News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Space Marines and 7th edition  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
Space Marines and 7th edition
« on: May 28, 2014, 11:42:43 AM »
7th edition has brought some big changes to 7th edition for space marines.  I've gathered some thoughts on how changes are going to effect my space marine army.

1. I usually run 2 or 3 drop pods but with the new objective secured I want to try running all 5 that I own. Lots of marines with their high armor saves are always hard to move.  The potential to combat squad and have 3 scoring units for 1 FOC slot is very strong.

2. The change to the vehicle damage charts mean that I will have to take all my 5th edition melta squads back out of their case and replace the plasma squads I have been taking.  I will be taking more melta guns in drop pods to help combat an increase in vehicles and the increased survivability of stronger vehicle choices: Landraiders, Knight titans, and leman russ squadrons.

3. I was already running Tigurius but now I feel like he is a must to be competitive. His ability to reroll failed psychic tests should help overcome the fewer psychic charge points we will have and the higher failure rate of casting psychic powers. I will probably run Tigurius with pure divination and take an additional level 2 librarian with telekinesis or telepathy.

4. With the change to battle brothers I  want to try out a few fun combos I have been thinking about since the inquisition codex came out. A xenos inquisition with hammerhand, rad grenades, and psych out grenades joined to a unit of honor guard or assault terminators in either a storm raven or a land raider crusader.

5. I have been contemplating buying a few bike squads with grav guns to help deal with the influx of wraith knights, riptides, and flying monstrous creatures. With the change to how jinx saves work I am rethinking this idea.  I think there are now better ways to utilize the points.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Space Marines and 7th edition
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:57:13 PM »
I don't forsee my Dark Angels changing much.  While I have been enjoying my romp with the Imperial Knight, I was looking at a Battle Forged list of my Ravenwing, seeing as how I am really liking how that list plays, and added in a bit more anti-tank.  Going from running two five man lascannon squads and a knight to a Melta dread and two 10 man las/melta squads in pods gives me quite a bit more flexibility and also bumps up my melta count by quite a bit (from what I am used to running).

Also, with the changes to scoring units, I don't have to have my Ravenwing Attack Squadrons as troops so I am not shoehorned into taking Sammael.  I can take a more cost effective Librarian on a bike, possibly get a useful Warlord Trait, and also gain access to psychic powers, all while saving 80pts in the list.  That right there is a Land Speeder Typhoon with Multi-Melta.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
I think my tactical squad load-outs are going to change a *lot*.

1) A lone meltagun isn't super likely to get that one-shot kill I used to get pretty regularly.
2) Missile Launchers are pretty much completely worthless now.
3) Only one guy can attack with a krak grenade in combat, which removes my absolute best way of killing vehicles for tac squads (a tactic I used often and happily for many years).

So, I either kit the guys to kill vehicles (Melta/Multimelta/Meltabombs), kit them to strip the occasional hull point but also threaten other targets (grav/plasma), or just say 'screw it' and buy myself some flamers.

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »
3) Only one guy can attack with a krak grenade in combat, which removes my absolute best way of killing vehicles for tac squads (a tactic I used often and happily for many years).
Would you point the page where this is stated. A friend and I checked and found that the way granades work in CC hasn't been changed. We could be wrong though. If this is the case I'd like to see it for myself.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 01:58:24 PM »
Would you point the page where this is stated. A friend and I checked and found that the way granades work in CC hasn't been changed. We could be wrong though. If this is the case I'd like to see it for myself.

I'm not looking at the book right now, but a friend and I were discussing this the other day and he posted the rule he cited:

Some grenades can be used to make shooting attacks or attacks in the Fight sub-phase, albeit to different effect.  Only one grenade (of any type) can be thrown by a unit per phase.

I guess the question becomes what they mean by 'thrown'. I'd like to say it means 'shooting only', but I'm not sure.

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »
There's no change. Only one unit can throw a grenade in the shooting phase. They aren't throwing them in the asaault phase.
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.