News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Scrapyard Build-Off! - June - Will be locked on the 1st of July GMT  (Read 12821 times)

Offline Mercutioh

• Ork Yoof
  • Chaos and Orks, Making things go squish
Re: Scrapyard Build-Off! - Every month from June the 1st
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 12:43:26 AM »
Hmm, what to do what to do.
I think I am going to put my Scratchbuilt Trukk. Pics to follow tommorrow.
(Psst, Skeeter, It's Gonna be Red.) But it has to be a full unit right?
Hmm, I've got 11 Boyz built up and unpainted, I can add a Nob and make it a Full Trukk Boy Unit. Which means I need to figure out how to do a PK from scratch. WOO!
If it doesn't have to be a FULL unit then I may just add in a Do or Die. so just the Trukk then
[smg id=4241 type=preview align=center caption="Trukk-y goodness"]
[smg id=4242 type=preview align=center caption="Trukk2 electric boogaloo"]

« Last Edit: June 2, 2011, 03:19:29 AM by Mercutioh »

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 08:44:40 AM »
this is just building and not painting correct?

i have a few things i could build that i have been wanting to work on but i traded for a battlewagon and i HAD to put it together.

i think ill try to get my FW Warboss on Bike pinned together and ready for painting.

as a bonus i have some Deffkoptas that need to be turned into some Green Barons.
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 08:51:56 AM »
this is just building and not painting correct?
No this is about finishing projects

If you consider your models finished when they're unpainted then more power to you ;) but most of us like to paint as well :P
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »
I'm little worried about the inability to read when it comes to some of the Green Menance's members. Everything you need to know is in the rules at the beginning. Also I wasn't kidding when I said don't ask about the Do or Die; we will find you.

Offline Mercutioh

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 01:23:08 PM »
AHHH! it's not that we can't read it's that our heads are so full of Waaagh that non-Waaagh details tend to fall out.

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 01:27:07 PM »
the title makes it sound like its for putting stuff together, otherwise this is just the same as the painting challenge. plus im slow at painting.

maybe it could be a 2 part challenge, one month for building and another for painting.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:32:54 PM by Plague Tower of Nurgle »
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 02:44:07 PM »
I'm little worried about the inability to read when it comes to some of the Green Menance's members. Everything you need to know is in the rules at the beginning. Also I wasn't kidding when I said don't ask about the Do or Die; we will find you.

I think they just get excited easily.   Though the ability to temporarily turn members into squigs might be a good idea.  (might be arrangeable as well)

the title makes it sound like its for putting stuff together, otherwise this is just the same as the painting challenge. plus im slow at painting.

maybe it could be a 2 part challenge, one month for building and another for painting.
Well the idea is to keep people motivated in their project rather than procrastinating.  We all do it.  Get a great idea, gather some parts bitz or whatnotz and maybe we start building it, but how often do you see a project thru?  I know with myself it gets built and then sits for months (or longer) before I think about painting it.

A month might not seem that long but honestly it is about right on.  Even if you figure the project will take you 20 hours.  If you work an hour or two here or there and have the goal to get it finished by the end of the month you can do it.  The problem is when we put projects off either when they are partially built or maybe fully built. 

It takes most of us awhile to paint.  But most projects that you have the material to build should not take a month to build.  A week maybe if it has some sculpting.  Most a night or two. 

I know I have painted 30 boyz in a month before (and not just 3 color) and although it was tough and the color green annoyed me for a month later, I was happy when I got them done. 

The idea of doing a project a month was brought up and talked about in detail.  I am sure most can agree that if you look at the total amount of time needed to complete your project and the amount of free time you can plan in a month you might be surprised just how much time you actually have. 

Since October I have been painting between 1-2 units a month in an attempt to get an apocalypse size army completed in a year's time.  It isn't easy but I have been keeping motivated.

Offline Markay

• Lieutenant Colonel | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hardcore card whore.
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #27 on: June 1, 2011, 07:33:07 PM »
I know it's a little late but I'd like to post a mob of trukk boyz with trukk if possible.

They are built and undercoated, the trukk is drybrushed silver, pics to follow.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #28 on: June 2, 2011, 01:59:56 AM »
I know it's a little late but I'd like to post a mob of trukk boyz with trukk if possible.

They are built and undercoated, the trukk is drybrushed silver, pics to follow.

Not too late at all just post up your pics ASAP.  The more the merrier.

I think I am going to put a do or die bet of 10 teef on the line.  I think I need the extra motivation as that is a lot of ard boys to do in a month.   

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #29 on: June 2, 2011, 09:02:26 AM »
I'm in the process of moving...and I hate you guys...my stompa stands half painted and half put together.  I will not be joining you this month, but just wanted to say I'm keeping up and all the submissions so far look amazing.  Can't wait to see how this goes!

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #30 on: June 2, 2011, 01:48:47 PM »
Alright...  Got my nob bikers photo'd and ready to begin painting.  They have sat, primmered for a tourney about a year ago that it turned out I couldn't make.  Since then, they have sat, and sat, and sat...  Now, they will be completed!!! lol

They are 1 wazdakka/warboss, 9 Nob bikers, fully cheesed, I mean wound allocated out...  The doc was started, and has been rusted, but everyone else is just primer

I worked about an hour and put the first layer of rust...  I used to use blood red for the undercoat over the black primer...  Recently I've been "cheating" by priming my vehical orks black, followed by a light dusting with a rust colored spray primer, followed by touching up with blood red...  Here is the result...

For the second highlight on the rust, I use blazing orangeand dab it on with a wide, brush that I cut down.  The bristles make it easy to give the orange a speckled appearance, kind of make it random.  The yellow comes next, and it will tone down the orange, which is really bright at this stage.

I did a little bit of painting today...  I added the final layer of sunburst yellow highlighting...

You can see I only hit the areas that are actually metal on the model, though it's nice not to have to worry about hitting the rest of the model.

Then I drybrushed/dabbed some boltgun metal, followed by a mixture of water and skorched brown.  I prefer a wash to tone down the silver, but I ran out, so I made my own...  It turned out ok and now I am ready to add some real color... 

I added my first layer of green.  I always start my ork flesh with dark angels green.  I find it adds a good base coat.  It covers well, and is easy to build other greens on top.

I worked a little more today...  I added a 50/50 mix of DA green and Goblin green.  I keep a pot of it and make more as I need it.  It looks really bright right now on the flesh, but the highlights later will tone it down and smooth it out...

I added another layer of green highlight to the ork flesh.  This time it is pure goblin green.  It really standes out, and makes the orks look a little plastic to me.  I'll follow with a coat of sunburst yellow to tone the plastic green down and yellow it out for highlights...  The yellow paint is so thin, I almost use it like a wash!

I have now finished the ork flesh.  It's subtle, but on the pics, you can see the flesh has a more yellow tone, which I like because it make the flesh look more natural, less plastic.

Next...  It's time for the fun part...  I'm going to paint some glyphs, put some orky colors on the bikes, and finish these beasts off...  Ahead of schedule! lol

So...  It's been a little bit since I've addedsome pics...  I had been letting the project rest a week or so while I got ready for my twins 2nd birthday party...  It was a lot of fun...  Now back to the nobz!

I've been doing the more painstaking work on them now...  I painted their amphetamine parrots and pants...  I've been slowly adding checkers, rusted and chipped paint, and painting the wires and such...  This step is the most creative, but also the slowest...  I kind of just move from model to model adding stuff as I see fit...  When I'm done, I'll give the newly painted areas a wash to achieve a more shaded effect.  I'm highlghting as i go...

Like I said, the last stage of painting for me is very organic.  I move from model to model and add highlights, colors, glyphs, and details...  I really could keep going forever, but at some point you have to say DONE, for now! lol  I'm eager to get started on my trukk and burna boyz.  The nobz have been fun, and I love the models, but it's time...

I hope you enjoy them...

It's a gud'un...  Projek Cumplete! lol

Adam
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:15:49 PM by adamscurr »

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #31 on: June 2, 2011, 05:59:30 PM »
I'm in the process of moving...and I hate you guys...my stompa stands half painted and half put together.  I will not be joining you this month, but just wanted to say I'm keeping up and all the submissions so far look amazing.  Can't wait to see how this goes!

Just remember this will be a monthly event so you will have several months to hate us :P .   Or once you get settled to hop on this train and get your models completed.

adamscurr:   Really cool bikes.   I got my nob bikers built and primed and I am sure we will see them one of these months.

Everyone participating needs to add pics of the start of their project to their post "as per the rules" this will allow your bosses to be able to calulate the teef up.   Also if your project isn't ready to paint make sure to give us an idea of how much converting you will be doing to your work.

I have started painting green flesh today and got about half of my boyz flesh basecoated.  These ard boyz will be finished this month. 

Offline Mercutioh

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #32 on: June 3, 2011, 01:04:45 AM »
so we need to put what needs to be done yet on the piece in question?
well, I'm going to add armour plates. Paint the urban Camo Scheme as a base. so my Boyz ride in style. then add Red flames. Possibly texturing the Trukk bed with mesh.
thoughts?
oh and finish the ladder on the side.

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
« Reply #33 on: June 3, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »
Here's a shot of the upcoming Ork Thunderdome. Bear in mind it started life as a flat piece of metal mesh material that I've domed and cut and cut in doors with will end up with plastic bits around them to make them safer and more realistic, and I will be adding weapons hanging from various parts inside the dome and the suspension apparatus seen in the movie as well as a nice desert themed base to match my orks and the full nine yards of weathering too (dirt, dried mud, rust)

here it is with a battle wagon inside for a sense of scale

« Last Edit: June 3, 2011, 09:35:38 PM by Rayvn70 »

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #34 on: June 4, 2011, 11:00:25 PM »
Ravyn...  Looks like a pretty awesome project! lol  Have you considered a Tina Turner ork, like one of the goff rockers tohang around...  Speaking of, some goff rockers might by awesome around the thunderdome...

Adam

Offline fireborn14

• Ork Boy
  • Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people
« Reply #35 on: June 5, 2011, 04:30:58 AM »
Hey, I'm gonna enter 3 killa kans, I've started them already, but it was on june 2nd, so I don't have any pics of them unpainted

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
« Reply #36 on: June 5, 2011, 06:48:13 AM »
Ok after confering with the other bosses, and with AoD007s tools for calculating how much Teef you'll get for completion, here's the list of possible Teef.

Skeetergod's Deffkoptas will get 9 Teef
AoD's Ard Boyz will get 11 Teef (or 10 Teef, not entirely sure how many Ard Boyz you got there).
Axeblade's Looted Vehicles will get 15 Teef or 20 Teef if you paint the Burnas
Dropfall's Mega Dread will get 15 Teef
MekEad's Warbuggies will get 21 Teef
Starstrider's Uberwagon/Looted Superheavy Tank will get 11 or 14 Teef dependant on how much you convert the model.
Mercutioh's Trukk & Boyz will get 11 Teef or 17 if you paint the unit to go with the Trukk.
Rayvn70's Ork Thunderdome will get 22 Teef
Adamscurr's Nob Bikers will get 10 Teef

It should be pointed out there are bonus Teef to be gained for quality/good paint jobs. Additionally you only get Teef based on what you've got left to do, not what you've already done.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2011, 11:06:01 PM by DropFall »

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #37 on: June 5, 2011, 02:47:53 PM »
Got a total of 22 I am doing this month.

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #38 on: June 6, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
you should put together a rust tutorial with close up pics.  Those bikes look fantastic.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #39 on: June 6, 2011, 08:04:58 AM »
Thanks Jack...  I thought I might put together a little tutorial on rusting your orks after this is done...  Though my technique was originally taken from a white dwarf article on painting rusty orgres...

Adam

Hey guys...  I wanted to encourage you all to post your progress on your models...  I'm interested in seeing what everyone else is up too...

Adam

[mod] And I want to encourage you not to double post/bump threads, I have to kill a puppy now or the Globals will be upset...[/mod]
« Last Edit: June 7, 2011, 02:34:35 PM by Changeyname »