News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: newbie needs help  (Read 3759 times)

Offline miclantecuthli

• The Unpronouncable Man
  • Ancient
  • Forever in debt to your priceless advice
  • Armies: Empire (AoS), Chaos (AoS)
newbie needs help
« on: March 22, 2002, 03:14:26 PM »
I want to start a small IG army(never played with nor against them) without tanks (1000pts), I haven't bought anything yet, only want to know if it's playable:

HQ: Command HQ
-Captain(power waepon,carapace armour), 3 flamers, standard bearer, frag grenades, Chimera with heavy bolters

TROOPS: 2 x Infantry Platoon
-Command Platoon(2 flamers, power waepon, Vet. Sergeant, frag grenades)

-3 x Infantry Squad(Vet. Sergeant, meltagun, autocannon)
FAST ATTACK: 2 x Sentinels(multilaser)

So I'll have 2 Walkers, 1 Tank, 3 officers, 72 guardsmen

I really want to know if this army sucks cause I don't want to waste my money on an unplayable army, if it's really a bad army tell me what I should change/keep.
thx
Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear And I'm floating around my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
Re:newbie needs help
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2002, 03:23:01 PM »
Well seing as that command Chimera would be up there all alone it would get pasted reather quickly so I would recommend leaving your hq back 'w yo gaurd or taking away the walkers and addin a hell hound &/or another Chimera to help get that flamey squad in range of some troops

Offline Voyd

• -Let faith protect your mind and metal your flesh-
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2002, 03:35:15 PM »
The only forseeable problem is that you'd be hard pressed going up against an army with lots of tanks. Granted, for 1000 points an enemy wouln't get many tanks in. But you might want to look into giving every Sargeant meltabombs.

Offline miclantecuthli

• The Unpronouncable Man
  • Ancient
  • Forever in debt to your priceless advice
  • Armies: Empire (AoS), Chaos (AoS)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2002, 04:52:09 PM »
I'll replace the chimera with some commissars, better like that?
Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear And I'm floating around my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2002, 06:08:26 PM »

The only forseeable problem is that you'd be hard pressed going up against an army with lots of tanks. Granted, for 1000 points an enemy wouln't get many tanks in. But you might want to look into giving every Sargeant meltabombs.

Or better yet replace a cupple of those auto cannons with las cannons

Offline lastrati

• I'm not a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2002, 05:10:49 PM »
1000 pt IG army without tanks:

HQ-Weaponry is okay.  Drop the Chimera (by itself, it will draw fire and get knocked out early on, unless you just want it for fluff-Colonel's don't march).  Drop the Frag Grenades (they let you go in order of initiative on the rare occasion when you charge an enemy in cover-You will rarely get to use them, and when you do, unless you are facing orks, tau, Salamanders or other IG, you will still go last).  98 pts saved

Command Teams-Drop the Vet Sgt (the LT already has Ld8) and the frag grenades.  Vet Sgts are occasionally handy for an extra plasmapistol, but a plasmagun is cheaper and has better range.  The leadership only comes into play if the squad is out of range of your officers.  Save 15 X 2= 30 pts

Tactical Squads-Drop the Vet Sgts, same reason as above.  6X10=60 pts

Sentinels-Okay.

Save the 188 pts shown above.  With these, you could buy an anti tank squad with 3 lascannons and arm your tactical teams better.  You could pick up two heavy bolter squads and arm your tactical teams better.   Or you could add two more well armed tactical squads.  You could swap out the autocannons for missile launchers -or a mix of heavy bolters and missile launchers.  

Basically, you need to trim the fat (Vet Sgts, and frag grenades) since they suck up points but provide little real benefit.  

Then you need to add some anti-tank punch.  You need to at least be able to glance 14 armor.  Being able to penetrate it with a few weapons, in different squads, is even better.  

Personally, I would give each tactical squad a missile launcher, and each platoon command team a lascannon if I were going with an "all infantry" force.  That way, everything is a threat to armor, even if its main job is to kill infantry.  

Best of luck.

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2002, 08:49:40 PM »

Tactical Squads

Playing with maines to much? :P

Anyway good advice, I woulden't shy away from a few h bolters or auto cannons thow

Offline lastrati

• I'm not a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2002, 09:52:18 AM »
Tactical Squads- A Marine Term?

Too much Marines? No, I only use marines when my daughter's crib is taking up so much space in the trunk of the car that I can't carry my guard.  

I call Guard 10 man squads "Tactical Squads" because I played too much 2nd edition Imperial Guard.  I find the term "Tactical Squad" more descriptive than "Squad."  When I say "Squad", it is unclear whether I am referring to 10 man teams, HQ Squads, Command Sections, or Heavy Weapon squads.  

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2002, 11:04:25 AM »
Ah I see well you could use the term inf. squad but they both work well so

Offline lastrati

• I'm not a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2002, 11:56:27 AM »
To me, infantry squad simple denotes that the unit is on foot.  All of my heavy weapon squads are "infantry" squads.  All of my command sections are "infantry" squads.  My HQ and Armored Fists are the contain the only troops that might not be called "infantry", but they are usually on foot by the third turn as well.  

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2002, 12:54:40 PM »
Ahh i see well tac squads they are then!