News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: ARMY STRUCTURE for tau vs. chaos space marine  (Read 1323 times)

Offline crimson

• The Valkyrie's Mark
ARMY STRUCTURE for tau vs. chaos space marine
« on: October 11, 2002, 09:23:38 PM »
k, this is what's happening... i have a battle coming up against a chaos marine player and i need anyone with experience playing against them to help me build a worthy army to kick some butt... the chaos player will be using the following troops:

tactical squad - 7 marines
tactical squad - 5 marines
devestator squad - 5 marines
dreadnought
terminator squad - 5 marines
exalted chamion (or something like that)
raptor assault squad - 5 marines
bike squadron - 3 bikes
rhino with 10 berserkers
*possibly bloodthirster
predator annihilator

the points we're playing with aren't set in stone but will range from 1500 to 2000 points... I have the following at my disposal

6 xv8 crisis battlesuits
32 kroot
36 firewarriors
30 gun/shield drones
2 hammerheads
8 pathfinders
1 devilfish
1 ethereal
2 broadsides

and i think that's pretty much it... can anyone tell me what to use and with what wargear?!
"Everything we do must be in the furtherance of the Greater Good lest we return to the Mont'au, the Terror."

Offline crimson

• The Valkyrie's Mark
Re:ARMY STRUCTURE for tau vs. chaos space marine
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2002, 11:36:07 AM »
is there anyone out there who can help?
"Everything we do must be in the furtherance of the Greater Good lest we return to the Mont'au, the Terror."

Offline Imperial Warrior

• Infantry. That is all you need.
    • ImperialWarrior.freeservers.com
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2002, 02:02:16 PM »
It seems that your opponent don't have very mobile army (only one Rhino) so there isn't going to be any "Rhino rush" coming at you and that's a good thing :)

Here's some advises:

1)
Get as many Plasma rifles you can on your suits and Pulse rifles are also good so solid line of Fire Warriors are never a bad thing ;)

2)
And couple of Broadsides are good against his Predator and Dreadnought.

3)
If your opponent has that new Codex you should know that he can now choose which Champion is possessed by the Greater Deamon (he don't have to tell you who) and the host can resist the deamon so it has good change that the Bloodthrister is on your lines even when you have the change to kill it!
And if the host is killed the damn thing is possessed automaticaly :(

4)
I advise not to get any Kroot as all of your opponets assault units have many attacks so I doubt Kroot have any chance of surviving the first round of combat as their saving throw is either 6 or -.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2002, 02:04:21 PM by Imperial Warrior »

Offline crimson

• The Valkyrie's Mark
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2002, 09:38:23 PM »
wouldn't it make sense to have a line of kroot warriors acting as a flesh wall to screen the firewarriors from incoming fire?  and even if the enemy units made it into close combat with the kroot, they're only there so my firewarriors can get the f*** away from the assault... does this make sense?

Offline Imperial Warrior

• Infantry. That is all you need.
    • ImperialWarrior.freeservers.com
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2002, 02:05:16 PM »
It's sound good but I think you should invest your points for something that actually hurts the enemy ;)

Offline crimson

• The Valkyrie's Mark
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2002, 03:10:55 PM »
good point, i think i can get a 12 man sqaud of fire warriors for the same points cost as the 20 kroot warriors