News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Help With Dark Eldar Names  (Read 1089 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
Help With Dark Eldar Names
« on: January 15, 2005, 12:58:57 PM »
well im starting a wych cult and have a pitiful amount of fluff (for now) for them however unlike when i was collecting SMurfs i can't think of a single decent name

(would it help if i posted said pitiful amount of fluff?)

i was thinking of looking at some of the eldar names and giving them a nasty twist, or names from animes with an eldarish twist (im a bit of an anime nut hence the anime name, banner and avatar)

all in all are there any sites or names you can reccomend?

i know of Rasmus' eldar words website which i have open now and am browsing through for some inspiration

any/all help is very much apreciated and thanks to all that reply ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 02:52:27 PM by Makenshi, The White Cloud »
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Crimson Slace

• Bad Pikachu!!!
    • Crimson Tears,  True Wisconsin Black Metal
Re: Help With Dark Eldar Names
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 10:16:33 PM »
Personally, I can't stand anyone who copies names from something else.  Course i'm a profectionist at originality, (although I did cover a couple of nintendo songs cause I got bored one day).  I suppose some anime names could work if you picked carefully.  I only watch/collect the slightly perverted stuff like Love Hina (got everything for that), I don't think "Kietaro" would make a good eldar name  ::).  I would look for names in anime that are a bit more serious (like Neon Genisis),  use the original japanesse names of course.
Pikachu Vs. Warhammer

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 10:48:16 PM »
I'm of the opinion that Japanese names are corny if used unaltered for Dark Eldar, as they are all too obviously Japanese, thus all too human. Archon Kojiro Kikadate might as well be Archon Cesar Dominguez, or Archon Yuri Umarov, or Archon Joseph Smith...  If the Japanese is 'Dark Eldarised' (as you said you'd do anyway), Archon K'jirogh or some such, that's a whole lot better.

Still, I think 'Elven' names are a better start point. Do a Google search for Elven names, particularly Tolkien ones, choose one you like then twist it up good so it sounds like a Dark Eldar name.

Offline Split Crescent

• Kumnescia seeks pain. You shall supply it.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 03:04:30 AM »
Another system I like to use, which is enough for me that it doesn't feel like copying, is making anagrams of names. (That's where you change something like Richard into Dri'hrac). Take some of your favorite real names and just flip them around. For example, I used Drizzt Do'Urden and made Drentozudirz, which just plain sounds kooll! At least, I think it does.
The eyes of the Split Crescent are everywhere...

Dark Eldar-W/L/D
Total    10/6/4
Eldar     1/0/0
'Nid      1/0/0
Necron  2/2/1
Tau      2/0/0
SM        3/2/1
Chaos    0/0/1
G.Nights1/1/0
Alliances1/1/1

High Elves-W/L/D
Total       5/4/0
Chaos      2/2/0
V. Counts 0/0/0
T. Kings   1/0/0
Dark Elves 0/1/0
Dwarves   1/0/0
Lizardmen 1/0/0
OKingdoms0/1/0

Don't think it's beneath me to have "forgotten" a loss or two. (Actually, I really did forget.)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 07:45:08 AM »
how are these:

Fir'Fera (Dark Champion)

Kor'La (Black Night)

Kor'Mai (Black Slayer/Death)

Na'Mai (Ancient Slayer/Death)

Maideth (Slayer/Death Eternal)

and those are the ones ive thoguht of for the moment, what do yuo think? could they work?
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• The Twisted Haemonculus
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Serious as a hemophiliac in a razor blade factory.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 06:02:48 PM »
Seems a bit repetitive if you ask me, all the 'Mai' s and 'Kor' s are a bit obvious.
People ask how come I play such a twisted army. I reply that I have the heart of a young boy; in a jar right next to his brain.

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 12:48:10 PM »
Seems a bit repetitive if you ask me, all the 'Mai' s and 'Kor' s are a bit obvious.

well i only need one, these are the ideas for my archite, i'll have different name themes for the other DE i want to name, for now this im just looking for one tho

Offline Crimson Slace

• Bad Pikachu!!!
    • Crimson Tears,  True Wisconsin Black Metal
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 06:25:19 PM »
You should name him Hideki Tojo  ::)
Pikachu Vs. Warhammer

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 07:12:05 AM »
You should name him Hideki Tojo  ::)

...its a her, i guess i should have specified

Offline TagniK'ZuR

• You have the right to act your shoe size
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 06:02:24 PM »
Then name her Hideki Toji  ;D
Birthdays are good for you, the more you have the longer you live.

If you ignore your health long enough, it will go away.

Offline Sybarite24

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 12:22:01 AM »
I personally like Na'Mai the most, and Maideth the least. (sounds like a black metal band lol)   :D

Also, those names sound more like titles.  Which is cool if that's what you are looking for, but they don't seem like "names".

It does make sense that your Archites loyal subjects would call her an honorable title, so that's cool.  Perhaps if you wanted to get a little long winded, you could give her the "title" name, followed by her real name.

I've got all my characters named in my army, when i have time i'll post a few of them.

Don't pick any names that anyone would recognize if you were thinking about following the Anime advice.

8)
Sybarite of Blood Company from the Kabal of the Coveters of Torment.

Fighting the Left, doing it Right!

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 02:54:31 AM »
Well I tend to do that with any character I create, for example a Dark Elf (I've converted to Fantasy at the moment) Character I made is called Kethamarrelym, The Wind Strider Of The Heavens And Fallen Angel Of Naggaroth.

Thanks for the help but I'm not re-starting my Dark Eldar any more, I've decided to give Fantasy a go.

~MTWC