News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: new necron dex, what you want  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Admiral Stukov

new necron dex, what you want
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:19:35 AM »
im just thinking about what the new codex for the necrons will b like. will they be more costomisable or still a army for newbies and ppl who hate tactics, or will they be made more like space marines in the sense that they will be given endless costumablity, also will wwb somehow be made difernt(warriors have a less chance of returning than immortals). i personaly would like to c flayed ones made a troop chioce and maybe another vehicle in the armoury. what would the rest of the community like too c in the next codex necrons?

ps does anyone know when this is coming out?

“Okay, so basically, be afraid of everything…” I said, panting. Just helping a Space Marine stand was hard work.

“Hey, you’re a Guardsman…” began Saladin, snidely. “You’re should already be afraid of everything!”

Offline AcidReign

Re: new necron dex, what you want
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 04:01:21 AM »
Actually hope there isn't too much "gutting"  Maybe more of a few rule changes.

Pariahs get universal rule of "feel no pain"

Troops (warriors) get "slow and steady"

Wraiths and FO get rending claws

That's about it right of the bat. Might think of one or two more items.

~ar

Offline Riaddon

• Survived the Howard hex
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 06:55:25 AM »
Wraiths for a pointboost rending and maybe an extra wound

flayed ones a way to deal with something that has some armor, rending again a possiblity like above.

I like the way necrons as a whole function, but they have problems taking down things with an armorsave, in particular the 3+, since its cheap enough to field lots of them, but enough to save against almost all necron shooting. Also pretty much any unit exclusively dedicated to hand to hand is pretty poor at it.

Beyond that, I found all other units to work perfectly as intended, warriors, immortals, monolith, destroyers, swarms and lords all function fine as far as I am concerned.

Flayed ones and wraiths seem to be the problem to me. (And I can live with a point boost)

3000pts Tau, 4500pts Space Marines, 5000 pts Tyranids, 3500 pts of Eldar, 2500 pts Necrons, 4000 points worth of orks. (and some imperial guard, I know, addiction, shush)

Offline Talon Undecided

• Full Bird Colonel; Old School Necron Hunter Adept; Best Painted Rough Riders
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
  • Armies: Astra Militarum, Evil Blood Ravens, AdMech
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 07:46:44 AM »
Hmm, Pariahs should have base two attacks.
Imperial Guard Poster of the year '09!
Good golly that was ages ago.

Astra what now?

Offline Halfpast_Yellow

• ##Don't run! We are your friends!##
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 09:41:19 AM »
Or Warscythes should grant +1 attack IMO.

I don't think we need any rending units, because I'm pretty sick of the rending rule, but Wraiths need something. Heavy Close Combat Weapons is the best idea I think, and a WS increase would go with them well. WS6 Wraiths with Heavy CC weapons would fill a nice niche in the Necron army as IC hunters, with the perfect unit statline and size for character hunting, but a small points boost and low numbers would make them ill-suited for a good return against line troops.

Flayed ones are quite useful in there current incarnation. Because they are such a strong synergy unit, they will benefit by default from any boosts to Necron Lords and Pariahs (agree with FNP)  anyway.

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 01:19:19 PM »
Well, they can't still be an army for new players and people who hate tactics since they aren't that in the first place.  They are more forgiving than some armies, so they aren't unfriendly with new players, but they are definitely a tactical army, and trust me, I've played several, I know. 

As to when it's coming out, not for several years, probably.  The Necrons are one of the newer codices, and as it is GW doesn't put them out very quickly anyway.  It won't be in the near future, at any rate, though with the help of a big campaign, we might get some new units or a campaign-specific codex like the Speed Freaks for the Orks.

Also, for future reference, try not to use internet-speak abbreviations on the board.  If you want to use the word "see", type out see, instead of the letter c.  Thank you.

Offline creative

• power of the shroom's
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 05:53:07 PM »
I think that the necrons need more low AP weapons for taking out units like space marines or chaos. I also think that wraiths really need power weapons, or at least heavy weapons. Also flayed ones could use beater weapons, like rendind or power weapons.
Capture the dream

Honer the hedgehog

Offline Chosen40k

• Owned
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 07:10:34 PM »
If there is a new codex, only change one thing:

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S UNDEAD GIVE FLAYED ONES RENDING!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 07:11:35 PM by chosen40k »
On the topic of 40k vs. any other SciFi universe:

Quote from: Albatross_4Sale
the moral of the story, don't beslubber with warhammer 40k its just too overpowered and it is no fun to fight with.
Dawn of War II Unit Voices
Dawn of War II Community

Offline BlueAnubis

• <3V1L L33T>
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 08:17:45 PM »
I think the codex is really good the way it is, and only needs a few changes.

Res orb should be an upgrade option not wargear 35pt. Lord should not lose the SOL when they get a warscythe or it should cost no points to switch if you do not keep the SOL.

Flayed ones become a troop choice, otherwise I think they are good the way they are. So if someone wants to do a CC army they can now.

Destroyers can switch their gauss cannons to a heavy gauss cannons, or make it cost 5pts more and give the heavy gauss cannons a small blast temp.

Pariahs need to be able to use the monolith, have I4, A2, warscythes give S+2, and I think counter assault would be good on them to.   

Wraiths need to be 30pts

C'tans need a +3 inv save, it makes no since that wraiths have one and they don't.

Add one new elite & one new heavy.

C'tans need a +3 inv save. It makes no since that wraiths have one and they don't.

Add one new elite & one new heavy.

I really like this rumor.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75046
All you need to do for the monolith is roll a d6 for every dead necron in the unit on a +4 they come back. This would really speed the game up.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 08:20:12 PM by BlueAnubis »
Earth is a grain of sand in a endless desert. D33p

Offline Tyranid_Wannabe

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Es ist ein schönes Schiff
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 12:01:16 AM »
For changes to the necron codex I would make only a few changes;

Reword alot of the codex to make it clearer for what is allowed and what isn't

Give the option of having only one flayed one unit as troops whilst any other flayed one choices will count as elites. These can give people the cc army they need- up to 4 units of flayed ones but still letting them retain their "elite" status.
I would also make it to have 1 monolith you have to have two units of warriors. So to have 3 monoliths you must have 3 warriors squads- then I would give monoliths a small decrease in points. Hopefully this would wipe out the 3 monoliths in 1500 pts which is kind of unrealistic and unfluffy.
Give the lord a peice of wargear which allows unit within 12" to have a wwb roll on a 3+ (say it would be 40pts?)
Wraiths to 40pts- Whats with that extra point, its really annoying :(
Give pariahs an extra attack
Get rid of Heavy destroyers but allow normal destroyers to upgrade to a Heavy Guass Cannon for 10pts, raise the destroyers price to 55pts and make squad selection 2-5.
Like Blueanubis said make one extra heavy unit and one extra elite unit

Just my thoughts which I think would make necrons more balanced

Heed my wisdom, ignore my ignorance

Offline Scout-Commissar Squeaky

• YA RLY!
« Reply #10 on: April 2, 2007, 01:40:13 AM »
I would also make it to have 1 monolith you have to have two units of warriors. So to have 3 monoliths you must have 3 warriors squads- then I would give monoliths a small decrease in points. Hopefully this would wipe out the 3 monoliths in 1500 pts which is kind of unrealistic and unfluffy.
wouldnt that make u have 6 warrior squads for 3 monoliths?
anyway i would like to see wraiths as monstorous creatures, rending claws on wraiths/tomb spyders, maybe uppity the Guass Blaster a bit
We wanted peace, but they would not give us peace. So they shall have war.
-Leon Trotsky.
Armies: Knights of Cydonia (Space Marines) Scout Company, Steel Brethren CSM, 759th Halamorian Regiment.

Offline Tyranid_Wannabe

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Es ist ein schönes Schiff
« Reply #11 on: April 2, 2007, 01:57:06 AM »
Ahh yes I meant 6 warriors squad  to have 3 monoliths , not 3 :-\. Thanks for the correction.

I don't think the guass blaster needs to be put up any bit- its quite strong as it is.

Wraiths as monstrous creatures- it kind of defeats the purpose of wraiths in fluff being stealthy and silent.
Heed my wisdom, ignore my ignorance

Offline Scout-Commissar Squeaky

• YA RLY!
« Reply #12 on: April 2, 2007, 03:13:48 AM »
true, i would like to see tomb spyder WS up a bit (kinda defeats the purpose of high strength and attack stats, monstorous creature for....... a crappy WS number which i cannot say......dang.....

Edit by Foxfire: Avoid posting sequences of stats, GW is really touchy about that, you can't go throwing their codex numbers about all willy-nilly.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2007, 02:59:21 PM by asmman »
We wanted peace, but they would not give us peace. So they shall have war.
-Leon Trotsky.
Armies: Knights of Cydonia (Space Marines) Scout Company, Steel Brethren CSM, 759th Halamorian Regiment.

Offline green hell

« Reply #13 on: April 3, 2007, 02:14:07 AM »
I would like to see scarb swarms as a troops choice, and maybe give Necron Lords that INV save as standard. Maybe also give your lord an actual retinue would be nice too. I don't know why everyone wants to give FO and Wraiths rending, maybe a higher S instead? I'm not to keen on a squad of FO's being able to take out a Wraithlord with rending. Destroyers getting a scout move would be cool. Necron Warriors are fine as they are, I'd like Pariahs to count towards the phase out though, maybe people would use them more. The Monolith seems fine to me as well. I have heard other people say they want a +3 INV save for the C'Tan, why? They have a great T characteristic, so they can't be insta killed by ANY weapon in the game, a +3 INV save would completely unbalance the C'Tan. I can't really comment on Tomb Spiders as I don't see them used very much. I like Heavy Destroyers as they are as well. I'd reaaly like the Necron Codex to be the next one after the Orks, I'm pretty sure that won't happen, but it would be nice. I like Necrons, they're fun, forgiving, easy to paint, and have great rules. I hope GW does a great job with them....
Out of step, with the world

Offline The Void Dragon

• Nuclear Launch Detected
    • 111th Valenian Legionaries- I'm going to update, I promise!
« Reply #14 on: April 4, 2007, 08:30:20 AM »
Wraiths need a boost. Right now they are completely useless, as a squad of Space Marines will easily beat them down due to the equal WS, Armor Save and Toughness.

Offline TheGreatAvatar

• H. A. A. W. G. S.
« Reply #15 on: April 4, 2007, 11:43:54 AM »
While I don't think Wraiths are useless, I would like to see them get either their attacks are power weapons OR increase their unit size to six.

Tomb Spyders being able to carry a ResOrb would be cool. 

Allow FO to be taken as troop and introduce a new unit that's an upgrade to them as an elite choice (much like the Immortal is to the standard Warrior).  This new unit would have similar stats to the Immortal but have a power weapon instead of a blaster.

Allow the Lord to be upgraded to a "Wraith" Lord.

Tighten up the wording on the special rules.  WBB is fine it just needs some rewriting.

Offline Recluse

• Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law
« Reply #16 on: April 4, 2007, 03:24:02 PM »
Something about pariahs, not counting towards phase out is an advantage.  Every shot at them is not going towards phase out.  If you lose a pariah, your phase out count has not been lowered.  As long as the enemy has left at least one Pariah alive, they can still offer support. 

Flayed ones may not eliminate an enemy squad in one round of combat, but with support or against a low leadership army they can grind the enemy down over a while.

To make scarabs a troop you would have to drop their speed for balance reasons.  Wait, they don't seem so useful anymore.  You could also use this to make a Necron army with no Necrons.  Would that have no Phase out or Phase out before the game begins?

The points for a wraith suck.  Most Necrons have a nice round points cost and not a lot of things to fill in an odd number.  I don't care if it is higher or lower or what they have to do to balance it, I just want a nice pretty number like all the other machines.

Necrons are not the flashy my weapon can kick your weapons ass army; they are plain and resilient.  Necrons are not a Space Marines chapter so stop trying to make them into one.  :P
There will always be a larger fish.

Offline Benandorf

• Waaargh! Orkz Ruinz me Life!
  • Why so heretical?
    • Texas ...TeamPlayers...
« Reply #17 on: April 4, 2007, 05:38:53 PM »
But without pariahs, you've already lost those numbers towards Phase Out.  If even a single pariah survives the battle, then you hurt your phase out number by buying them.
Quote from: Yuenglingdragon
When life gives you anything, charge it with Genestealers.
Alarm clock? Genestealers.
Your boss? Genestealers.
The rednecks that cut in front of me at Wal-mart like I didn't have anything better to do than stand in line? Genestealers.

Quote from: unknown
Asking for advice on using VC to beat O&G is like saying "I'm 6'3", work out, and consider myself pretty tough.  Can anyone give me advice on how to beat up the handicapped kid down the street?"

Offline Recluse

• Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law
« Reply #18 on: April 4, 2007, 08:28:09 PM »
It is true that Pariahs will bring your Necron and Phase out count down, but I do not think that that is necessarily bad in all situations. 

I was thinking that if your opponent is focusing on phasing you out, he will have to decide Whether he will shoot at the Pariahs which will not get you closer to phasing out or a Necron that will bring you closer.  Pariahs do lower your Phase Out number, but so does everything that is not a Warrior/Flayed One.

Pariahs are also too expensive to field in large numbers and that is a major way to keep WBB.  They would be more expensive if they had WBB and would be even harder to field in a larger unit.  Dropping WBB lets them have some nice special rules and weapons when the cost would not be worth the benefit if they did have WBB.  If they were given WBB and wanted to stay a reasonable cost, they would definitely lose being Fearless and either their Soulless rule, Warscythe, or their gun.
There will always be a larger fish.

Offline Amphetamine Parrot

« Reply #19 on: April 5, 2007, 01:02:09 PM »
I don't play necrons personally, but i've played against a few necron players and its usually a very boring game. necrons don't have enough variety in their weaponry and wargear sections. they need some more guns, more options. the wraiths and pariahs aren't worth their points and this leads most necron players to have a mostly shooty army which isnt always fun to play against. the flayed one's are fine, maybe it would be cool if they got some more options weapons-wise, or if you could field them as troops, that would ensure that not every Necron player fields an all-shooty army.

cheers.
I DEMAND NEW DARK ELDAR!!!