News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Legio Mortis ( Building a Titan Legion )  (Read 17730 times)

Offline Dark Pariah

• I got an Awful Custom Title for Arguing with a Mod
  • For Volscan! For Blood! For Chaos!
Legio Mortis ( Building a Titan Legion )
« on: January 3, 2009, 08:48:39 PM »
As many of you are aware I'm a heretical follower of the dark gods and enjoy nothing more than making the big bad toys that the traitor legions use to crush their foes, such as the 40k scale harbinger bomber I did a year ago.

Insanity has definately taken hold of me over the last month when I decided it's about time I made a Titan legion. Being that I'm all for chaos there was really only one option that called out to my evil heart, Legio Mortis!

For those of you that dont follow the fluff much, the Legio Mortis ( or Deaths Heads, for those that dont know Latin ) were the traitor titan legion that breached the walls of the Imperial palace when Horus struck his hammer blow to the cradle of mankind.

With an apoc game coming up in feb at my gaming club, and chaos being on the defensive, I knew it was time to unleash the foul demon engines of this legion. With that in mind it seemed like a good idea to do a project log on the legion a it comes together.

So here we go,

6 warhounds ( 1 week of work)

All 6 have been made using 5mm and 3mm foam core, 1mm thick mount board, plastcard, plastic tubing, PVA, liquid nails and stuff from the bits box.
I was going to make them all out of just plasticard, but figured on trying other materials to see how well they would work.
For the armour plating (carapace and legs) I'm going for a mix between two of the FW variants, the Wolf and Mars pattern, just to give them a feel like they are not produced on an imperial held forge world but more like one that dwells in the Eye Of Terror.

All 6 will stand 10.5 inches tall the same as the FW one's.

Now of course 6 warhounds isnt going to be a titan legion now is it?

Perhaps I should do 2 Warlord Titans aswell!

So far only a handful of people at Outpost Gaming Club have had the honour of seeing one of these babys in the flesh, and at 28" tall, they dwarf even a Steel Fury Baneblade Company.
One has it's set of legs made out of MDF and plasticard, the other only has cardboard proxy legs, both torso's are made out of cardboard until my supply of plasticard arrives. Once again I'm tweaking elements of the old epic warlord design to better suit some of the style that FW have used on both the warhound and reaver classes they produce.

The feet were made using MDF, plasticard, adjustible light battens and PVC pipe covers. I decided to use the light battens as they work like the ball joints seen on the FW warhounds and could be easily screwed into place with the rest of the leg.

But of course I wont be stopping at just these 8 titans, I have also been working on the  rightly feared "Dies Irae" Emperor Class titan, and will soon be starting work on some Reavers, possibly 4, not sure yet.

Anyway hop you enjoy following this log

Dark Pariah
Need advice on a scratch build? PM me, I may be able to help.

Builder of all things chaos- Warhound Titan, Harbinger Bomber, Lord,
Stuff.

Offline Balthraka

• Dracite
  • This is a lie
    • Betting on Monopoly
Re: Legio Mortis ( Building a Titan Legion )
« Reply #1 on: January 3, 2009, 09:07:13 PM »
Holy Crap!
They are amazing!
You are incredible!
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

I wish I could model like that.
Can't wait to see them finished and fighting.

Want to make me a few?
Or do a very detailed step by step on making them?

On a side note...
The links in your sig. ask me for a password when I try to access them...
Is there a reason for this?

-B
COME SEE THE BIG LIST OF CHAOS ARMY LISTS FOR SOME TRIED AND TESTED LISTS USED BY FORUM MEMBERS

Offline FifthWindDieGermanator

• Marines are Toughness 3! | Termagant
« Reply #2 on: January 3, 2009, 09:29:16 PM »
Awesome! Yes, a tutorial would be much appreciated. ;D

"special weapons, what special weapons, oh look skulls, BLAAAGABLAGAAAGGGGG BLOOD SKULLS BLOOD SKULLS"
-Sanctjud

I'd rather you hate me, For everything I am, Than have you love me, For something that I can't
- Five Finger Death Punch

Beware, Rules Lawyers, beware!

Offline Calus Drakin

• Armies: Night Lords, Eldar
« Reply #3 on: January 3, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »
DAMN!!! That's just insanity!! I can't even fathom how much time and focus it would take just to get as much done as you have, let alone seeing the entire legion to completion. That said, I'm looking forward to pictures of the finished legion, and possibly even of the apocolypse game where they all get played.
Considering my chosen armies are Vampire Counts and Night Lords, yes, I think "Back from the dead" is probably the most accurate description of my return.

Vampire Counts
     1 / 1 / 1

Offline Dark Pariah

« Reply #4 on: January 3, 2009, 09:33:23 PM »

On a side note...
The links in your sig. ask me for a password when I try to access them...
Is there a reason for this?

-B

Yeah I see what you mean, guess that happened when the site got revamped, all fixed now.

So a detailed tutorial you want, ok, I'll see what I can do.

Time and focus isnt the problem it's getting the right shape, scale and structural integrity. I cant take all the credit for the work on the warlord, I worked very closely with several of the epic players at the club to get the scaling and propotions right. Suffice to say, each of the warlords shoulders is the same size as a necron monolith and is 3.5 monoliths in total width of shoulder span.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2009, 10:09:52 PM by Dark Pariah »

Stuff.

Offline Qui-Gon Jinn

• Jedi Master of the Editorial Order, TechMarine
  • May the Force be with you!
« Reply #5 on: January 3, 2009, 11:50:32 PM »
I have to confirm all that has been said, those are simply AWESOME, with a touch of OMG-sauce.

I would love to see a tutorial for all of this.

Chaos Daemon Army
The Army in all its glory!
The Battle Reports of the Army

W/L/D
55/11/7

Chaos Poster of 2009!
Bow before me! :P

Offline Dark Pariah

« Reply #6 on: January 4, 2009, 04:19:05 AM »
So due to the amount of requests for a tutorial for this I will do one, it may end up a little all over the place being that I'm working on so many titans. My goal is to have the 6 warhounds and 2 warlords done (built and painted) by Feb 14 (apoc on valentines day, my wife is going to kill me) and the Dies Irae and 2 - 4 reavers after that.

With a 5000pt limit on each general (8 per side, Imperium VS Chaos) I was left with no choice but to take on a moderati to help with my princeply duties to the dark gods.

Stuff.

Offline Qui-Gon Jinn

• Jedi Master of the Editorial Order, TechMarine
  • May the Force be with you!
« Reply #7 on: January 4, 2009, 12:50:30 PM »
The Dies Irae.......I HAVE to see the tutorial for this!

Seeing the Titan from Storm of Iron would be simply awesome!

And so many titans....man you have a long way to go.  As to the valentine apoc, make sure you treat your wife REAL nice when it is over, like a fancy resturant kind of nice ;)

Chaos Daemon Army
The Army in all its glory!
The Battle Reports of the Army

W/L/D
55/11/7

Chaos Poster of 2009!
Bow before me! :P

Offline Jakinder

• Get on my horse.
« Reply #8 on: January 4, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »
Very nice stuff you have there. I just cant get past the wallpaper though.
I lurk here so much.

Offline Powerslave

• "It's all part of the plan."
« Reply #9 on: January 4, 2009, 01:51:04 PM »
Oh, the Dies Irae... I can't wait to see that! The legendary Titan from the Horus Heresy... you really have to do a whole blog when you do that one, I bet we have a lot of people here who would be very eager to see it. We shouldn't forget that it's the Titan that killed Loken and then on Terra breached the Walls of the Palace, so quite a history there. Also don't forget about the crew (some interesting characters there). Anyways, the 2nd and the 3rd books of the HH novels False Gods and Galaxy in Flames had a lot of information on this particular Titan and its crew :) Titus Cassar was the man, loyal, brave and honest, but Turnet and Aruken were backstabbing traitors.

Anyways, wanted to say amazing stuff. I love the Legio Mortis - it's a very interesting faction (and it's interesting that they were claimed by Nurgle as a Legion as at the time of the Heresy the Legion was closely working with Horus and the Death Guard).
« Last Edit: January 4, 2009, 01:53:03 PM by Powerslave, aka Vishnah »
http://timeofending.blogspot.com/ - my blog
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=186984.0 - Black Water (Battle for Calvinus Prime)
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=170815.0 - The March of Iron - My Fluff, My Story
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=171063.0 - My Guide to Iron Warriors

Offline Quetzlquatl

• Grand lord Autarch of the Eldritch Storm Raiders
« Reply #10 on: January 4, 2009, 02:11:22 PM »
Now thats just awesome. That warlord titan looks alot better than mine did. I am planning  to make another and thank you for correcting me about scale. My first warlord titian was 3 feet tall.  :o
Eldar the space elves of the future.
Power sword applied directly to the forehead.

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #11 on: January 4, 2009, 02:13:14 PM »
Mister, you are totally nuts!

One scratch-built titan is a task of its own but six of them is .... totally awesome.
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Chosen Man

• Princeps Maximus, Swarmlord, High Lord of Rummy's Privy due to Pissing Him Off, Pookie noobkin, Now 5% less organic
  • Ancient
  • Yes my other car is an AT-AT....
« Reply #12 on: January 4, 2009, 08:11:32 PM »
Wow awesome work! Looking forward to seeing all these titans completed! No matter if they are Chaos or Loyalist Titans are always things of beauty to behold! ;)

Not sure if your aware of this, but there is an Apocalypse Chaos Warlord titan datasheet, the Khorne Banelord sheet came out online last year, and it has one of the very few cool items rare on Chaos titans, a Titan Battle Tail. Are you planning building one of your warlords into a Banelord?

Good luck with the project..... :)
"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!" -Tactica Imperium

Rynnsguard HQ: My Imperial Blog

Anarchy's Heart: My Alpha Legion Blog

Offline Dark Pariah

« Reply #13 on: January 5, 2009, 02:47:56 AM »
Now thats just awesome. That warlord titan looks alot better than mine did. I am planning  to make another and thank you for correcting me about scale. My first warlord titian was 3 feet tall.  :o

This is my third attempt at the warlord design, the other two failed miserably. Along with the epic players at the club we calculated that based on the epic models and comparrison to the artwork featured in the Apoc book for the Warlord stats, a 40k scale Warlord should equate to roughly 28 - 30 inches in hieght. GW and FW certainly help to validate this as if we look at the stats for the volcano cannons fitted to the Shadowsword and Reaver Titan there is a considerable difference in effective range of the same weapon. The Shadowsword has the smaller variant and the Warlord having the largest and the Reaver packing the middle weight version of the three.

Mister, you are totally nuts!

One scratch-built titan is a task of its own but six of them is .... totally awesome.

Sanity is for the weak! You may recall the Warhound I did nearly 1.5 years ago (it's in my sig), after seeing and actual FW kit and comparing the two together, well lets just say I was rather frustrated with how mine turned out.  After comparison, taking measurements off the actual kit, and cursing under my breath, I realised that mine was 10% too big.

If your like me and are building one of these using plans from the BWC Archive, get all the plans available as you will need them. Each and every set of plans IS wrong! Parts design and layout may right but scaling is wrong, leaving you to have to print and re-print designs till they work.

I used 4 sets of templates using bits and pieces from all, doing scaled prints and still had to make plans from scratch for some parts.

Wow awesome work! Looking forward to seeing all these titans completed! No matter if they are Chaos or Loyalist Titans are always things of beauty to behold! ;)

Not sure if your aware of this, but there is an Apocalypse Chaos Warlord titan datasheet, the Khorne Banelord sheet came out online last year, and it has one of the very few cool items rare on Chaos titans, a Titan Battle Tail. Are you planning building one of your warlords into a Banelord?

Good luck with the project..... :)

Each will be designed to cater for different weapons loadouts, so the waist will have sections at the rear where a titan tail can be attached. Just have to pray to the dark gods that I dont roll a 1 for fire frenzy (and I thought chaos dreads were bad).

Oh, the Dies Irae... I can't wait to see that! The legendary Titan from the Horus Heresy... you really have to do a whole blog when you do that one, I bet we have a lot of people here who would be very eager to see it. We shouldn't forget that it's the Titan that killed Loken and then on Terra breached the Walls of the Palace, so quite a history there. Also don't forget about the crew (some interesting characters there). Anyways, the 2nd and the 3rd books of the HH novels False Gods and Galaxy in Flames had a lot of information on this particular Titan and its crew :) Titus Cassar was the man, loyal, brave and honest, but Turnet and Aruken were backstabbing traitors.

Anyways, wanted to say amazing stuff. I love the Legio Mortis - it's a very interesting faction (and it's interesting that they were claimed by Nurgle as a Legion as at the time of the Heresy the Legion was closely working with Horus and the Death Guard).

Thats partly why I chose them, rich history, build potential and gives the loyalists at the club the true arch enemy! Only thing that troubles me is getting more info on the titan names, I've only been able to find 2, the Dies Irae, and a Warlord called Pater Mortis. If anyone knows of more and what class they were, please let me know.

The Dies Irae.......I HAVE to see the tutorial for this!

Seeing the Titan from Storm of Iron would be simply awesome!

And so many titans....man you have a long way to go.  As to the valentine apoc, make sure you treat your wife REAL nice when it is over, like a fancy resturant kind of nice ;)

She has threatedned to cut off my manhood, so long as she doesnt cut off my hands I'll be able to get the legion done. Just hope the resturant idea works.

Ok well I've babbled on enough now, back to the forge.

Dark Pariah

Stuff.

Offline Quetzlquatl

• Grand lord Autarch of the Eldritch Storm Raiders
« Reply #14 on: January 6, 2009, 12:21:55 PM »
Thats partly why I chose them, rich history, build potential and gives the loyalists at the club the true arch enemy! Only thing that troubles me is getting more info on the titan names, I've only been able to find 2, the Dies Irae, and a Warlord called Pater Mortis. If anyone knows of more and what class they were, please let me know.

In the Apoc book on the warlord entry I'm pretty sure it has some names. Alos you might want to check the BL novels Titanicus,Titan I, Titan II, Titan III, or (all the titan books but not Titanicus are in the ombinus Titan: God-Machine). All by Dan Abnett.
Eldar the space elves of the future.
Power sword applied directly to the forehead.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: January 6, 2009, 03:56:52 PM »

There are a ton of named Legio Mortis engines in Titanicus. I can go through it when I get home from work and give you what I find, if you like.

Edit: Okay, I could only find five in the end. There are plenty of Warhounds, but they're never named. The list of what I found is as follows:

ClassPre-Heresy Name
Current Name
Warlord
unknown
Nekromant Invidiosa
ReaverPugnus Alterkate
unknown
ReaverTitanus BriarusPhantom Magnus
Reaver
unknown
Kharnus Kollidus

And -if you're up to it- I have one more name:

ClassPre-Heresy Name
Current Name
Imperator
unknown
Augmenautus Rex
« Last Edit: January 6, 2009, 08:42:57 PM by Khemri. »

Offline Dark Pariah

« Reply #16 on: January 8, 2009, 03:25:50 AM »
The apoc book only lists a Reaver Titan known as Butcher's Mirth, which I have adopted for one of the Reavers when I get around to them.  Thanks to Khemri for the list you presented above. I wasn't worried too much about the warhounds as I've been devising some names of my own, it was just the bigger boys that I wanted to try and get some listed names of.

So I said I'd do a tutorial due to popular demand, so hare we go.

This section is for the legs which can be a bit tricky, on the original warhound I had alot of problems with getting them to postion where I wanted them, but this method works wonders.

Firstly, when you are happy with the design of the legs you want to use, make a set of plasticard templates from them.

The templates I made are to give a solid joint that can, if you wish have a small tube placed in the centre of each joint to allow for movement when the model is complete. I'm not doing this. So the templates with the discs attached to them are the joints themselves and the templates that are similar in shape but missing the discs are spacers. So now that we have our plasticard templates we need to transfer the design to the medium / material we wish to use to make them.  For this I used 5mm foam core which can generally be found in most office supply stores and some hobby stores.

Simply trace around each template untill you have the amount needed, as I'm using 5mm foamcore and I need the legs to be 20mm wide, I need 1 full joint piece and 3 spacers per solid joint section.  It's a good idea to work out how many of each part you will need before tracing onto the material for cutting.

eg: I'm doing 6 warhounds each with two legs, for this example I'll use the ankle joint.
     6 x 2 = 12 legs, so we need 12 joint pieces, now for each joint piece we need spacers,
     12 x 3 = 36, ok now we have the number of space parts needed.

Now that we have worked that out, traced the templates onto the material we just simply cut out the amount needed, clean up if needed and glue together.  This is where you have to keep in mind how the leg is going to work, hopefully the following pic will help explain it a bit.

Its best to assemble one leg at a time to make sure that pieces go together smoothly, or you could do like I did and figure out how many of each piece need to be put together which way and just get stuck into it with the glue.  So thats the main work for the legs done. Now you should have all the required parts for the legs. It's entirely up to you if you choose the plasticard over the lot or leave them bare to fix with spray putty.  I do recommend plasticarding over the ankle joint or you wont have a sturdy support to glue the ankle cylinder to.

Moving on to the feet, these I need to be 15mm thick, so once again with my trusty template I trace the template onto my 5mm foamcore (3 for each foot = 36) and cut them all out. Thats the simple part.

Now we need to find something to use for the ankle ball joint (looks directly at christmas tree, sneeks past wife, and starts to remove decorations). Now that I have all the baubles off the tree I set about cutting the cheap plastic in half with the trusty razor saw and model vice. After an hour or so and many explitives later, I get the 12 half spheres I need ( aswell as an angry look from the wife when she realises what I've just done  ::) ). To get these to set nice and firmly in the foot I trace around the half bauble on 12 of the foot cut-outs and remove the disc. Then we apply glue to the edge, put the bauble into place and glue another 2 foot cutouts to the baubly bit.

When the leg sections and feet are dry, give them a clean up with some sandpaper on a sanding block (180 grit is good) or IF you have a steady hand, a power / belt sander.

Now I'll leave you with that for the moment while I go and remove more baubles from the tree to use for the hip joints.

Dark Pariah

Stuff.

Offline Totally Not a Virgin

• BANNED
  • how do i shot brush?
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 11:27:58 PM »
mad respect, i know how hard it is to one warhound, but 6 and 2 warlords, you are god ;D
2000 points Blood angels army
not including my titan
or my grey knights
oh, cheap jokes are the greatest

Offline Dark Pariah

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 04:23:51 AM »
Well another week, another little rant from yours truely.  Been busy, busy, busy working not only on the legion but also a few terrain pieces for the game in feb aswell. But who cares about that.

Sorry for the image quality guys, Tzeentch deemed my camera unworthy and flattened the batteries so I had to use my phone.

ARISE MY CHILDREN AND DESTROY ALL WHO STAND IN THE PATH OF CHAOS - say's the one little plague marine who right now thinks he's invincible.

Note the Predator, Daemon Prince and Plague Marine for scaliing

And lastly a group shot of just the puppies, aawww arent they cute!

As always CC is welcome and tutorial bits will follow soon, just trying to get them done by the end of the week so I can finish the warlords.

Stuff.

Offline Totally Not a Virgin

• BANNED
  • how do i shot brush?
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 10:31:27 AM »
 :o inspiring, i may build multiple titans now, cheers for the inspiration, probably not as many as you though, fluff wise i heard warhounds work in pairs ahead of the battle titans, so im thinking 2 warhounds and a warlord, and a reaver if i get around to it, if i get around to making the warlord, reading the fluff i heard of one called heavens fist so watch out chaos  ;D
 tutorial wise im probbably going to be poking you to get around to the warlord ;D ;)
2000 points Blood angels army
not including my titan
or my grey knights
oh, cheap jokes are the greatest