News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Alaitoc 1850 Tournament List  (Read 1286 times)

Offline bca11

Alaitoc 1850 Tournament List
« on: December 16, 2017, 04:46:49 PM »
Thinking about going to a tourney next month, and as I've been gone since 5th edition, I thought I'd see if I could get some feedback on my list.

My general plan is to use the Autarchs to buff the dark reapers while the farseer and spiritseer do doom / reveal to ensure units die. Illic and co. pick off dangerous characters while dire avengers screen the army as a whole. The swooping hawks are to help against horde armies and / or drop grenades on hellblasters and other ranged threats etc and other expensive units, while the war walkers take on vehicles and monstrous creatures.

As far as deployment and stratagems, I'm thinking I'll use phantasm to turn a wide deployment into a refused flank to concentrate my firebase in most cases (obviously this depends on the mission), while using fire and fade to keep the swooping hawks safe. I also plan to always keep my farseer near dark reapers for purposes of forewarned.

A couple things I need to decide - what warlord trait and remnant of glory would pair best? Should I just go with fate's messenger + shimmerplume in the likely event I come up against someone who can try to snipe him?

Feel free to pick it apart or point out any mistakes I may have made. I have yet to play a tournament this edition.

Thanks in advance.

Battalion Detachment 1 (3 command points)

HQ

• Stock Autarch (warlord)
  • Stock Farseer (guide / doom)

Troops
  • 3x 10 Dire Avengers (Exarchs have an extra Shuriken Catapult)

Fast Attack
  • 2x 5 Swooping Hawks (Exarchs have Hawk's Talons)

Batallion Detachment 2 (3 command points)

HQ

• Stock Autarch
  • Stock Spiritseer (conceal / reveal)

Troops
  • 1x 10 Dire Avengers (Exarch has an extra Shuriken Catapult)
[li2x 5 Rangers][/li]
[/list]

Spearhead Detachment (1 command point)

HQ
  • Illic Nighspear

Heavy Support
  • 2x 10 Dark Reapers (Exarchs have Tempest Launchers)
  • 2x War Walkers with Bright Lances

Total: 1849

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Re: Alaitoc 1850 Tournament List
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 05:29:37 AM »
1. Taking two Autarchs is a bit of a waste of points.
You see, when you take one Autarch you make him your Warlord and gain the CP regen, which is nice. However, the second Autarch is only useful for the "reroll 1s" bonus - and though he might look fairly cheap on paper, in fact he still costs too much for that weak bonus. Basically, in order to make that investment worthwhile he has to be constantly buffing ~900 pts worth of units. Otherwise you're still better off just taking 3 extra Dark Reapers.

2. Conceal power is kind of weak now. I'd go for Protect instead. Although Alaitoc doesn't actually need Warlocks at all.

What I'd do is merge Spearhead into one of battalions and use the freed-up HQ slot to drop the second Autarch. Then spend the freed-up points on something more useful :)

Alternatively, you can also drop Spiritseer and a couple more models here and there and take Maugan Ra. He can also buff Reapers just as the Autarch does - but the main thing is that he is a beast himself, and buffing Reapers is just a small extra bonus.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline bca11

Re: Alaitoc 1850 Tournament List
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 11:09:35 PM »
I sold my Maugan Ra earlier this year and have yet to get another, but he seems like a good one to run with reapers for sure. How's this for another try.

Warlord I am looking at trying to put him in range of as many rangers and reapers as he can reasonably buff in the particular cover situation. Between him, the rangers, and Illic, I plan to wipe out enemy characters as quickly as possible, especially those that buff their armies. Of course the warlord will make for a priority target, as will the reapers, but between the swiftshroud and webway strike, I can ensure they get their first shooting phase unhindered, and with fieldcraft and said artefact, he should be tough to kill at range.

The dire avengers will form a screen while the swooping hawks take on hordes of weak units or grenade tough ones. War walkers concentrate on monsters and vehicles and hopefully keep them in check before they get too close to pose a problem.

Farseer stays near a reapers unit for forewarned, and warlocks use jinx to make priority targets fail saves and quickly redeploy units that need to get across the field fast.

Hopefully with fieldcraft I will be able to win the shooting war while using my DA screen to prevent assault on my more powerful ranged units.

All that said, here's the revised list.

Battalion Detachment 1 (3 command points)

HQ

• Autarch (Warlord) with reaper launcher, star glaive, swiftshroud of Allainsar, and mark of the incomparable hunter.
  • Stock Farseer (executioner / doom)

Troops
  • 3x 10 Dire Avengers (Exarchs have an extra Shuriken Catapult)

Fast Attack
  • 2x 5 Swooping Hawks (Exarchs have Hawk's Talons)

Batallion Detachment 2 (3 command points)

HQ

• warlock (quicken / restrain)
  • Warlock (protect / jinx)

Troops
  • 1x 10 Dire Avengers (Exarch has an extra Shuriken Catapult)
  • 6 Rangers
  • 7 Rangers

Spearhead Detachment (1 command point)

HQ
  • Illic Nighspear

Heavy Support
  • 2x 10 Dark Reapers (Exarchs have Tempest Launchers)
  • 2x War Walkers with Bright Lances

Total: 1847
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:13:14 PM by bca11 »