News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tech Support Thread  (Read 61940 times)

Offline Brother Asreus

• Brother Captain, Resident Spokesman for Idiots.
  • Ancient
  • Closed captioned for the thinking impaired
Re: Tech Support Thread
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2005, 07:33:35 PM »
Check the game manufacturer's website for compatible and required  video cards. Your video card may not be able to handle to the requirements for the game. Some cards aren't powerful enough to handle the needs of a game. More than likely this is the case if this is the only game you can't change these settings on. Check it out, and if all is compatible, let me know and I'll see what I can dig up for you. Make sure to post your pc specs too just so I can have all the info I need to find the right answer for you.

Good luck!

Cthulhu for Pres in 2012!!! Why vote for the lesser of all evils?

Offline Pyrrhic Victory

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2005, 11:19:01 PM »
Check the game manufacturer's website for compatible and required  video cards. Your video card may not be able to handle to the requirements for the game. Some cards aren't powerful enough to handle the needs of a game. More than likely this is the case if this is the only game you can't change these settings on.
From what I'm reading it should be compatible and besides my computer is a year and a half years old while the halo game is more than three and my graphics card can support direct-X. So I'm pretty confident it should run the visuals.

Make sure to post your PC specs too just so I can have all the info I need to find the right answer for you.
Excuse by my computer newbiness but what do you mean by this :-[? Are you asking for how new my computer is and what it has, or something else? ???

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2005, 11:27:51 PM »
Don't worry about it. Yes I do mean what your computer has. Let me know what make your computer chip is (AMD/Intel), video card (GeForce etc...) and how much RAM you have in both your vid card and your system as well as what operating system. I'll dig up anything I can to help you out.  :)

Offline Pyrrhic Victory

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2005, 11:46:01 PM »
Don't worry about it. Yes I do mean what your computer has. Let me know what make your computer chip is (AMD/Intel), video card (GeForce etc...) and how much RAM you have in both your vid card and your system as well as what operating system. I'll dig up anything I can to help you out.  :)
Okay it says on system properties:
System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
version 2002
Service pack 2

Hewlett-Packard
Pavilion
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+
2.08 GHz, 448 MB of RAM
Manufactured and supported by Hp invent

For video card it says NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX
Graphics with 64MB DDR
shared video memory

Well I hope you find the info in this butI take it you need more information correct?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 12:19:37 AM by Hell Knight »

Offline Fire Chicken

• This is my well thought out and informative text
    • Help me win the war
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2005, 12:49:23 AM »
You have a built in Video card.  They are very bad at gaming.  The easiest thing to do would be to put in a new Video card.
You have 512 memory which is just enough.  Your CPU is OK.

I would suggest something like the GeForce 6600GT.  This is the same one I have.  They are fairly cheep now.  Anything more would be waisted on your comp. Don't get the LE version.  Also get the one with 128 memory.  The 256 one is "better" but you wont need it.

Also the thing to look for in them is the bundled games.  All the different ones are about the same so find a cheep one with 2 games you would play included.  I got a splinter cell and Prince of Persia.
If you can read this thank a teacher.
This is a very witty and amusing signature
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=185621.msg2275250#msg2275250

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2005, 06:43:43 AM »
Yep I have to agree with Chicken. Oh, by the way Asreus I finally found out why my lan won't work. I don't have a connection in my connection folder call Local Area Connections and without changing options in that I can't connect to the router.
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline Inquisitor Yoda

• Small, Green & Spammish: Now with Extra Alcololz
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's the damn festive cheer?
    • Original Writings
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2005, 01:23:24 PM »
I have, not so much a technical problem, but advice needed. I'm going to get a new monitor soon and haven't a clue what to get and where from.

I'm looking to spend less than £70-100 depending on how rich I feel at the time. I mainly use my computer for gaming and going on the internet if that makes any difference and don't mind buying second hand but would prefer new if possible.

What I know I want is a decent size as opposed to my current 15" screen, and one that doesn't constantly make things look really dark.

Cheers.

That's right folks, ectoplasm, the force which keeps the sun orbiting around me. Learn it well.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2005, 09:08:19 AM »
Well the price of regualr CRT monitors has really dropped in recent years. If you're looking for a monitor for gaming, I would reccommend that. You can get them in all kinds of large sizes at reasonable prices and better resolution.

If you want it just for doing word processing etc... a flat screen LCD would be good to save space on your desk. Those tend to be more expensive and and even the 19 inch monitors have a max resolution of 1280x1024. The other downside is that they aren't the best for gaming unless you pay mucho dinero. They just can't keep up with the graphics displays and refresh rates of a lot of today's games.

So it all depends on your needs, to save money and have better display for games, go for the CRT. To save desktop space and for general less intensive use, get the LCD.

Hope that helps and thanks for asking  :)

Offline Fire Chicken

• This is my well thought out and informative text
    • Help me win the war
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2005, 11:06:11 AM »
I hate to disagree, well, no I love to but in this case I will do it nicely  ;)

CRT monitors are yesterdays news.  There have been no innovations in them for years, the "Good" ones are hard to find now, the ones you will see are all average.  Their only good thing is that they are cheep!  They do use more power though, so if power is expensive it will cost more per year.

LED is where its at now.  They are very good for gaming if you get a decent one.  Anything with a real rate of 16ms or less is fine for gaming.
They are more expensive however.  I good 17' one is better than a 19' CRT.  I have a 19 inch one, one of the best, and it was worth it.

If all you care about is $ then get a CRT.  If you want something cool, good and new get a LED.  If you decide to go LED give me a PM and I will send you some reviews.
There are some nice CRTs out there if you look, and used ones can be a good bargain.
If you can read this thank a teacher.
This is a very witty and amusing signature
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=185621.msg2275250#msg2275250

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• MINF: Back on the Market
  • Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2005, 06:41:13 PM »
The thing with LED is that a basic 17" costs about 150 quid minimum (inc VAT)
Quote from: Razyus
Quote from: Salami Tadico
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.
We get it. You've got issues.

Offline Inquisitor Yoda

• Small, Green & Spammish: Now with Extra Alcololz
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's the damn festive cheer?
    • Original Writings
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2005, 04:01:43 AM »
Thanks for the advice.

Just one more question do you have any links to particularly good sites where I can buy CRT monitors or do I have to go trawling myself? :P

Cheers.

That's right folks, ectoplasm, the force which keeps the sun orbiting around me. Learn it well.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2005, 07:20:37 AM »
Well seeing as you live half a world away, I'm of no help in recommending good UK retailers. Maybe one of the other UK residents can give their 2 cents about stores they know. Alternately, and bear with me here. You can go trawling yourself, that or get brother to do it for you.  :D Use the infamous sweat stain picture as blackmail. ;)

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2005, 10:54:05 AM »
Try www.Overclockers.co .uk and if you have any unfounded problems complain to P.C. zone.
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline Catachan Devil Sniper

• Bad Trader Nuff said - BANNED
  • SEIG ZEON!
    • Auzzie'z HQ (Gundam, 40K, tanks and airplane model builders talk and read about models)
« Reply #53 on: November 6, 2005, 02:03:49 PM »
i dont if i should ask this but its about my PS2. it says there is a disc read error when i put a disc in and after 15-30 mins of restarting the PS2, it finally loads! and the discs doesnt have any marks on it. can i ship my PS2 to sony and get a new one? and i got it a LONG time ago! thx for your help!
You can take over ANY goverment with the right amount of TNT!
Vin Diesel made a go cart that ran on the hopes and dreams of orphans, it goes fast

Armies: Zeonic Guard 'Zeon's Devils', 72nd Trench Rats, D-99, Night Lords 'Razors in the Night', Imperial Fists, Emperor's Dragons (SM), Tau

Owner of a 1990 Buick Riviera, 08 Kawaski Ninja 650R Motorcycle
GS for the Xbox 360 now is 10,135 pts

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #54 on: November 6, 2005, 05:49:30 PM »
It may no longer be under warranty, but you can still call Sony and ask where you can get it repaired. They can give you a list of authorised PS2 repair stores.

Offline Aronious

• (Arr-OH-Nee-uhs)
    • Game Rats
« Reply #55 on: November 6, 2005, 08:06:39 PM »
How do I see what exactly my computer has in it? Like what parts and stuff? Processor, Video Card, etc.

"We're an infantry regiment, Red. We fight. We die."- Master Horkin, Mage-at-Arms

http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php/topic,83795.0.html

"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."
-Goldfinger

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #56 on: November 6, 2005, 08:28:32 PM »
In Windows XP. Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• MINF: Back on the Market
  • Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2005, 07:03:08 AM »
Well seeing as you live half a world away, I'm of no help in recommending good UK retailers. Maybe one of the other UK residents can give their 2 cents about stores they know. Alternately, and bear with me here. You can go trawling yourself, that or get brother to do it for you.  :D Use the infamous sweat stain picture as blackmail. ;)

Doesn't work. Anyone who matters can find it thmselves anyhow.

Overclockers and dabs are pretty good UK retailers. There's always Ebay if you're willing to take the chance...
Quote from: Razyus
Quote from: Salami Tadico
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.
We get it. You've got issues.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #58 on: February 2, 2006, 09:38:17 AM »
I am guessing my computer is in a bad way. The following symptoms have occured within the last day (never before).
1. Random and frequent slowdowns (especially to high-end processes like movies and games). The speed just drops and I get a lag.
2. A sound. It is a mechanical sound from within the computer. It has to be a fan, and it sounds a bit like a doorhinge.

Now I have openend the computer to clear out some dust, but the problem remains.
Would you guess that it is the main fan or the CPU-fan that needs to be replaced? Is there a way to check?

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #59 on: February 2, 2006, 10:21:46 AM »
Well it sounds like an overheating problem I had with my video card. If you can get your hands on another video card, I would suggest swapping them and seeing if the problem occurs. If it does, then you may want to look at trying another cpu fan (if uncomfortable with this, take to a tech saavy friend or computer store). If it is the video card, then you can get a replacement fan at any computer parts store for under 20$.

The same thing happened with me except instead of lag, my system halted. I put a fan blowing into my open case and voila; problem solved till I got a new fan. Keep us up to date and let us know what happens Rasmus.