News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Simple multi-tracker question  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Shas Ui Mal Caor

• What're you looking at PAL ?!?
Simple multi-tracker question
« on: October 20, 2002, 12:10:34 AM »
Simple question;
I'm reading the book and...

If we put two of the same kind of weapon on a crisis, it become twin linked.

If we put a multi-tracker, we may fire two weapon systems.

So... what apen if I put two missile pod and a multi-tracker:
1-May I fire both as twin linked  :D
2-Fire with both as individual weapon (not twin linked)  ;)
3-Or fire once  :-\ , twin linked,  :'( being a dumb ass by loosing points on a useless multi-tracker.  >:(

thanks  :) for making sure your answer is "by the rules": this could be very important for my army list.
There are 2 things that are infinites : universe and human's foolishness. Still, I'm not sure for the first one... (Einstein)

Offline Insidious Heresy

• General, Hero of Medusa V
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re:Simple multi-tracker question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2002, 12:21:40 AM »
3 would be correct.  You would fire the same as if you hadn't bought them multi-tracker.

Offline Belgarion85

• CHECK OUT MY HOMEPAGE!
    • My homepage!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2002, 05:39:56 AM »
wait a minute here.
Cant you buy two separate missile pods, for 14pts each and then add a multi tracker to shoot with both (not as linked).  ???
"A Traitor can never be forgiven. A Traitor will never find peace in this world or the next. There is nothing as wretched or as hated in all the world as a Traitor."

Offline Shas Ui Mal Caor

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2002, 12:00:53 PM »
AS I SAID BODY (see number 2), and it would fallow the rules as in the Tau book.

So please, find me an answer because I realy think number 2 is correct (number 2 : Fire with both as individual weapon (not twin linked) )
There are 2 things that are infinites : universe and human's foolishness. Still, I'm not sure for the first one... (Einstein)

Offline Shas Ui Mal Caor

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2002, 12:16:54 PM »
I forgot to say:

It would be a "choose each turns":

1- fire with 1 missile pod as twin linked

or

2- fire with both, not twin linked

And probabilities of hits are equal (you would be more sure with the first but could hit with more missile with the "fire with both" option) so...

Offline Shas Ui Mal Caor

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2002, 12:37:16 PM »
Last points I forgot:

You don't need to buy both at 14pts, the 21pts already stand for using both hard points on the same weapon system (giving you less firing possibilities).
With the equal possibilities of destruction describe in my last post, I think it confirm that you don't need to spend two time the 14pts instead of the normal 21pts you're suppose to.
Finaly, 21pts is logic because you lose a lot of defencive (drone control) or offencive (other weapon system) possibilities for those 2 missile pod with multi-tracker and if you take some of the possibilities, the cost will be much much harder (leader 5pts, drone control 2pts, gun drone 10pts each, etc.)

Offline Orlanth

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2002, 12:40:08 PM »
Look at the codex carefully. Buying two AUTOMATICALLY twin links the weapon. Note cost for plasma rifle as +16/+24.
Twin linking is an excuse to mount target locks or drone controllers.

Normally if you have two different weapons you get a multitracker. Try give it room on the suit, it cost more hardwired.

My favourite alternative is to place two incompatible weapons on the suit like fusion blaster and flamer. Fusion blaster kills tanks and power armoured troops, flamer kills light infantry, so you really only need one tracking system as you only need to fire one system at once (ok you miss out on the chance for the fusion blaster to kill one extra very very crispy light infantryman). So instead of mounting multitrackers mount drones or target locks and resign yourself to using one suit weapon.

An example
Shas'vre: Fusion blaster, flamer, drone controller and 2 gun drones, hw target lock
Shas'ui: Fusion blaster, flamer, drone controller and 2 gun drones
Shas'ui: Fusion blaster, burst cannon, target lock

Suit two ALWAYS fires first, establishing the team target. The team leader and suit three are then both free to target seperately. This team is geared for close assault, the target lock and fusion blaster is primary loadout so three seperate anti tank shots can be got on three seperate targets if consistantly lucky (not unforseeable if they hit). Now I could have twin-linked fusion blasters for a better chance, but this would mean an expensive and overdedicated unit, it costs no more to take a flamer instead. So I mixed in some a secondary role. The burst cannon, flamers and four drones give respectable anti-infantry fire, at similar ranges of engagement as the fusion blasters. I lose three anti-tank rerolls in return for  a whole new role. If the army has no tanks left or any to begin with the anti-infantry firepower is sufficient that the team can perform normally with only a small drop of efficiency.
What I like best about this team is that when firing on an APC a quick kill (which will most likely happen if I hit) will allow the other team members to turn their firepower on the troops scrambling out of the wreck. If one suit fails to kill the tank the others can still maintain  focus on the primary target.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2002, 12:53:47 PM by Orlanth »
By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, by the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Shas Ui Mal Caor

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2002, 01:00:19 PM »
"Look at the codex carefully. Buying two AUTOMATICALLY twin links the weapon. Note cost for plasma rifle as +16/+24.
Twin linking is an excuse to mount target locks or drone controllers.

Normally if you have two different weapons you get a multitracker. Try give it room on the suit, it cost more hardwired."

is an excuse to mount target locks or drone controllers.

is an excuse to...

With all due respect men, what is that suppose to mean?
My question isn't about that anyway, its about the exact meaning of the rules:

Multi-tracker: Allow to fire with 2 weapon systems

Twin-linked: meaning you have 2 weapon of the same type

PS s'cuse me, I'm from Vior'La, easy to anger. Your combination seems good but I don't have pts for a Shas'vre and 2 Shas'ui

Offline Aerundel

• My name is Oobedoob Benubi.
    • My BatRep
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2002, 04:53:05 PM »
He answered your question, Caor  ::)

You asked if you could use 2 identical weapons on a suit separately instead of twin-linked, and Orlanth said you can't because of the wording in the codex. And I agree, as I asked the same question a few months back.

And he meant that having the twin-linked weapon rule as it is gives you another excuse (besides wise tactics) to use a few target locks and drone controllers when you have 1 hardpoint left on your suits. If people could use a multi-tracker to fire twin-links separately, then not many other support systems would be used as often.

Offline Shas Ui Mal Caor

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2002, 05:53:23 PM »
Thanks,  ;)
must have read it wrong (was kind of in a hurry)!  ;D

Sorry Orlanth  ::)

PS: Just realize a broadside with multi-tracker would be beslubberingly to dangerous  :P

Offline Orlanth

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2002, 07:50:16 PM »
Indeed Aerundel.

A. You can fit two weapons on a suit with a multitracker and fire both. You are better taking weapons that compliment each other's role.
B. You can fit a twin linked weapon on a suit and not need the multitracker and therefore be able to take a different piece of equipment.
C. You can fit two weapons that DONT complement each other and so not need a multitracker. This is only not wasteful if the two weapon systems cover different and distinct roles, such as anti tank (usually fusion blaster) and anti infantry (usually flamer missile pod or burst cannon).

Any other combination is directly wasteful unless a special case requiring hardwired systems. Hardwired drone controllers cost 2pts extra, hardwired multitrackers cost 5pts extra. In any case hardwired systems are not freely available.

No problems Mal Caor :) By the way DONT multitracker your Broadsides give one drones the rest target lock. The two weapon systems are definately category C.
By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, by the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Shas Ui Mal Caor

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2002, 10:27:02 AM »
Yes, the tactic of "2 target lock and some (1 or 2) drone" so everyone in the unit fire at separated target and has a last defencive option... should have tought of that one for my broady-babies...
This is going to cost me some pts of fire warrior...

By the way, If I have a max of broadside (9) for heavy stuff and lots of fire warrior (around 55 to 60), some pinnig gun drone (5), and a Aun (love those), do you think its a good combination to put 2 gun drones, flammer and missile pod on 3 separated crisis (deep striking of course)?

PS: I'm from Quebec, Trois-Rivière, so :
1- I will make lot of mistakes with english
2- If someone know about a 40k tournament in québec or  something like that, tell me !

Offline Shas Ui Mal Caor

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2002, 10:47:35 AM »
Add to last post:

Can gun drone deep strike?
If yes, can a unit of them deep strike while becoming independant?
IF YES, can gun drone, that are bought as defencive option of a broadside (for an exemple), deep strike seperately from the unit it's suppose to protect?

...Men, I'm full of question...
...look at all those post I did...
...maybe I need some attention right now...

Offline Imperial Warrior

• Infantry. That is all you need.
    • ImperialWarrior.freeservers.com
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2002, 11:15:19 AM »
It's not possible for gun/shield drones to deep strike if they were part of a unit as deep striking happens BEFORE they enter the game from reserves and as Broadsides can't deep strike the drones can't either.

And independent gun drone squadron could deep strike if it's allowed in the mission as they have Tau jump pack.

Offline Aerundel

• My BatRep
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2002, 12:03:39 PM »
Caor, there's a little Modify button at the top right of each of your posts. You can use it if you forget anything...  ;)

Offline Orlanth

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2002, 05:43:23 PM »
9 Broadsides would eat into your points too much. yes you would need drones. for teams of three broadsides you need two target locks and two drone controllers, with one system hardwired. Four gun drones would be enough to keep them alive. for everything else there is kroot.

Someone posted a LARGE army of broadsides and kroot with only a fire warrior team and commander as the minimum extra. I didnt like it, but i did agree about its effectiveness.

Now as you have lots of Fire warriors instead of kroot I would go along with the suggestion of giving each team drone support. Under the circumstances given, (nine broadsides) I would not use devilfish and commit myself to a basic defence. Consequently you are better off having the crisis suits with you and preferably fireknife so they can join in the fusilade.
To sneak around the back take stealth teams instead. their cannon can kill artillery.

Even then I would not like this army. You just would not be able to stay out of close combat long enough. You have no choice really but to send for the kroot or drop most of the broadsides.

Offline Shas Ui Mal Caor

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2002, 07:30:42 PM »
Body, you're being realy hard on me (don't take it the wrong way, i like it when people stand for their way to think and you seem to have a way of fighting from witch i could learn something)

But broadside are so easy to maintain alive, able to R.I.P (joke) appart tanks and the likes...  :-\

I'll think about your "drop some broadside", after all, What may 9 broadside do that 6 of them wouldn't  ::)

thanks for the advices you gave on my army because, if I find it to hard to "drop the broady-babies", those stealth attack should do some goods (almost forgot about those).
Finaly... what that "fireknife" thing to join the fusilade?  ???

PS to Aerundel : Thanks for the correction button; just tried it  :D ... simple and working well, the way I like things...  well boys, gotta go, girlfriend waiting  ;).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2002, 07:36:55 PM by Shas Ui Mal Caor »

Offline Aerundel

• My BatRep
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2002, 12:44:15 AM »
"Fireknife" would be the basic plasma/missile loadout for the crisis suits. Yet another WD I must find... :P

Offline Shas'Vre'Shi

• For the greater good.
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2002, 11:10:16 AM »
I think you can probobly drop one squad of broodsides for a tank. Put anything you want on it. The rail gun submunition is amazing, and the ion cannon is a marine killer, so, yeah. Just my 2 cents.  8) :D ;D
We, the farsight enclave are not the enemy of the other tau. The etherals call us traitors, but we still fight for the greater good. All tau are one race, despite birth place or aligience, hold no grudges, for we are all of common ancestry.

Offline Shas Ui Mal Caor

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2002, 12:25:17 PM »
Alright fellow Shas Tau, I'll drop one broad team.

I'm still worried about the hammerhead getting killed easely but it's gonna cost me less then 3 Broadside and i'll be able to get myself some other fighters (kroots maybe... but preferably a commander or a stealth team... I find stealth team good but the minimum of 3 of those per team piss me off, I would rather do some lone stealth attacks)...

If you don't mind I'll post my army and you guys could help me out?!?

And could you guys tell me how the infiltration rules works (kroot could become usefull if it's what I think it is)?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2002, 02:21:04 PM by Shas Ui Mal Caor »