News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mass Effect 4, What would you want it to be?  (Read 3780 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Mass Effect 4, What would you want it to be?
« on: April 5, 2013, 01:40:21 AM »
Ok so this isn't major breaking news, there will be a new Mass Effect game, and if you haven't heard that then I commend you for having found a bigger rock to hide under than I.  I won't bore anyone with links, but the main thing I've heard repeatedly is that there won't be any Shepard.

My main question is of course, what would you want the next ME game to be.  Personally I do NOT want one centered around the Krogan Rebellion or the First Contact War, and for me I just don't think I'd be interested in a post ME3 reconstruction era.  I think the best bet would actually be during the events of ME3 on the front lines of Palaven or Thessia or maybe even helping Admiral Anderson defend Earth (just because there won't be Shep doesn't mean you can't have Anderson).

So those are my thoughts, look forward to reading a few in response.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Faeluchu

• Let the sunshine in!
  • Armies: Yme-Loc Eldar
Re: Mass Effect 4, What would you want it to be?
« Reply #1 on: April 5, 2013, 03:46:08 PM »
Goodness, I have been living under a mountain  :o

I *really* hope they go for more of a Skyrim feel, that is a bigger world with more opportunities. It would be awesome beyond measure if you could play as a krogan/asari/turian/quarian and if each race would mean different starting places, different possible storylines*, different classes and such. I don't think that going for a fourth typically TPS game would be a good idea, especially since mechanics-wise there weren't many breakthroughs even in ME3.

Also I think that if they decide to call it "Mass Effect 4" it will definitely be post-ME3; at the very least that's what other parties in the business have done so far: Gears of War: Judgment, Halo: Reach and such are prequels, while "numbered" versions are sequels.

*I mean, they owe us a few good storylines after ME3's ending...
"Tylko jeśli szybowałeś przez niebo na skrzydłach z ognia możesz zrozumieć Jastrzębia"

BYB is too close to BYOB (Bring Your Own Booze) which is how I started gaming anyways. The proper way.

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 5, 2013, 08:23:05 PM »
*I mean, they owe us a few good storylines after ME3's ending...
I completely agree, but want to avoid bringing up that can of worms and have this turn into an open season of people screaming it's alright versus it was [multiple obscenities deleted].  Of course after replaying the last few missions to see the Extended Cut ending I couldn't even muster any emotion other than apathy.  Depending on your view (either positive or negative) they haven't unveiled if its going to be titled ME4, they've only said that they're working on a new Mass Effect game, which for better or worse has Casey Hudson in charge.

I agree Faeluchu, it would be awesome to be able to play as those races, I'm rather a big fan of the Krogan and Turians myself (Wrex and Garrus being my personal favorite characters from the series).  Although I'm not sure what an Mass Effect game could really consist of in a format other than TPS. FPS I think would make the game feel way to much like Bioshock, a series I know pretty much everyone loves other than me.

But you do bring up a great question that I do have to wonder about.  Is there really a necessity to have a break thru in mechanics for a game?

Peace
~OD

Addendum: Now that I've thought about it for a tick, I think there really were quite a few mechanic changes in the ME games.  In the first one you had the awesome guns that you had to be careful to avoid overheating, not to mention a great variety of gear and guns, all of which had variable levels.  Then ME 2 came and changed things up making it more like conventional shooters with ammunition clips (I know they're "heat sinks" but honestly it's really ammo), not to mention cutting out gun levels and mods, but at the same time gave the bonus of biotic and tech explosions.  And with ME3 those biotic/tech explosions became more intense and worthwhile, while simultaneously they enhanced cover mechanics, gave the option to manually revive a squadmate instead of having to Medigel, and brought back gun mods and levels.  Plus if you shelled out for the day 1 DLC (which was b[obscenity deleted]) you had access to an Assault Rifle that worked liked the original game.
Wow.  They really did change mechanics, although the only "breakthrough" I feel was the original overheating weapons (was I the only person who liked that?)
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: April 5, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »
The Citadel DLC has an assault rifle from ME 1. Human and works just like the Prothean weapon.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Faeluchu

• Let the sunshine in!
« Reply #4 on: April 6, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
OD from TV, what I meant by "typically TPS" was more that you don't really have a choice of doing X or Y, you more or less have to go where the game wants you to go. Granted, you can choose which star systems to visit and such, but once you land and actually start playing the maps are very linear and enclosed. I really missed the exploring from ME1, going around in your Mako looking for minerals/artefacts/easter eggs/whatever else... :D
That's why I mentioned that I would love to see it turn more to the Skyrim line of thought, where the world doesn't really restrict you in any way.

And as for mechanics... I will agree that there were changes, but I still think that there were no breakthroughs. Look at Halo - between Halo 1 and 2 you got the ability to dual-wield weapons, Halo 3 introduced equipment, Halo Reach introduced armour abilities... Look at Gears of War: you got execution in GoW 2, the ribbon/medal system in GoW 3, reduction of weapons in Judgment. Look at Elder Scrolls: Skyrim gave you the ability to dual-wield weapons, as well as of using weapons and spells simultaneously. Each of these was a major factor that changed your way of playing. In Mass Effect there wasn't really anything like that: granted, there was the heat-sink change and the recent iteration reintroduced weapon mods, but none of these really feel like a big change. That's also why by mentioning "typically TPS" I made a reference to mechanics - since there weren't really any major changes and mechanics-wise ME 3 felt a lot (at least to me) like ME 2 (hell, even character classes were the same) it might be a good idea to depart a bit from the established way of ME3 universe in favour of, well, whatever. If I may repeat myself yet again I would love to see a big open world, but there are many other ways of refreshing genre so that it feels new.
"Tylko jeśli szybowałeś przez niebo na skrzydłach z ognia możesz zrozumieć Jastrzębia"

BYB is too close to BYOB (Bring Your Own Booze) which is how I started gaming anyways. The proper way.

Offline Faeluchu

• Let the sunshine in!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 01:28:13 PM »
Mass Effect 4 possibilities discussed by BioWare - News - Trusted Reviews <- not sure how far this source can be trusted (although sentences like "The developers don’t mention how they will deal with the continuity issues" actually lend it some credibility), but it does seem that instead of focusing on some time period like post-Reaper attack reconstruction/Krogan Rebellions/First Contact War, they have decided to put more stress on non-Shepard characters. This makes me wonder whether they would try to divide the game into chapters in which you would play as different characters (first as Garrus, then as Grunt etc.), or rather centre the game on just one hero, which would be a bit of a shame, since while the storytelling potential is great I think we would all get pretty bored by the whole franchise if they just kept churning out successive ME games which would differ only/mostly in characters used - compare Halo 3 and Halo 3:ODST, nothing changed apart from the story and protagonists and ODST wasn't a great commercial success.

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 05:51:38 PM »
Well I'll have to check out your link Faeluchu.

If they do chapters with various protagonists it could be interesting, although it would have to rely heavily on execution to actually work.  Personally I felt ODST had a great concept, setting, missions, the only fault with it's lack of success I feel was really in marketing.  From what I recall of the marketing they didn't go over how there were the Firefly voice actors, 6 from BSG, or really attempted to convey the awesomeness that was Firefight mode.  Instead they tried to market it as an infiltrate sneaky FPS, which is at least in my opinion a boring playstyle compared to the thrilling "smash you in the face" Leeroy Jenkins playstyle I feel Halo personifies.

ME4 becoming a reality... I'm still not entirely sure what to make of it.

Peace
~OD

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 03:42:34 PM »
A year later and we actually have some information.  A familiar face from ME1 returns... the Mako. Keep the orgasmic shouting to a minimum please.

http://www.themarysue.com/calling-all-n7s-new-details-revealed-for-the-next-mass-effect-game/
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.