News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Go Big or Go Home Competition  (Read 25259 times)

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
Re: Go Big or Go Home Competition - Final Entry
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2011, 11:21:52 PM »
FINAL ENTRY:
..squeakin' in under the deadline.

Nice build on that pulsa rokkit, Respekt.  Total fatty.  I might rethink my plans.

Anyway... Here's a few of my completed blasta bommer:

Listen to the sweet song of those air raid sirens - dakka dakka!

Ok, long month and today was a long one in itself.  Off to sleep.  Nite.
Athaga Mor
40k - Deathguard CSM, Deathskullz Orks, Daemons, IG Traitors

Current project: painting my new chaos warhound titan

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Re: Go Big or Go Home Competition
« Reply #121 on: November 1, 2011, 12:04:21 AM »
 “Final Entry”
Lightweight Category
Big Mek Krunkslag (counts as Big Mek Buzzgob from IA 8 )

Modular adaptation to a KFF PowerKlaw Mek

Size Comparison (with no gear equipped)

Entry 2 Heavy Hitters Category
Grot Mega Tank (Forgeworld had a free rule PDF which has been taken down, presumably its in the new book that just got released.  Each turret has 360 degree turning except for the sides which only have around 250 degrees.  Boom Canisters are also removable as is each turret for gameplay purposes)

What a competition!  I sure don't envy the judges.  In the end though regardless of the outcome I'm glad that I've put out my best work so far (although maybe I should take a painting class, I've always been better with building.)  We've all done some amazing, no phenomenal work this past month, and its been my pleasure watching everyone's builds come together over the past month. 

Peace
~OD

Post Script:
od you are the freaking da vinci of plasticard
You have no idea how much that made my day, thank you Respekt.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2011, 12:21:49 AM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #122 on: November 1, 2011, 05:18:21 AM »
Athaga & OD - I tip my hat to both of you, scratchbuilding is something I can't get the hang of and you have both pulled off great builds and great looking finished models.

Kudos to everyone, well except the weedy gitz who didn't bother  ;)
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline MekEad

• Burna Boy
  • Gork and Mork FTW
« Reply #123 on: November 1, 2011, 09:03:20 AM »
I like the base, what is it made from? My Meka-Dread doesn't have a base & keeps falling over  :(

Hey CheesyRobMan!

I made the Meka Dread base out of balsa wood and cork board, but the wood might be called something else, I just have a lot of it at home.  The cork board is from a roll I got at a stationary store.  What actually ended up happening was stuffing pieces of cork under the Meka Dread's left foot to give it some stability and make it look more dynamic then a regular pose.  To be honest the Meka Dread looks a little hunched forward went standing flat-footed.  I cannibalized a Valkyrie base of my oft-shelved IG army, and then found out that GW charges a goodly amount for those bases via retail.  I may end up creating my own base for flyers when I get around to it in the future.

Everyone: great results!  It's such a good time to be green.  I envy the plasticard maestro's.  Lack of time and imagination limit my skills with it.  But maybe I'll get around to something in the future.  I loved the conversions tho, and it'll help others with their unfinished projects.

MekEad
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended for us to forego their use."
Galileo Galilei

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #124 on: November 1, 2011, 09:14:26 AM »
@OD - nice job on your tank, bud.  i think what i like best about it is the locamotive design.  the las-turret is sweet too.

@Cheesy - it's just practice and a willingness to fail (the later being difficult when glue scrapmetal vehicles together).

@Mek - thanks. how was putting that dread together... always wonder about those FW models.  nicely painted and great job on the base.

@AoD - backtracking through entries, nice stompa!  I like the way you painted the rokkits and supa-gatla.
Athaga Mor

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #125 on: November 1, 2011, 09:26:29 AM »
@Athaga, that is one sweet blasta bomma, Good Stuff. With your squadron of fighta bommas you have yourself a full size airwing  8) I think I am going to have to build an airwing myself, nothing is faster than planes, and I love to go faster.  ;D

@AOD, that is a great looking tank, I will be copying your design in the near future, after all what is better than a tank? Bigger tanks...  ;)

This has been a fun competition, and I am looking forward to the results, I don't envy the judges as they have a hard task in front of them. If it was me, there would be a seven way tie for first place.... ::)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #126 on: November 1, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »
haha yeah.. its right around 2000 pts.

fo' sure! i'm all for more orks in the sky
Athaga Mor

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #127 on: November 1, 2011, 12:22:31 PM »
Athaga & OD - I tip my hat to both of you, scratchbuilding is something I can't get the hang of and you have both pulled off great builds and great looking finished models.
I think you're selling yourself too short CheesyRobMan.  Anyone can scratchbuild, just like Athaga said you need to have motivation and allow yourself the room to fail.  For every great looking conversion I have, there's at least 3 bad ones from my early scratchbuilding days.  But at the time those early scratchbuilds were really important.  Each one was a learning experience, in fact each scratchbuild today is STILL a learning experience.  One can never jump to the end when it comes to a creative skill, it takes time and effort, and trust me there's also a lot of mistakes.

MekEad I hear you on the bases, and its unfortunate that GW isn't including the new flyer base in the bag-o-bases.  But they have to price gouge here and there or else we'd all have 4000+ point armies for a reasonable price.

And Athaga, you always bring something to the table that makes me realize that I can always do better.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #128 on: November 1, 2011, 08:41:32 PM »
For every great looking conversion I have, there's at least 3 bad ones from my early scratchbuilding days.  But at the time those early scratchbuilds were really important.  Each one was a learning experience, in fact each scratchbuild today is STILL a learning experience.  One can never jump to the end when it comes to a creative skill, it takes time and effort, and trust me there's also a lot of mistakes.

so true.... so true... even outside 40k.

And Athaga, you always bring something to the table that makes me realize that I can always do better.

thx bud. i might have my head in clouds on conversion work, but your tanks are leaving me in the dust. going to have to ground myself on upcoming projects.
Athaga Mor

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #129 on: November 1, 2011, 11:17:20 PM »
With all these kick butt new Heavy Hitters I expect maybe we will be seeing a few apocalypse matches in the future.   I know they are doing a campaign at my LGS in which I will actually get to participate (atleast the opening day).   

Now that we got our warmachines it is time to take over the galaxy.   

I will say there was a lot of really impressive projects and notice the amount of views our competition got!!!   I definately think we gained an audience along the way.   Thanks for making it such a great success everyone.

Offline MekEad

• Burna Boy
  • Gork and Mork FTW
« Reply #130 on: November 2, 2011, 07:33:26 AM »
@Mek - thanks. how was putting that dread together... always wonder about those FW models.  nicely painted and great job on the base.

Putting together the Meka Dread was actually fairly easy.  The instructions weren't bad and the bitz go together fairly well.  I washed the model before assembly and have had no problem with paint flaking off.  The most time-consuming part was magnetizing it.  I can't stress enough the utility of magnets, esp on FW stuff like Meka/Mega Dreadz.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended for us to forego their use."
Galileo Galilei

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #131 on: November 2, 2011, 04:53:24 PM »
Although I didn't participate in this one (I just didn't think I'd have the time this month!),  I have been watch and these entries are really top notch.  I'm excited to see we have such talented and awesome modelers here! 

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Go Big or Go Home Competition Results!
« Reply #132 on: November 7, 2011, 02:37:58 PM »
Oi yooz weedy gitz.  Wez gotz da re... resul... we got da winner picked for dis kontest

(sorry, that's my best ork talk...  I'll resort back to english now)

I have the scores in from all of the judges for every entry.  A lot of the submissions were close but in each category there was a clear winner.

First up is the Heavy Hitters.  There were some phenomenal submissions in this category, but there had to be one winner.

With his submission that scored higher than anything else in either category, Respekt's Pulsa Rocket came out as the clear winner in this category.  Congratulations!

Second place goes to angel of death 007's Stompa.

Third place goes to Athaga Mor's Blasta Bommer

For people wondering how the rest fell in the rankings, here they are:
CheesyRobMans Dakka Wagon
Skeetergod's Big Track
OD from TV's Grot Mega Tank
MekEad's Meka Dread

Now let us look towards the small un'z (or light weight... what ever you want to call them).

The winner in this category won quite decisively.  This goes to Baron Wasteland's Mek.  Congratulations!

Second place was actually a tie between The Nightwalkers Warboss and Skeetergods Mek.

Log's Warboss, although missing being tied for second by half a point, claims the third place in this.

Last but certainly not least, OD from TV's Mek.

Thanks to everyone for submitting your works, it was a true pleasure to count myself amongst the judges and it is wonderful to see what you foul xenos do in your spare time!

Keep up the good work boyz!  Well, keep it up until the Imperium comes to wipe your foul race from the galaxy that is ;)

Remember, above all!  The Emperor protects :P
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #133 on: November 7, 2011, 03:36:02 PM »
Wow, That was the order I expected. ??? But congratulations everyone! ;D. I can't wait for the next set on contests, this was fun.

Also, I got second. Wasn't expecting that :o

Finally. Listen ere you weedy gitz, I aint one of ya. Im bigga and greena!

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #134 on: November 7, 2011, 04:49:08 PM »
A big thank you to all our celebrity judges we definately didn't make their job easy.  Congrats to all those orks that participated and who won.   And to the rest of you weedy gitz hope we can get you to join in the activities next time.

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #135 on: November 7, 2011, 06:58:34 PM »
Flattered and thrilled, thanks :)

Definately inspired by all the other entries too though, and fun to be a part of the competition. Will certainly contribute to future comps, and this should give me the impetus to get some more paint on my army!

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #136 on: November 8, 2011, 02:54:58 AM »
Hmm... oddly enough, my second place votes came in first, and my firsts in second.

I suspect its because my personal preference is painting skills over conversion, while other the other judges weighed in the other way.

That said, all winners are well deserved.  Congratulations!

Inquisitor Arbitralis Rumanihui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #137 on: November 8, 2011, 04:20:33 AM »
Congratulations to Respekt and Baron Wastelands - well deserved wins  :)
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline Respekt

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Orks and maybe a fotm ;)
« Reply #138 on: November 8, 2011, 05:36:07 AM »
Wow, definitely didn't expect a win. Thanks very much for the honor. Grats to everyone for not beein weedy.

All in all, great learning experience and there a quite a few stylistic choices I've seen from others that I will be trying for sure.

For example

Angel of death - I love those primer/rusty panels on your stompa, I will have to try that.

Agatha -  just wow you got my vote in the user polls

OD - like I said, da vinci of plasticard. I love your armor plates I am totally going to have to try (and likely fail) to produce something similar

Everyone of the entries is inspirational, I'm fiending for a new project :)
Cheers,

Respekt

Offline Log

• Burna Boy
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #139 on: November 8, 2011, 01:23:34 PM »
Well done those winners, very well deserved!

Can't wait for the next comp!