News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tyranid List with (almost) no Guns  (Read 1176 times)

Offline BritishBill

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Tyranid List with (almost) no Guns
« on: June 17, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »
I have posted on a topic similar to this before, but with the provision of the Flying Tyrant Model, this is such a good model, I wanted tp see what folk thought of this list at 2000 points. In particular, I am yet to purchase the two Trygons, so if there would be a better way of making this list work I would be interested.

HQ  -  Flying Tyrant with Hive Commander

Elites  -  9 Zoanthropes.  (I have managed to get six more from E-Bay as metal models)

Troops  - 4 squads of vanilla Gene stealers

Fast Attack  -  2 squads of 15 Gargoyles with Adrenal Glands and Toxin Sacks.  I love these guys too !!

Heavy Support  -  Two Trygon Primes.

Number of things to think about

1) I only need synapse for the Gargoyles, to begin with this is provided by the Zoanthropes and after that by the Montrous creatures.

2) With the Hive Tyrant OFF of the table in reserve for turn 1, I understand the Hive Tyrant's Hive Commander still works. It only fails if he dies, that way I should get two Montrous Creatures into play on turn 2 with Synapse Control for the Gargoyles

3) The Genestealers become more flexible coming onto the table after the first Trygon Prime arrives since they can use his "tunnel"

My view is that this will be an army that will be confusing for target priority for my opponent. There are very good reasons to want to shoot anything that is still on the table immediately.

Comments will be gratefully received.

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
Re: Tyranid List with (almost) no Guns
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 11:17:10 PM »
Just so you're aware, if you say a squad of Stealers is arriving via outflank, they can't then choose to pop out of a Trygon tunnel. Only squads coming in from normal reserve get to use the tunnel.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline BritishBill

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 11:07:48 PM »
Thank you for the clarification about the use of a Trygon Tunnel, I was not aware of that. I suspect that means I should split the Genestealers, it will be OK for one squad to come in from Reserves as normal, to secure a "Home Objective" and hope another gets to use the tunnel, but the other two will probably need to outflank.

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:53:05 PM »
Zoanthropes simply aren't going to keep up with the Gargoyles, only for a turn or two will the Gargoyles be in their bubble.  You should use the Gargoyles along with the "Flyrant," bunched well enough together and at 15 strong, you should have little trouble granting cover saves to the Flyrant.  You could also lose the upgrades on the other Gargoyle squad to shield the Gargoyles that are protecting the Flyrant.  I explained this method in the Tactics page under Gargoyles, that should give you an idea of what I am talking about.  Besides, the T-Primes can handle their own.  With Hive Commander I would just stick to outflanking the GS, it will take round 2 to hope a T-Prime comes in on the table, and hopefully a unit of GS will come in on round 3, which could mean plenty of time for your opponent to avoid the Tunnels.  Besides, the GS cannot assault that round, so they will be vulnerable sitting ducks!  Bye bye GS! :'(

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline BritishBill

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 12:37:15 AM »
Yes, I was expecting the Zoanthropes to only have to provide Synapse control for one round, with three montrous creatures with synapse rolling 3+ to deep strike from reserves on turn 2, I was expecting that they could land sufficiently close to something the Gargoyles should be assaulting on turn 2 to provide the necessary control.

The Genestealers feel like the weak link to me. But other troops feel little better. A single large brood of Hormagaunts would be interesting outflanking through the Tyrants Hive Commanders ability, but if I invest a lot in this brood, then I will be miffed if it comes in from the wrong side. Maybe the Genestealers will not make the top of the "to be shot at" list and survive a little longer.