News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rules on fanboyism.  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• MINF: Back on the Market
  • Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
Rules on fanboyism.
« on: May 10, 2005, 12:28:13 PM »
As we all know there are several fanboys of the various systems hanging around the boards.

As some kind of clarification of acceptable fanboy behaviour the following guidelines are in place as of now. Be aware, these are broad guidelines so don't go fooling with words.

1. Back up your post. Same as in the discussion board, provide reasons for your answers and, if someone questions it be ready to provide a link.

2. Don't keep on going. In other words you should not keep mindlessly repeating arguments at each other (i.e. "Ninty Rocks because x" "but it sucks because y" "but x" "But y"...). If you start then I will give one warning then lock the thread if you keep at it, it's tedious and pointless.

3. Don't start for no reason. For example: If a thread called "PSP" is posted, I do not want the letters "DS" to come from a frothing Nintendophile first, preferably I wouldn't like them to get in at all. If someone starts discussing the relative merits of the various handheld systems then go ahead and discuss.

4. Create threads for the purpose of discussion. Do not set up a thread for pure 'I love x' posts, we want discussion rather than sycophancy. I care not if the game truly is the work of god, we want discussion here. If of course it turns out that everyone loves the game anyway I will let it go on until it ceases to be useful (for example a thread on Rome:Total War may have an entire fan club on board but as long as they discuss the game usefully it's OK.
Quote from: Razyus
Quote from: Salami Tadico
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.
We get it. You've got issues.

Offline Seer Fox

• The Cause of Cancer, Chernobyl and Multiple Orgasms
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • No. I'm not keeping the girl.
Re: Rules on fanboyism.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 01:19:15 PM »
As we all know there are several fanboys of the various systems hanging around the boards.

Whatever gave you that idea?

1. Back up your post. Same as in the discussion board, provide reasons for your answers and, if someone questions it be ready to provide a link.

2. Don't keep on going. In other words you should not keep mindlessly repeating arguments at each other (i.e. "Ninty Rocks because x" "but it sucks because y" "but x" "But y"...). If you start then I will give one warning then lock the thread if you keep at it, it's tedious and pointless.

All good all good. Though I'm a bit concerned that you chose 'Ninty Rocks' as the example here. Its like you don't like Ninty supporters or something...

3. Don't start for no reason. For example: If a thread called "PSP" is posted, I do not want the letters "DS" to come from a frothing Nintendophile first, preferably I wouldn't like them to get in at all. If someone starts discussing the relative merits of the various handheld systems then go ahead and discuss.

Ah, you see, now here's the problem. Well, aside from that you used Nintendo as the evil force here again. I mean, its a good idea and everything, of course it is...but I very much doubt you'll be able to enforce the rule. Its like having a discussion on world politics on the Discussion board; eventually it will boil down to the Bush Lovers and Bush Haters lashing out at each other. Some with reasoned arguments, some without, but lashing out nonetheless. If someone makes a post about the PSP (Unless they are talking about aid with a specific game...probably.) you can always expect at ONE mention of the DS in it. And if that mention is 'The PSP is miles better than the sucky DS', well then...

4. Create threads for the purpose of discussion. Do not set up a thread for pure 'I love x' posts, we want discussion rather than sycophancy. I care not if the game truly is the work of god, we want discussion here. If of course it turns out that everyone loves the game anyway I will let it go on until it ceases to be useful (for example a thread on Rome:Total War may have an entire fan club on board but as long as they discuss the game usefully it's OK.

That's fine too. Unlikely, but fine.

You know, for loving Nintendo so much, you certiantly seem a bit stingy towards them.

Ciat,
Seer (Hail Nintendo) Fox
Well I'm not going to quote anything, so...I'll have to hunt down my old sig again.

How bothersome.

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 01:51:29 PM »
Well since Nintendophiles are often the ones at it (remember what you did to Makenshi in the Red Dragon?) I felt it only fair to give us a little stick too.

Number 3 is a sticky point, basically, try to keep within the discussion set by the thread starter, if someone starts flamebaiting (which that is) then it's trouble. It ought to go without saying that you stay on-topic but I felt a little reinforcement would be in order.

Hail Shigsy!
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.

Offline Seer Fox

• The Cause of Cancer, Chernobyl and Multiple Orgasms
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • No. I'm not keeping the girl.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 02:44:26 PM »
Well since Nintendophiles are often the ones at it (remember what you did to Makenshi in the Red Dragon?) I felt it only fair to give us a little stick too.

A little stick? You gave us the entire tree!

And no, I don't quite recall what a did to Makenshi...

*Rummage**Rummage**Rummage*

Ah, all I did was make his psychic powers go out of control.

HOWEVER; I also found this, proving, beyond doubt, that I am a prophetic Farseer:

[There would be no great victory if he made it as easy as that. However, against both a Wolf Lord and an Archon, even Seer Fox had little chance of winning; regardless of his Rune Armour saving him from injury. It would not be inconcievable that he be flung into another dimension, or that some predefined rules would cause him to be defeated./quote]

This quote was from me, when I was considering Uzzy's demand for a duel. The only thing I got wrong was the predefined part, otherwise, its all good.

Damn you Uzzy! Damn you Jinx! You shall both be destroyed as the war grinds ever onwards!!

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Well I'm not going to quote anything, so...I'll have to hunt down my old sig again.

How bothersome.

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 02:53:45 PM »
You can love Nintendo, Halo, etc., just don't be a jerk about it.

Generally, post with logic and reason, not just emotion.
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 09:10:15 AM »

Actually you picked on me for quite a while, but then you decided to go after Yoda instead so we're even 8).

That seems a simpler version, and I agree, it's just like the Discussion Board. We just have to make sure that the utter fanboys (read- idiots people who can only put forward an opinion and never anything to back it up) don't start flame wars.

E.g. while Seer Fox is a hordcore Nintendophille he will back up his points unless he's joking around, in which case that's usually done in the Tavern, not here.

~MTWC
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 09:11:44 AM by Makenshi, The White Cloud »
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Inquisitor Yoda

• Small, Green & Spammish: Now with Extra Alcololz
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's the damn festive cheer?
    • Original Writings
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 01:26:57 PM »

Actually you picked on me for quite a while, but then you decided to go after Yoda instead so we're even 8).

HEY!!!! I do read these things you know >:(

Nice n' simple rules. Good one, I'm fine with those.

That's right folks, ectoplasm, the force which keeps the sun orbiting around me. Learn it well.

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 01:46:19 PM »
Pity you don't always follow them.

An extra rule, just to head off any more of these little sideswipes (really it's implied by TMP but I felt making it clear would help). Don't slag off consoles in passing. Calling the PS2 the PiSs2 or the Gamecube the Gay-cube while amusing is also childish and unnecessary.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 01:49:25 PM by Wurzelmaniac »

Offline Inquisitor Yoda

• Small, Green & Spammish: Now with Extra Alcololz
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's the damn festive cheer?
    • Original Writings
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 01:51:51 PM »
Pity you don't always follow them.

Well thanks.....I do actually back up my fanboyism with facts and also my opinions on why the PS2 is rubbish, I do not merely state my dislike for it.

That's right folks, ectoplasm, the force which keeps the sun orbiting around me. Learn it well.