News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 ptn Tau (mech-static)  (Read 569 times)

Offline Pi'Cov

• just me
1500 ptn Tau (mech-static)
« on: September 28, 2007, 03:06:06 PM »
*****HQ (19,4%)*****
Commander1[97]
--Shas'el (targetting array, plasma rifle, fusion blaster, h-w multi-tracker)

Commander2[209]
--Shas'el(plasma rifle, fusion blaster, h-w multitracker, drone controller, 2 shield drones, bonding)
--Bodyguard: 1x shas'vre(targetting array, plasma rifle, fusion blaster, h-w multi-tracker)
Main targets are heavy-infantry. To increase the hits they are equipped with targetting arrays (that is stating be obvious..). They operate in forward position, but will not deep-strike since I don't want it to happen that they appear in fourth turn.

*****Elite (25,2%)*****
Stealth Team[165]
--5x shas'ui, burst cannons, team-leader, bonding
Use against light-infantry. They also operate in front of the army. Perhaps using infiltrate to use them as a bait. For the rest they may act rather freely and flank the enemy units.

Crisis Team[53]
--1x shas'ui (twin-fusion blaster, targetting array)
For use against high-AV vehicles. Will probably deep-strike when mission permits, behind a vehicle or something to shoot at rear. Though, with scattering tricky to get in range.

Crisis Team[140]
--1x shas'ui (twin-missile pod, target lock)
--2x shas'ui (twin-missile pod, black sun filter)
Main purpose is anti-light vehicle. They will probably sit back and use their long range.

*****Troops (16,0%)*****
Fire Warriors[60]
--6x shas'la
To form some sort of firebase. Probably advancing forwards, depending on the battle. This holds for all the firewarrior units. I will try to keep them close together, but not to close for assaulting units.

Fire Warriors[60]
--6x shas'la

Fire Warriors[60]
--6x shas'la

Fire Warriors[60]
--6x shas'la

*****Fast Attack (5,6%)*****
Gun drone squadron[84]
--7x Gun drone
Purpose is to deep-strike them and play a free roll: support other units as for example the firewarriors by deepstriking behind the enemy or shoot at the rear of a tank. Just to tick the balance in a fight.

*****Heavy Support (33,7%)*****
--2x Sniper Drone Team [160]
For support of the firewarrior base. Perhaps causing some pinned units.

Broadside Team[205]
--1x shas'ui (ASS, teamleader, h-w drone controller, 2x shield drones, bonding)
--1x shas'ui (ASS)
Main target is high-AV tanks. And they will operate along the firewarriors.

Hammerhead Gunship[145]
--Ion Cannon, multi-tracker, decoy launchers, Smart-missile-system, target lock
Against light vehicles and heavy-infantry. And give support to the HQ or firewarriors.

*****TOTAL POINTS: 1498*****

Well, this is my list. Is not aimed against a specific type of enemy. I might have some problems with heavy-armored vehicles, that is the reason I put that lone crisis suit into the list, but to do that successfully, I 'promoted' two crisis suits to be a bodyguard. The advantage of these bodyguards, is that they now both could take a multi-tracker and targetting array, to increase their shots at a maximum.

The crisis suits are used to 'filter' the units that will reach the fire-warriors, to attack the heavy-infantry and trying to slow down enemy transports or walkers using the twin-linked missile pods. Although I considered of instead giving them twin missile pods, I could give the burst cannons and missile pod and multi-tracker for little extra points, it would decrease their efficiency against light-vehicles.

The HQ: I have added some shield drones to give them more survivablity, because they operate in front of the army and might receive some major fire since they might not always be able to hide behind something since their targets might be in the middle of an army that moves towards me. Further more, I know I lost the Indepent character this way, but with the shield drones I wanted to compensate for this vulnerability.

I am in doubt of dropping a stealt suit to give them bonding.

The fire bases consists mainly of the 24 firewarriors and the 6 sniper drones (and spotter). I have chosen to give the maximum number of troop choice possible with 24 firewarriors because one unit easily gets wiped out in close combat. And although something went wrong if the firewarriors are involved in closecombat, this way I can minimize the damages. But this choice makes them less effective in combination with a possible BS increase due to a Marker light of the spotter.

These were some decisions have made. Hopefully it will give you some more insight in how I planned to use my army. But perhaps you think I could have made some better choices than these and hopefully you have some advice or tips on how to use units better and how to make the army more effective.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2007, 07:31:09 AM by Pi'Cov »

Offline int main()

• Crouching Broadside,Hidden Stealthsuit
Re: 1500 ptn Tau (mech-static)
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2007, 02:57:38 AM »
Crisis Team[55]
--1x shas'ui (twin-fusion blaster, targetting array)
For use against high-AV vehicles. Will probably deep-strike when mission permits, behind a vehicle or something to shoot at rear. Though, with scattering tricky to get in range.

Costs 53,not 55 points. And this guy is good against those pesky indirect firing vehicles which just sit behind Size 3 terrain all game too. Don't simply restrict him to dealing with heavily armored vehicles.

Commander[291]
--Shas'el (targetting array, plasma rifle, fusion blaster, h-w multi-tracker, h-w drone controller, 2 shield drones, bonding)
--Bodyguard: 2x shas'vre(targetting array, plasma rifle, fusion blaster, h-w multi-tracker)

They will be drawing a lot of fire, as you have realized. If you can get them to work then that's fine, though I'm not sure if a second shas'el armed in the same way as the first instead of bodyguards would serve you better(or not)

Stealth Team[180]
--6x shas'ui, burst cannons

Looks fine, though you could do with bonding here.

Crisis Team[140]
--1x shas'ui (twin-missile pod, target lock)
--2x shas'ui (twin-missile pod, black sun filter)

Looks fine, though with 3 suits bonding would be good here.

Fire Warriors[60]
--6x shas'la
To form some sort of firebase. Probably advancing forwards, depending on the battle. This holds for all the firewarrior units. I will try to keep them close together, but not to close for assaulting units.

Fire Warriors[60]
--6x shas'la

Fire Warriors[60]
--6x shas'la

Fire Warriors[60]
--6x shas'la

The trouble with these is that they are only Ld7, hence it is all too easy for them to fail critical Target Priority, Morale checks,etc. Really needs some shas'ui(s) in here.

Broadside Team[205]
--1x shas'ui (ASS, teamleader, h-w drone controller, 2x shield drones)
--1x shas'ui (ASS)

You seem to have a tendency to overcost yourself. This squad costs 195 points, not 205. Since you have 2 suits and 2 drones bonding would be good here, other than that, looks fine.

Hammerhead Gunship[140]
--Ion Cannon, multi-tracker, decoy launchers, Smart-missile-system

Hammerheads always need target locks, due to the myraid discrepancies between the main and secondary weapon systems. That aside, it's fine.

Gun drone squadron[84]
--7x Gun drone

Even numbered squad sizes are ideal for morale purposes, so if you need to drop some stuff, you know what to do *cough*.

« Last Edit: October 1, 2007, 03:07:47 AM by void main() »
Burn the Sister of Battle.
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

Offline Pi'Cov

• just me
Re: 1500 ptn Tau (mech-static)
« Reply #2 on: October 1, 2007, 07:18:38 AM »
Costs 53,not 55 points. And this guy is good against those pesky indirect firing vehicles which just sit behind Size 3 terrain all game too. Don't simply restrict him to dealing with heavily armored vehicles.
I completely agree with you about the point cost. Next time I wil use a calculator instead of my head. And you also are right about not letting him restrict to high AV vehicles. It could also deep strike behind hiding vehicles.

Commander[291]
--Shas'el (targetting array, plasma rifle, fusion blaster, h-w multi-tracker, h-w drone controller, 2 shield drones, bonding)
--Bodyguard: 2x shas'vre(targetting array, plasma rifle, fusion blaster, h-w multi-tracker)
They will be drawing a lot of fire, as you have realized. If you can get them to work then that's fine, though I'm not sure if a second shas'el armed in the same way as the first instead of bodyguards would serve you better(or not)
That is very neat idea. Just changing one shas'vre into a shas'el, dropping it's targetting array, costs only five points extra, but same BS, and better toughness, wounds, attack and leadership! What I could do then, considering I still would like to have three crisis suits in total with fusion and plasma rifle is just a shas'el with shas'vre body guard (plus shield drones and bonding) and a lone shas'el.

Stealth Team[180]
--6x shas'ui, burst cannons
Looks fine, though you could do with bonding here.
I will promote one to a teamleader and give it bonding. Because this unit may receive some fire since it can come close to enemy fire.

As for the broadside: just consider already to have bonding. I know I made an error in the calculation, but the 10 points of error will be used to give them bonding.

The firewarrior teams: I want them to keep them cheap, because i don't think it is for them necessary to make target priority test: if an enemy comes close to them: they want to shoot that enemy and not that one far away. (although someone may exploit that by positioning units behind that one....)

I have edited my army list to include some changes I stated here: right points for crisis suit, put an extra shas'el into the list, gave broadside and stealth bonding, took a stealt shas'ui less to free some points for the shas'el and the bonding. And took a target lock with the spare 7 points.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2007, 07:30:09 AM by Pi'Cov »