News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chronicles of the Brush: For the Greater Good  (Read 119582 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
@Nutty: Thank you for the kind words, Nutty! They're much appreciated.

To answer your question, I've only played several games with my Idoneth so far, the rest I've been building. What I've been able to do with my Deepkin, they really do feel reminiscent of the elite Asur from the Fantasy World, and I actually really like that. Their definitely grandiose and hit very hard, and surprisingly, some of their units aren't that brittle.

It's actually the infantry that'll fall over from a sea breeze lol.

Lore-wise though, I'm actually in love with all of the aelven factions so far. They're all remarkably changed, but in a way that seems like they've embraced the nature of their inner fey. They're definitely more in tune with their environments than most other races, and their lore is tragic, but also filled with all of the valor, pride, and martial prowess expected of the Aelves!!!

I'll be posting a Bat-Rep between Daughters of Khaine vs Slaanesh sometime tomorrow evening after the game. Stay tuned!!!

Milestone crossed! Daughters of Khaine collection phase has been completed!!! For the most part, might need one more unit of Khinerai!
« Last Edit: August 2, 2019, 10:07:30 PM by Myen'Tal »
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Imperial Guard, Tau
Nice; I always enjoy reading a good batrep.

I started my warhammer career with the Asur during the start of 6h edition; but made the switch to Druchii fairly quickly. To be honest part of the reason I can't seem to get in AoS is because I still haven't forgiven GW for splitting them up in a bunch of subfactions and leaving several of my favourite units in the "index" scrolls, which unlike in 40k, makes it a lot harder to include them.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Nice; I always enjoy reading a good batrep.

I started my warhammer career with the Asur during the start of 6h edition; but made the switch to Druchii fairly quickly. To be honest part of the reason I can't seem to get in AoS is because I still haven't forgiven GW for splitting them up in a bunch of subfactions and leaving several of my favourite units in the "index" scrolls, which unlike in 40k, makes it a lot harder to include them.

You may be in luck then, Nutty, with the Free Cities Battletome on the horizon. Most of the order range is being combined into one battletome. Some of the older models probably won't survive the transition, but the vast majority should!

Well, there'll be no Daughters of Khaine report today, as during the game, I made a game changing mistake that caused me and my opponent to call it a draw. Zealot's Rage grants rerolls of hit rolls from turn 3 for DoK. I applied this to turn 1 and 2, after mistakenly reading it wrong. Now, turn 2 was alright, since I got sacrament of blood off on turn 2, which legally granted me those re-rolls for that turn.

Buuut... so much stuff had died on both sides in turn one that we simply couldn't ignore. Thanks to my opponent for being gracious enough to accept the mistake and calling me a good sportsman for telling him about it when I figured it out.

You guys should have seen it though, even with all of those rerolls turn one, it was anybody's game up until the end lol.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2019, 05:23:06 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Your not playing (a)elves unless you cheat atleast a little, ask any fantasy player out there ;)

Did you schedule a rematch?

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Not yet, I'll be looking to sometime soon ;D

Now I'm usually not too fussed about ultramarines... They're alright, but I feel like this is a color scheme that I must try ;D! Who knows, maybe an army might come of it soon.

NOTE: So, I might be selling my Daughters of Khaine sometime... after the first match that I had with them, even considering that I made a mistake for most of the game... I actually did not enjoy them as much as did my Idoneth and Sylvaneth in their first games. I've been pondering why I wasn't really feeling them, and I think it's because they're really not fitting my playstyle.

Those of you who have followed me know that I tend to like more elite armies rather than hordes... but I don't know, I feel like some armies would be exceptions, Daughters of Khaine being one of them. I'm going to try to give them another game or two before making a decision.

That's not the only reason I'd be selling them though... I just got too many AoS armies going on right now :P! It would be one thing if I had at least one army completed, but... right now I have three that I'm trying to churn through... and the Daughters of Khaine are adding so many more models to the pile, well over a hundred!

And I have 40k to consider...

I could definitely invest that money back into my Idoneth and Sylvaneth to get them completed!

So, Dread... if you're looking for more Witch Aelves, we can try to strike something ;)? I know there's complications with customs, model transport safety, and what not... we can talk if you're interested.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2019, 02:11:47 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
That's a nice scheme for marines, reminds me a bit of the Astral Claw colours during the Badab War.

You'd think that as far as hordes go; one consisting of bikini-clad women in thigh high boots would be the best kind.. maybe it really isn't your playstyle.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
That's a nice scheme for marines, reminds me a bit of the Astral Claw colours during the Badab War.

You'd think that as far as hordes go; one consisting of bikini-clad women in thigh high boots would be the best kind.. maybe it really isn't your playstyle.

Yeah,  you'd think so ;D, but I don't know. Daughters of Khaine feel a little lackluster to me, perhaps they're not enigmatic undersea raiders who dwell in the depths and fight like the wax and wane of the tides. They're also not forest spirits that dwell in the wyldwoods... I guess I just like how Idoneth and Sylvaneth play and how it's reflected in their lore.

They have extra nuances and niches to consider, that I think makes them very fun tactically and to play. Daughters are kind of the fragile point of a dagger, you always have to aim true and strike your enemy before they can retaliate too strongly and tear your armies apart.

It's kind of like that for Aelves in general, but I feel Daughters of Khaine take it to an extreme and I'm not certain that fits me :).

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
A new series of space Marine codexes are about to drop, so give it some time to let the dust settle.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
A new series of space Marine codexes are about to drop, so give it some time to let the dust settle.

Yeah, I won't rush out and buy anything  :). I really want to finish more of my Idoneth and Sylvaneth before moving on to my next project.

I think I'm starting to catch on to some sense of discipline when buying models lol.

The Eeels are making me hesitate though... just trying to figure out how to get better results out of them. Will take some experimenting and risks, I think. I'm wanting to try some more vibrant schemes. Right now I only have different shades of blue, which is fine for one squad I think.

EDIT:

Honestly, I need to take a long look at what kind of army I like in the 40k setting. Because right now I don't really have much of an answer... I might just make a couple of lists, and see how if I like them or not.

Potential Armies:

Space Marines
Sisters of Battle
Mechanicus: (Done from Scratch, some of the stuff I received in that trade were not in very good condition. I was guessing what were certain weapons and what kit they belonged too. But I haven't ruled these guys out)
Craftworld Eldar: (Not a fan of the reliance of Dark Reapers and Rangers in this edition, but that's how things played out. I could begin investing in them now and see how they turn out in the future)
Dark Eldar (I like this faction overall, but I'm not a fan of certain models, like the Butch Wyches or the strange Hellions)...

So yeah... not sure how to narrow this list down lol. Which is why I've never really jumped into 40k. Anyone got any advice?
« Last Edit: August 8, 2019, 06:19:59 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Sounds like a headache you really don't need. So my take...can never go wrong with space marines or there dark kin.
Craftworld eldar, my first love. I play mine, a lot, but still haven't taken rangers or reapers. The models in the army are just as beautiful as their fantasy counterparts.

Dark eldar, another of my huge armies. I just love the way they play now in 8th ed. 5th ed the rocked, 6th and 7th the rules screwed them so hard. I play them now and they stand a chance. Don't base a decision on those 2 units. Warriors, incubi,the vehicles and the flyers, razorwings and void ravens are the most beautiful ones in any army.

It's really hard to sway anyone to a way of thinking, I have harlequins and ynarri also as well as grey knights, deathwing, necrons and black legion. Just which ever flavor I'm up too when I play.

Hope this helps....
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Space Marines used to be a great army to learn the game with, but they are in a weird spot right now. It should improve with the 8.5 book though, but it is to early to tell.

Honestly unless you plan on entering national tournaments, or if you play in a very competitive meta, any faction will do fine. I'm more of a beer and pretzels type player myself, although I do play some 'casual' tournaments every once in a while. There is a pretty good mix of armies in my gaming group and all of them seem valid; although we do tend to tweak lists according to the opposition (i.e. bring more fluffy/fun armies vs new players).

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Thanks for the advice guys!

@Nutty: Like AoS, I think I'm a semi-competitive guy. I'm down for casual games too, but I'm a fan of friendly, respectful competition and try-harding to some extent ;).

I've been experimenting with Mechanicus again, but woow... the list I'd like to run is eye wateringly expensive, even by 40k standards lol. A lot of the mechanicus stuff is priced low enough that you can fit in quite a few models if you're not taking in stuff like Knights or what not. That's a pretty big mark against that army lol (but it'd be awesome to field an army like that.

Craftworld Eldar are interesting, but I feel that I've waited for so long that I might as well wait until the range is updated, which I feel that is getting nearer and nearer, but who knows.

So, the ones that are left for the immediate future are: Dark Eldar, Space Marines, and Sisters of Battle... I have a feeling that I'll wait for Sisters of Battle to come out before making a real decision, but we'll see!!!
« Last Edit: August 9, 2019, 02:12:39 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Oh I'll be getting a sisters army, been waiting for many, many years for plastic. So far the only thing I haven't like in the sneak peaks is the repentia. Good thing I never really ran them. I think the wait will be worth it.

as far as the eldar, only the aspect warriors may be updated to plastic in the future but pretty sure the rest will be left alone. They're already beautiful.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Went back to my Akhelian King, as I felt like I needed to paint something this weekend ;D!!!

Still need to do some clean up on the fins, but will have to wait until I grab some colors appropriate to fixing that.

And stay tuned:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:11:37 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Conclaves of the Asur (King of the Depths, Herald of the Everqueen)
« Reply #334 on: August 10, 2019, 08:45:41 PM »
Looks great and the gloss on the king's mount's scales and skin gives it a still wet look :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2019, 08:59:05 PM »
Looks great and the gloss on the king's mount's scales and skin gives it a still wet look :)

Thanks, Mage, that one took a bit of effort to pull off lol.

Buut, managed to get something special painted before the end of the night!!! ;D

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #336 on: August 11, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »
cool stuff! That seahorse creature looks like it means business, I especially like the scales; they look very fishlike.

I'm not sure what the last guy is, a flying dryad? But he looks cool with those almost fiery autumn leaves.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #337 on: August 11, 2019, 04:10:37 PM »
cool stuff! That seahorse creature looks like it means business, I especially like the scales; they look very fishlike.

I'm not sure what the last guy is, a flying dryad? But he looks cool with those almost fiery autumn leaves.

Hi Nutty, thanks! The last model is a Sylvaneth, which is a new faction created from the Forest Spirits of Athel Loren in Old Warhammer Fantasy! She's more of a envoy / commander for the Sylvaneth Clan, and one of the voices of the Everqueen.  It's actually an insect creature on her back giving her the ability to fly!

... So, I've been tinkering with the Chaos Space Marine lists in Battlescribe... I feel like I'm running in circles of un-optimized lists at the moment. I don't know what combos are good or bad. At least with other factions I have some idea what makes a suitable list but these guys feel like a challenge lol.

Anyone have any advice for Renegades or Black Legion in particular?

EDIT: Wouldn't mind hearing about how Craftworld Eldar are working in 8th edition now either :).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:04:04 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #338 on: August 11, 2019, 05:24:07 PM »
... So, I've been tinkering with the Chaos Space Marine lists in Battlescribe... I feel like I'm running in circles of optimized lists at the moment. I don't know what combos are good or bad. At least with other factions I have some idea what makes a suitable list but these guys feel like a challenge lol.

Anyone have any advice for Renegades or Black Legion in particular?

Basically all chapters for space marines are getting new codexes with changes to unit rules and chapter tactics. There are enough space marine players out there that it could cause a shift in game play. So I would hold off until we've seen the full rule sets in action.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #339 on: August 11, 2019, 05:40:26 PM »
Basically all chapters for space marines are getting new codexes with changes to unit rules and chapter tactics. There are enough space marine players out there that it could cause a shift in game play. So I would hold off until we've seen the full rule sets in action.

Thanks for the update, Mage, I'm just creating some experimental list for different factions to see how I like them for now. But I'll keep an eye on what happens after the space marines drop next week and what's going on on the forums :).