News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rogue Trader-esque Warbands and Character Conversions, and anything else I fancy  (Read 48564 times)

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Amazing stuff Ynnead, 100% characterful as always. Love it!
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Terrific work again Ynnead.

I'm amazed by how 1 model can really change the aesthetic of a gang. The new Snake Cult members look great...but the one guy with the staff makes them come across as far more intelligent and noble. He totally changes how I view the war band. Maybe that's what you were looking to do, maybe it isn't...but it's a striking effect either way and I think the range looks better for it.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks a ton guys! Always pleased you like them :)

I really need to make some scenery for these guys to live in. It's definitely on the list. Out of interest, what paint to people use for painting scenery? It can't be the little citadel pots or you'd spend £20 per square foot just in paint! ;)

You're right Loosh that the snake priest really changes the aesthetic of the gang. The rest of them have got some pretty sneaky poses, but his has an air of nobility to it. Odd how just the one model can do that...

Now, I'm sorry Loosh, but it's more creepy elk-men next :S I managed to pick up a set of Genestealer Aberrants on eBay recently which are really hard to find for a reasonable price :S still, I've got 4 now! Here's the first use :)

Feth, that's a wargor. Bad news. Sixteen hundredweight of muscle, steel and anger.

Once was a time they were all as such. A time of blood and the ruin of worlds. The elk-men who inhabit these forests are the sons of cowards who fled rather than fall on the battlefields. Every so often the old blood percolates up from the deep.

Their genesis is...not pleasant. Muscle proliferates with little apparent thought for previous biology, torn and stretched upon their distorted frames. The favour of the bronze god is not to be sought lightly...

So that's a wargor :) I've been wanting to push things a little further with the chaos-influence on my elk-men. Even though they've largely been abandoned by their gods, I'd imagine the mutagenic effect on their bloodline would linger like a curse. Once a servant of the Gods, always a servant of the Gods. For all eternity.

Also managed to get this delightful little shot :)

Buck > Stag > Wargor > Mammut

Hope you like him!

Oh, and high res:

High res
High res
High res
High res
High res
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
daaaang, nice work.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Wonderful stuff as always, Ynnead, I think this Elk-men band is one of my favorites. Keep it going!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Just amazing realizism. The smooth conversion work and the mute color palate, so real. Never cease to amaze.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys! Really pleased you like them :) the elk-men are some of my favourites too ;) I've got a few more ideas for them, just need to collect the bits.

Glad you like the palette too. I was having a convo about doing a how-to guide on how I paint stuff so that should be coming soon :) I've just painted a whole batch of dudes, but I'll do it for the next Crow I paint :)

Speaking of next batch, here's the first lot!

Homo Sapiens Fenrisiensis

By blood, they're mostly Fenrisian. Descendents of kaerls and soldiers posted as garrisons, or just too slow to make it back to the landers when the crusade left. They're littered all through the Fenrisian Wilds like so many spent casings.

Figured I'd spoken enough about kaerls so it was about time I actually made some :) these guys will be able to double as a warband in their own right, and a retinue for Udinn, my Longfang spymaster :)

Not sure about anyone else, but I find it helps to make the Poor Bloody Infantry of a warband first as a grounding point to then leap off the edge with weird and wonderful gribblies (more of those coming soon!).

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Great stuff, Ynnead, are my eyes playing tricks on me or are those Skaven Shields that you're using(Might be Rohan too)? They fit really well! I really like the subtle tattoo / war paint on the shirtless guys, not sure how you can work with detail that small, but super nice touch!

Hope to see more soon!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
"They're littered all through the Fenrisian Wilds like so many spent casings."

This short sentense alone paints a picture of such magnitude it's unbelievable. I can almost see the endless bleak tundra and the lost souls inhabiting it... It smells of wet earth, melting snow and smoke of campfires. And those models just bring the picture to life.
I'm lost for words *wipes off a tear*
« Last Edit: November 9, 2018, 03:11:48 AM by SeekingOne »
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Saim-Dann

Oh-my-giddy-Aunt, Ynnead!
Those doggies look amazing, and the narration that goes with them? Micky blessed Mouse!
Have a lot of catching up to do on your blog, mate, but what a start. My first look in for months landed on your doggies. It was meant, I tell ya!

Good to see your work again, bloke... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks a ton guys! Always glad you like them :)

@Myen'talThe shields are ungor/gor sheilds :) some from the newer kit, and some salvaged from some of the older models I bought but never painted in my teens. I do need to pick up some of the clanrat shields though. Pretty distinctive shape, but I reckon they'd work really nicely to tie a particular group together :)

The tattoos were daunting to begin with but now nothing seems finished until it's got freehand of some sort or other on it! It's not too tricky once you get the technique. Go slow with only a teeny bit of paint on the thinnest brush you can find. Do one stroke at a time (the little bit of paint tends to dry off before you get too far), and it's easier to go slightly too wide and then thin the edges back down with some of the base colour :)

I'd definitely give it a try ;) Idoneth Deepkin are crying out for some maori-style tattoos ;)

@SeekingOne Ooh I love that description :) nail->head. Bleak tundra, lost souls, the smell of wet earth and woodsmoke and the sound of an axe being sharpened by the fireside. Perfect :) you get a fair few post-apocalyptic deserts and wastelands, but seemingly few frigid and shadowy boreal forests.

I stumbled upon some mood music the other day which took me on a dive through some stuff that just fits perfectly: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Oh, and an awesome new instrument I hadn't heard of, the taglharpe.

@Saim-dannGood to see you back dude :) and good timing ;) plenty more of these guys coming!

Virskr gazed out into Ginnungagap, the yawning void between stars. He remembered well the whispering, gnawing hunger that clawed his mind from that abyssal place. With clenched teeth he steeled himself against his fear. His gods demanded service, and he was oathbound to obey.

Oh, and high res!

High res
High res

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Excellent as usual, Ynnead, I absolutely love that warband leader! He's got a lot of character, and that's saying something when all of the other minions have that in plenty ;D.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks dude! He did turn out particularly 'viking' ;)

He's not the leader though. That's this guy:

The jarl towered over his followers. You could certainly see how he came to power. The man was a mountain. People say his mother was an ettin...and looking at him I could almost believe it.

Dead pleased with this guy. I bought the chieftain a while ago and made a jarl out of him, but just wasn't pleased with how he turned out. Turns out a head swap to something more inhuman, toning down the warpbeast pauldron and giving him some heads to hold was all it took to bring him up to scratch!

Hope you like him!

High res
High res
High res

Offline Saim-Dann

Magic stuff, Ynnead!
Even the bolt pistol converted into a rifle tells a story of this mungrel mob... Be well!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
Breathtaking.

Just can't help pointing this out... Since the moment I started following you Ynnead, your miniatures have always been unbelievably characterful. But these latest ones, they are something more. I mean, there are a lot of minis out there, some of them are cool, some are beatiful, some are gritty and realistic - but yours are in a different league entirely. They are characterful, and their character is imbued with so much compressed meaning it feels almost palpable. I can (and do) stare at your photos for minutes, and the picture just keeps unfolding. Being able to imagine a world is cool enough, but imaginig a world that actually feels alive - now that's an accomplishment. And you manage not only to imagine, but also to express it, using laconic yet incredibly precise strokes of minis and lines of text to confer that feeling of being alive to a viewer. That's nothing if not high Art, as far as I'm concerned.
Thank you, and keep it up! :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Thanks dude! He did turn out particularly 'viking' ;)

He's not the leader though. That's this guy:

Yeah, I'd say that guy is definitely the Alpha of this pack ;D. He's boss, Ynnead, I think my favorite part is the fur tufts and skulls on his boots, I think that's a great touch. Also that mechanical fist looks great too.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys!

That's one hell of a compliment SeekingOne :) I do put a fair bit of effort into researching, writing, rewriting and just thinking about the background and world these guys inhabit. Really pleased it's paying off!

The rifle's actually just a straight bit from the Chaos Cultists kit. They're a bit trickier to kitbash than some older kits as they're not as modular arms/legs/body/head being separate.
Seems like a lot of kits are moving that way now, which does make it a bit more challengine to get into kitbashing, but the results tend to look more seamless which is nice :)

And yeah I do love his snappy boots too ;) there's actually not a great deal I did to the Darkoath Chieftain kit for him. The head is one of my favourites (I think from Sternguard Vets), the shoulder pad is mk3 SM armour and replaced the big chaos beast skull, the heads replace a sword and the power fist is from the Orlock Gang kit. Oh, and the backpack is one of the billion Ruststalker ones I've got lying around from all my crow conversions :)

Onwards and upwards though! This one's a twofer :)

That's our Ulfsark. Men who have dedicated themselves wholly to Morkai the Animal God. Men who have stripped their minds and bodies of all that was once human, such that they might better understand their patron.

And this guy.

I forget you're an utlaending. That's a sleipnir. Quite common around these parts. Fenrisians, both kearls and wildlings, use them for scouts and warhorses.

Hope you like them!

High res
High res
High res
High res
High res

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
wow, more outstanding work, well done. Love the arms on the horse :).

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
More glorious additions, Ynnead. I second Mage's opinion about the Sleipnir, it's quite majestic in an ominous-twisted kind of way ;D. I think the Robo-Wolf is great too :).

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Nice use of skitarii parts! I love the, I think, genestealer arm on the horse too. Beautiful color on it to and the tat work is perfect. I also like the molf. Great kit bash work as well as paint.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword