News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Yggdrasil & The Necrons...  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• The Twisted Haemonculus
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Serious as a hemophiliac in a razor blade factory.
Yggdrasil & The Necrons...
« on: July 31, 2004, 10:44:22 PM »
Alrighty, done with my DE army (Buying, not playing. I like that Archon title a little to much to stop playing DE), and my Iyanden is well underway. However, the plan for my Iyanden has a minor flaw in it. Instead of the rock hard troops I was looking for, they die just the same due to the fact that it's a pointy eared army, and when you spend that much on wraithgaurd, your opponent brings alot of heavy weapons (They brought them anyway to bring down raiders...). So, I was thinking about perhaps starting up a necron force. Knowing only the smallest bits about necrons and their fluff, and having read Foxfire's most excelt article, have decided that I want to approach necrons the same way I did DE, Fill up the force org. chart with at least one unit of everything (I'm a fan of the pariah. Sure they don't get a WWB roll, but who cares when they have an Incubi like save of 3+?), bar special characters (Dislike the C'tan myself).

I was also wondering if the following fluff outline works, and made sense for my intened necron legion:

During the near defeat of the old ones, many C'tans roamed the galaxy, and many of these had legions. Now one of these was the C'tan which would found the Necron legion of which I am thinking of playing (I'll get to a good old fashioned Norse name should this fluff work the way it's supposed to. Also note that I'm using legion here to describe the vast personal army of a single C'tan in the old glory days.). However, along comes the Nightbringer, eating all the other C'tan, and of course, bang, there goes the boss of these necrons. The necron lord, knowing little more than battlefeild tactics and loyalty to his master, begins to seek revenge on the Nightbringer and Deciever (Having a few thousand years to mull things over, the lord starts to figure things out here for the 41st millenium). Then we get the upstart psyker races, and there goes whats left of the neighborhood. The main targets of the Necron Lord go into hidding thanks to these guys, giving him something else to add to the list of that which must be delt with (Today's to do list, 1. Kill Nightbringer. 2. Kill Deciever, 3. deal with the upstarts down the solarsystem). However, the Galaxy being a large place, and the necrons having such a limited travel ability (YAY! The speed of light! Well get there in about 400 years...) it takes these Necrons along time to get back from the fringes where they were (Think otherside of the galaxy), and these guys haven't gone dorment, instead dropping in on every planet on the route back to the most densly populated area of the galaxy, wiping out necrons & scum on the way in (hence the delay).

So, to some up, like most necrons, these guys just don't like anybody, however, unlike most necrons, these guys want to kill off other necrons before everybody else, and don't have a big old C'tan to follow around. As well, these guys have been hoofing it back from the middle of nowhere for the last whoknows how long to kick fellow necron rear. The army list is going to include at least one of every necron unit (If I ever get to use it fully, only doubles will be warrior squads and lords).

So, interested to here what you have to say.
People ask how come I play such a twisted army. I reply that I have the heart of a young boy; in a jar right next to his brain.

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline Inquisitor Daedalus

• The Wicked
  • Ancient
  • God's in his Heaven, all is right in the world
Re: Yggdrasil & The Necrons...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 11:53:40 PM »
It's definatly an interesting idea. ;)
At least it's original.
Ah hell, go for it. If people yell at you, who cares. :P

The speed of light!

Uh, they go fast than the speed of light actually. Much faster. Exponentially faster.
Also, time stops at the speed of light, so there. :P

Well get there in about 400 years...
What's 400 years when you've been in stasis for 400 million? :)
"Every war is fake, every disease false and every famine virtual. The Imperium has become a stagnent pool of heresy and I am here to stir things up."
- Inquisitor Daedalus

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: August 1, 2004, 12:00:04 AM »

The speed of light!

Uh, they go fast than the speed of light actually. Much faster. Exponentially faster.
Also, time stops at the speed of light, so there. :P

Well get there in about 400 years...
What's 400 years when you've been in stasis for 400 million? :)

See, this is why I ask, as I know so little. Going faster than the speed of light... still nothing compared to warp travell. I hope...
People ask how come I play such a twisted army. I reply that I have the heart of a young boy; in a jar right next to his brain.

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
« Reply #3 on: August 1, 2004, 09:32:59 AM »
Thanks for the compliment Yggdrasil, I'm also a fan of Norse names, it's why I tried out the space wolves ;D

As far as the fluff, most of that does make sense, there's just one or two inconsistencies. The first is that Pariahs are the Deceiver's creations. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not sure how they'd get ahold of them without being on somewhat good terms with the Deceiver. A way around this might be saying the Lord didn't know it was the Deceiver who'd tricked the Nb or some such? Maybe he got help from the Deceiver to get back at the Nightbringer, as it's a very deceiver like thing to do to turn other Necrons/C'tan against each other. I like the way you personify your Lord though, I was stuck in a mind set of simple machines; but after reading a passage from the dex I found that while most are just machines, there are those who maintained something of their former selves, even if it wasn't much. So yeah, I could see a renegade Lord who refused to join the NB(presumably what the others did when he killed their masters, though this isn't covered in the dex so you're good to go  ;)).

Lol, as far as Warp travel, it's true that the Crons are stuck in this world, but they're the best at functioning here. I've got a few friends who could just never live down that the Eldar were created for the sole purpose of defeating the Necrons, lol. Actually I'm under the impression that they probably aren't as fast as warp travel in the long run, but covering short distances there's no other craft like theirs. There's some blurb about a Necron ship or group of ships getting all the way to Mars before the Imperium could stop them, and that was speed alone as they didn't fight back. So yeah, we're better at some stuff and worse at others.

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: August 1, 2004, 05:23:07 PM »
It seemed to me that the Pariah was a joint C'tan effort (codex does mention several group C'tan projects), so I figured that constructing new pariahs wouldn't be to difficult for one who has only to follow the instructions left by the master ( and these instructions wouldn't get warped by multiple readings, as there aren't many of the smarter necrons about).

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline Foxfire

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2004, 07:03:53 PM »
Hmm...the Pariahs are humans who went through the same process as the Necrons did when they traded in their old bodies for metal ones, or at least through a similar process after the Deceiver woke up(a few millinea before the NB). The codex made it appear that they were Adeptus Mechanus recruited into the Necron fold, what they worked for their whole lives being nothing more than being added to the Necron ranks. Didn't figure the machine god was just a coincidental name? Lol, but maybe I'm wrong, it's been a while since I read that particular part of the codex.

Offline Gafgarion

• moo?
« Reply #6 on: August 4, 2004, 07:26:27 AM »
Interesting concept. Always nice to see something new, though I'm a little edgy on the whole concept of the renegade necron as I would've thought they are essentially one force and not divided.

Still, necrons are primarily egyptian themed, how you will change them to something alltogether more norse is beyond me, seeing as the concept of the necron isn't something that really fits in with norse mythology.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2004, 07:27:41 AM by Gafgarion »

-god damn ninjas!!

Offline Foxfire

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: August 4, 2004, 08:25:03 AM »
Lol, well, I know a bit about Egyptian myth, which thanks to you I'm now considering on throwing into my army, but I know a lot more about Norse so maybe I can try and help out?

Hmm.....well, squad names wouldn't be difficult, the snake like Wraiths becoming the Jormungand unit and what not, I'll assume you're looking for more than just unit names though?

Given the undead feel of the necrons, there are several names from mythology I would capitalize on were I you, though I'm sure you're already aware of these ;) Nidhog, the dragon who devours corpses in the land of the dead; Hel, the half corpse maiden cursed to rule in the land of the dead; Garm, the corpse eating Wolf Hound from the land of the dead and all that other good stuff from the land of the dead  ;D

So yeah, plenty of names that'll fit in with the Crons. If you wanted to make a force of "good guys", a rather new angle for the Necrons as they're trying to exact vengeance on the bringers of evil(how much more Viking do you get, right?), you could always make them like.....Valhalla Necrons, dead warriors come back for Ragnarok and what not. Just some brainstorming on my part though, have fun with the effort.

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: August 4, 2004, 10:28:41 PM »
The Necrons seem to me to have been misplaced, with only the egyptian pyramid and mummy idea holding it to that though, with many other sets of mythology having undead warriors marching forward to battle (None more so than the Norse).

Anywho, while working more on the fluff, I've managed to pick up some necrons (About 40 warriors, 16 odd sarab bases, 3 destroyers, a single wraith and a lord on foot) and was wondering what should I be looking for to expand this to a well rounded force of about 1500 points?

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline Foxfire

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: August 4, 2004, 10:43:45 PM »
Either more Destroyers or a Monolith, the destroyers giving you more mobile fire support and the Monolith helping you advance your warriors along the battle field.

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: August 6, 2004, 02:07:07 PM »
Alrighty, fluff time!

During the heyday of the C’tan and their Necron legions, which created a mighty Empire, which spanned the galaxy like little else, there existed one C’tan of whom was referred to as “Baldur”. This particular C’tan, while not the most powerful, was among the most ingenious of its kind. Such was the vastness of the ideas that spouted from this particular C’tan, that Baldur relegated the task of storing such ideas to his hundreds of Necron generals, called Einherjar by their master, who while lacking much of their former personality, still grasped much of their former intellect. However, one C’tan, above all others was jealous of the goodwill loaded up Baldur by the other C’tan, and as such, the Deceiver plotted to destroy Baldur in such a way as to forever be rid of this pest. In plotting, the Deceiver pitted the most powerful, and most shortsighted, of the C’tan to strike a swift blow to the popular Baldur. As such, the Nightbringer paid a visit to the far-flung lair of Baldur, where Baldur welcomed his brethren with open arms, only to be slain swiftly by the Nightbringer as the first C’tan victim of a mass wave of C’tan slayings. However, such was the grief of the fellow C’tan (Who where most worried with the loss of one of their number) that they set out to resurrect the slain Baldur, hoping to construct a wondrous plan. However, key player, the Deceiver, would have no part in this plan, and as such the whole plot fell apart. However, Baldur had made plans in case of such a dire situation, though they are but little more than a footnote. Yet such footnotes where the domain of his Necron generals, who went at once to implement such a plan, like computers programmed to fulfill their task with unerring accuracy, yet the task would need for the Nightbringer to be slain in such away that from its star spanning cadaver, Baldur could be made whole, weak for a time yes and lesser than before, but whole once more. As such, Baldur’s necron legions, under the Einherjar, march forward to destroy the Nightbringer, and wreak havoc upon the upstart races, using the plans of their master to create and repair their automatons. However, the distance involved in getting back to the well-populated centre of the universe is a long journey, with many stops along the way to regroup, and it has taken many millions of years to get this far. The host that the Einherjar lead face many hurdles, for their two greatest enemies are some of the last of the C’tan to survive, and the only other friendly C’tan remain dormant. However, like the Necron race, they have grown patent, and know that one day, sooner or later, the Nightbringer will face his Ragnarok.

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline Foxfire

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: August 6, 2004, 02:21:28 PM »
Sounds good to me. Not exactly how I see the C'tan myself, but it isn't written down anywhere that one C'tan can't (whoa...those two words look weird together) be friendly with another, so I figure it's plausible. :) Have fun with your new Crons.

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: August 8, 2004, 01:26:35 PM »
Well, freindly would be streching it alittle, but I figure they are one race, and there was some cooperation (In the war against the Old Ones), and losing on of your own to another of your own would kinda stink, and I tried to get across that Baldur was one of the C'tan involved in the C'tans many experements (a member of a C'tan think tank if you will) and to lose that to the NB, whose only real assest is its blunt power, would be kind of upsetting.

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 02:37:24 PM »
Played two games with Necrons yesterday (Against TheOnlySpiral), using a tweaked caputre the hulk senario and a follow up game. For my list, I took what I had (I need flayed ones so bad...)

TheOnlySpiral's list looked something like this

DA Command Squad w/rhino, Chaplin EC, melta-gun
Termie squad w/ many lightening claws and thunder hammers
10 man tac squad (with plasma cannon)
7 man dev squad (2 lascannons, 2 launchers)
10 man CC scout squad
All squads had a vet. Srg with power weapon and stubborn (even the devs).

Lord
39 warriors broken up into three squads
Scarab Swarm w/10 bases
3 Wraiths
3 Destroyers
Monolith

First game, I split up my troops, hopping that they could take and hold table quaters, with the lith near the middle, holding back the 19 warriors. It went badly, with the lith being blowing up before the warriors in it could get on the table, the destroyers and Wraiths being mauled in CC, the lord being quickly downed, and the other warrior squads being mauled in CC by a DA command squad with Chaplin and EC. The scarabs held up the termies for a couple of turns, even killing one (Yay!), but they two died a horrible death. I hit phase out, and the game ended...

Second Game, being played again in the space hulk, but with the dawn assualt mission (exact same lists), with me as the attacker, Marched everthing forward in a large press of warriors (no hidding in the lith!), the lith and scarabs being held for deepstrike. The wraiths hit the tac squad (they did kill it, but it took 4 turns, and the death of two wraiths), destroyers shooting into the scouts, and the lord in the middle of the sea of warriors. Eventualy, the game ground down both sides, with the termies being sliced open by the lord, and even though I did kill ever Marine model on the feild, I was one model away from phase out (Lith helped save me, though it didn't kill a single model. It kept teleporting warriors to safe ground, keeping them from nasty power weapons).

So, while I learned the Necrons are the EXACT opisit of the DE, the DE packing some serious offensive power, but being unable to take much in return. The Necrons are lacking much offensive umph (I2 doesn't help), but do have a staying power which is amazing.

Now with Extra Lung!

• The Wicked
  • Ancient
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 03:17:38 PM »
Yeah, they are almost polar opposites. Makes for a good second army I guess. :D

Congrats on the win. Even though it was minor and you lost your first match, it's all part of the learning experiance.

What I would suggest to get for the future is more Destroyers and some Tomb Spyder. The Destroyer can pump out prodigious amounts of firepower and the Spyders are absolutely the best for counter attacks, I have found. Just the other day I had one crush 4 Bloodletters in one go. ;D
They also help with WBB rolls and let your Warriors be a little more independant.

If you like Wraiths, then get more, but generally, most don't. As I said, I would probably suggest Destroyers over the Wraiths for a list like this.
"Every war is fake, every disease false and every famine virtual. The Imperium has become a stagnent pool of heresy and I am here to stir things up."
- Inquisitor Daedalus

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 11:17:37 AM »
The codex made it appear that they were Adeptus Mechanus recruited into the Necron fold, ...

No, there's a planet that was set off course or something and all the inhabitants of it got the Pariah gene, these guys were harvested by the imperium for Culexus Assassins, and Necrons started doing the same for their Pariahs, if it was normal guys like people from the Adeptus Mechanicus then they wouldn't be souless
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline syth773

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 09:18:04 AM »
i think the fluff in the codex says that the deceiver is actually the mechanika god they worship, he gave them knowlage and they got access to paraiah technology (thus the caladus and culexus assasins).  it shows in one story of one guy who found out that the deceiver was the machanics god and went insane (ripped all the implants and stuff out of his body, ouch).

Offline Foxfire

• Ancient
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 11:28:24 AM »
Lol, they've been trying to keep us in the dark for a lot of the C'tan backstory. The Dragon was supposed to be the machine god...but the Deceiver definitely fits the bill also. I'm looking forward to the release of the Outsider model though, he looks interesting. I'm wondering though how strong the remaining two will be. The Nightbringer's supposed to be the most powerful of the C'tan, but he got betrayed and is all weakened, so he's just barely stronger than the Deceiver now. I hope the next two aren't more powerful than he is, though logically they could be easily enough. I mean, the NB's strength lies in blunt straightforward strength, if the other two are stronger than he is and have other abilities not geared solely to destruction, it'd make him kinda pointless I'm thinking.

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 03:51:17 PM »
There's also a piece of fluff in a WD saying the Dragon is the most powerful.  Never take any of the more powerful stuff as a dead cert.  Neither is there necessarily even a C'Tan the machine god, they just hint that he could be.  The Callidus assassin has the C'Tan phase sword because an Ordo Xeno kill team managed to retrieve a number of them, not because a C'Tan gave them the technology, and the Necrons nor C'Tan did NOT create the Pariah gene, that's a genetic "fault" that occurs in few humans, and all the humans on that lonely planet.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

• The Wicked
  • Ancient
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004, 06:16:38 PM »
No, the C'tan did create the Pariah gene. Just before they went into stasis they implanted it iin some so that when they came out of stasis, the gene would have multiplied and they could use them in the future to combat all the psychers.
- Inquisitor Daedalus