News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1750pt Nasty Guard  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
1750pt Nasty Guard
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:45:33 AM »
So I'm heading down to play some games at a club that i've known about but never got round to going to.

I'm afraid that I'm a bad man. I want to head in there with a bang. I sat down to re-write a recent 1750pt list without any of the forge world goodies and ended up with a nastier one. I had a few points left over and decided to throw in a mortar to one of the units...

HQ
Primaris Psyker : 70

ELITES
Psyker Battle Squad : 145
- Overlord with 7 psykers
- Chimera with multi laser & hull heavy flamer

TROOPS
Platoon
Command : 95
- Officer, 2x ccws, 2x flamers

Squad 1 : 125
- Grenade launcher, rocket launcher
- Chimera with heavy bolter & hull heavy bolter

Squad 2 : 115
- Grenade Launcher, Mortar

Veteran Squad : 155
- veteran sergeant with shotgun, 3x meltaguns

Veteran Squad : 170
- 2x plasma guns, rocket launcher

Veteran Squad : 85
- veteran sergeant with shotgun & meltabombs, 2x flamers

FAST ATTACK
Vendetta : 130

Devildog : 120
- hull heavy bolter

HEAVY BOLTER
Leman Russ Executioner : 230
- Plasma cannon sponsons, hull heavy flamer

Manticore : 160
- hull heavy flamer

Hydra Squadron : 150
- 2x hydra, hull heavy bolters

you know what, now that I've written it out it I don't htink anyone will be able to see ways of improving is effectiveness... Im not saying I'm a list writing god, but its pretty maxed in terms of its destructive power.

and lol, I'm not suggesting that one mortar helps balance the list out and will win me friends... (though if anyone does call me cheesy I will take delight in saygin "but its got a mortar in it!")

in actual fact, the mortar is a key move... my old army lists were all mortar and artillery based... even down to the exclusive use of basilisks. I want to be reminded of why I loved the mortar and use it to fuel a desire to write an artillery based list concentrating on mortars and other indirect fire weaponry... My only problem is I am apparently a tread head.

I suppose now that I've got this far I need to ask, not how can I improve the list... but how can I break out of habits and write a more interesting one!?

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
Re: 1750pt Nasty Guard
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 12:30:10 PM »
How to win friends and influence people: Lesson 15
Fill in the blank.
Its a new club. You turn up and everyone is playing their usual lists. You turn up and smash a club regular using a bland hard as hell net-list. Everyone thinks_____________ ___________.

If this was me i would do something a little different.
Keep the backbone real. You dont want to be seen as a rookie, but i would fit a couple differemt units in there, to soften the list, but give it some variety.  You are a good enough player to play any list hard andf fair so why make it awkward for yourself.

If this was me i would lose 1 of the vet squads (the plasma one) and the hydras giving you 320 points. 

Use this to take something that is rarely seen.

Rough riders or a squad of ogryn in a chimera.

I might even suggest losing the manticore and taking some armoured sentinels.  Your list is still nails, but its not dull.

Caveat is of course that last time i helped you sculpt an IG list i tore it apart in the tourney ;-)
This is a good list and you can't really improve on it, but its not a first bnight at a new club list.

However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 01:06:16 PM »
I know... its horrible right!  :-[

I'd love to take ogryns... apart from the fact I don't have the models - I'm currently looking at ways to convert them out of ogres... but I'm not a great fan of the plastic ogre models... they look too static!

I'm actually tempted to drop both mounted veteran teams and use the points for a second platoon. it'd be something I haven't done in a long while. Maybe jiggle all the weapons and give the second platoon mortars to be used on the defence.

I could put take two platoons that look like:

Platoon 1:
PCS, 2 flamer, chimera : 95
squad 1, grenade, mortar, chimera : 115
squad 2, plasma, rocket, chimera : 135

PCS, 2x melta, chimera : 105
squad 1, grenade, mortar, chimera : 115
squad 2, plasma, rocket, chimera : 135

700pts worth of troops (not including the 85pt flamer vets). I'd have to swap the executioner for a standard russ with plasma sponsons.

The list bumps tank numbers but loses a degree of punch.

Then, just when people think they have to load up on anti-tank weapons... i can turn up with an all infantry list.

If I'm completley honest with myself I want to take an infantry list. but the extra infantry I'd need are bare metal and I'm torn between playing an unpainted army or an army that includes some of my best painted models. (for the real wow factor)

Offline balo

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:22:52 PM »
I might even suggest losing the manticore and taking some armoured sentinels.  Your list is still nails, but its not dull.

Remove Manticore add sentinel?  WHAT WHAT WHAT? With all the mobile flamers and general nastiness in your list you have troop killing down pat, I would say that you should remove 1 hydra or the devildog and add another manticore. Based on a lot of lists that are going around these days manticore is brutal. The Manticore will kill 1 vehicle of your choice per turn. My experience has been that, and this is subjective here, that when people have not played against an army with a manticore they are blown away by how useful it is and vow to target it first the next game. When they have played against an army with a manticore they tend to target it first, because last game it hurt them good. Also the vendetta (with search light) and two manticores will make your life SO much easier against necron. Night fight? Yes please. Rough terrain, no problem!
That all our knowledge begins with experience, there is indeed no doubt

Offline crew4man

• I say, would anyone care for a scone?
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:47:46 PM »
You know, if you want to make an...interesting impression...might I suggest a Death-strike?

Pros:
Fun
Who sees Deathstrikes?
Roughly as useful as an Ogryn Squad.
Softens List
Cons:
Its a Deathstrike
You might prefer something that does damage
You may not have a giant missile to throw on a chassis of something.
(Then again, you could probably convert a stationary Deathstrike rather easily).
Victory- a delicious recipe of timing, confidence, audacity, intelligence... and having more warm bodies than the other guy.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:11 PM »
now that I've written it out it I don't htink anyone will be able to see ways of improving is effectiveness...

Tee hee... oh, there are ways. ;) I've got some ideas on tuning the list up a notch. Nothing major, but you'd get a bit more mileage out of it. It'll be about 90% the same.

Primaris Psyker : 70 [Joins Squad 2]

Psyker Battle Squad : 145
- Overlord with 7 psykers

Platoon Command : 50
- Officer, 4x flamers, rides in Vendetta

Squad 1 : 130
- Grenade launcher, Autocannon
- Chimera with heavy bolter & hull heavy bolter, Heavy Stubber [Take that, Carapace saves!]

Squad 2 : 120
- Grenade Launcher, Autocannon
- Chimera with multi laser & hull heavy Bolter

Veteran Squad : 155
- veteran sergeant with shotgun, 3x meltaguns

Veteran Squad : 185
- 3x plasma guns, Missile Launcher

[5]Storm Troopers w/ 2x Meltaguns: 105

Vendetta : 130

Devildog : 120
- hull heavy bolter

Leman Russ Executioner : 230
- Plasma cannon sponsons, hull heavy Bolter [Clean up shots instead of close range defence]

Manticore : 160
- hull heavy flamer

Hydra Squadron : 150
- 2x hydra, hull heavy bolters