News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Iyanden Paint  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Cripple X

Iyanden Paint
« on: August 13, 2007, 12:47:31 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I really like the look of the Iyanden Craftworld Paint scheme and I thought I'd try to paint it.  My question is how do I get the Orange in the crevices like GW's models?  Is it a mix of Inks they did a wash with?  I've heard Yellow is very hard to work with, any tips would be appreciated.

Offline evileyevirtue

• Tastes like chicken...
Re: Iyanden Paint
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 12:56:19 AM »
Theres a guide on the eldar section of the GW website...

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/eldar/gettingstarted/start_paint.htm

Yellow paints are very thin/lack pigment.  It'll take a couple of layers to achieve a solid color, but I thin my paints down because it looks a lot smoother and is worth the effort.
Friends don't let friends play Dark Eldar :)

Visit my BLOG!!!

Offline Cripple X

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 01:31:20 AM »
Thanks for the tip Evileyevirtue.  I'll remember it.  Unfortunately, that guide doesn't show how the achieve the Orange effect in the Recesses.

Offline evileyevirtue

• Tastes like chicken...
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 01:38:19 AM »
From step 1: "Basecoat the entire model with a 3:1 wash of Yellow Ink and Flesh Wash (Ink) with a drop of Gloss Varnish"

That gives the orange-ish color.  You then paint the plates and avoid painting the crevices.

Visit my BLOG!!!

Offline Cripple X

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 02:03:07 AM »
From step 1: "Basecoat the entire model with a 3:1 wash of Yellow Ink and Flesh Wash (Ink) with a drop of Gloss Varnish"

That gives the orange-ish color.  You then paint the plates and avoid painting the crevices.

Ah, I see.  Its just not quite as pronounced as the Codex paintjob.  Maybe adding a bit of red ink will give it a more pronounced color.

Offline evileyevirtue

• Tastes like chicken...
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 02:08:23 AM »
You'll probably have to play with it a bit to get what you like...maybe a stronger mix of flesh wash would work too.

Visit my BLOG!!!

Offline Pshemas

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 08:00:24 AM »
A wash should do the trick - and it might be that yellow/flesh ink mix as flesh ink is reddish in tone.
As for painting the yellows - it`s all about choosing the right colour underneath it. White basecoat should make things a LOT easier. I also tend to use orange-brown colours as well (like leprous brown).

Offline Cripple X

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 09:44:52 AM »
Would it be worth investing in a pot of that New foundation paint "Iyanden Darksun?"

Offline evileyevirtue

• Tastes like chicken...
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »
Well...I just bought the set of foundation paints this weekend...and AAARGH!!!  I really can't say enough how terrible these things are.  Yeah, they're strong pigment and all, but super gloppy and thick.  It's like painting with candle wax.  Then I tried to water them down, as is my initial reaction with GW paints, and it won't stay mixed for more than a few minutes.  I began to paint my Falcon with the red color after it had been watered down, and the paint seperated from the water and slid down the panels and dried into a hardened glop...now I have to go about fixing that.

All in all, I would say to stay away from those foundation paints.

Visit my BLOG!!!

Offline Pshemas

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 06:54:01 AM »
wouldn`t buy foundation paints. Why? Because they`re good only for basecoating. Usual painting (washing, glazing etc) is a bit pain with them. It makes no sense for me to buy paint just for applying basecoat, especially considering the price.
Get P3 - they have almost as good coverage as foundation and you could use them for normal painting too.

Offline Hellboy

• You're unique, just like everyone else.
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 11:07:22 AM »
undercoat your models with skull white spray, get your drybrush and lightly stipple blazing orange in the recesses, then cover it in yellow ink. inks will give you a great even coat on the white undercoat.
First come the smiles.

Then lies,

Last is gunfire.

(Roland Deschain of Gilead - The Dark Tower)

Offline Fury

• Glory to the Dark Gods
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 11:03:36 PM »
Also, try several watered down ink washes on yellow, as opposed to just one. Flesh wash is such a good universal ink, I don't even know why they make Chesnut. I'm also a big fan of brown for a more subtle look. Just beware Pooled ink on light colors is very hard to smooth out by painting over.

I've yet to try ink directly over white, my fear is, ink tends to have a bit of a shiny sheen to it, ran into that problem when inking faces and hands...probably easily solved with DullCote or matte sealant.

I tried the Iyanden Dark Sun paint too, and yeah, due to the high saturation of pigment they are a bit tricky. Solution: a little Liquitex Flow Aid and patience.

I still wouldn't recommend the foundation paints for vehicles. I dabbed on some of that on a Wave Serpent and almost cried at how chunky it looked. Almost.

I second P3 paints, really quality. I'm going to try Hearthfire over a white undercoat on my Eldar whenever I get around to it.
Ruinous Powers - My Chaos Space Marines Blog
http://ruinouspowers.blogspot.com

Offline Hellboy

• You're unique, just like everyone else.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 06:51:35 AM »
inks over the GW paint go shiny. if you put them onto undercoat they tend to soak them up quite nicely.
First come the smiles.

Then lies,

Last is gunfire.

(Roland Deschain of Gilead - The Dark Tower)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 07:10:24 AM »
Iyanden Yellow should be done over a White Primer....

Use the inks as people mentioned, Touch of Orange, and then Yellow Ink's (multiple coats if needed and Glaze mixed in as suits you. Then hit the whole model with a layer of Dull Coat..... Carrry on tot he rest of the colour scheme; since a lot of the "Yellow" work can be done with larger brushes, this technique can be very fast even though it does take a few layers and has some drying time involved.

PS.. @ Cripple X, have you ever considered doing Wraithguard in a Saim-Hann scheme.... Red instead of the Blue area; Yellow still the primary colour.... It can look totally wicked, if done with a bit of care. 

Cheers and Happy Gaming.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Cripple X

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 03:52:18 PM »
Iyanden Yellow should be done over a White Primer....

Use the inks as people mentioned, Touch of Orange, and then Yellow Ink's (multiple coats if needed and Glaze mixed in as suits you. Then hit the whole model with a layer of Dull Coat..... Carrry on tot he rest of the colour scheme; since a lot of the "Yellow" work can be done with larger brushes, this technique can be very fast even though it does take a few layers and has some drying time involved.

PS.. @ Cripple X, have you ever considered doing Wraithguard in a Saim-Hann scheme.... Red instead of the Blue area; Yellow still the primary colour.... It can look totally wicked, if done with a bit of care. 

Cheers and Happy Gaming.

Just to make sure I've got that right, were you suggesting I add a dab of orange paint into the yellow inkwash?

As for a yellow/red scheme that sound pretty fun.  I'll definately consider it.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 07:55:14 PM »
OK, I was speed typing at work so sorry for the confusion...

Prime.
add a touch of Orange on selective edges and recesses (Glaze medium can help get it were you want it and as thin as possible).
Ink as mentioned with Yellow and Flesh Wash (go easy on the flesh wash and do multiple thin coats - lots of water to the mix)
Dull coat.
Highlight as you like,
proceed with the rest of the paint scheme.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering