News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 Point Tournament List for Review  (Read 293 times)

Offline TW06

1500 Point Tournament List for Review
« on: February 12, 2007, 11:54:59 AM »
Like the title says....provide your feedback!

HQ
Senior officer powerfist bolter
2 x flamer, 2 x laspistol ccw

Anti tank squad 3 x lascannon

Elite
Stormtroopers
2 x hellgun, 2 x meltagun, deepstrike
vet sarge hellpistol, power weapon, meltabombs

Troops
Infantry Platoon
JO Plasma Pistol Power Weapon
4 x Plasma gun
Infantry Squad missile launcher plasma gun
Infantry Squad missile launcher grenade launcher
Armored Fist Squad
Missile launcher meltagun
chimera pintle stubber, rough terrain mod, smoke

Fast Attack
Hellhound w/ smoke launchers

Heavy Support
Basilisk w/ indirect fire
Leman Russ w/ hull hb, sponson hb
LR Demolisher with hull lc, sponson Plasma cannon

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: 1500 Point Tournament List for Review
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 12:31:19 PM »
HQ
Senior officer powerfist bolter
2 x flamer, 2 x laspistol ccw

The power fist will get the officer killed very quickly. Being an Independent Character, he can and will be picked out of the crowd. A power weapon would be recommended. The bolter is also a poor choice of weapon for a squad that otherwise looks geared for counter assault. You may wish to consider demoting the officer to junior status to save points. I predict you'll hardly notice the difference in survivability or hittiness in assault. The flamers are good, as are the laspistols. But the squad should have a company standard. It is the number one morale improvement, being both cheap and highly effective.

Anti tank squad 3 x lascannon

Fair enough. I prefer to spread lascannons out in my infantry squads to make them survive for more than two turns, but apparently people can get support squads to work. I'd still try to get some lascannons elsewhere too, because only three in just one place is asking for trouble.

Stormtroopers
2 x hellgun, 2 x meltagun, deepstrike
vet sarge hellpistol, power weapon, meltabombs

I'd remove the veteran and all his gear to save points. This is only a suicide squad after all. Five veterans with three meltaguns and the drop troops doctrine would be better, but I won't recommend you take them. For my tastes too many people use the no-brainer doctrines already. But if it's maximum efficiency with no holds barred that you're looking for, get veterans, close order drill, iron discipline and drop troops.

Infantry Platoon
JO Plasma Pistol Power Weapon
4 x Plasma gun
Infantry Squad missile launcher plasma gun
Infantry Squad missile launcher grenade launcher

The officer's pistol should ideally be removed because of its cost. The power weapon is OKish. It's nice and cheap but doesn't help the squad with its actual role: rapid fire devastation. The infantry squads should both have plasma guns. Grenade launchers are something I put in my static squads in friendly games, but that I wouldn't even dream of bringing to a tournament. They're negligibly cheaper than plasma guns but very much inferior due to their strength and AP. I'd say you should get lascannons too because they're far better than missile launchers at mostly everything imaginable. The increased cost is ultimately worthwhile in my opinion.

Armored Fist Squad
Missile launcher meltagun
chimera pintle stubber, rough terrain mod, smoke

I'd arm the AF squad like I would the infantry squads: las/plas. The single meltagun is unreliable due to the squad's Ballistic Skill and does not complement the missile launcher (which is a sub-par weapon to begin with). The Chimera's main weapons are a multi-laser and heavy bolter I presume? I prefer extra armour over smoke launchers personally, but it's not a huge problem.

Hellhound w/ smoke launchers

Very well.

Basilisk w/ indirect fire
Leman Russ w/ hull hb, sponson hb
LR Demolisher with hull lc, sponson Plasma cannon

All is well in tank land.

Is this really a 1.5K list? Seems a bit on the small side. In summary, a few of your squads could do with having their weapons configurations altered, but on the whole it's not a bad list at all. You've taken very little wargear, which is always good to see.

Offline TW06

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 03:51:39 PM »
I don't typically take a lot of wargear in my lists, although I've experimented with the macharian cross on my general, and various master-crafted weapons when there are extra points around.  The basic idea for the list is pound away with the tanks and heavy weapons, use the hellhound and hqs to ward off things that get too close.

Of course, it doesn't always work that way, and the list suffers greatly at this size if teh bad guys get too close!

I've pared this down from a much larger list, it may in fact be just a bit light, as I don't have my codex or army builder in front of me (at work.)

Those are all really good suggestions...here are some of my first reactions:

HQ - Good point about the power first getting the guy killed, and the bolter not fitting in very well...He's just the figure that I have.  I could substitute a power fist/laspistol, or use the plasma pistol/ power weapon guy from the infantry squad, however.  In larger games, I run this HQ with a commisar with power weapon, priest with eviscerator, and psyker with honorifica and master crafted force weapon.  I tried to just bring it down to basic for this list.

Anti-tank squad.  I could put the lascannons in the infantry squads, and move the missile launchers here.  I can also run 3x heavy bolters, which if I find the list is light I would probably add.

Stormtroopers.  Good call on the veteran/gear.  Saves a few points.  Another option is to use infiltrate and use 2xplasmagun, and I can use a full squad if I have points.  thoughts?

Infantry platoon:
I can change out the plasma pistol/power weapon (use him as the officer) and just have a JO with a bolter here.  I'll probably do that, actually.
I only own 5 plasma gunners, would they be better as I have them, or put one in each infantry squad (plus one in the armored fist squad) and put two in this squad along with a 4th lascannon and crew?  I don't want to dilute the effect of 4 rapid firing plasma guns, though.  The lascannon is nice, however.  hmm.

Armored fist
Chimera has multi laser, hull HB, pintle heavy stubber.  I could probably find points for both smoke AND extra armor.
Same as above re: plasma/lascannon.

Fast:  I love the hellhound!

Heavy:  I agree, the tanks are as I like them!

My other options would be sentinels (I have two with autocannons) the aforementioned 3 heavy bolter teams, and I have enough left over to run a 6 man remnant squad with either a flamer or meltagun, or a special weapons team with 3 x meltaguns.

I need about 2 more plasma gun troops to really make it work, apparently.

Thanks for the review, and I hope you have time to get through all of this as well!

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 04:18:16 PM »
I don't typically take a lot of wargear in my lists, although I've experimented with the macharian cross on my general, and various master-crafted weapons when there are extra points around.  The basic idea for the list is pound away with the tanks and heavy weapons, use the hellhound and hqs to ward off things that get too close.

A feasible plan.

I've pared this down from a much larger list, it may in fact be just a bit light, as I don't have my codex or army builder in front of me (at work.)

I got out the old calculator and it turns out this list is just over 1300 points...

HQ - Good point about the power first getting the guy killed, and the bolter not fitting in very well...He's just the figure that I have.  I could substitute a power fist/laspistol, or use the plasma pistol/ power weapon guy from the infantry squad, however.  In larger games, I run this HQ with a commisar with power weapon, priest with eviscerator, and psyker with honorifica and master crafted force weapon.  I tried to just bring it down to basic for this list.

I'd use the Commissar as your officer. Call him a Colonel-Commissar or whathaveyou and job's a good 'un. That's so nice about them changing lieutenants, captains and colonels into the generic junior, senior and heroic senior officers.

Anti-tank squad.  I could put the lascannons in the infantry squads, and move the missile launchers here.  I can also run 3x heavy bolters, which if I find the list is light I would probably add.

I think dispersing the lascannons would be preferrable if you three is all you have.

Stormtroopers.  Good call on the veteran/gear.  Saves a few points.  Another option is to use infiltrate and use 2xplasmagun, and I can use a full squad if I have points.  thoughts?

That can work too, but do consider using vets for this instead. You still don't need doctrines but you gain a third plasma gun and more models for the points.

I only own 5 plasma gunners, would they be better as I have them, or put one in each infantry squad (plus one in the armored fist squad) and put two in this squad along with a 4th lascannon and crew?  I don't want to dilute the effect of 4 rapid firing plasma guns, though.  The lascannon is nice, however.  hmm.

Like the lascannons, I'd disperse them. The ones you have are too valuable to all put into one basket. The command squad could get a single missile launcher or autocannon to give it a useful part to play.

My other options would be sentinels (I have two with autocannons) the aforementioned 3 heavy bolter teams, and I have enough left over to run a 6 man remnant squad with either a flamer or meltagun, or a special weapons team with 3 x meltaguns.

I need about 2 more plasma gun troops to really make it work, apparently.

Thanks for the review, and I hope you have time to get through all of this as well!

You're welcome. Ideally I'd use whatever points you have on a second infantry platoon with as many heavy and special weapons as possible. Your current three 10-man squads could use some help. If that's not an option, I suppose you're stuck getting Sentinels and a heavy bolter squad.