News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Canoptek spyders with veil of darkness legality?  (Read 3610 times)

Offline rumple

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: necrons
Canoptek spyders with veil of darkness legality?
« on: April 12, 2014, 05:11:42 PM »
Hi all,

I wondered if I could hear your opinion on the following whether it is legal and / or effective? ;)

I'm considering fielding a unit of 3 x canoptek spiders and joining them with a overlord with all the usual toys plus a cryptic with a veil of darkness. Am I correct that this is legal and I can then deepstrike the unit be it from reserve as stated in the faq or in the movement phase?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
Re: Canoptek spyders with veil of darkness legality?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 07:57:47 PM »
Not as far as I can tell. The problem is that the Cryptek is not an independent character, and the squads he can join does not include canoptek spiders. So the lord could join but not the cryptek... on the other hand, Vargard Obyron is an IC and has an even better vail of darkness. More expensive, but have fun 8D
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 02:12:42 PM »
GaleRazorwind is correct.

You will not be able to attach a Cryptek to a squad of Spyders because Royal Court members can only be attached to specific squads (listed in their codex entry) or form a unit on their own.

Independent Characters can attach to a squad of Spyders though and as stated Obyron will get you the same effect you are looking for. (This is similar to Tyranid Prime attaching to Carnifex.)

The idea is interesting enough. While the Spyders wouldn't be able to assault after deepstriking, they could shoot Particle Beamers and still pose a next turn assault threat. With high toughness and multiple wounds being right on the enemy's doorstep, I could see camping armies unloading everything they have into the unit until it is destroyed. Even if all of the Spyders are killed, this would at least allow time for your midrange shooting to get in a better position.

Offline rumple

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: necrons
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 02:26:13 PM »
That's brilliant guys, thank you for pointing out my error :) I'll look into obyron now.  The particle beamers are a great idea!
It was my thinking that as I don't have any long range fire it will give them something to deal with whilst the rest of my army moves up or comes in from reserve.

Thanks for all your help :)

Offline Trokair

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 05:50:14 PM »
I use three Spyders with Obyron all the time, sometime with an additional Overlord/D-Lord, as a threat they are great, either taking an entire turn shooting or assaulting the turn after. I often split Obyron/other characters off at this point to threaten more backfield units.  All things considered Obyron is not that expensive compared to a basic Veilteck.

I have tried Particle beamers and found them wanting, due to cost and how often the spyders die to save the rest of the army.

I wish I could field an army of only spyders, scarabs, wraiths, and the forgeworld necron bugs. But that is not relevant here.
Sometimes, the best answer is a more interesting question.

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 09:37:55 AM »
You may get your wish in 7th!

Oddly enough I never thought of this combo in my years of Necrons, and I never thought you could join a squad of Monstrous Creatures....

This is interesting though... especially if you had D-Lord and Wraiths flying up field to cover the Spyders/Obyron.

Offline Trokair

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
You may get your wish in 7th!
So I have heard, I am looking forward to the potential, though the start-up cost of buying so many more Spyders might just mean that this will continue as a dream only.

Anyway, as to IC joining squads of MC, I did not realise it either until a nid player tried to hid his wounded warlod in a squad of carnifex.
As for a D-Lord with Wraiths lending support, i find that my own often end up approaching from the other flank, so as to increase the treat potential, and any unit that moved to take on either will leave its back open to the other.

Offline Galef

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »
Sorry to break the news, but IC's can no longer join MC's in 7th ed.  You could in 6th as long as the MC wasn't a single model unit, but now joining MC's is out no matter what conditions you meet.

On the bright side, everything is scoring now (including Scarabs)
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 08:32:06 PM »
Well that was a quickly smashed idea. New edition, new tweaks to get rid of the BS (and create others.)

For note: Page 166, one of the first sentences of the Independent Character special rule. Plain as day.

Offline Trokair

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 07:25:05 AM »
Such a shame, now I need to find a new way to use Obyron and the Spyders.

How about a unit of Wraiths, I know they are already fast, but this would make them faster.