News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Watch out...  (Read 3487 times)

Offline Wraithboss

• Most Potent of Geezers
  • Back from the dead, and ready to Party!
Watch out...
« on: January 18, 2002, 07:45:26 AM »
I saw a guy I know do this:

Cleanse mission, with Blood Angels

He placed his first heavy weapons choice, a squad of Devastators in a Rhino,at the nexus of the board, forcing his opponenet to deploy at least 18" away, thus forcing them to "bunch up" near the back of his DZ.
Pretty standard.

THEN, at the beginning of turn 1, that Rhino, instead of seeking an unoccupied table quarter, or a vantage point for his devastators, raced into the teeth of the enemy line, and the Devs. dis-embarked, carrying NO HEAVY WEAPONS. they fired their bolters at a squad of Banshees, killing all but 2.They then assaulted a Defender squad with a star cannon, effectively taking out two units! :o
Now guys, is this a legal manuver? If so, it is HIDEOUS!!!

`Boss!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1011506400 »
" Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
                                    T. Roosevelt

Offline the_Bard_72

• Kanu-rath Craftworld and Kabal of Martyred Souls
Re: Watch out...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2002, 08:04:42 AM »
Nothing illegal about it that I see.  Don't know why he'd bother to call it a Devastator Squad though...same points/stats as typical marine.  My main questions are how small a board are you playing on?  Why isn't there a unit between your guardians with Starcannon and the enemy (assuming the starcannon is meant to make them offensive and not defensive)?  
I don't have the Blood Angels Codex, but it sound to me like you set up within 20" of him.  Can't disembark if the vehicle moved more than 12", they disembark within 2" (which, incidentally could not be from the front per CA, WD 252), and then charge 6" into you.  Easy fix.  Set up 20 and 1/4 inches from him, watch him try it again and laugh in his face :)
Sounds to me like your opponent had a good plan.  Learn from the mistake, and be prepared.
the Bard
Emmissary of the Kanu-rath Craftworld

Offline Wraithboss

• Most Potent of Geezers
  • Back from the dead, and ready to Party!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2002, 09:40:05 AM »
Wasn't me, I was only an observer in the store.
As for why they're called Devastators, in a "Cleanse" mission, Heavies deploy first. He paid a high price for the unit, I guess, for the ability to do what he did.
The board was 4x6, quartered.

Thanks for your input!

`Boss!
" Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
                                    T. Roosevelt

Offline Samurai

• Most Honorable Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2002, 09:44:40 AM »
it's legal, but beardy >:(

Offline Dead_Jester

• What's strategy?
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2002, 10:17:41 AM »
Angels... blood....
hand to hand
makes me shudder.  

yeah that does seem like a rather unorthodox, but quite effective as a result
"Mom, where do harlequins go when they die?"

Offline Cormer Lir

• Farseer of Isthalion
  • Ancient
  • The Hand of Khaine
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2002, 04:27:47 PM »
Not illegal that I know of, though the aforementioned Banshee squad must have been pretty damn small, since the average kills by bolter fire from a 10-Marine Squad is 2 KILLS, not 2 Survivors.  
"It is not the strength, but the duration of great sentiments that makes great men."
                                                          -Nietzsche

Offline McDiz

• I don't like Linkin Park anymore. :[
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2002, 05:44:46 PM »
Just be grateful he didn't have a Whirlwind behind the Devastator squad to finish off your Banshees... ;D

[shadow=red,left,300]PaPaNaRf[/shadow]
Flash that buttery gold, jittery zeitgeist
Wither by the watering hole, water patrol
What are we, a heart huckabee, art beslubberery suddenly?
Not enough young in his lung for the water wings?

Ifrit321

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2002, 06:33:37 PM »
Yeah blood angels are a b**ch to fight. One of my friends plays um (he the kid who cheated on me the first game I played the dick) Just dont try and attack them, just take an equally cheap army, and fight cheese with cheese.(aka starcannons, reapers, banshees, and wraithlords should do it)
Remember use their strenghts against them, fi they sucumb to the black rage, make sure they have to charge a wraithlord instead of, say some banshees.

Offline Hivemind

Re:Watch out...
« Reply #8 on: February 1, 2002, 11:49:56 PM »
The tactic was technically legal - the space marine codex says that up to 4 devestators can be armed with heavy weapons, but doesnt say that any have to be.  So what he did was take a space marine tactical squad (without heavy weaps the devestators are identical to a tac squad) and he called them devestators so he could deploy them first.  Legal, but not really following the spirit of the rules.
The Tyranids are the most rapidly evolving race in the galaxy.  They are super-predators destined to hunt all others to extinction.

Offline Holiday

• Extreme
« Reply #9 on: February 2, 2002, 03:27:10 AM »
You have to give him credit though. I would of never thought of doing that.  Brilliant.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #10 on: February 2, 2002, 09:30:16 PM »
I have had that done to me also.  After that,  I saw it coming and make sure that there is a falcon with scorpians in the way.  and just behind the falcon there are 20 guardians with star cannon.  The SM zips up tries to assault falcon.  My turn, the falcon moves unloads scorpians,  the guardians shoot,  scorpians remove any other marines.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak