News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Scrapyard Build-Off - July - CLOSING SOON  (Read 21136 times)

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Scrapyard Build-Off - July Intake Now Open!
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »
Had to do some home repair so I got the skin done on my dread and some of the metal base coated.   I will not be able to finish him this month :(   I will finish him up next month probably with my Nob Bikers.   

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2011, 08:05:28 PM »
done  and I'm glad I'm out of paint.  I debating on the wheels but I guess they will do I might touch them up later.  it's a bad habit of mine going over models that are done months later and finding stuff to fix. 

But the one thing I'm glad I did was make my death rolla optional.

Now on to everyone else congrats to all that have finished some very nice work happening here and to those who are carring over to next month nice work to you too can't wait to see them finished.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2011, 09:06:30 PM »
*whistle*
Mighty fine wagon typhon!

Those fender guards look superb, almost as if they were molded on the wagon.   I didn't remember seeing rear fenders in your previous WIP pics.  But that's beside the point, I'm really just in awe of how you got it to look so perfect.

Really good job!

As for my own project, I have 2 more finishing detail coats and to finish basing and I'm done.  Completion photos will be submitted either later tonight or early tomorrow morning, estimated time needed to finish the kans, 2-3 hrs.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2011, 09:59:43 PM »
I love the fenders...  It is like, retro meets battle wagon...  I am really impressed with your bending of the plasticard...  It looks nice enough that i didnt' even notice it was not OEM GW at first...  Excellent...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2011, 11:22:41 PM »
@ Typhon -- I dig that rolla!  Nice job! The bracket that holds it looks bulky and 'ard.  Very cool that you made it detachable too.  Makes me want to just build one from scratch instead of ordering another.  tbh, i was iffy on the fenders when i first saw them.  My scratch-bw (incomplete) had fenders and I didn't like them - ripped them off in fact.  Your fenders turned out great!  props!

@ Dropfall -- Feel better!

@ Skeetergod -- we all have different schedules. thanks for the props but there's also nothing lame about your project.  airborne-dakka in time for a big battle is always a good thing!  I'm just gathering a waaaghh for Oct (big battle coming up)

@ OD - can't wait to see the pics!
Athaga Mor
40k - Deathguard CSM, Deathskullz Orks, Daemons, IG Traitors

Current project: painting my new chaos warhound titan

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2011, 11:30:02 PM »
@Typhon awesome wagon.   I was going to use a set of monster truck wheels on a battlewagon before but never got around to it.  Never thought of doing fenders and I doubt I could ever get them flaired like that.   It looks really good and I really like the big rolla.    For my custom battle fortress i am going to use a mine rolla as my deff rolla (as it comes in the large tank model kit I bought for the konversion).

@Athaga Mor how big is your big battle going to be (points wise?)

@OD can't wait to see the pics of all those kans completed.

I really can't believe how much stuff some of you got done this month.  I feel like a slacker as I couldn't even finish one kustom dread.   

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
Re: Scrapyard Build-Off - July - CLOSING SOON
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2011, 03:10:47 AM »
@ AoD 007 --There's no limit to points.  Minimum per player is 2500.  Between Orks and Deathguard I'm currently fielding 12,000+ (which matches my buddy's eldar).  I'm expecting an iron warrior and an imperial player both fielding around 20k.  It'll be over 15-20 tables, about 20-24 people (we try to keep it good vs evil, but we will even out the teams), and 12 hours long... roughly 12-14 turns.  Goal is to break 200k fielded.
Athaga Mor

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2011, 07:30:28 AM »
What a [obscenity deleted] time today was.  3 kans broke during the finishing paint process, I ran out of my superb brown paint (which is from a now defunct company and was a shade of brown I've used on 90% of all my Orks, that of course I can't find an exact duplicate of since there was no name of the shade on the label, bright side it was enough to finish), all tests of my new experimental painting idea did not come out right (thank Mork and Gork I didn't try it on any of the Kans), and then of course when I finished (about an hour before having to leave for Rocky) I couldn't find the [obscenity deleted] camera anywhere, but SUCCESS as I coaxed a friendly photographer there to take pics of my guys (although it was on the hood of my car in the parking lot, you probably won't be able to tell that from the pics, she has an amazing top of the line camera and took better shots than I probably could).

Ugh.  Its always that last minute finish where everything becomes a charlie foxtrot.

Picturaz...

One of the things I tried to add to the bases (as inspired by Athaga) was some bits of this sheet metal I had found (yet again on the side of the road, maybe it's just the LA area, but there seems to always be useful stuff being thrown out).  Unfortunately I dulled out my last exacto blade trying to cut it, and then I found my superglue to all be dried out.  I'm generally happy with the basing (great shade of fall ground cover I found in a train shop, which works as a martian type landscape), but being a perfectionist I feel its the weakest part of the models.

And for the one or two of you that want to read it, here's the Fluff finale...
While most of the small town of Gogshir slumbered, Warboss Fuzzgog and his cronies continued to party the night away, drunk on the best Fungus Brew that could be stolen from the neighboring Deff Skull settlement.  In the past few days many of the tribe, including Fuzzgog's Nobz had partaken in Uzdreg's near fabled Cybork body replacements, despite Fuzzgog's warnings.  Sure it had been fun watching some of the less fortunate boyz like Naffjag running around with a malfunctioning set of 'Delux Kickin Legz' when he needed a replacement arm, or poor Skaggul who got bionic lungz and suffocated to death, but Fuzzgog had pushed these fears aside... at least for the moment.  Tomorrow he would kill Uzdreg and Krunkslag, have an army of killy machines to back up his boyz, and get back the fortune of teef he had spent.

Fuzzgog did however have to concede that it was nice to have a good Painboy like Uzdreg around, especially after most of his Nobz crashed their buggies in an impromptu race.  His most loyal Nob Mortfang nearly died and needed extensive brain surgery, to which Fuzzgog was shocked at Mortfang's recovery.  Of course that didn't matter, Uzdreg must die tomorrow.  Leaning over to poor another mug of brew Mortfang's head unexpectedly exploded, breaking the tranquility of the night and showering Fuzzgog and the rest of his party in a gore and gray matter.

"DAT'Z IT!  I'ZE KILLIN HIM NOW!!  COME ON LADZ, LETZ KILL DAT DAMNED BAD DOK!!!"  The word quickly spread throughout the camp.  Every Boy, Grot, and Snotling followed the enraged Warboss as he lead his Nobz, Powerklaw in hand to the Mekshop.  Many of enterprising Grots began touting it as "Da fight o da centree" and were selling their wares to the crowd.  Krunkslag and Uzdreg were just sitting on the porch watching the masses arrive, seemingly unaware that they were coming for them.

"OI, Krunkslag, we'ze here da kill dat Bad Dok!  You best git out of ma way!"

Leaning back in his chair Uzdreg replied "No, I don't fink I'ze dyin tonight."  Pressing a button on his handy dandy control switch half of Fuzzgog's Nobz' bionic replacements exploded, sending shrapnel into the audience.  The remaining Nobz stood stunned for a moment which unfortunately left them perfect targets for the Blood Axe sharpshooters under Krunkslag's employ.

In a matter of second's Fuzzgog stood alone, the crowd dumbfounded at the apparent weakness of their leader.  Fuzzgog just chuckled, "heh, I didn't need dem louzy boyz ta krump you, allz I need is dis here Powerklaw,"  Fuzzgog proclaimed raising his fist in the air, sending the rabble of greenskins into a cheer.

"Oh dat fing?"  Reaching onto the table Krunkslag pressed one of the many seemingly useless buttons, causing Fuzzgog's powerklaw and arm to blow up with a spectacular bang.  "Did ya need dat?  Now let me intraduce ya to my latest creation."  Pressing another button the large door slid open to reveal a dozen brightly colored Killa Kans.  "Say hello ta my Kanz.  Now everybody, say goodbye ta Fuzzgog."

Wow an hour and a half writing this and uploading the photos.  I think I'm done now.

Peace
~OD (off ta bed to dream of squig pies and fungus brew)
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2011, 09:49:03 AM »
The kanz look great...  I'll admit, I didn't think you were going to get them done...

Now, I just have to get a pic of my work...  Dropfall, what time are you going to close the thread...  I'd like totake a pic at about noon EST, so in about 3 hours form this post...  You're not about to close it are you?

Adam

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »
DANG!!!!

Just spent an hour going through this thread....great work all!!!

Hmm this really makes me want to get to work on my Orks!

Seeing as I have a bunch load of night shifts comming up'I'll be signing in for the next month with a modest challange.

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »
hahaha OD!  When the zombies come OD is welcome in my camp, I know he'll take care of whatever needs to get done... friendly photos on the top of his car LMAO!  Builds and paint jobs look great!  You did a ton of work in the last couple days.  Nice addition to your army too... points, slots and composition.  Fantastic work!

a couple small notes:  when i said sheet metal, i meant using plastic and just painting it as metal.  Most hobby shops has textured sheets of plastic card - wavy rooftop, tiled, plate steel, etc.  If you're bent on using actual metal, save your xacto blades and grab a tin snip (not your sprue cutter - you'll destroy that too... been there, done that lol).  Also. you might check Vallejo and Rackham for your brown.  Vallejo has a modeling line and a gaming line (the second closer to GW), and Rackham has some unique colors... otherwise you can also get an emptry pot and mix a batch for future use.
Athaga Mor

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »
Alright...  Here is my July submission...  8 Burna boyz with two trucks...  One was actually a rokkit buggy, but I needed to press it into service as a trukk (it was on the original trukk frame) and I added some huge tires to make it more menacing!

The other trukk is kit bashed/ built from an original trukk chasis with a lot of new parts added from the BW and stompa sprue...  Good times.  It's impossible to see with the pictures, but I actually scratch built the engine for it and it turned out great...  You can see the exhaust pipes protruding from it!

Adam 

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2011, 08:07:01 PM »
OK first off thanks to all on the comments.

@ OD  the rear fenders were a last minute addition after a few hours of staring at them on the wagon and off but I glad I went with them. 

@ AOD actually the fender bending wasn't that hard to do.  When I do the next wagon I'll do it in more depth to help give my waagh Ideas for the fender wagons.

In the end I'm glad I did it cause it bulked up the model that I originally thought was just too small next to a trukk.

@ adamscurr very nice burnas and trukks but I have a question where did you get those splendid tires for the one trukk??

Now on to you OD and the 12 kans I love them truly splendid work.  I only have one question how often do you have to feed the nid kan a grot.  When I seen it that was the first thought thru my head a grot kicking and screaming as he is thrown into the hatch to a hungry nid.     

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2011, 09:10:59 PM »
The kanz look great...  I'll admit, I didn't think you were going to get them done...
There was a brief while I didn't think I was going to get them done.  Actually a couple.  Three or Four times during the builds I really agonized over the time frame, and then right after getting them primed I was just exhausted with the project and didn't want to even look at them.  But I suppose that's how every time under the gun project goes when you're running behind on the approaching deadline.  Its good to see the old Gorka Morka Trukks, although most opponents cry cheese at them (don't see why when I still see the occasional old school Rhino and Vindicator

hahaha OD!  When the zombies come OD is welcome in my camp, I know he'll take care of whatever needs to get done... friendly photos on the top of his car LMAO!  Builds and paint jobs look great!  You did a ton of work in the last couple days.  Nice addition to your army too... points, slots and composition.  Fantastic work!
).
Thanks Athaga.  You're actually the first person to think I'd do well in the Zombie Apocalypse, most of my buds have actually had discussions on how long I'd survive (the general consensus was that I'd leave the relative safety of the house not knowing that zombies were about, I think it goes without saying we were all a little smashed at the time).  As for using plasticcard/sheet styrene... well for some reason I forgot about the huge sheet I have (probably because I haven't cut into it yet). 

I'm happy enough with them as is, probably when I return to this Project as a whole (Project in question is the IA 8 Dreadmob army, to which the Kans were maybe a 1/4 or 1/5 of the actual work) and build the Dreads I'll do it.  But that won't be for some time, I need a break from working on walkers.

Now on to you OD and the 12 kans I love them truly splendid work.  I only have one question how often do you have to feed the nid kan a grot.  When I seen it that was the first thought thru my head a grot kicking and screaming as he is thrown into the hatch to a hungry nid.     
HA HA HA.  More often then you'd think.  Actually that gives me a great idea for a new model.  Another Kan with lots of Looted Nid stuff, specifically a Carnifex brain that is attempting to eat the Orkz. 

Peace
~OD

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2011, 10:00:48 PM »
I have failed in my project. I got distracted by having to paint some stuff for a tourney last weekend which didn't include my burna boyz or their wagons. I think I'll refrain from entering these competitions in future and just get them done in my own time.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2011, 11:33:37 PM »
@Typhon:  I got them off some trukk that my son had...  He's big into trukk, car, and anything with wheels.  When his toys get broken, I often scrap them and use the parts for orks! lol

Adam

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #136 on: August 1, 2011, 01:05:17 AM »
I have failed in my project. I got distracted by having to paint some stuff for a tourney last weekend which didn't include my burna boyz or their wagons. I think I'll refrain from entering these competitions in future and just get them done in my own time.
Don't get discouraged Axeblade, there are others who didn't complete their projects too.  Its hard to juggle real life, online time, and a model comp like this, but think of it as good exp for time management.

Its your decision to enter again or not, but it is fun, and everyone gets lots of c&c on this, not to mention the occasional idea on a new project.

Peace
~OD