News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 pt list - getting back in the game  (Read 2282 times)

Offline TheNightmare

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
1000 pt list - getting back in the game
« on: August 26, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »
Hello Commarites! With the release of 8th edition some friends and I decided to dust off our old minis, and I wanted to get your thoughts on this 1000 pt list before we play tomorrow:

++ Battalion Detatchment ++
Succubus
8 Wyches - Agonizer & Hydra Gauntlet
Raider

Succubus
8 Wyches - Agonizer & Hydra Gauntlet
Raider

9 Warriors - Agonizer & Blaster

++ Outrider Detatchment ++
Archon - Agonizer

5 Hellions

3 Reavers - Blaster

3 Reavers - Blaster

My plan is for the Archon and Warriors to provide fire support and capture objectives while the Wych units rush forward to cause havok in the enemy lines. Feedback appreciated!

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Re: 1000 pt list - getting back in the game
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 06:39:00 PM »
Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the site!

Model wise, your list looks decent. The only change I would make, if you are amenable to it, would be to take a squad of two 5 man warriors and drop them into a raider.

This makes them so so so much more survivable. Gives them better flexibility, and threat range. I do mine with a blaster a piece and the PGL. d3 hits with hit has actually seen a few models die over the course of the game. Dropping a squad of wyches, moving the succubi to the other raider, and giving the wyches a PGL too.

Oh, and shock prows. One of the best buys in the game!

Overall though, list looks pretty good - let us know how you do!
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline TheNightmare

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 04:12:18 PM »
AFTER ACTION REPORT

I ended up replacing one Raider of Wyches with 2 min Warrior squads, and moving the Succubus to the other Raider - this ended up paying off big, as you'll see shortly. My opponent was my friend's Necrons, sporting 3 squads of Necron Warriors, a pair of Destroyer squads led by a Heavy Destroyer, a handful of Scarabs, and led by Orikan the Diviner and his retinue of Lychguard.

I got the first turn, and move my Raiders and Fast Attack as far up the board as I could, using the Warrior Raider to screen. This ended up being a good plan, since my opponent massed his fire to shoot the leading transport out of the sky on his turn, but most of the Warriors survived and were probably a greater threat than a squad of Wyches would've been stuck in the open.

Turn 2 my Warriors and Reavers shredded his Scarabs, creating an opening for my Wyches and Succubi crashed into his Necron Warriors, the triple Agonizers making carving them up of them in spite of We’ll Be Back/Reanimation Protocols. Side note - do Agonizers no longer deny Reanimation Protocols? I remember in older editions power weapons were the counter to WBB, but I couldn't find anything similar in the current rules. My Hellions assaulted one Destoyer squad, mostly to silence their guns, but to my surprised did a surprising amount of damage, leaving only the Heavy Destroyer standing.

On my opponent's second turn, his unengaged Destroyer squad carved up a team of Reavers, while the unengaged Necron squad wiped one of the recently dismounted Warrior squads before his HQ charged in. Slaughter ensued, and though my Archon’s Shadow Field and leadership bonus kept the fight from turning to a complete rout, it was clear the Kabalites would fall soon.

At the top of round 3, the rules changes swung in my favor, as the Necron squads broke and ran before my Succubi - I could've sworn they were fearless in the past, but apparently no longer. My Hellions fell back from the Destroyers they had decimated the prior turn to allow my Raider to take down the Heavy, and then plowed into the second Destroyer squad, though this time the Necrons did not die so easily. My remaining Reavers then engaged the last squad of Necron Warriors, preventing them from firing on my exposed Wyches. My opponent responded by finishing off my Warriors and Archon, with Orikan morphing into his monstrous form.

By this point, it was clear that the winner would be decided by the Lychguard vs the Wyches, so I decided to charge in. As Reavers strafed Necron Warriors and Hellions dueled Destroyers on the flanks, my Wyches threw themselves into the enemy HQ. Thankfully their dodge saves nullified most of the power of the enemy Warscythes, but the squad was all but demolished before the Succubi to eventually grind them down. Orikan himself was the the last model standing before finally succumbing to the weight of numbers. Victory for the Nightmare Kabal!

Please let me know if there is anything that seems amiss in my retelling - we're still fairly new to 8th so its possible we forgot some rules
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:22:26 PM by TheNightmare »

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 09:14:03 PM »
Awesome - glad to see you managed to swing a win!

Didn't see any rules forgotten or done wrong - Necrons are indeed no longer fearless (That rule basically doesn't exist anymore) and power weapons don't deny their WBB rolls.

Did you take the PGL's? What did you think of them? I laugh every time my STR 1 grenades kill a model - last time I played crons I managed a whopping 3 kills of two units shooting from it - more than from my splinter riles  8)

Hellions are one of my new favorite units - I need to get more so I can run them as a squad of 15

Which unit surprised you the most?
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 10:57:35 PM »
Yeah GW basically started with a clean slate this edition instead of trying to keep building on top of the old rules, so lots of changes all over the place.

"At the top of round 3, the rules changes swung in my favor, as the Necron squads broke and ran before my Succubi - I could've sworn they were fearless in the past, but apparently no longer."

Remember Succubi and Wyches have an ability to potentially lock the unit in CC, so it would have been 3 rolls for that unit to disengage from melee.

Hellions have the fly keyword with "hit and run" is just an amazing option, especially since you no longer have to charge at what you shoot.

Offline TheNightmare

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 12:36:13 PM »
I did take Phantasm Grenade Launchers, but had some poor wound rolls, and the leadership penalty wasn't enough for the enemy to fail any checks. They're cheap enough that I'll probably try them a few more times since my rolls seemed pretty unlucky.

I would say the Hellions impressed me the most. Their ability to "bounce" from one fight to the next feels really fun and Dark Eldar-y!

Ooph, realizing now that I forgot Wyches could keep their opponents locked in combat. I'll be sure to write that down for next time