News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: tactics vs the Salamanders...2000pt battle!!!  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Irastill'Nanar

• We strike at night! Irastill`Nanar
tactics vs the Salamanders...2000pt battle!!!
« on: January 22, 2002, 08:01:18 PM »
i am playing a guy who has sallie's and want to know what is the best  way to survive and beat him.

i got farseer
asurmen
scorpions
serpent
dragons
hawks
spiders
avengers
guardians :-[
reapers
wraithlord

this is a biel-tan army so please tell me how to win...(and dont say "drop this and get this"  the match is too close to do that, these mini's all i own)
"Never stop asking questions, my dear apprentice.  For at one time our race stopped asking questions and it brought about our fall...keep your mind open and clear"
-Farseer Marauth

"War is my master; Death is my mistress"
-Phoenix Lord Maugan Ra

"When the sun sets behind the ridge, and the stars show themselves to those that dwell on the planet's surface, we shall obliterate them."
-Farseer Faranir

"Money = Life, No money = Death...Fact of life!&a

Offline Jiaurtel

• As Ynnead rises Death shall reign supreme!
Re:tactics vs the Salamanders...2000pt battle!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2002, 10:03:00 PM »
I dont have the Salamander codex and I am not that well versed in chapters outside Ultra and Dark Angels so could you tell me what is your biggest issue with the salamanders? I mean special rule wise?

You are an experienced player right? Played a battle or two against SM right?
So you know the basics for Biel-Tan. Bleed tough units at long range. Take down their long range stuff with suicide units if you have too. Dragons and Banshees do that perfectly. Scorps on Stealth with Haywire do the trick versus Vehicles.
Avengers and Guardians can have two roles for Biel-Tan:
1. Hold Back and protect long range stuff like wait you dont have anything except Reapers. Leave the guardians behind to screen them. Dire Avengers should wallk with the WL giving him short ranger cover. The Avenger Exarch will be your best buddy to take down that Assault squad with the powerfists headed for your WL. WLord should have a Starcannon or a Missile Launcher.
Asurman should go with the Avengers to take the tough shots like krak missiles and lascannons Battle Fate right ;). Farseer hmm if you got lots of reapers have them Guided or go with the Banshee fortuning to make them last longer.

Offline Elshamir

• You think us weak, but we will by your doom
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2002, 10:48:15 PM »
salamanders have 1 less iniative, never make all on your own tests, can have extra flamers in tac squads and can take only 1 bike squad and 1 assault squad i think that is it (and can have wargear that stops instant death)

Offline dark_wind

• It's all fun and games until someone loses an arm
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2002, 10:59:04 PM »
definitely use the wraithlord, reapers, and asurmen, dragons and your serpent ( i don't know how many models u have so put what ever in the serpent..especially the dragons if you have ten of them) also use your farseer to guide your guardians
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!
                      http://project86.com/

Offline madwolf

• Ancient
  • &ltgrowl>
    • madwolf.net
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2002, 03:45:58 AM »
i play salamanders myself so i can be of assistance..

first of all the rules for sallies are a bit more complex than just that..

vehicles have a special upgrade called Ceramite Armour, which ignores the +D6 on Armour Pen. Melta weapons get (this means Fusion guns and Meltabombs too).

They get Terminators for 5 points cheaper. When I play my Salamanders I bring a large unit of Termis all with Thunder Hammers... at iniaitive 3, its best to strike last and make sure you get the kill :) To counter this attack with Howling Banshees (or just shoot them with Star Cannons).

If your opponent is smart, he'll have a Land Raider. Simply counter this with Bright Lance shots (en bulk).

Tactical squads can bring Multimeltas. A good Salamander player will bring one with each tact. squad and set up mini-fire bases in key positions. Multimeltas are great weapons against armour (and wraithlords!) so be on your guard.

If you're playing a mission (which you should be), the Salamander player may choose to fight an extra turn! Be aware of this, it has won games for me on several occasions, where I needed another turn to get my last attacks and positioning in.

Forget the whole -1 Initiative thing, it will never come into play (especially against I 4 and 5 Eldar). If the Salamander player is trying to engage you in close combat (and is smart), then he'll have Thunder Hammers anyhow.

"can take only 1 bike squad" that's not true at all... the rule says that they can only have 1 type of Land Speeder, there's nothing about bikes. Nothing about Assault Squads either but if your opponent brings assault squads in a sallie army, then he is probably a very dim witted opponent!

Wraithlords will not help in that battle! A smart sallie player has a ton of Thunder Hammers.. I myself use a 8 man Terminator squad.. they easily take down Wraithlords! Your Wraithlord needs 4's to hit and 2's to wound but the Terminators get a 4+ Invulnerable save from Storm Shields. When they attack back, they need 4's to hit and 4's to wound with no armour save.. even a single wound means you have to strike last next turn (Thunder Hammer rules).

The Salamander Mantle makes it so characters cannot be victim of "Instant Death" from double toughness weapons. You shoot a Chaplain with a Mantle with a Bright Lance and at most he takes a wound. (Barring that 4+ Invulnerable save!)

My advice as a Salamander player (and of course Eldar), is to try and outshoot him from a distance with Reapers.

Hawks, Spiders, Avengers and Scorpions will be all but useless. Dragons will be too close for comfort.

STAY BACK AND SHOOT. His effective range is 24" if he plays smart. If he's really smart there will be a bunch of Razorbacks with Lascannons (which are the primary target from a distance).
"The world needs anger. The world often continues to allow evil because it isn't angry enough."
- Bede Jarrett

Offline Irastill'Nanar

• We strike at night! Irastill`Nanar
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2002, 05:44:59 PM »
thanx a MILLION!!!  i gonna copy and paste and print so i can use these during the game!

thanx again m8!
"Never stop asking questions, my dear apprentice.  For at one time our race stopped asking questions and it brought about our fall...keep your mind open and clear"
-Farseer Marauth

"War is my master; Death is my mistress"
-Phoenix Lord Maugan Ra

"When the sun sets behind the ridge, and the stars show themselves to those that dwell on the planet's surface, we shall obliterate them."
-Farseer Faranir

"Money = Life, No money = Death...Fact of life!&a

Offline madwolf

• Ancient
  • &ltgrowl>
    • madwolf.net
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2002, 06:53:00 PM »
my pleasure.. good luck
"The world needs anger. The world often continues to allow evil because it isn't angry enough."
- Bede Jarrett