News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar 1750, New Codex  (Read 864 times)

Offline Marsyas

• Armies: Eldar
Eldar 1750, New Codex
« on: June 4, 2013, 12:10:28 AM »
1750 points
HQ: Farseer
HQ: Spiritseer

Troop: Windrider Jetbikes x3, shuriken cannon
Troop: Wraithguard x5
Dedicated Transport (Wraithguard): Wave Serpent w/ scatter laser, shuriken cannon
Elite: Striking Scorpions x5 w/ Exarch, Scorpion's Claw, Crushing Blow
Fast Attack: Swooping Hawks x8 w/ Exarch, Sunrifle
Fast Attack: Warp Spiders x6 w/ Exarch, Twin-linked gun, Fast Shot - 139
Fast Attack: Crimson Hunter
Heavy Support: Dark Reapers x5 w/ Exarch, Tempest Launcher, Night Vision
Heavy Support: Wraithlord w/ two flamers, Scatter Laser, Bright Lance, Wraithglaive
Heavy Support: Wraithlord w/ two flamers, Scatter Laser, Bright Lance, Wraithglaive

I've never used Jetbikes before, but I was recently given ten of them by a friend who never wanted to play Eldar again (he was switching to Dark Eldar full time), so I figured I may as well give them a go. It feels a bit weird not to be taking Rangers, though.
Hige sceal þe heardra, || heorte þe cēnre,
mōd sceal þe māre, || swā ūre mægen lȳtlað

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Eldar 1750, New Codex
« Reply #1 on: June 4, 2013, 05:49:14 AM »
For a 1750 point mixed list, I fear that it's far too brittle.  It also suffers from the classic problem of trying to do too much, resulting in a compromised force overall.  When you only have 1750 points to play with, it's very difficult to successfully integrate vehicles, Jetbikes, and infantry, and all three components are underpowered here, so I recommend that you focus on two of these three, and remove the other.

How you do this is up to you, but in view of the mobility of the list, I don't see much value in taking the Dark Reapers, as even with their new rules, they're going to be left behind by everything else, especially if you plan to deep strike the Warp Spiders, and the Swooping Hawks.

Ideally, I'd recommend that you consolidate the Jetbikes into one squad of six, and then use the squad of three as an objective snatching squad, although if you have three more, it would be worth increasing the size of the second squad too.  This would make the units more durable, as the MSU concept only works if you field a lot of MSU squads across the entire army.

I don't see much benefit from taking Wraithguard over Fire Dragons in that role.  Yes, they are tougher, but they're also more expensive, and every saving helps when building mixed lists in my experience.  The Dragons should still get the job done, providing they are supported.

Speaking of support, mixed Eldar lists don't work with only one Wave Serpent.  You need a minimum of two, but three ideally.  You may be a able to get away with only taking two if the Crimson Hunter can draw fire, and/or is able to offer sufficient additional supporting fire.  The second Wave Serpent could be used to transport a scoring unit, be it Guardians of some type, or Dire Avengers.

If you want to use Wraithlords for ranged anti-tank duty, they don't need Ghosglaives, but they do need more than a Scatter Laser as a second weapon.  I appreciate that you might want to laser lock, but I think that dual Brightlances would be better.  I'd certainly rather have two weapons which are capable of damaging heavy armour than one.  Alternatively, you could drop the Wraithlords altogether, and take different fire support, such as War Walkers, or even Vypers, but that would leave your anti-tank too dependent on the Wraithguard or Fire Dragons.

Finally, five Striking Scorpions are too flimsy in my view.  I'm not sure that the squad fits particularly well in this list either.  If you don't have the points to increase the unit size, I think that you'd be better off dropping it, and spending the points elsewhere.

I hope that helps.

You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Marsyas

• Armies: Eldar
Re: Eldar 1750, New Codex
« Reply #2 on: June 4, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »
It does help. Some of my unit choices are limited by what models I actually own, though. I've been acquiring my models on the cheap and mostly via trades, which means I've not actually been able to acquire an ideal army. On the plus side, it also means I've spent about a hundred and fifty dollars total on 2000+ points of Eldar. I suppose I could always proxy my Fire Prism as a second Wave Serpent (one Wave Serpent and one Fire Prism are the only vehicles I own).

What I wanted at first with this list was two wave serpents, one with Fire Dragons and the other with Wraithguard with d-scythes, actually. Which I suppose can work if I do that Wave Serpent proxy thing and drop the Reapers and the Scorpions.

Hige sceal þe heardra, || heorte þe cēnre,
mōd sceal þe māre, || swā ūre mægen lȳtlað