News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Making Stencils......  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
Making Stencils......
« on: June 3, 2016, 01:09:15 PM »
Hi Guys,
Has anyone had any luck making stencils for Army logos etc?
I am trying to find the best way of doing the Raven Guard Logos on my vehicles etc and at the moment don't want to pay out the £16 per Transfer sheet from Forgeworld. Has anyone made Airbrush stencils to do the same sort of job?
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Making Stencils......
« Reply #1 on: June 3, 2016, 08:38:30 PM »
Stencils would be difficult to use with minis, for a few reasons.

First would be detail level. With repeated sprays, you're going to clog up your stencil. Points become rounds, if you catch my drift.

Second would be carving your stencil into a piece of plastic [?] that's small enough that it will fit on the small surfaces you wish to spray, but not so small that you wind up overspraying around it.

Third, would be that if your stencil isn't perfectly flat against your surface, you'll have "leaks" under your stencil, that will wreck the detail.

You could probably find some kind of printable transfer sheet, and then you could make your own transfers. :) Might not be any cheaper, but you could.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
Hey Auric! There's a liquid mask sign writers use for airbrush work. It's blue when you paint it on. Clear when it dries so you can see your pencilling underneath. It becomes a rubber thinner than a condom. You don't need to apply any pressure to the scalpel, so it won't leave a mark. Just feather the blade along your guide line, then peel the rune area away with tweezers. Any hardware store that supplies sign writers should have it.       

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 09:07:06 AM »
I played around with this a bit, I kept having issue when trying to re-use the stencil.

You can make your own transfer/decals fairly cheaply, without any special software. Just need a printer and the right type of paper. The down side is it is rare to have a printer that uses white ink.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 01:20:45 AM »
I got the Testors transfer making set, it works great. You have to use the spray after the printer so it won't smear.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword