News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1,000pnt no orb list!!  (Read 912 times)

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: The Ripper Horde, Kroot anything, rarely Necrons
1,000pnt no orb list!!
« on: July 9, 2010, 04:28:12 AM »
hi all!

I've been dealing with my other armies. and i realized something. I missed the simplicity of Necrons, the limited wargear and selections is something that makes the army speciall.

anyways, on to the list!!   I've always loved using a bug zapper lord and decided to try out the following list:

HQ: 350
2x lord w/ d body, lightening field, chrometron, warscythe

Troops: 360
2x 10 warriors

Fast Attack: 288
2x 9 scarabs w/ d fields

total: 998pnts
phase out: 5

current opponents are:

player 1: nids, mostly stealershick, but moving more towards gaunts
player 2: tau, crisis heavy, or fire warrior spam, also loves the forgeworld stuff
player 3: Marines, was using vanilla, then space wolves, now blood angels, basically the newest and brightest, also a vetren heavy guard force

aside from the tau vehicles, they are rearly any in the games we play.

around here 1000 points is pretty standard, 1500 is a big game, and most of us can't hit 2000+ aside from the marine player, the nid guy can, but it's tricky. we tend to proxie alot, which we're trying to stop, i've stoped proxying, as i found it was making the games confusing.

we tend to play alot of multiplayer games, mostly 3 player free for all type games, sometimes up to 6 players. we also do crazy things like using the apoc rules at 500/1000pnts.

the new kill team has been pretty big around here latley, as we tend to have small armies, and it lets us play with things we normally wouldn't.

we're trying to move back to 1 on 1 games as the standard, but i can honestly say, outside of the 1 local tourney, i've played mabey 10-20 one on one games in the 3 yrs i've been playing. we all get together every weekend, and play, the 3 of them share a house, so we do play alot. 

Offline headfirst

• Still just me.
Re: 1,000pnt no orb list!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 06:11:18 AM »
How much terrain do you generally use? The army you have proposed would absolutely destroy anything if you can hide in good cover.

It's a very focussed, symetrical army. would you run it as two flanks, or one group straight up the middle?

Anyway, pretty cool idea, would like to know how it turns out.
Headfirst

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:22:05 PM »
I would prefer a unit of Immortals rather than a second Lord.  They can rock the house at smaller point levels, pivoting a great deal of firepower across the board (they're great in larger point games, too, but can dominate in smaller games where there aren't 20 Plasma Cannons pointed at them).

And, hell, if you're going to take bugzapper Lords make them more zappy.  The Staff of Light is cheaper and can drop a few models before a charge, and a few casualties can turn the game at this level.  The Warscythe can cut through that one model on the board that has a hellacious invulnerable- something that isn't as likely at 1,000 points.  I don't see any Assault Terminators in any of the lists, instead lots of Firewarriors and Veterans and Space Marines that the SoL can pepper.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #3 on: August 4, 2010, 10:27:46 AM »
I think that if you want Scarabs and Bug-Zapper Lord then one unit like this would be better.

Use the points from the second Lord to have a unit of Immortals, or even a dedicated CC Lord, etc.
Then split the second Scarab Swam into 2 groups so that you gain a shock absorber an allow your Warriors to do more shooting.

I like the fact that your not taking aconventional route with your Necrons, but I think its a little too repetitious.

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: The Ripper Horde, Kroot anything, rarely Necrons
« Reply #4 on: August 4, 2010, 03:07:17 PM »
thanks for the replies everyone!

OK, time for responses:

@headfirst: We generally use 25-40% terrain, mostly los blocking things, some ruins, we mix the building and ruin rules so that you can still shoot and the ruins and such, we don;t use much soft cover at all, or non ruin area terrain.

yes, it is a very symmetrical list. I'm a very logical and ordered person, so necrons and their style fit me perfect, i do have the annoying habit of keeping all my warrior squads in nice 5 by x blocks depending on size. my scarabs are always in 5x2 lines, unless theres a lord with then then is more like a pixilated circle.

the plan would be to run the first scarab unit up front, turbo boosted and stretched into a wide curved line with the lord in the center. the second unit of scarabs in the middle after boosting up with a similar set up, but tighter to more obscure the center, marching the now covered warriors forward, in a staggered formation.

@ Peanut & moc065: I only have 5 converted immortals, and I've started only using what i have instead of proxying. the scythes are great for the walkers, dreads, and daemons I'm seeing at 1,000pnts here, also the back field armour gets popped by either the scything lord or the d-feid scarabs.

@moc065: thanks for the comment! I love my scarabs, and the bug zapper has always performed well here, so i thought, why not try 2?