News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 'Ard Boyz decision: Mek or Warboss?  (Read 1387 times)

Offline muffinman331

• Ork Boy
'Ard Boyz decision: Mek or Warboss?
« on: June 30, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »
So I made up my 'Ard Boyz list the other day and got it to the point where I felt confident it should be able to handle a good mix of opponents. but then yesterday, my local group posted a link they found to the first round scenarios and I'm starting to think about changing some things.
I normally like using my big mek with SAG. he tends to do well, but sometimes of course those doubles come up and cause trouble. it may be a little unpredictable for 'ard boyz, but he did well last year. but this year, on scenario 2, if he causes trouble and rolls double 1s or double 4s(I think.. is that the one that puts him in CC?) that's an easy 5 KP for the enemy. don't know if its worth the risk.
would it be better to take a second warboss? I'm already taking a biker boss with klaw, so if I took another one he would be hanging out with my nobs. what is everyone else doing in light of the scenarios?

and if you haven't seen them anywhere else, here is the link:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m200036a_40KArdBoyzRound1Scenarios.pdf
"Shoot da killy wuns, kill da shooty wuns." – Orkimedes, Ork tactician.

http://webway40k.blogspot.com/ - Harlequin Blog

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
  • If all else fails, roll more dice!
Re: 'Ard Boyz decision: Mek or Warboss?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 05:15:50 PM »
Wow, that scenario really punishes HQs!  Imagine an IC with retinue... 

Depends on your list, really.  I always go with a KFF mek, but you might want to go with another biker boss for all the tanks that show up at those points levels. 

Batreps        Ork Models      Painting Blog

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 05:37:51 PM »
If you go with the Mek, be careful. He will be targeted so quickly in that second scenario. Heck, even I'm concerned about my HQ and it's a winged hive tyrant with a 2+ save!

Offline muffinman331

• Ork Boy
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:45:13 PM »
Wow, that scenario really punishes HQs!  Imagine an IC with retinue... 
yeah, its a killer for sure. people are tlaking about it on our home forum and a lot of them will have up to 25 or 30 KP just in hq. think Black Templars. Emporer's champion, HQs with retinues... mmm tasty.

If you go with the Mek, be careful. He will be targeted so quickly in that second scenario. Heck, even I'm concerned about my HQ and it's a winged hive tyrant with a 2+ save!
But see, that’s what I’m worried about. No matter what I take its going to be an issue, right? I mean if you’re afraid of losing a tyrant, then my extra warboss would also be at risk since he will be in the forefront of any battles… the mek might get lucky and wipe out a nice hq retinue or something. I don’t have another bike boss, so it would be a boss on foot… the mek is usually fielded in a big unit of grots to give him some extra wounds to protect him, but risks the double 1s… it’s a tough choice…
"Shoot da killy wuns, kill da shooty wuns." – Orkimedes, Ork tactician.

http://webway40k.blogspot.com/ - Harlequin Blog

Offline Klamron

• Bloody toof Klan, Whaaaaagh Grotsmak
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 07:08:02 PM »
i use 2 big meks that hang wit my big mobs of boys it allows them to be saved from weapons with... any ap value, my friends loves his plasma cannon and he was quite perturbed when i told him that i stil got a save, made allot of them

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:53:27 PM »
Use Mad Doc instead, he can give the whole unit of 30 boys feel no pain, (it is one of those priceless moments when that heavy flamer only kills one boy) and since he is fearless you can save 5 points by not giving the nob a boss pole.  His rule of heading toward the enemy is what the boys do anyway, so there is no change in tactics.

While a bit pricey for basically a warboss without a squig, he is fun to use, has a decent save and cybork, as well as fearless.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline SuckerPF3

« Reply #6 on: July 1, 2009, 01:52:33 PM »
Dont forget the X point cybork body to any models you want (not vehicles).

He is also the only HQ that eliminate all the short comings of a mega nob unit (poor Ld and no invuln save).

Offline Droofus

• Ork Boy
  • It is YOU who will suffer greatly!
« Reply #7 on: July 2, 2009, 11:19:29 AM »
Actually, I find that Grubbynutz, my warboss, has a much higher mortality rate than my Big Mek.   Think about it... he's bound to be in the thick of the fighting more often than not, while the mek's mission is to hide.

Meanwhile, don't forget that killing most enemy HQs is easy for us given the amount of klaws we can put on the table.

Honestly, if you're going to worry about the 5 KPs, then just take Ghazkgull and nothing else.   He's the hardest HQ we have.   
\

Offline Wyrmnax

• SPAMMER: Copyright? What's that?
« Reply #8 on: July 2, 2009, 12:54:42 PM »
I just came from a game against the army my brother is bringing to 'Ard Boyz...

The list is here if you want to take a look
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=185733.0

Anyway. We got the HeadHunter mission. A Warboss tucked in the middle of a Nob Biker unit is very hard to kill. *very*.

The Mek was hidden inside a unit of boyz. I only managed to get into CC with his unit at turn 5. By turn 6, it had taken 1 wound. There were simply so many boys to plow through that i didnt manage to get to him in time to score a kill. Even with a unit of berserkers.

Since every scenario is a variation of Kill Points somehow, i believe Orks is one of the best armies for the tourney. On armies like my brother's, it is so much work to get each KP that it is very frustrating. The easiest KPs to be gotten there are the lootas, 12 boy units that are hidden behind a mass of boyz. After you take out the lootas, you have to choose between 30 boy units or nob biker squad of doom -_-".

Either way, my point was: bring both HQs. If they are tucked in the middle of the units they should be leading, it will be fairly hard to get to them.