News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Sword of Heidar 2: Eldar Vs Chaos 2000pts  (Read 3304 times)

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
The Sword of Heidar 2: Eldar Vs Chaos 2000pts
« on: July 1, 2009, 12:12:45 PM »
(If you have not read Sword of Heidar 1, go do that before continuing here)

"Seer Eluraisal, we have one alive, he still insults us with every breath that his broken body still breaths but he may prove useful." 
“Take me to him” Eluraisal spoke softly, reflecting on the ambush they weathered and then swiftly destroyed just moment before.  The battlefield was quiet now, death bringing the ultimate silence, an eerie void of sound, of sentience.  Eluraisal’s cloak fluutered in the wind as he strode lightly across the dust.  The broken body of an aspiring champion of chaos lay amongst his dead brethren, their wrecked bodies littering the dirt, their blood congealing in the dust and ash.  The champion lifted his head from the dirt to see Eluraisal’s ethereal silhouette standing over him, his helmetless face showed pain and grimace but he laughed a twisted gravelly laugh, before hawking back his blood filled spittle and spitting on Eluraisals robes.  A wraithguard standing guard nearby slammed a kick to the champion’s stomach, he curled up roiling in pain and gasping for breath. The Wraithguard rolled him onto his back with his foot and pinned the champion’s shoulder against the ground forcing the him to stare up into the fiery eyes of Eluraisal.

“Why are you here? What possible use could there be for your existence here on a planet of no interest?” Eluraisal asked mockingly, staring intently into the champions eyes.
"I shall tell you nothing," snarled the Champion, his shame slowly replaced by fury, his eyes glowing with inner fire, his mouth moving uncontrollably, whispering continuously “fe'bh'tab'dfgt'a'arsuhyvd'sy”… the Seer noted with disgust that the Champion was whispering an invocation of the Dark Gods, inviting Daemons to possess his flesh"
the champion snarled his face contorted with pain and rage, shards of bone beginning to tear through his flesh “but you shall fear me Witch for I have been chosen, I am your darkest nightmare alien and you shall fear me before the end!” His tongue lashed wildly out of his mouth and with his fingernails which were growing instantly into claw like talons he pierced his toungue and ripped down the length of it, bloodied his tongue flickered in the air, now forked like a snake.  “I SHALL TELL YOU NOTHING!” he roared through vampiric teeth his eyes turned to white.
“You need not tell me anything mon-keigh, for you have told me all I need to hear” the champions eyes suddenly focused, glaring at Eluraisal he stopped for a second before wrenching the wraithguards leg from his shoulder and lunging at the seer his clawed hands grabbing for Eluraisal his mouth torn in a beastial shout.
Eluraisals shuriken pistol was already drawn, a burst of shuriken fired just as quickly, hiiting the champion squarely between the eyes, slicing through bone and brain.  The champion fell dead instantly, slamming into the dust his eyes rolled back into his head, his blood quenching the parched dirt, his body no longer wracked with demonic convulsions, complete stillness.
“Foolish mon-keigh, It is you who shall fear me!”
« Last Edit: July 7, 2009, 05:57:05 PM by Valar »

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
Re: The Sword of Heidar 2: Eldar Vs Chaos 2000pts
« Reply #1 on: July 1, 2009, 02:46:49 PM »
"Are you sure this is a wise idea?"

Harawicz looked at his comrade and sighed. "We have to recover that spotter. It was over the mountains when we noticed it. It might have something in the transmission logs, or the navigation console. Maybe the pilot's alive. Torture will loosen his lips."

"I didn't mean that. I meant that this is where ... he ... died."

Harawicz shook his head. "I know not your markings, but I was once a Hawk Lord. We knew no fear. We struck like lightning, and chose our fights well. Whatever madness claimed Commander Notsanyk and drove him into a fight he could not win, we will not falter. If we die, we shall drag our enemies into the abyss and pave the way into hell with their bones."

The other Raptor shrugged and turned away, and Harawicz suddenly noticed that he could barely recognise any of his squad's insignia. Their leader had admittedly defaced his own markings, divorcing himself from his origins with a sort of vindication, but by and large, the heraldry of the other squad members was still barely visible through the scars and the red crosses painted through the famous emblems.

Paying it no heed, Harawicz cradled his flamer, running pre-battle checks on it for the tenth time since his transport had departed from the Overfiend's base of operations at the Drognórr Plateau. They were approaching a high enough altitude to evade detection from ground level, but as they were sandwiched between two layers of clouds, the transport craft still had the benefit of cloud cover to partially screen them from above.

Harawicz reminded himself that if there were enemy vessels in orbit, there was a Murder-class cruiser in orbit, belonging to the Overfiend, which could easily chase away any other potential claimants to the Sword.

Unless they were there first!

"Harawicz!"

Harawicz looked up at his squad leader, half of his face replaced with augmetics, a bionic eye set into his reconstructed skull.

"When you've woken up, get in line," the Raptor champion berated him. "We're nearly over the drop zone. We shall have new heads for our collection before the day is out."

"The Four willing," Harawicz grunted as he straightened up and checked that his jump pack was secure.

"The Four willing," agreed the squad leader.

Harawicz strode past five rows of three Raptors and filtered into line at the back, filling the eighteenth position and clamping himself into the drop launcher. Came the drop, he would be fired out of the passenger bay and would have to rely on his jump pack to turn his fall into a dive, correcting his trajectory at the last moment to avoid a grisly end smeared across Phaesti's surface.

He'd done such drops a hundred times and more, and they held no fear for him, but he could smell the stench of fear from the other two Raptors in his row, and wrinkled his nose beneath his helmet, dismissing their inexperience in an instant.

They would either kill, or they would die.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #2 on: July 1, 2009, 03:09:21 PM »
The Armies:

The Iyanden Task force:

Farseer Eluraisal, runes of witnessing, spirit stones, Fortune and Doom
Prince Yriel (aka Autarch Marroze)
10 Howling Banshees, inc Exarch- executioner
1 waveserpent with missile launcher and shuri cannon
9 Fire Dragons, including Exarch, Fire Pike Crack Shot
1 waveserpent with missile launcher and shuri cannon
10 Wraithguard
Spirit Seer Avathar, Conceal
10 Dire Avengers
5 Rangers
wraithlord, 2 flamers, shuri cannon and missile launcher
wraithlord, 2 flamers, Bright Lance, Missile Launcher
Fire Prism, Holofield spirit stones

1994points

The forces of Chaos:

1 Chaos Lord, Demonic Weapon
1 summoned Greater Demon
3 Obliterators
3 Obliterators
10 Chaos Marines, x2 Melta guns, Rhino, Havok Launcher and storm bolter, Icon
10 Chaos Marines, x 2 Plasma guns, Icon
10 Chaos Marines, x 2 Plasma Guns, Icon
12 Raptors, x2 Flamers, Lightning claws, melta bomb, Icon
8 Havoks, 4 Heavy Bolters, Icon

The mission was objectives, there were 5 objectives on the table represented by a crashed Aquila lander and an air vent.  Deployment was Dawn of War and Chaos have the first turn:
« Last Edit: July 1, 2009, 03:26:15 PM by Valar »

Offline blinky jungle(REM)

• Parachuting oranges to soldiers? Whats Next?
« Reply #3 on: July 1, 2009, 03:49:19 PM »
Love battle report No1. Can't wait for this one.
House M.D is amazing(Watch it)
REM is amazing(Listen to it)
Subliminal messaging is amazing(Read it)

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: July 1, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »
CHAOS TURN 1

"Harawicz, come in."

"Szymaczek, my brother, it is good to hear your voice," Harawicz grinned. "For a moment I thought our communications were being jammed."

"Save it," the former Hawk Lord answered, his voice barely audible over the Rhino's engines. "We found the spotter alright but Sparre and de Geer think they've seen something in the rocks. And Vratusa can smell it."

"They decided to let out Vratusa?" Harawicz asked, apprehensive, wishing he'd misheard his friend, wishing it had been some interference playing tricks on his helm-vox.

"Between you and me, the Overfiend should have left Vratusa in his coffin," Szymaczek sighed. "He's actually keeping pace with us. I'm impressed."

"What about de Geer?" Harawicz asked. De Geer was one of the Overfiend's chief patrol leaders. A former Raven Guard, de Geer's tracking ability was unrivalled among the battlegroup, and all it took was one word from him for fifty Space Marines to exercise caution.

"De Geer found an old pillbox and Staugaitis jumped for joy. You should have heard him over the vox," Szymaczek laughed. Though his vox chatter was inaudible to his squad mates, Szymaczek found himself drawing a few uneasy looks as he started shaking with laughter. The closest Space Marines drew away, thinking Szymaczek was undergoing possession, but the Hawk Lord calmed down and sat still again.

"Trust an Iron Warrior to home in on the bunkers," Harawicz sighed. "So the spotter landed in an old warzone?"

"Well, given how dark it is out there I don't know what it is. The driver doesn't want to turn the searchlight on at all, he's worried there might be contacts out there."

"Idiot."

"Why the Overfiend keeps him I've no idea," Szymaczek remarked. "I should --"

"Attention!" blared a voice over the tannoy and Harawicz had to cut the vox channel abruptly. Szymaczek would understand. "We're over the drop zone. Drop commencing in ten seconds. Praise the Four!"

"Praise the Four!" chorused the Raptors.

The bay door hissed open and a few of the Raptors found themselves somewhere between gasping and laughing. Harawicz ignored them. They preferred the rush and the thrill of the air racing past their faces. Harawicz did not.

"Praise the Four!" the voice bellowed again, and the first drop launcher raced out of the bay, hurtling back towards the tail of the craft as it catapulted three Raptors into the atmosphere. Scarcely two seconds later, the second launcher followed the first, which had folded itself out of the way just in time. The third followed; then the fourth; then the fifth.

The last row flew out and Harawicz fell, the drop launcher releasing him and his two comrades, and for a brief moment Harawicz realised just how far up into Phaesti's atmosphere he was, and how far he had to fall.

Inside his helmet, safe from stray vox-chatter, Harawicz laughed as he fell through the clouds.

(RL Note: Yes, I have written in six extra Raptors that aren't in the army list. you'll see what happens to those.)
« Last Edit: July 7, 2009, 11:43:43 AM by Koval »

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #5 on: July 6, 2009, 08:57:16 AM »

This time they were ready, the Eldar force led from the front by Eluraisal waiting for the chaos forces.  The Wraithguard had taken up position, hidden behind the ruins of an ancient temple, the smoking ruins of an aircraft just metres from them hiding them further behind acrid black smoke.  Eluraisal and Spirit Seer Ayathar accompanied their lifeless construct companions, crouched amongst the ruins silently.  Accross the battle field 5 rangers had snuck un-noticed and taken position on top of a giant bute, hidden from sight, watching over the entire battlefield never taking their eyes away from their scopes.

The Chaos forces had arrived and it was time to spring the trap.  From seemingly nowhere two wraithlords ran onto the field taking position behind their smaller wraith brethren whilst a Fire Prism sped around the right flank, skimming mere inches from the floor aside the walls of the bute.  The darkness hid all from sight, all apart from what the keen eyes of the rangers could see down their scopes.  With a flash of light from the muzzles of their long rifles, their eyes never leaving their scope, a chaos marine fell, lost into the darkness of pre-dawn.

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
CHAOS TURN 2

The ruddy glow of sunlight glinted from Harawicz's armour as dawn finally broke, bathing the desert and the distant mountains in an ochre glow. His autosenses kicked in, tracking far-distant movement in the desert below, and he magnified the view as well as far as he could.

Half of the dots were his allies, but the others were apparently ghosts, flickering shadows that he could barely track; to make matters worse he couldn't see anything where these ghost signatures were.

Harawicz's vox crackled into life with a strangulated hiss that lasted just a fraction too long, and he scowled just as a voice filtered through.

"One down already," Szymaczek reported. "It's Morosini. Sparre's just reported sniper activity, seems one of them got a shot straight through Morosini's eye. We've got contacts by the ruins, they're the same colour as the sands around them but we can track their movement."

Harawicz's blood began to burn as he drew the connection between his friend's report and the ghostly contacts on his autosenses.

"Eldar," he hissed.

"Exactly. I think they're the same ones that took out Notsanyk."

"Fear not the alien, my brother," Harawicz responded, slipping into an old catechism for the briefest moment before regretting it instantly. It was unbecoming of him to fall back into the old ways.

If Szymaczek said anything in reply, it was drowned out by a phenomenal sonic boom and a roar of blazing air as a bolt of lightning speared straight past the falling Raptors, followed swiftly by three more falling at once to smite a low hill far below. Harawicz knew instantly before Szymaczek said anything that their commander had just taken to the field.

"Praise the Four, Durante finally got himself ready."

"I sense sarcasm in your voice," Harawicz noted.

"Relief, too, and -- oh, frak it, we've lost de Geer!"

Harawicz was about to question his friend's words when he saw a sickly blob of purple light strobe constantly on the battlefield before bursting like a bubble.

"I saw that from up here," Harawicz shouted, "what the frak's just happened?"

"Well, you know he'd been looking ill for three days?"

"Don't tell me, Durante became a daemonhost."

"Worse. For these Eldar, that is. Oh, frak me, it's hideous, I'm glad that thing's on our side and not theirs."

Harawicz peered down at the battle thousands of metres below them, zooming in on where he'd seen de Geer die, and somehow locking eyes with a monstrous daemon from the depths of the abyss. It had a hood, but no head, a single blazing eye radiating an aethyric wind that made the fabric of its hood billow as if in a gale. Spines as long as a man's thigh protruded from its back and through its crumbling cape, and in its hands it carried a sickle and a morningstar, the head easily larger than a human skull. As Harawicz watched it turned and loped off around a rock, towards an energy spike that Harawicz assumed was an Eldar weapons emplacement.

"Do you have a visual on any of those Eldar?" Harawicz asked.

"Not as such. We've found our range but I wouldn't exactly call them Eldar."

"What do you mean?"

"We're fighting their ghosts, Harawicz," Szymaczek explained sternly, with a hint of resignation in his voice. "The army that flattened Notsanyk wasn't just Eldar, but Ghost Warriors."

"Ghost Warriors? Are you serious?"

A pause as Harawicz hurtled even further towards the ground.

Four thousand, five hundred metres.

"Szymaczek, answer me!"

"We're fighting an army of the dead," the Hawk Lord answered, a note of fear in his voice.

"Then if we die we'll drag as many of them as we can back into hell with us, eh?"

"Aye. Though tell that to Vratusa, he doesn't care either way."

Harawicz panned around to the blocky outline of Vratusa and saw that the Dreadnought was angling his missile launcher at an especially large Ghost Warrior, one of their Ghost Lords, lurking just behind a large cluster of its smaller kin. Vratusa opened fire, but Harawicz cursed under his breath as the Ghost Lord contemptuously wove around the missile without breaking its stride. A cloud of smoke blossomed as Szymaczek's Rhino launched its own missiles at the Ghost Warriors taking shelter in a ruined outpost, with most of de Geer's squad lending their own firepower. Sparks flared and a blue fireball exploded in their midst, and Harawicz recognised the blast of a heavy plasma gun.

"That's not your launcher," Harawicz correctly observed.

"It's the Caged," Szymaczek replied. "There's three of them down here, just in front of Durante."

Harawicz watched as another azure fireball blossomed among the Ghost Warriors, and then a third. Most of the Ghost Warriors strode through the flames, their wraithbone construction simply weathering the plasma fire, but as the smoke cleared Harawicz saw that two of the Ghost Warriors had fallen, their bodies lying melted and broken in the dirt.

"You see, Szymaczek? They can be killed."

(RL Note: Harawicz and Szymaczek are using odd terminology for a reason.)
« Last Edit: July 7, 2009, 11:44:22 AM by Koval »

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #7 on: July 6, 2009, 05:35:21 PM »
Eldar Turn 2

3 Chaos obliterators had crashed down right beside Eluraisal and his wraith comrades destroying 2 of the silent warriors in plasma blasts.  This new threat drew Eluraisals immediate attention, his hand performing intricate patterns in the air, his eyes glowing with psychic fury he directed his anger at the obliterators and doomed the abhorant creatures. 

"We come bringing you our services Eluraisal" a voice spoke inside Eluraisals head, fortelling the arrival of Banshees speeding onto the battlefield in their wave serpent. The waveserpent sped into position over head. The pilot signalling recognition and his service to Eluraisal with a nod of the head through his cockpit as the smokey trail of a missile sped from the launchers atop the serpent.  The missile spiralled ahead before slamming into the front armour of a Chaos Rhino, tearing the tracks from its wheels and wreaking the hull turning it into a smoking road block.

Eluraisal turned his attention away from the chaos marines falling out of their vehicle through the smoke and took refuge in amongst the ruins alongside the wraithguard.

The fire prism had sped around the bute, its weapon charging as it skimmed dangerously low to the ground before the pilot took it into a near vertical climb, the gunner locked onto his target never let it leave his sights as he released the mass of energy into the heart of a squad of marines, 3 instantly vaporised in the blast.

"Direct all fire on the obliterators now!!" Eluraisal ordered sending his message into the minds of his comrades, the wraithlords following his command unquestionably fired into the heart of the obliterator squad.  Unleashing a torrent of shuriken fire ricocheting off the armour of the corrupt beasts, two missiles slammed into one of them tearing it apart in the explosion, mechanised chunks and flesh scattering, landing in a small crater.  The focussed beam of a bright lance bore a whole right through the chest of a second obliterator destroying his heart and cauterizing a gaping hole in his chest.  From way accross the battle field atop the giant ochre red bute came a glint of light, a flash from a lense gleaming in the sunlight.  5 holes were torn through the last remaining obliterator, gaping holes lined its chest.  It slumped to its knees, blood gushing from its wounds onto the thirsty desert floor, it crashed face first into the dirt.  It was dead before the sound of the gun was heard!

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: July 7, 2009, 04:28:32 AM »
CHAOS TURN 3

"Szymaczek, come in!"

"Damnable Eldar," the Hawk Lord coughed, his breathing somewhat ragged. "Took out our transport."

"The Ghost Warriors?"

"A battle tank. Wave Serpent class."

Harawicz's range-finder read one thousand, eight hundred metres and he peered across to where the unmistakable oblong shape of Szymaczek's Rhino lay, belching smoke from its exhausts. The battle tank in question was still speeding towards Szymaczek's position, evidently lining up another shot.

A dark blur crossed his vision and Harawicz stared as the Raptor in front of him was shorn in half by a missile explosion. Left with little alternative, Harawicz fired his jump pack early, punching through the Raptor's remains before they could entangle him and jeopardise his landing. Some of the others also engaged their jump packs, hurtling at breakneck speeds towards a plateau below them.

"What was that?" barked another Raptor, off to Harawicz's left.

"Behind us!" shouted another, his colours just as unrecognisable as the others. "They're bringing up reinforcements."

Harawicz craned his neck and saw another Eldar tank racing through the desert, overtaking a clump of microscopic signatures that he couldn't identify. It had slowed to combat speed, and was tracking the Raptors with what must have been a twin missile launcher.

"Power spike," Harawicz reported as the launcher reloaded.

"Raptors! Evasive manoeuvers!"

One thousand, one hundred metres between them and the ground, and most of them engaged their jump packs not a moment too soon. The Eldar tank's launcher fired again and swatted another Raptor out of the sky, a warhead impacting on his jump pack and detonating its fuel reserves.

"Down there, on the plateau!" a Raptor shouted. "I've got--"

Harawicz knew as soon as the Raptor died that there were Eldar snipers on the plateau. He toyed with the idea of grenading them, but he could hardly afford to waste one of his grenades at this velocity, and so close to the ground.

Five hundred metres.

"Pull up!" ordered their squad leader, and Harawicz obliged, his dive levelling out gracefully until he was skimming along the ground at ten metres. Two of his squad mates were less than fortunate, losing control and slamming into the side of the plateau with horrific force, dying instantly as they crushed themselves against millennia-old stone. Another veered too far towards the plateau and skidded along its surface before sliding over the edge, the entire front of his body a mangled ruin.

Of the original eighteen Raptors, twelve survived the drop, landing at the base of the plateau under cover, hidden away from the Eldar snipers.

"You landed, then?" Szymaczek asked over the vox.

"Of course."

"Good. Did you see what happened to the Caged?"

"I saw explosions, and laser fire from the Ghost Lords."

Szymaczek coughed. "Takes more than that to kill the Caged. You should be able to see them from where you are, even if Durante's blocking your view slightly."

Harawicz peered around the bulk of their commander as he stomped towards the approaching Eldar reinforcements, and watched with barely disguised awe as the Caged, already shot to pieces, managed to get back to their feet, their wounds sealing up as flesh and metal ran together like wax. One of them, blown into bloody chunks by an Eldar missile, seemed to knit itself back together over a distance, knotted ropes of muscle and steel cord lashing out from the largest pieces and drawing them back together where it had fallen. Actinic white lances of energy from the other two blasted one of the Ghost Lords, wreathing it in plasma fire as it broke cover to run towards them.

"By the Four, how do they do it?" Harawicz breathed.

"Just be grateful that they do."

Harawicz was distracted by the crack of bolter fire as Sparre's squad fired up past them, evidently snapping off pot-shots at the snipers as de Geer -- what used to be de Geer, Harawicz corrected himself -- stomped past them at a rate of knots. Around the edge of the plateau Harawicz noticed the outline of another Eldar tank and reasoned that the daemonic entity was set on tearing it to pieces. Behind Sparre, Staugaitis was fighting with three of his Havocs to climb out of their bunker, the Iron Warrior realising only too late that he could barely see anything to shoot.

"That tank's far too close to us for comfort," noted Szymaczek, and past the phalanx of Ghost Warriors Harawicz could make out the top of the battle tank's turret, its missile launcher still tracking Szymaczek, an energy field rippling around it. The field glowed cherry-red as Szymaczek's meltagun pounded it with a ray of superheated energy, moments before Vratusa's own missile launcher coughed and took the turret clean off the battle tank.

"Not a moment too soon," Szymaczek grunted.

(RL Note: Where I have the Obliterators getting back up, what really happened is I had another squad of them land in exactly the same place, and I figured it was just cooler to have the original three get back up and keep going. The extra Raptors getting killed off is also a purely artistic thing.)
« Last Edit: July 7, 2009, 08:38:13 AM by Koval »

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #9 on: July 7, 2009, 08:25:03 AM »
Eldar Turn 3

"Nilanth, where are you, we need your aid now, youre late!" Eluraisal spoke into the mind of Nilanth the fire dragon exarch
"Can you not hear our arrival?" Nilanth replied as his Waveserpent screamed into position, engines whining as the serpent used all its available energy to grind to a halt.  The rear hatch shot open and Nilanth strode onto the battlefield alongside his brethren.  Smoke rising from beneath his helmet, the desert sand turning to glass beneath his very feet, the fire dragons had arrived.  Wasting no time they unleashed the full volcanic fury of their weapons against the freshly arrived raptors.  Within mere seconds seven of the raptors were turned to vapour, their armour to slag and their bodies to dust.  The raptors let out an unearthly shriek, their ashen black silouhettes seen clawing at themselves against the fiery glow of the dragons fury.  Silence fell as seven of the raptors were no more, the remaining 5 stood stunned.

Over at the ruins the wraithguard charged their lethal weapons taking aim at the 3 obliterators who were slowly but surely standing back up!  Eluraisal watched on with disgust as the flesh and iron knitted its self back together.  "Send these atrocities into the warp, lets see them stand up from that!" The wraithguard unleashed their hellish weapons, one by one swirling vortexes opened up a gate way between the immaterium and the material world.  One obliterator was sucked right in, his body torn limb from limb by the impossible forces. "Regenerate from that" spat Eluraisal.  The remaining two managed to fight off the force of the vortexes but suffered grevious wounds in return, limbs torn from their hosts and one lost his entire lower body but somehow managed to fight on!!

The waveserpent opened fire on the marines now having to slog it out on foot shredding one to a bloody pulp with its shuriken cannon whilst the fire prism near the bute opened fire on another marine squad killing the last 7, wiping the squad from existence.

« Last Edit: July 7, 2009, 01:44:35 PM by Valar »

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: July 7, 2009, 11:36:12 AM »
CHAOS TURN 4

The snipers barely knew what hit them. Harawicz and his squad, down to five men after the red-armoured Eldar had incinerated them at point-blank range, leapt onto the plateau and fell upon the Eldar with a savage frenzy.

It was over in a matter of seconds. Harawicz raised his flamer and blasted the snipers with a torrent of liquid fire, dropping one instantly and taking another out of the fight for good. Harawicz watched with disinterest as the sniper writhed on the ground, ablaze and unable to smother the flames that consumed him. As Harawicz looked on, the other Raptors leapt, chainswords whirling, and presently the only evidence of the snipers' passing was a pile of chopped meat and tattered rags. One of the Raptors knelt down to pick up an Eldar rifle and break it over his knee, throwing the remains over the edge of the plateau.

"And now?" a Raptor asked, his off-white livery caked with splotches of blood and dust.

"Reload, regroup, and wait," Harawicz snapped immediately, checking the fuel gauge on his flamer. It still read as mostly full.

Below them, the daemon summoned into de Geer stomped towards the battle tank below them. Harawicz recognised the giant prism cannon on its turret.

"And take cover, there's a tank below us. Fire Prism class."

The Raptors cautiously crept away from the edge of the plateau and Harawicz hoped the daemon would take care of the Eldar tank sooner rather than later. Further away, the Caged stomped towards the Ghost Lord they had injured, and Szymaczek's squad vanished from sight, breaking into a run on the other side of the Ghost Warriors. Harawicz tried to hail Szymaczek, but could receive nothing. He supposed the Eldar were jamming his communications, or perhaps Szymaczek was already dead. He heard muffled grenade blasts, but even despite Lyman's Ear and his autosenses, he could barely tell anything from them.

Harawicz was distracted by a flare of light and stared at the Caged as first one, then the other opened fire on the wounded Ghost Lord. For a second Harawicz stared, eyes wide in amazement as the Ghost Lord shrugged off energy blasts that should have shattered a battle tank. The Ghost Lord put its shoulder down and bull-rushed the Caged, but the monstrosities fired again and the Ghost Lord collapsed in a heap, still running as it pitched forward and fell down at the base of the hill, its upper body reduced to slag.

Harawicz watched as the red Eldar, Dragon Warriors wielding meltaguns, turned to face Commander Durante and levelled their fluted guns at him, but for all their courage, there were few foes that could stand against a champion of Chaos. Durante smashed one to the ground and squashed the Dragon Warrior like an ant beneath his Terminator-armoured boot. The Dragon Warriors' resolve failed them and Harawicz suppressed a childish giggle as they fled before Durante, the giant Champion gunning them all down with marksman-like precision as they tried to run away. Further off, he could see Vratusa haul his enormous form into the ruins, crushing the unlife out of a Ghost Warrior with his power claw, and pounding the remains into another until it, too, fell limp. The Seers accompanying the Ghost Warriors lashed out with glowing blades of fire, but if Vratusa noticed the blades slicing through his more redundant systems he couldn't have cared. Even so distant, Harawicz could literally smell the bloodlust radiating from Vratusa as the insane Space Marine thrashed about with his claw, backhanding Ghost Warriors to the floor and weathering the impact of their fists as they pounded against his hull.

A horrible crunching sound echoed up from below and Harawicz dropped onto his belly, peering down from the edge with horror as the daemon finally charged the Fire Prism tank. The tank was swinging wildly, attempting what looked like an aggressive set of evasive manoeuvers as the daemon leapt. The tank somehow managed to bat the daemon away, catching it in the chest with a side sweep of its port wing. As the daemon closed again, the tank tried to circle around it and ram it from behind with the same wing, but the daemon was ready and leapt onto the tank's side. The giant mace in its left hand hammered into the tank's cockpit and smashed its canopy, pulverising the pilot in a gruesome instant. Without stopping to appreciate its handiwork the daemon put its hooded face to the wound in the tank's cockpit and its hood, ever billowing outward, closed around the tank's armour like a lamprey's mouth as the daemon started devouring the tank's interior. Bright yellow flames burst around the edges of the daemon's cowl and a noise, somewhere between a roaring fire and the shrieking of a chainblade, rent the air as the daemon started burrowing into the stricken tank, already swaying wildly as it tried to keep itself steady, almost as if there were something inside still trying to pilot it.

Something flashed in the tank's interior and its thrusters spluttered, and as Harawicz watched, the daemon was catapulted out of the tank's interior by a glowing fireball that, impossibly, screamed like the souls of the damned. Perhaps the daemon was shrieking, its triumph evident even as it picked itself up proudly, but Harawicz suspected it was the cry of an Eldar soul, or multiple Eldar souls, vanishing into the aethyr and plunging into hell; came Harawicz's own death, those Eldar would be paving the way for him as his comrades waited to walk with him.

(RL Note: Yes, the weird terminology continues; I figured Harawicz wouldn't ever have learned to recognise any Lam-Eldannar, so he'd never have known the real names of the various parts of the Eldar army, and so he'd only have known names used by other, equally ill-informed renegades.

also, rules blip that slipped our minds -- we each had one -- for some reason the Wraithguard were all going for Vratusa's rear armour, whereas Durante somehow managed to Sweeping Advance. both of those, I accept, were wrong)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 06:20:25 AM by Koval »

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #11 on: July 7, 2009, 03:30:01 PM »
Eldar Turn 4

"Oh Nilanth" Eluraisal mourned as he watched the fire dragons mercilessly gunned down as they fled.  "I shall honour you and the fallen when the day is won, but not a moment sooner, fear not fallen brothers, your spirits shall not be left here on this god forsaken planet, you shall be returned to the craft world, heralded as heroes"

Eluraisal snapped back to the battle raging infront of him, the hellish forms of the obliterators still worried Eluraisal a great deal, channeling the strength of the psyker within, masterfully controlling the  warp he cast doom upon the obliterators.  The mechanised creatures were a thorn in his side, and threatened the entire battle line.

From the rear a unit of Dire Avengers lent their shuriken to the seer and their arrival promised the seer hope, hope that they may still win the day after what was looking a bleak situation.  They emptied their magazines of shuriken, hundreds upon hundreds of bladed disks shot into the chaos lord, but not one penetrated clinking off the ancient armour of Durante.  With a fearless cry the Exarch led the warriors into a noble charge, his power weapon glowing.  Butt Durante was too powerful and parried each strike of the weapon before returning blows, his demon scythe taking the lives of four of the avengers.  Their resolve broke, sheer terror over whelming them and as had their dragon brethren earlier they fled.... and were gunned down mercilessly.  Eluraisal wept a tear for them but his resolve remained.  He would win the day some how!  His attention returned to the lumbering dreadnought locked in combat with his wraith constructs.

The waveserpent unleashed its deadly cargo infront of the chaos marines.  The screaming Banshees sprinting elegantly down the hatch their shuriken pistols blazing they killed a marine as they charged into a frenzied melee.  The Waveserpent gunned its engines and tore over head of the combat below.  The chaos marines clutched their ears as the scream of the banshees paralysed them.  Offered no resistance by the marines they made short work of them.  Their elegantly wielded power swords slicing through limbs, armour and bone with ease.  Shown no mercy the marines that had fallen to their knees were swiftly exectuted, their heads rolling to the floor, and those who had not yet fallen felt the burn of the banshees blade sever their spinal cord, falling limp and lifeless.  The banshees suffered a single loss, but a single eldar life is a huge loss to bare!

Needing to prevent the obliterators from shooting the remaining wraithlord charged selflessly into the midst of the mechanic abominations, they bore the brunt of his charge and furthermore wounded the elegant wraithbone construct yet the wraithlord held.  Locked in a swirling melee the bristling weaponry of the obliteratiors could no longer be brought to bare upon his living brothers and sisters.

The dreadnought continued its rampage through the wraithguard, but the lifeless wraithguard were too skilled for the crazed and indiscriminate blows of the metal behemoth.  Remaining calm and holding his nerve Eluraisal had snuck un-noticed around the rear of the combat and bringing all his might to bare slammed his spear into the vital mechanics of the dreadnought... the spear singing with energy as it melted through steel and wires, eventually piercing the flesh of the entombed ancient within.  The dreadnough ground to a halt mid swing, dead!

• Ancient
« Reply #12 on: July 7, 2009, 05:23:01 PM »
CHAOS TURN 5

(RL Note: the rules blips happened again...)

Harawicz watched as the Avengers turned the air between themselves and Durante into a shimmering haze, pelting the Terminator with thousands of mono-edged shuriken discs. By all rights the Terminator should have been scissored into bloody scraps, or been turned into steaming red jelly inside his armour, but impossibly his armour held and the Avengers were cut down like the Dragon Warriors before them. Turning almost instantly from his bloody work, Durante stomped back towards the Wave Serpents behind him, signalling for the Raptors to follow. Harawicz toyed with a krak grenade as he leapt with his squad, landing behind the Wave Serpent belonging to the Dragon Warriors.

His vox burst into life at the wrong moment, and Harawicz half-expected Szymaczek to cough into his ear, but instead a high-pitched piercing wail met his ears instead, stunning him briefly in spite of his augmentations.

Without needing confirmation Harawicz understood that his brother Hawk Lord had fallen prey to the Banshee Kindred. Gleaming off-white armour shone from behind where Szymaczek should have been standing, and the Hawk Lord felt a pang of regret as they rushed towards Staugaitis and the rest of de Geer's unit. There had been little love lost between Harawicz and Sparre, and de Geer and Staugaitis had always been so distant. He cared so little for Szymaczek's squad leader that the Space Marine's name evaded his memory, and he had only ever known Vratusa as a mad loner, but Szymaczek was his friend. The two Hawk Lords had fought together for a century and to Harawicz it was like losing a limb.

The Caged had the remaining Ghost Lord at a standstill, which was something at least, but the Banshee Kindred and the Ghost Warriors remained the most immediate threat. Harawicz noted with some small measure of satisfaction that Staugaitis was actually firing on the distant Ghost Warriors as they emerged from the ruins, prompting de Geer's leaderless unit to follow suit, and although their construction somehow held against the torrent of bolter shells, a few found their mark and two of the Ghost Warriors fell inert.

Perhaps, Harawicz mused, perhaps this wasn't totally unsalvageable.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 04:42:17 AM »
Eldar Turn 5

The engines of the waveserpents screamed as they tore behind the flanks of the remaining chaos forces.  The Wraithguard had well and truely dug themselves in on the remains of the downed flier. The information the pilot or the circuit boards of the vehicle could have would be priceless in locating the accursed sword and no matter the cost in life Eluraisal knew he had to deny the chaos forces any hint of possibility that they would salvage the informational gold.  The Waveserpents opened fire, blazing the marines who dared to search through a second crash site, with a hail of shuriken felling three.

The wraithlord trapped in combat with the two obliterators finally tore one limb from limb, breaking his spine over his knee cap for good measure.  This time it thought, "you will stay dead" and made sure of that.

The Wraithguard took steady aim at the chaos lord, who had anihilated 2 units single handidly.  silmultaneous warp holes exploded onto the battlefield around the lord.  For a few heartstopping seconds the gaping holes in the material universe hid the lord from sight.  As quickly as they had erupted they were gone, and so was the lord.  The terrifying sillouhette of the chaos commander had been finally banished to the warp, torn asunder and sent to the mercy of his gods.

The Banshees sprinted, their light steps dancing on the sand.  They took cover behind the now stationary waveserpent and steadied themselves for thei inevitable charge.

• Ancient
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 07:10:32 AM »
CHAOS TURN 6

Harawicz craned his neck as he heard reality tear itself apart behind him. Flashes of dark light strobed wildly around Commander Durante as four wraithcannons opened fire on him, forcing the space around the Terminator to buckle and distort like the surface of a turbulent ocean.

He turned away, not even needing to see Durante's final moments as the darkness imploded around him, swallowing the Terminator whole and hurling him into the void.

The operation had failed. Durante was dead and the renegade Space Marines hanging onto scant moments of life by the skin of their teeth. Staugaitis' Havocs were charging at one of the Wave Serpent tanks bearing down on them, even as de Geer's former unit summoned up the strength of will to fire at the Banshee Kindred, somehow leaving three of their number lifeless in the dust.

"Ready grenades!"

Harawicz heard his squad leader shout the command as the Raptors closed on the other Wave Serpent from behind. Plucking a krak grenade from his belt, Harawicz watched as the other Raptors did the same.

"It won't do anything," Harawicz counselled. "It's moving too fast."

"Coward," taunted the Raptors' champion. "Are you going to throw away a chance at revenge so easily?"

Harawicz was distracted for a moment as the surviving Caged managed to score a direct hit on the Ghost Lord's breastplate, putting a deep crack into the hardened wraithbone. The Caged bellowed, the sound reverbrating as if underwater, and raised a gun to fire at point-blank range, but its aim was off and the Ghost Lord narrowly escaped impalement on a lascannon beam that glanced off its shoulder armour.

"This is not vengeance," Harawicz retorted, "it's a waste. At the very least dive-bomb them. At this rate you'll fly into their thrusters."

The champion scowled, boosting ahead of the Raptors and using his knife to anchor himself into the back of the Wave Serpent. With his other hand, he grabbed a meltabomb and clamped it into position just shy of the port thruster. He primed it and leapt clear as Harawicz leapt up and hurled his krak grenade at the tank's turret, followed by the other Raptors. Explosions rocked the tank, but Harawicz was unsurprised to see that its armour had held. Staugaitis' Havocs were having a similar lack of success, their grenades bouncing off of their target's front armour or causing only superficial damage.

To his mixed disappointment and mirth, the champion's meltabomb fell off the back of the tank before detonating harmlessly on the ground.

"That wasn't especially inspiring," Harawicz noted.

"We are going to have words when this is over, upstart."

"I'm sure we will."

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 04:08:25 PM »
Eldar Turn 6

The Chaos forces still held resiliantly onto one vital crash site, the marines hugging the cover provided by the twisted metal plates and billowing smoke from the smoldering wreckage.  A Waveserpent, paint scratched from the assault launched against it last turn, burst its rear hatch open.  From within the shadowy interior Autarch Marroze* strode out down the ramp onto the battle field.  His eye glowing furiously he had come to deal the decisive blow to the crippled chaos forces.  As soon as his foot hit the dusty soil both serpents gunned their engines and headed away from the swirling melee of troops below to relative saftey.   The howling banshees ran full pelt their shrieks heard from accross the battlefield, so focused on the swirling art of combat they had no time to draw their pistols as they careened into the marines hugging the wreckage of the vital flier.  The cover providing them no advantage as they; as their kin before them, clutched at their ears, paralysed and easy pray.  Not one was left standing, the graceful yet lethal strikes of the banshees hitting home with every strike!

Just accross from them the slender silouhette of Marroze was lost in a blinding flash of lightning, pulsating and crackling outwards from him at its centre.  The streaks of lightning tore through the bodies of the havoks that had encircled him, their screams silenced by an almighty crack as the thunder tore the air apart.  Marroze stood untouched by the storm, the bodies of his enemies laying crumpled at his feet, smoke rising from their charred remains.

Eluraisal surveyed the scene.  There were but a couple of minute pockets of chaos resistance.  Most importantly was that yet again he had prevailed.  The Eldar forces were taking the captured downed pilot and electronic scanners recovered from the cockpit section of the wreck and had denied the chaos forces even one circuit board worth of information.  A second upstart chaos lord had been sent back to the perils of the warp to face the wrath of his gods for his failure and millenia old chaos marines lay broken, dying on the battlefield.  Yet this time around the Eldar forces had been made to suffer unforgiveable losses.  The ranks of the dead would grow after today, the necromancy of un-life a necessary evil to prevent further losses to the precious life of the already dying craftworld!!

* RL note Marroze is a Yriel counts as.  I wanted to try out Yriel in an army but figured fluff wise if he was actually present Eluraisal wouldnt have a hope in hell of commanding the force... so for all intents and purposes Marroze is a supervising Autarch counts as Yriel model.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 04:28:19 PM by Valar »

• Ancient
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 05:40:28 AM »
EPILOGUE

"You."

Not amused by the address, Harawicz stared his champion in the eye.

"You, upstart, will be the one to explain this failure to the Overfiend when the transport arrives and we return to Drognórr. This is twice that those Eldar have outwitted us and I will not be held responsible for this... insult."

"And why should I take the blame? This is no fault of mine."

"Because the two of us are the only ones left!" the champion shouted. "From just our unit alone, six were shot down before we even hit the ground, a further seven immolated by melta fire, and three lost during our escape! The two of us are the only survivors from the whole operation. Or are you suggesting that this shambles was a resounding success?"

"I am suggesting no such thing. I simply question the logic of sending me in to face the Overfiend when you are clearly my commanding officer," Harawicz answered logically. "I am hardly in any position of authority, and carry no favour with the Overfiend. He would kill me as soon as admit me into his presence, especially with such bad news as this. Perhaps you are too scared to inform him yourself that we have failed?"

The champion snapped and with a feral howl he launched himself at Harawicz, aiming a punch at his jaw. The Hawk Lord was quicker and dodged to one side, using his left hand to grab the champion as he hurtled past. Caught off-balance, the champion was thrown to the floor and skidded for half a metre. He tried to get back up but found himself staring down Harawicz's flamer, mere moments before his field of vision was filled with brightness, heat, and excruciating pain.

As the champion died, the thought suddenly occurred to Harawicz that he had never bothered to learn his name. To Harawicz the champion was now little more than a memory, an image burning away in the heat of his flamer.

All thoughts of the Overfiend discarded, Harawicz resolved that he would find his own way off this rock.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 07:44:50 AM »
Epilogue:

"Well you have made your self quite the reputation young Seer" the seer council addressed Eluraisal.  "The chaos forces are scattered and running, tails between their legs and you come to us with quite a reputation now both amongst your peers and our foe who are now afraid to face your armies on the field!"

"Thank you your highnesses, but I come here today not for adulation but as the bearer of bad news, the losses we suffered today have been unacceptably high, we cannot afford to continue to engage the enemy in open conflict and we must find the sword." Eluraisal spoke solemnly

"We are well aware of this Eluraisal, this is no news to us nor any of our kin"

"Forgive my abruptness my lords, but I had not finished.  The bad news is the mon-keigh pilot that we captured died before we were able to obtain anything from him, fortunatley the electronics and scanners did provide us some guidance.  Approxamately a days travel to the south of our last encounter the flier's scanners picked up a massive energy surge over what seems to correlate with a corrupted shrine of some sort.  Whats stranger is that the energy surge seems to be the cause of the crash, all onboard instruments were fried, the mon-keigh pilot would have been flying 'blind' he didn't stand a chance.  Stranger still the energy surge seemed to have damaged his mind, before he died I could not read his thoughts, I have never been unable to scry the thinkings of lesser beings but this was very different.  He was rocking uncontrollably, his finger nails torn to bloody shreds scratching at the broken glass of the cockpit, he was muttering something under his breath, rocking back and forth, fervantly speaking the same words over and over, carrying them on his last breath!  "He is coming for you, he is coming for you... he is coming for you.  With his last breath his eyes snapped to focus his finger pointed at me "he is coming for you!"

"Disturbing news indeed young seer.  You have left us much to think on.  For now you are to take a small recon party into the hills where the shrine was located., control of the expeditionary forces shall be left in the capable hands of Marroze whilst you take on this most important of tasks.  You are to either gain entry into that forsaken place or destroy it... erase it from all signs of existance.  Go young Seer, travel the path of your destiny and forge yourself the name you were destined to have!

Game ended in 1-0 in favor of the Eldar

Eldar Victory

What do you all think?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:46:20 AM by Valar »

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 08:09:25 AM »
Very good report. Love the fluff. I hope to see more of your batreps in the near future although I'm sure that must have taken a LONG time to write up. Haha. Good job and thanks for sharing.

You did a great job with those Fire Dragons. I really like their paint job.

I'm impressed at how well the banshees did. They really made their points back and more for you. I hardly ever used them when I played Eldar because they were just so fragile (of course, when I played Eldar there was no "Doom" power for the farseer. Lol.) but you definitely put them to good use.

Well played and well written. Keep them coming.  ;D

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 09:44:29 AM »
A very good batrep Valar and Koval, thanks a lot! :)

Seems that the battle was close enough, and were the Chaos force have had a single squad left around to support the Havocs or some good AT rolls made to down one of the Serpent it could well have ended with a Draw. In any case, congrats to Valar for the Victory.

@Valar: Seems that you had trouble in CC with the Wraithlords - Was it repetitive misses or saves from the Oblits? In any case, is that Swordlord of yours ready to take the field next time?
And that Fire Prism, gods did it kill!

@Koval: You seem keen to Deepstrike your Oblitarators around, and I guess that's okay, but what if you had kept one in the backfield and in cover, shooting Lascannons at Serpents and Wraithlord alike while giving close at hand support to your squads closing on the Objective? Also, Deepstriking into Wraithcannon range is never a good idea, just saying. :D

Oh, I guess the campaign isn't finished yet? Can't wait to read the next part...

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.