News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 6th ed army list idea  (Read 2283 times)

Offline devil58

• cool guys don't look at explosions
6th ed army list idea
« on: July 10, 2012, 03:57:23 PM »
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been here, but I decided to post a list idea I've been tossing around in my mind to get some feedback. Forces have conspired against me as far as getting my hands on the new rulebook (tomorrow perhaps?), but I am familiar with most of the major rules changes. I still don't know a whole lot about the new psychic powers and all the rules regarding flyers, but figured I could tweak a list I had been using at the end of 5th to compensate. Here it is:

HQ
Flyrant w/ paroxysm, hive commander, talons, devourers

ELITES
3 Hive Guard
3 Hive Guard
8 Ymgarl genestealers

TROOPS
10 Termagants
10 Termagants
Tervigon w/ cluster spines, crushing claws, adrenal glands, toxin sacs, catalyst
Tervigon w/ cluster spines, crushing claws, adrenal glands, toxin sacs, catalyst

HEAVY
Trygon w/ toxin sacs
Carnifex w/ 2x devourers in mycetic spore
Carnifex w/ 2x devourers in mycetic spore

The total right now is somewhere in the 1950 range with wiggle room to go up or down. The main idea is to drop 2 dakkafexes, a trygon, ymgarls, and the flyrant right in my opponent's face before they can do a whole lot and support them with advancing gaunts, tervis, and hive guard. I've got everything but the flyrant and the trygon, and I figured I'd be getting a trygon soon anyway since I like the model so much. The idea behing the flyrant would be to counter enemy flyers, to get my reserves onto the board asap with hive commander, and be able to move around quickly and give cc support where needed. Any thoughts/input would be welcome.

PS: This list would use everything i have except 22 stealers, a broodlord, a bunch of hormies, and my 2 primes. I'm open for adding new models as well if you can convince me they would be worth it!

Offline Pershore

• You are in error, no-one is screaming
Re: 6th ed army list idea
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:33:55 PM »
This looks like a nice list to me.  The flyrant and multiple sets of TL-Brainleech Worms is about as good anti-flying as we nids get.  Only few things leapt out at me:

Flyrant - I think that you'll want to shift over to the new powers with your Flyrant once you've had a chance to read them.  I think that I like biomancy best on a Flyrant - you're looking to score the blessings (Warp Speed, Endurance and especially Iron Arm are all fab) in my opinion.  Also, Preferred Enemy is better in 6th edition so you may want to consider adding Old Adversary.  Finally, personally I'd rather have a second gun over the Talons, another set of Devourers would be great with the changes to AP- and glancing hits on vehicles, but the Heavy Venom Cannon has gotten a lot better too.

Tervigon - I'm not a fan of Crushing Claws and this would be the first thing I'd look to drop if I needed to save points.  FNP (and therefore Catalyst) has gotten better in some respects and worse in others.  Endurance from the biomancy discipline is a ton better than Catalyst, but you can't be sure you'll pick it up.

Trygon - I am not sure the Toxin Sacs do a lot for you to be honest.

It would be nice to bring the Broodlord into the army as he is a great psyker now too - just stear clear of any witchfire powers as he automisses with them, I think that biomancy is probably the best option for him too.

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »
I say keep the toxin sacs unless you absolutely need the points. With the changes to the way poison and furious charge work, poison is well worth the tiny investment. Since we won't be striking before marines on the charge, you want to ensure you take out as many enemies as possible, and a rerollable 2+ to wound can really save you from a crap roll.

I agree that Crushing Claws are probably a waste of points. Scything talons are almost always a better choice and are a heck of a lot cheaper. Use the 40 points to get some upgrades for your tyrant and fexes. I would throw toxin sacs on all three and frag spines on the fexes (I3 on the charge will still let you go before power axes).

Also, you may want to reconsider deep striking with the tyrant. Remember that he doesn't have scatter correction. If possible, start him on the table in a sheltered location.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline devil58

• cool guys don't look at explosions
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 11:01:24 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I went ahead and got my rulebook/tyrant/trygon yesterday. I've been trying to sort through all the psyker rules, and just want to be clear on how this works. So even though all units in the tyranid army except the swarmlord are mastery level 1, they are still allowed to use or buy any powers listed in the codex (ie, have multiple powers, just allowed to use 1 per turn)? Additionally, if that is true, and I want to use biomancy powers with my tyrant (because I do!), do I sub that for one of the powers he would have otherwise?

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »
Be sure to check out the 6th ed Tyranid FAQ, it does detail how Nids get to swap out powers. Note that it is an all or nothing deal, you can't just swap out one of your powers, you have to swap all of them. However, half of the Biomancy powers are quite amazing, and with the number of rolls we get on the table, certain units have a very good chance of getting the ones we want. For Tervigons, it may actually be worth investing in both psychic powers to increase the chance of getting Endurance.

Endurance, Iron Arm, and Warp Speed are all good powers.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!