a bunch of guardians with enhance will be powerful.

Since most of your stuff will always be considered in cover you can give your warlock other powers if they go with guardian squads.

Rangers can also be nice (they improve their cover saves and go faster thru difficult terrain).

Tanks might be a bad choice if the terrain is very tight.

Hope it helps! I ain't no pro in cityfight but I remember a lot of stuff ;)
There's no Right or Wrong
There's only Fun and Boring

--My EldarOnline articles:
Starting an Eldar army: http://www.eldaronline.com/editorials/editorials_startingup.shtml
Seer Council Tactics: http://www.eldaronline.com/tactics/tactics_ulthwe.shtml
Guardians Tactics: http://www.eldaronline.com/tactics/tactics_defenderguardians.shtml

--To view the full picture of my avatar, click this link: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/m/e/meilleur/eldebaran.gif.html

Offline Jericho

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2002, 05:05:45 PM »
I've never played City Fight either but friends of mine have. :-\

Flamers are leathal or so I'm told. 8)

Therefore as Silverthorn pointed out there is more cover so the destructor power could be handy. :o

Hope it helps. ;D
My karma has run over your dogma.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2002, 09:07:19 AM »
Having played a few city fights I have the following advice.  Stormies rule!  take flamers, a warlock with enhance, and they are the meanest unit on the board. With fleet of foot they can get through the kill zones PDQ,  The extra attacl plus flamers if they dont use the attack, plasma grenades to even up the combat, hay wire grenades for armor killing, I just cant say enough good stuff about storm guardians.   Warp spiders are good, because they do not take difficult terrain tests, and thier S6 weapon will kill a lot of armor.  The exarch with blades surprise attack and withdraw will earn the points back in one combat.  Jet bikes are very usefull.  The 6" extra move allows you to get out of sight and into cover. For Falcons and vypers the CTM will be worth the points, just not getting hit is better than a holo field.  Scorpians are an excellent troop choice, as are banshees, you get everyones full attacks if they are in 6" of the combat.  D-cannon with thier dont need line of sight will rock supported by a squad of defenders a battery of 3 D-cannon will hold a whole quarter.  Tactic is to move deliberatly, clear out a quarter at a time, usually owning two quarters and contesting the others will win you the game.  Some scenarios are different so play to objectives, but dont forget those quarters.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Asur

• through the burning corpse pall we come for you
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2002, 10:00:53 AM »
Thanks for the advice. We played last night and I teamed up with the Tau player against the Necrons. :'(

It was a great game with huge amounts of casualties on buth sides, but it ended with a flat out draw. Needless to say, using Asurmen with a squad of Banshees is both very contradictive and monsterous. The banshees softened up the units while Asurmen cleaned them out.

Eldar Wargear and Tau firepower are a devastating combination.  ;D
I wanted to be the first kid on my block with a confirmed kill.-Joker, Full Metal Jacket