News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How to beat necrons with Tau  (Read 8005 times)

Offline SledgeHammer

• Listen to Papa bear's message.
Re:How to beat necrons with Tau
« Reply #20 on: October 1, 2002, 01:00:15 PM »
Wow, lots of controversy over my little posts.  How fun.  I appreciate everyone's comments thus far.  As for the reasoning behind my taking back my earlier comments on the Necrons, well, first post was cause I couldn't beat them and was angry.  Second post was partly beacuase I realized they were balanced and partly because I proved it.  I still think the Monolith is Cheese for its points cost, however, and would argue that point to anyone, mod, librarian, or whatever those ppl are called.

I know that.I can understand that you were mad. But there is no nead to yell. The post just gets really silly if you do.
"Give me a hundred Space Marines.
Or failing that, give me a thousand other troops."

Offline Arzetch

• "Fear the Stone Crawler"
« Reply #21 on: October 1, 2002, 02:10:05 PM »

It's my favorite mods  :-*  not you'rs OK?

So you mean they can't be my favorites? But what if I say no? So  :-* :-* on all mods!

Offline Dar-kone

• No it's not a misspelling
« Reply #22 on: October 1, 2002, 09:30:48 PM »
                 Guess what!!
you dont have to quote every word everyone says sledge!

Alpharius

Offline NapalmXZero

• Here they come....
« Reply #23 on: October 1, 2002, 09:48:45 PM »
FireWarrior rapidfire wouldn't do much good at all against an army of necrons. Let's say you have 48 firewarriors. Thats 96 shots, 48 of them hit, 24 of them wound, 8 of them fail their armor saves, and 4 get back up. So out of 96 shots you kill 4 necrons. Not to mention, they can deep strike in, shoot up what they want, then you get to shoot them back. If you put the Tau all in vehicles, you can avoid for awhile, but what good is that doing? Without any good ap3 weapons, what hope is there? If you can convince me, have at it. I don't even play Necrons, I just know most of what they can do.  
The history of Evolution is that Life escapes all Barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new Territories. Painfully, perhaps even Dangerously. But life finds a way.
-Ian Malcom -Jurassic Park

Offline NapalmXZero

• Here they come....
« Reply #24 on: October 1, 2002, 09:51:34 PM »
What I posted above were the statistics againts a basic Necron Trooper. Just in case you didn't know what I was rambling about earlyer.
The history of Evolution is that Life escapes all Barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new Territories. Painfully, perhaps even Dangerously. But life finds a way.

Offline Aerundel

• My name is Oobedoob Benubi.
    • My BatRep
« Reply #25 on: October 1, 2002, 11:04:23 PM »
Only half of the 48 hits wound? Necrons are T4, so that's 3+ to wound, or 2 wounds for every 3 hits on average. so that 24 becomes 32. Then about 11 fail the save, and half get up. That's now 5 or 6 necrons down. Not that big of an improvement, but it is correct now.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2002, 11:29:14 PM by Aerundel »

Offline FrOzEn jAcKaL

• Getting Owned So You Don't Have To.
« Reply #26 on: October 2, 2002, 12:07:21 AM »
Hmmm...

Yes, the Necrons are totally powerful against the Tau... you're wasting your breath on trying to find a way from everyone else... find what works with TONS of playtesting your strategies and see what works...

I'd have to say that if you take mostly Tanks... then you'll have almost no problem with the Necrons... If you also use Crisis Suits with Plamsa Rifles (AP 2), and maybe other high powered stuff, then you'd have a chance, just beware of 36" range gauss weapons!!!
There are few personal problems that cannot be solved with a proper application of high explosives.

I think the lack of an avatar picture in my profile has intimidated other forum members to refuse a response to my questions. I will thus be searching for a suitable graphic that will lure said members into replying to said forum posts.

. . .   (\/)     Bunny said I had an anger problem,
(><) (x.x)     I ripped Bunny's head off.

Offline OminusDecapitusII

• Watch your head!
« Reply #27 on: October 2, 2002, 07:49:36 AM »
Novath got it pretty much straight. You also might want to look out for Heavy Destroyers cause of their S9 Ap2 attack which goes through a lot of stuff. ;D
Upon death you will acieve the supreme enlightenment of your life... which kinda sucks when you think about it.

"We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence. There will come a time when the stygian night never ends, where the dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever."
               -Adept Corteswain at the Omniastery of Selethoth, shortly before his disappearance

Offline NapalmXZero

• Here they come....
« Reply #28 on: October 2, 2002, 05:43:24 PM »
oops, my mistake on the statistics. I thought Firewarrior guns were strength 4 ap 5. It's still not many dead Necrons. Especially compared to what they're going to do in H2H.

Offline Ethereal De Stia

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: October 2, 2002, 09:38:06 PM »
Aun'shi? ( + 1 initiative + 1 attack to the whole group if hes in a fire warrior squad) he has a power weapon, and if you put him in a group of warriors im pretty sure they could take out necron warriors rather well. Just Risky.

Kroot are great for tieing up the annoying units, especially the dreaded immortals which will totally destroy your lines of fire warriors..
With a shaper they might actually pull off a win ;P

I have noticed most Tau players really get involved with the race and dont like waisting precious Tau lives which is cool =P but ehh, your going to have to :)

btw, whoever said dont take broadsides ? pfft.  I have found they work rather well...

Offline FrOzEn jAcKaL

• Getting Owned So You Don't Have To.
« Reply #30 on: October 3, 2002, 01:21:16 AM »
If you plan on taking the TAU against the Ancient Evil, then take these following units... remember; HEAVY SUPPORT!

HQ; Shas'O With Plasma Rifle and Fusion Gun, with Gun drones. Hard-wired Multi-tracker.

MAX Bodyguard- same weapons and multi-tracker.

Elites; Crisis Squad w/ plasma rifles and fusion guns, multi-tracker system. Shas'vre with hard-wired gun drones.

Troops; 2 LARGE squads of Kroot Warriors... give them a shaper and save. Shaper gets a Tau Carbine (pin the enemy).

Fast Attack; 1 MAX squad of Pathfinders, with Devilfish (give it upgrades!!!)... markerlight for the Hammerheads, Broadsides, and Devilfish's seeker missiles...

Heavy Support; 1 MAX squad of Broadsides... give them target lock... keep the smart missiles. Shas'vre gets gun drones hard-wired.

2 Hammerheads w/ railguns, smart missiles, ALL upgrades, no blacksun filter unless nightfighting... (4 seeker missiles on each!!!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Remember to bond EVERY squad of infantry! They'll need it if you are to stand your ground... keep the Kroot out front to take the assaulting Necrons!! Try to get your crisis suiots and HQ close to the necrons... make them phase out...

There are few personal problems that cannot be solved with a proper application of high explosives.

I think the lack of an avatar picture in my profile has intimidated other forum members to refuse a response to my questions. I will thus be searching for a suitable graphic that will lure said members into replying to said forum posts.

. . .   (\/)     Bunny said I had an anger problem,
(><) (x.x)     I ripped Bunny's head off.

Offline SledgeHammer

• Listen to Papa bear's message.
« Reply #31 on: October 3, 2002, 01:28:14 AM »
                Guess what!!
you dont have to quote every word everyone says sledge!

Alpharius

Quote....wee...moho hohahahaah  ;D. No sorry, i just love to quote. Won't happen again?  :-\
"Give me a hundred Space Marines.
Or failing that, give me a thousand other troops."

Offline Aerundel

• My BatRep
« Reply #32 on: October 3, 2002, 02:03:53 AM »
If you plan on taking the TAU against the Ancient Evil, then take these following units... remember; HEAVY SUPPORT!

HQ; Shas'O With Plasma Rifle and Fusion Gun, with Gun drones. Hard-wired Multi-tracker.

MAX Bodyguard- same weapons and multi-tracker.

Elites; Crisis Squad w/ plasma rifles and fusion guns, multi-tracker system. Shas'vre with hard-wired gun drones.

Troops; 2 LARGE squads of Kroot Warriors... give them a shaper and save. Shaper gets a Tau Carbine (pin the enemy).

Fast Attack; 1 MAX squad of Pathfinders, with Devilfish (give it upgrades!!!)... markerlight for the Hammerheads, Broadsides, and Devilfish's seeker missiles...

Heavy Support; 1 MAX squad of Broadsides... give them target lock... keep the smart missiles. Shas'vre gets gun drones hard-wired.

2 Hammerheads w/ railguns, smart missiles, ALL upgrades, no blacksun filter unless nightfighting... (4 seeker missiles on each!!!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Remember to bond EVERY squad of infantry! They'll need it if you are to stand your ground... keep the Kroot out front to take the assaulting Necrons!! Try to get your crisis suiots and HQ close to the necrons... make them phase out...

Why gun drones? Necrons have Ld 10...not much chance for running. Those suits should get shield drones to stave off insta-kill. That or a shield generator. And if you're gonna give every XV8 the same weapons, ditch the bodyguard and attach the HQ to an Elite squad.

I assume with your lack of fire warriors you'd go all out assault with the kroot? They have a negligible save against necrons, so if you're just hanging around, screening your broadsides or something, make sure they're in a forest. Hounds would also be useful to increase their numbers. Otherwise, fire warriors would be much better for screening AND fire power.

Ion cannons on the hammerheads would probably be better. And you can only take 50 points of upgrades from the armory, so tone the seekers down.

Btw, how many points is this army?

Offline shwtd

• "Agir en primitif, prévoir en stratège" (R. Char)
    • Ordo-Scriptus
« Reply #33 on: October 3, 2002, 09:29:30 AM »
Beat Necrons with Taus ?!? HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa, my belly hurts HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa
SHWTD, from the Chaios Acodesh Ost.

Offline SteamingBarrel

• TASTY CORN!
« Reply #34 on: October 3, 2002, 03:56:26 PM »
W O W this thread is wide. Ok heres what i was thinking of so far screening a unit of broadsides with FCWs to take out destroyers.  Some stealth suits, crisis suits, lots of FCWs, kroot, and maybe a hammerhead. It will be me and ultramarnines vs, 2 necron players, its gunna be a horrible battle because i started a necron army but gave it up for tau and am going to sell them my warriors, so thier will be atleast 5 squads of warriors on the board! I was thinking about getting a very, very shooty tau army cuase this is definatly gunna be a big board.
SO YOU WANNA BE A ROCK SUPPERSTAR? LIVE LARGE, BIG HOUSE FIVE CARS YOUR IN CHARGE COMING UP IN THE WORLD DONT TRUST NOBODY GOT TO LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER CONSTANTLY...

Offline SteamingBarrel

• TASTY CORN!
« Reply #35 on: October 3, 2002, 03:59:22 PM »
So far i know its gunna be ultra marines and tau verses a heavy Necron army (at least five units of warriors) so i was going to take lots of FCWs, crisis suits, 3 broadsides to deal with destroyers, maybe some drones to hold them up for a few turns? Maybe some stealth suites as thier bound to fail some saves sometime or other!
SO YOU WANNA BE A ROCK SUPPERSTAR? LIVE LARGE, BIG HOUSE FIVE CARS YOUR IN CHARGE COMING UP IN THE WORLD DONT TRUST NOBODY GOT TO LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER CONSTANTLY...

Offline AnonGone

« Reply #36 on: October 3, 2002, 05:01:30 PM »
Tau beat necrons? Not happening.

My friend has both a necron and tau army (On top of eldar, nids and dark angels) so we tested it out.

We basicly found that running keeps you alive longer, but you will have to run into necron shooting range, and necrons will blast you out the sky in a matter of seconds.

And even if the necron player tries to make sure he can get shot at, he'll probably win.

Simple, Necrons need no stratergy.

Tau will get there ass wooped.

We also tested out a few other armies but Nec's mostly came out on top. The only noticable weakness i've found is to tool up my SM command squad with power weapons/lightning claws (Only tech marine etc.) led by a force commader tooled up too with as many bodyguards as you can afford will realy rip through necrons.

Offline Aerundel

• My BatRep
« Reply #37 on: October 3, 2002, 06:40:24 PM »
Tau beat necrons? Not happening.

My friend has both a necron and tau army (On top of eldar, nids and dark angels) so we tested it out.

We basicly found that running keeps you alive longer, but you will have to run into necron shooting range, and necrons will blast you out the sky in a matter of seconds.

And even if the necron player tries to make sure he can get shot at, he'll probably win.

Simple, Necrons need no stratergy.

Tau will get there ass wooped.

We also tested out a few other armies but Nec's mostly came out on top. The only noticable weakness i've found is to tool up my SM command squad with power weapons/lightning claws (Only tech marine etc.) led by a force commader tooled up too with as many bodyguards as you can afford will realy rip through necrons.

Iy would help your claim a lot if you gave us the army lists you used. Also, by saying that the Tau would run into shooting range, you're implying that they were flanked somehow. What exactly happened? And can you think of anyway to prevent it from happening?

Offline AnonGone

« Reply #38 on: October 4, 2002, 04:40:36 PM »
Give army lists? Wait till i get the army builder which GW
 realised and i'll start posting them up.

And what happen was the tau after about 3 turns
were 24 inch away from 1 squad on necron warriors,
 close to a 2nd squad, when you come to move your still
24 inches away and they blast you away. Its even worse
when they have destroyers.

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
  • For the greater good!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: October 7, 2002, 08:55:06 PM »
the bottom line is every army can be defeated by every army it all comes down to objective and strategy and army lists
My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
My enemies call me Mr Wilson
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'
'Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6'
'I love being a writer; I just dont like the paper work'
'Don't make me angry, you wont like it when im angry'