News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Need help with a Chaos Army (Fantasy)  (Read 413 times)

Offline Adryael

• I'm a llama!
Need help with a Chaos Army (Fantasy)
« on: July 25, 2003, 10:46:55 AM »
I am having SO much trouble painting my Chaos force. When I try to paint in the steps shown in the Hordes of Chaos book, my pieces come out HORRIBLE.

I have read guides, gotten tips and yet nothing works.  What ends of happening is that I get to frustrated, that I just stop doing it altogether.

I need to get a 500 point force done by Sept 1st, and I am not sure I can even paint the 12 Warriors, 16 Marauders, and the 5 Marauder Horsemen by then.  

When I try to paint small details, I end up just ruining the model.  When I try to highlight, it just looks disgusting, and very out of place.

I figured I'd come to these boards, seeing as you all seem to know what you're talking about.  So I ask you this: How can I paint effectivly, quickly, and make it look like it fits?  Is it patience? Level of tolerence?

If there is anything you can do for advice, please give it. Thanks,

--Dave

Offline Da Scribe

• Stand and deliver!
Re:Need help with a Chaos Army (Fantasy)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 04:56:30 PM »
You were right, it is patience. And a good deal of practice. When you are trying to paint the small details, do you end up getting paint other than where you're trying? And when you say your highlighting looks out of place, do you mean there is a sharp contrast?

I've seen tips that suggest working from the inside of the model outward. I usually start with the flesh areas, but go back and forth from large areas likes cloaks to those inner areas. You'll have to see what works best for you.

As far as highlighting, you can try a gradual highlighting. This involves layering your basecoat by lightening it each layer a little at a time. That way there isn't a sharp contrast between the two colors. I also saw somewhere (perhaps in an earlier post on this forum) that they use a flashlight which actually shows you where light falls, hence the places to highlight.

Good luck and keep at it.
Lead, follow or get out of the way!

Offline Hizack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 08:22:09 PM »
Quick way to paint warriors.

Undercoat black, then dry brush silver on all the metal. Ta da done.

Can't really help with the others one though

Offline The Laughing God

• Lets have a good laugh!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 02:16:28 AM »
Okay, I was like that about a year ago. I couldn´t highlight, I never drybrushed properly, and I couldn´t even glue sand to the base. Heck, I couldn´t even undercoat a model! That´s were everything changed. I bought some plastic LotR models, and started going crazy. I undercoated with a brush white, sometimes black, I practised highlighting - taking my time (if you rush, then you´re models will always look like s***) - and drybrushed the armour, etc. I did this for about 2 - 3 months, just messing about on them, before takling the real models I wanted to paint. And now? Now I´m great! Probably the best painter in my neybour hood(sp?)

What I´m trying to say is, that don´t frustrate yourself - relax, play some soothing music, get your wife to give you a back massage - you know what I mean. Painting is meant to sooth the mind, to be enjoyed. Take it light heartedly. Infact, if you have a GW store near you, get some adice off them, or pop into the mail order-point section, and buy a sprue or two to make some Chaos Warriors to practise on. Remember - everyone was like that at some stage.

Good luck -  ;)

Free your mind!