News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Painting Challenge 2015  (Read 13829 times)

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
Painting Challenge 2015
« on: March 21, 2015, 10:07:22 AM »
THE RULES:
1. Every month participants may earn points towards their total score through painting their unfinished models.  There is no need to pledge the months work beforehand. You paint what you want when you want to.

2. Semi finished models may be finished during a months work and will score you points as normal.

3. work from one month may be carried over into the following months score if it wasn't quite finished by the months end.

4. To score points for detailing you need to paint above and beyond the detail of the model.  We aren't expecting golden demon standard we just expect you to push your boundaries.  Detailing does not count for painting gems on a model or painting an embossed standard. You have to paint beyond the detail on the model to score the extra points... for example freehand, weathering or battle damage or OSL.

5. Points are available for converting.  Conversions can be as simple as head swaps or using compatible kits.  Anything as long as it isn't just built straight out of the box.

6. There will be 5 bonus points available per unit for the first time it is used in game after completion.  This is upon photo evidence of it on the table top during a game.

7. Participants are responsible for totaling their own score at the end of every month and making sure that its easily visible for me to add to your monthly scores which will be available to view in the initial post.

8. Super-heavy vehicles and gargantuan creatures can score you up to 45 points assuming you fulfill all the 15 bonus points offered. The amount of bonus points isn't a given you don't earn all 5 for detailing by doing one bit of detailing.  The level of extra work you do decides the amount of extra points you get. 

Notes;
Infantry category includes anything not covered by other categories such as bikes.
Models on 60mm bases that fall in this category (ie; Imperial Guard Heavy Weapons Teams) earn double points, as do cavalry bikes and "monstrous" infantry models.

For 40K, Monstrous Infantry models include models on 40mm bases such as Crisis Suits, Ogryns and other similarly sized models. If in doubt, scoring will be judged by group.

Points are based on 28mm scale miniatures. Points for different scales or specials (ie Battlefleet Gothic or a 40K Titan!) will be hotly debated beforehand! Miniatures are not limited to GW.

Character scores can only be claimed on independent characters or other systems equivalent.  Characters such as unit leaders are not eligible for character points.

Because we are starting a little later this year anything you started painting after March 1st, 2015 will count.  Final submissions must be made by January 5th, 2016 to count towards the challenge.

Converting/Painting/Detailing/Basing
1.Infantry       1/1/1/1
2.Characters     1/6/1/1
3.Monstrous      2/6/2/1
4.Vehicles       2/6/2/1
5.Superheavy/GC  5/30/5/5

Current participants:
                    March / April / May
Ludo                84 / 74 / 68 / 63
Dread               6 / 8 / 4
Killersquid       24 / 25
Tangi
Ambience 327  44 / 15
Grizzlykin         7 / 6 / 16 / 24
Talon undecided      0 /   49
Looshkin
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:38:47 PM by Ludo »
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Painting Challenge 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 12:07:20 PM »
Well, this is great!

I have so far painted four skyweaver jet bikes.

I am currently working on a ten man blood angel assault squad, and a voidweaver.

So what's that for the bikes? I'd say painted and detailed on each, and they are bikes so 4pts each? 16pts for the four?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 04:51:33 PM »
Painted is 1 point and so is detailed. 2 points a model. Double it because they are bikes to 4 each. 16

I've been reading your progress on your Harlequins. They look fantastic.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 10:56:51 PM »
I'm getting into the groove again so have started my harlis as well and should have the first to show done this week.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 02:28:28 PM »
I finished my Voidweaver. Vehicle painted and detailed? So 8 more points?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 02:35:43 PM »
I gotta hurry up and get started on something.  It's ironic that I can't get to painting miniatures because I'm painting rooms.  :P

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 03:16:54 PM »
Might as well throw my hat in here. Maybe it will help me keep some momentum going and reduce the amount of plastic gray out in my hobby room... :)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #7 on: April 1, 2015, 12:35:34 AM »

I'll start it off with 3 pts for March.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #8 on: April 1, 2015, 07:27:33 AM »
Nice work Dread! Love that neon green and the freehand is nice too. Keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #9 on: April 1, 2015, 11:46:17 AM »
Hope I'm adding these up correctly. (And if I understand correctly, if I get these guys properly based later, that will be an additional 1 point per model later on, yes?)

Ordo Xenos Kill Team 2 x 13 = 26 points
(13 Infantry-sized models including the 3 Objective Markers, all Converted & Painted)

Ordo Xenos Razorback 8 points
(1 Vehicle model converted & painted)

Also, both the Kill Team and their Vehicle were used in the Kill Team Tournament (photo evidence below), so that is 2 units worth of bonus, so a further 10 points total.

That brings me to 44 points for March if I am adding it up correctly.

Also, I have a question - is there any credit for making and painting scenery? (Like the big hill my Kill Team is standing on in the first photo below - I made it from pink insulation foam and painted it up for my Kill Team to use as a display base that can also double as scenery on a desert board.) If so, what kind of points breakdown would they be worth?

Many more pics of these guys, including construction shots, can be seen in my project log thread.

In-Game proof photos:

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #10 on: April 1, 2015, 12:50:01 PM »
Everyone seems to be big into the Harlequins and they look fantastic! I'm working on expanding my Astra Militarum and building a Flesh Tearers Army.

Sanguinary Priest = 7 points
Assassin = 7 points
Wyvern = 7 points
Platoon Command Squad = 15 points
Baal Predator = 8 points
Death Company = 40 points

84 Points for March
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #11 on: April 1, 2015, 04:08:37 PM »
Very nice looking models there Ludo. Your AM are just about the perfect color scheme for my taste, and your Flesh Tearers are very clean and well done.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #12 on: April 1, 2015, 05:11:08 PM »
@Ambient: i follow that thread so i know, pretty amazing work there. I wonder if you don't have the point for details with your converted razorback need to see with the other for that but i would give you some points. Speaking of razorback the picture is superbe i love it's very movie like nicely done.

@Ludo That's a hell lota point there! I will never catch up to this><

Speaking of catching up for march. I will only have one thing to offer. My autarch, painted and based wich make for 7 points I believe. You can find it in my project log :D
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #13 on: April 1, 2015, 05:28:20 PM »
As far as I could tell, "detailing" was a paintjob thing, and specifically mentions not counting gems and lenses. The only other non-detail painting I did then would be the gold lining on the big =][= and the little radar screen on the interior's front wall. I hardly think that qualifies for any bonus points. :)

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #14 on: April 1, 2015, 05:37:50 PM »
Yeah true but the head and other things weren't in there in the first place so i though maybe this would count but it's in the converting section my bad :)

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #15 on: April 2, 2015, 12:11:54 AM »
I forgot to include the picture of my platoon command squad

Detailing is anything done to the model to make it really stand out above painting it.  Examples include using transfers, weathering, extensive edge highlighting.

Conversions include kit bashing, green stuff, ordering 3rd party kits.  Anything done to the model that isn't painting to make it stand out beyond the regular GW kit.

@grizzlykin If you aren't posting the picture in the challenge will you post a link to the thread in your post?
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #16 on: April 2, 2015, 03:11:34 AM »
Please forgive me great master ludo, I am am just a folish beginner in the painting challenge.

Then here you go, the autarch :D I did some highlight on this one, crappy hightlight i know but hightlight non the less, does this count as detailed? I doubt so but asking just in case :)

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #17 on: April 3, 2015, 11:59:02 AM »
@Grizzlykin  Thanks for posting the picture!  I like the marine helmet on the base. It was a nice touch.

Detailed must be more than just the basic single color edge highlighting.

I've been talking with Ambience about the possibility of adding terrain to the painting.  This has been a contentious issue in the past so we will need a pretty clear majority before we add it to the challenge. I'd like to know what people's thoughts are on including terrain or terrain boards including how they think they should be given points.

Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #18 on: April 3, 2015, 12:29:13 PM »
Obviously since I brought it up, I'm all for it. I don't think terrain is nearly as time-intensive to paint as gaming models (at least most of the time), so I am thinking that something like my display base be treated as an Infantry model (and would score me 2 points here), and much smaller stuff be required to be grouped - like a set of 5 or so rocks counts as one infantry model, etc. A full board might warrant more available points, as might something truly time consuming and awe inspiring, so maybe leave that kind of stuff up to the group to point up?

Offline Talon Undecided

• Full Bird Colonel; Old School Necron Hunter Adept; Best Painted Rough Riders
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
  • Armies: Astra Militarum, Evil Blood Ravens, AdMech
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 09:17:19 PM »
As a TO for my LGS that used to be plagued by terrain problems every time we run tournaments, I heartily approve of encouraging terrain. The only problem I forsee is categorizing them such that we can tell the difference between say, barricades and tank traps, bastions and bunkers or Aquila Strongpoints and Fortresses of Redemption. I'll leave it to Ludo and gang to mete out the points appropriately.

This looks like fun. I'll join in the fray with my Skitarii.

5 Vanguard, 5 Rangers. No detailing, just basic basing atm.

Talon has 10pts for April.
Imperial Guard Poster of the year '09!
Good golly that was ages ago.

Astra what now?